Wilmington Development News - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Northeast and MidAtlantic > Northeast and MidAtlantic Development News

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 19th, 2005, 05:55 AM   #61
jaysonjaz

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx
alright, some clown is arguing with me on another board that wilmington is just "little craphole town in Delaware" and that "it's a wannabe little town in a little state. A place that wants to be a Philly suburb when things are good and a "we have nothing to do with them" place when they don't like it. The only good thing to ever come out of Delaware was Tom Capano - until the moron got caught." anyone have links or articles to help defeat this joker?
I wouldn't even take him on.
Just remember:

jaysonjaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2005, 05:42 PM   #62
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 5253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323
It is a shitty little city, but the best shitty little city in the country. And he'd get his ass kicked in most of our neighborhoods. I'm just as defensive about Philly so I can't put Philly down in any way either. Try some of those tactics.
i'm the same way. i can't bash philly because my teams are there. in fact, it was a fellow eagles fan that said all this about wilmington. but at the same time, i'm not going to let someone take cheap shots at the greatest mid-sized city in the country.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 10:57 PM   #63
Builder5000

Jason that picture is just WRONG!! lol
Builder5000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2005, 06:28 AM   #64
Joe84323

Yeah somehow I feel If I laugh I'm a little closer to Hell.

"I'm gonna go to hell when I die" - Conan O'Brien
Joe84323 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2005, 06:35 AM   #65
Joe84323

Hooray!!! ANOTHER 6 STORIES OF............................. inanimate objects.

Buildings giving way to new garage
10 demolitions on Shipley and Orange streets will clear space for 370-car parking structure

By MAUREEN MILFORD / The News Journal
04/19/2005

The entire Urban family of Wilmington went on high alert April 8, when demolition work began on a row of buildings on Shipley Street in downtown Wilmington.

Joseph W. and Diane L. Urban and their three children, Ryann, 14, Joseph II, 12, and Joshua, 9, didn't want to miss the day the excavator would chomp into their old building at 907 Shipley St. For nine years, the Urbans ran their Talkin' Turkey Cafe on the ground floor of the building, before they moved in September 2003 to their new location on the corner of Ninth and Shipley streets.

"Our kids had their birthday parties there. They would rollerblade down the hallway in the summer. We have a lot of good sentiments about the place," Diane Urban said.

"We put in 60 hours a week there for nine years," Joseph Urban added. "It was an extension of our home."

Now, the Urbans have two bricks from their old location - one is in the restaurant and one is at home.

The demolition of 10 vacant and deteriorating buildings in the city's central business district is the first step in a plan to create an approximately $9 million parking garage on the site. Montchanin Development Group Ltd. of Wilmington is tearing down five buildings on the west side of the 900 block of Shipley Street. It then will demolish five buildings on the east side of the 900 block of Orange Street.

The properties are owned by John Hynansky, chief executive of the 14-dealership Winner Automotive Group. Alan Perry, president of Montchanin Development, said the demolition work could take another two weeks. Construction on the six-story, 370-car garage is expected to begin in the fall, he said.

Besides the building formerly used by the Urbans, the building that housed the Shipley Grill has been torn down. Sean Reilly, who owned the Shipley Grill from 1989 to 2001, said he grabbed a section of brickwork, to which he attached the keys to his old restaurant. Over the past several months Reilly was permitted to go into the vacant restaurant and remove anything he wanted to save.

He rescued bar items, salt and pepper shakers and several tables, including the restaurant's only round table. Known as Table 37, it was the seat of the stars. Hollywood actors like Kathleen Turner, Hal Holbrook, Robin Williams and Mitzi Gaynor sat at Table 37 after performances at the DuPont Theatre and the Grand Opera House. Reilly also salvaged a vase that held flowers given to him by Gaynor.

For Reilly, the demolition of his old restaurant building was psychologically freeing.

"The building was so dilapidated, it was like reviewing the corpse over and over," he said.

Other structures headed for the brick pile include the Copper Kettle Restaurant, McNelis Hallmark shop and Mrs. Snyder's Chocolate Chippery on Orange Street.

The work has created a lot of sidewalk interest in a part of downtown that in recent years had become a depressing promenade on both Shipley and Orange streets.

"It's a shame to see old buildings go, but anything is better than what was there," said Paul Simonds, co-owner of Mutt's Hot Dogs, at 901 Orange St.

Eric L. McDaniels, chief executive of E.M. Enterprises and manager of the newly-renovated office tower at Ninth and Orange streets, said the demolition has created more interest in his building.

