Exchange Square 2 | Residential/Hotel | 36/14fl | 111/51m | Prop. - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 24th, 2016, 10:39 AM   #61
Support the Doka's

Likes (Received): 204

This application was submitted shortly before the outline consent lapsed, and 14 stories is the maximum height permissible under that consent.

This doesn't restrict the developer going back in with a higher proposal, now that the consent has been bagged as it were.

Birmingham liked this post
Support the Doka's no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 24th, 2016, 11:23 AM   #62
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 4827

It clearly states in the design statement that the massing and height is not for determination in this application.
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2016, 11:33 AM   #63
Support the Doka's

Likes (Received): 204

Agreed, they were set out in the outline application. If you check the dates you'll see that the outline is due to lapse shortly, so this consent is just guaranteeing the maximum heights permissible under that outline consent.

Once secured, the developer has the option of submitting a totally new application for a much taller building knowing that they have a current consent secured in case the new higher application is rejected.

Support the Doka's no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 24th, 2016, 11:47 AM   #64
Tony Bear
Up the cut!

Likes (Received): 802

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
we will get 200m there
Thanks djay, fantastic news, what a week this has been.
Tony Bear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2016, 12:36 PM   #65
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Bear View Post
Thanks djay, fantastic news, what a week this has been.
I think he was being sarcastic
Old March 24th, 2016, 01:25 PM   #66
Tony Bear
Up the cut!

Likes (Received): 802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
I think he was being sarcastic
So was I. My dry sense of humour

Tony Bear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2016, 06:22 PM   #67
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4340

So someone please tell me what is going on here. Are we getting a 32 storey tower or not?

Brum X liked this post
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2016, 06:41 PM   #68
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Read the above 6 posts
Old March 24th, 2016, 06:41 PM   #69
joshwebb
User Registered

Likes (Received): 770

Maybe on the old court site but not on phase 2 but only time will tell.
joshwebb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2016, 06:41 PM   #70
RalphGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Support the Doka's View Post
This application was submitted shortly before the outline consent lapsed, and 14 stories is the maximum height permissible under that consent.

This doesn't restrict the developer going back in with a higher proposal, now that the consent has been bagged as it were.

Yes but the new application is 16 storeys tall, not 14. This all sounds very confusing to me.

Can you please enlighten me as to what we can actually expect to get here? Thank you.
Old March 24th, 2016, 06:43 PM   #71
joshwebb
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
Yes but the new application is 16 storeys tall, not 14. This all sounds very confusing to me.

Can you please enlighten me as to what we can actually expect to get here? Thank you.
Expect what the application says.
Old March 24th, 2016, 06:44 PM   #72
RalphGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
Read the above 6 posts

I read them and they all sound like hokum to me. That said I am tired but I would prefer it if someone could just explain what are we likely to get here? Thanks.
Old March 24th, 2016, 06:47 PM   #73
joshwebb
User Registered

We are likely to be let down mate.
Old March 24th, 2016, 06:47 PM   #74
RalphGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshwebb View Post
Expect what the application says.

Okay. Tony Bear`s post was confusing me.

So basically, we`re still getting a part 9 storey, part 16 storey block with 223 apartments in instead of a 32 storey block with 400 apartments in.

So I wasn`t having a nightmare last night. It`s true.

Can someone have a word or two with the person who is going round printing stories about 32 storey towers please? Thanks.
Old March 24th, 2016, 08:59 PM   #75
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Oh dear right. I'll give this a go - the original outline application for massing etc was due to lapse, they've basically re-submitted to 'ensure' they gain at least what they originally had. Once this is approved Nikal when ready can submit a new application for whatever they want knowing that if it's rejected they still have 'maximum' consent to revert back too if that's the case.

The application is not to determine the height but that they can build a minimum of 223 apartments basically and fulfill original app should future proposal not be approved.

ROYAL BLUE, RalphGuy liked this post
Old March 24th, 2016, 09:48 PM   #76
RalphGuy

I see. Thank you for clearing that up Birmingham.
Old March 24th, 2016, 10:16 PM   #77
Ppmb80
PSS1980

Likes (Received): 522

Birmingham this makes sense.

However do we know this to be the case in this instance ? Or is it hopeful thinking ?
Ppmb80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2016, 10:41 PM   #78
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2533

There is no guarantee that they come back with a bigger building.

To some extent it is true but they haven't resubmitted an outline, they have submitted a reserved matters.

This ties them via condition to the following...

Quote:
Applications for approval of any reserved matters must be made on or before the 19th March 2016.
The development for which permission is granted must be begun before either (whichever is the later)
the expiration of one year from the final approval of the reserved matters or, in the case of approval on
different dates, the final approval of the last matter to be approved or by 19th March 2017.
So taking it line by line...

Quote:
Applications for approval of any reserved matters must be made on or before the 19th March 2016.
To keep their outline permission, they had to submit the Reserved Matters or they would not have permission. I also think from the phrase of the condition that this RM would need to be granted. If it is refused, their permission falls away but this isn't always the case. If it's not, then the outcome of the Reserved Matters is not important (if it's refused) as we fall to the 19th March 2017 date.

Quote:
The development for which permission is granted must be begun before either (whichever is the later)
the expiration of one year from the final approval of the reserved matters or
This would take us to 2017 anyway.

Quote:
in the case of approval on different dates, the final approval of the last matter to be approved
This is the final reserved matter i believe so this part of the condition no longer applies anyway... Would be interesting to see if the first half of the site has been approved and the time limit it was given for implementation.

Quote:
or by 19th March 2017.
Drop dead date and will only kick in should they get less than 1 year on the latest reserved matters (not possible), or their reserved matters is refused.

I can't see the Council giving them an extended amount of time following these reserved matters though. So i could see them getting a year to implement on the reserved matter just submitted. Which in reality gives them a few extra months (till june if it's not determined early or late) from the end date in 2017.

This is an interesting proposition though. It means they have a development they can build but may still have to implement this pretty quickly before they may have a chance to submit something new. I guess it will all hinge on how long the Council give them to implement once this Reserved matters is approved. If they do only get a short implementation period, they will need a new application anyway. As such this implementable permission would become a material consideration for any new application.

Then it gets tricky as 32 storeys is very different to 16 in terms of a material harm in light of what they already have permission for.

I think the above is correct. My brain's not working today though.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype

Last edited by djay; March 24th, 2016 at 11:18 PM.
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2016, 11:36 PM   #79
Guilbert53

Likes (Received): 2907

Append removed

Last edited by Guilbert53; August 10th, 2017 at 09:52 AM.
Guilbert53 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 12:11 AM   #80
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

Likes (Received): 7724

Here's one from 2011, shortly after the hoardings on Moor Street Queensway were taken down.

Advertisement