"It's creating a buzz in the neighborhood," McDaniels said. "It's definitely good to see some construction and investment in this part of town."

Contact Maureen Milford at 324-2881 or [email protected].

...Did we really need another one of these?
What's this, #4 this year alone?

Last edited by Joe84323; April 20th, 2005 at 06:47 AM.
Old April 20th, 2005, 03:29 PM   #66
Builder5000

I think we do, the large public parking garage beside the county courthouse is always full! I was a little shocked. Plus it makes a good lookout point (lol) Lets all gather on the parking garage top deck. One thing I can say is this city actually has decent looking parking facilities, impressive even.
Old April 20th, 2005, 06:28 PM   #67
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 5253

anyone have a map of the wilmington neighborhoods, or at least a list of them? i am confused as to where a couple of them are. in fact, i was unaware of a couple of them.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2005, 03:28 PM   #68
Builder5000

A Second Juniper Bank HQ to open in 2006 on the riverfront

The new space will be a new six-story 280,000 square-foot office building and adjacent parking garage on West Street, directly across from Juniper's current headquarters along Wilmington's Christina Riverfront. It has been designed by Joseph Carbonell of Moeckel Carbonell and is expected to be ready late 2006. This will allow Juniper to consolidate its Delaware operations in order to service the company’s growing number of partners, such as AirTran Airways, Best Western, Caesars Entertainment, Frontier Airlines, Gulf Petroleum, Midwest Airlines and Sinclair Oil to name a few.

Last edited by Builder5000; April 22nd, 2005 at 03:55 PM.
Old April 25th, 2005, 10:58 AM   #69
willrusso

Quote:
.....Our metro is around 640,000 for 2005......
LOL!!!!

..and thats all i have to say
Old April 25th, 2005, 01:43 PM   #70
jaysonjaz

This is a shame.. everything SBER has done in Baltimore is golden.. I think the city should have allowed him to build retail and offices. Now the city loses a big developer and gains a garage.. :-P

Ships Tavern developer drops out
City looks for replacements to help create atmosphere that draws an after-5 crowd
By MAUREEN MILFORD / The News Journal
04/24/2005

In a setback for Wilmington's Ships Tavern District, the Baltimore developer that pioneered the public-private effort to redevelop the lower end of North Market Street has decided against further development.

Struever Bros. Eccles & Rouse Inc., which spent $28 million to renovate 22 historic buildings on the west side of the 200 block of N. Market St. as apartments and shops, had planned to invest a total of $150 million in a variety of projects, including the redevelopment of buildings in the 100 and 300 blocks of N. Market St., said Bill Struever, president of Struever Bros.

A Philadelphia developer has picked up a portion of the project in the 300 block of N. Market St., but Wilmington Renaissance Corp. is again seeking developers for the rest of the area.

Richard V. Pryor, director of the city's Office of Economic Development and a director of Christina Gateway Corp., said that he was "very disappointed" that Struever Bros. pulled out, but that the city had to move on.

"We're past the setback. Now, other people are going to have to take smaller chunks," Pryor said.

Since the late 1990s, the city and Wilmington Renaissance, the nonprofit economic development group charged with redeveloping the Ships Tavern District, have been working to redevelop the area bounded by Martin Luther King Boulevard and Fourth Street, and Shipley and King streets as a mix of retail and residential space. The area is named for the historic Sign of the Ship Tavern, which was once in business at 230 N. Market St.

The goal has been to create an after-5 o'clock city. In recent years, there's been a movement to target shopkeepers, restaurants and apartment dwellers as the saviors for failed Main Streets. In late 1999, Wilmington Renaissance reached an informal agreement with Struever Bros. to redevelop a large portion of the Ships Tavern District on the model of Philadelphia's Manayunk neighborhood on the Schuylkill River. Manayunk is a true revival story that now attracts people from all over the country to its restaurants, clubs and shops.

Philadelphia developer Preservation Initiatives Inc. recently signed a contract with the city to pick up a portion of the redevelopment Struever abandoned. Preservation Initiatives plans to redevelop four historic buildings in the 300 block of N. Market St. and one building on Third Street. Settlement is scheduled for late May.

William C. Wyer, managing director of Wilmington Renaissance, said Preservation Initiatives is proposing to follow the original Manayunk model and develop retail on the ground floors and some office and apartments on the upper floors.

In the past year, Preservation Initiatives has bought several buildings in Wilmington, including a former law office at 716 Tatnall St. and a group of commercial buildings in the 300 block of W. Ninth St., according to Kevin C. McGonegal, vice president of Bellevue Realty Co., a commercial real estate firm in Wilmington.

Don Meginley, president of Preservation Initiatives, said his company converted a former six-story jewelry factory at 12th and Locust streets in Center City Philadelphia into condominiums with ground-floor retail.

"I don't know if Wilmington is ready for condominiums, but it's ready for the downtown to take off. Two years ago, I didn't think it was ready," Meginley said.

Pryor said the Preservation Initiatives deal hinges on financing and tax credit programs.

Once Struever Bros. said it was no longer interested, Wilmington Renaissance decided to look for other developers for the district, Wyer said. It has put nine properties in the district on the market in addition to what it is selling to Preservation Initiatives.

Properties for sale include commercial buildings at 314 and 316 N. Market St. and a lot at 4 E. Fourth St. A lot at 311 N. Market St. also is available. In addition, five parcels in the 100 block of N. Market St and the 100 block of N. Shipley St. are for sale.

"We think we've sparked enough initiatives, it's time to bring more developers in," Wyer said.

Struever said the decision to pull out was made after his company failed to win a bid to develop a 1.75-acre building site at the northeast corner of Second and King streets as offices, retail and apartment condominiums. The site is next to the Ships Tavern District in an area known as the Christina Gateway. The Gateway, targeted for redevelopment by the city and state in 1986, involved approximately 11 acres near the Amtrak station and the Christina River.

Struever said his company needed a large project to build the kind of critical mass that creates a neighborhood. The first phase that Struever Bros. developed in the 200 block of N. Market St. - called Ships Tavern Mews - was simply not big enough. Struever, as Market Street Mews LLC, bought the buildings assembled by Wilmington Renaissance in the 1990s. It will continue to own the Mews complex.

As part its plan for the Christina Gateway, Struever Bros. had said it would invest in a parking garage at Second and Market streets, something the district needs to be successful, he said. Wilmington Renaissance broke ground on the 455-car parking garage in 1999 but because of financing trouble the garage was never built, Pryor said.

Wilmington Renaissance now has a contract to sell the garage site to the Christina Gateway Corp., a city and state entity that was created to carry out the ambitious Gateway project. Plans are for Christiana Gateway to lease the site to a developer who will build a garage.

Struever was careful not to characterize his company's decision not to move forward in the Ships Tavern District as a case of sour grapes because it failed to land the Gateway site. He said he would be "glad to take another look" at Wilmington once the garage gets built.

The Gateway parcel was awarded to Brandywine Realty Trust of Plymouth Meeting, Pa., by the gateway corporation. Brandywine Realty, which bought the parcel for $5.1 million in February, plans to build a glass office tower. Gerard H. Sweeney, chief executive of Brandywine Realty, a real estate investment trust, said his company would like to break ground next year. It would like the building to be about 50 percent pre-leased, he said.

"My only comment is if five years from now it is still a surface parking lot that would be sad," Struever said. "It's too valuable a site, too important to the character and spirit of downtown," he said. "If we had gotten it we'd be under construction now."
Old April 26th, 2005, 03:02 AM   #71
Joe84323

Actually, Jason, they lost to the Cira Center lookalike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willrusso
LOL!!!!

..and thats all i have to say
Well, if somebody started YOUR city, and 3 years later settled PHILADELPHIA 25 MILES AWAY, yours wouldn't be that big either, now would it?

With all that population, what is over there, anyway?

Within 30 mins, you have the:
Harbor
Clubs
Horrible Traffic

Within 90 mins, you have:
White House
Pentagon
Clubs
History

Within 30 mins, I have:
Tranquility
900-foot skyscrapers
Clubs
Light Traffic
History
Live Downtown Nightlife

Within 90 mins, I have:
Beaches (ours)
Skiing
Megacity (NYC)
Clubs
Tranquility
History
Broadway
Like 8 more cities...including....
Everything you have.

Last edited by Joe84323; April 26th, 2005 at 03:35 AM.
Old April 26th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #72
Builder5000

I'm glad, Wilmington has a has enough time distinguishing itself as a city, a mere knockoff of the cira in philly would only set the city back that much further
Old April 26th, 2005, 06:02 PM   #73
jaysonjaz

Quote:
Actually, Jason, they lost to the Cira Center lookalike.
What is the Cira Center lookalike? Do you think that is a good thing for the city or a bad thing?
Old April 26th, 2005, 07:23 PM   #74
Builder5000

knockoff

hey Jayson, I was talking about the tower posted on page 1 of our thread As I stated previously, I felt it was a bad idea after the cira in Philly got the okay first and is under construction...They just look too much alike
Old April 26th, 2005, 09:03 PM   #75
Molo

Likes (Received): 1

Joe

Joe84323, you've got to be kidding me. I lived in NJ until my teens. That's 40 minutes from everything you mention about Wilmington. I moved to Philly at 19 and it has no 900 foot towers. Just because you're close to everything doesn't make you a player. DC has no buildings over 200 feet and is much more of a boomtown than Philly and Wilmington combined. I love all the northeast cities, including Philly, DC, Baltimore, Boston and NY. Just don't try to lump Wilmington in there. When you do that, you sound like a Philly knockoff from Wilmington.
Molo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 05:19 AM   #76
Joe84323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molo
Joe84323, you've got to be kidding me. I lived in NJ until my teens. That's 40 minutes from everything you mention about Wilmington. I moved to Philly at 19 and it has no 900 foot towers. Just because you're close to everything doesn't make you a player. DC has no buildings over 200 feet and is much more of a boomtown than Philly and Wilmington combined. I love all the northeast cities, including Philly, DC, Baltimore, Boston and NY. Just don't try to lump Wilmington in there. When you do that, you sound like a Philly knockoff from Wilmington.
Molo

That's nice you moved when you were 19, but I've been here my WHOLE life.

So you looked out the window on 495, huh.
Since you're such an authority on the situation, I'll brief you on a few things:

1. Philly does have a 900 foot tower.
2. D.C. has SEVERAL buildings over 200 feet.
3. Closeness/Proximity to amenities means EVERYTHING. Do YOU live in Wyoming? Why wouldn't you?
I hate to "lump" it in there, but it is. Lumped in between all of them. As much as you'd like to think the smaller cities don't exist, they do. This one is developing at a rapid pace, and the metro has a blazin economy, with a rising population. If you don't like that go post it outside this thread. I'll participate in your discussion.
4. "Player": me? the city? finance? womanizing? What are you talking about?

I lived in Philly for two periods throughout my life. I've lived in NYC for a period. Get your facts right, educate yourself a bit, and we'll have a legitimate discussion/argument. I KNOW what I talk about. Do you?

Last edited by Joe84323; April 27th, 2005 at 05:59 AM.
Old April 27th, 2005, 05:42 AM   #77
Joe84323

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonjaz
What is the Cira Center lookalike? Do you think that is a good thing for the city or a bad thing?
Good thing. Just as long as they revise the model, as some would say, we're knockoffs

In all seriousness.. I loved it until Cira got built. I'm with Builder5000 on that one... We need something drastically different now.
Old April 27th, 2005, 04:02 PM   #78
Molo

Joe84323, you must be from Wilmington anytime you say Philly has little traffic. And you did tell Jayson that Philly has "900 foot skyscrapers" (plural.) And just so you know, by player, I meant the city on a national scale. And I don't know what middle school civics book you've bee reading from. DC has strict height limits as not to upstage The Cap. Look it up in a real book.

And you put so much importance on living close to everything. You have to know that unless you have everything, living close does you no good.

And so you know, I like Wilmington. I just don't like those who pretend they're from a large metro, while defending the smaller, real home from seemingly afar.

I know.
Old April 28th, 2005, 10:29 AM   #79
Joe84323

Molo, my friend.

95 through Philly is quite lite. I can't explain why, I just speak the truth. I can get there within 25 mins. I told you that Philly has 900 foot towers. I was looking toward the future. Within a year, it most certainly will. Are you trying to redeem yourself?

By living here, I have everything. You can live a half an hour to a great city, or spend 45 minutes commuting to a so-so one from the 'burbs. You surely jest.

I really wish you put that civics book away, because, despite what you may think, what I said was true: D.C. has several buildings over 200 feet.

Unless I'm from a larger metro (5,000,000+) which I am, you can't say anything. I can't change the fact Wilmington is intertwined with Philly. My city is mostly black. It has a horribly high crime rate. It has direct rail between here and Philly. We're not Alexandria. Come visit, you will see. Perhaps leave the downtown.

Even without Philly, Wilmington is rated the most "Financially-Fit Large Metro Area."

Please shut your mouth, or come visit. Wilmington is much more than the city you see from 495. You come into the Wilmington Development Forum and bash this city.
I don't see any Washington forum whatsoever, no matter skyscraper nor monument. Before you come back to further belittle this town, I recommend you attempt to start your OWN local thread For such a "boomtown" I concur D.C. is, I don't see any representation to the fraction of which we give Wilmington.

There is unfortunately NO credibility to anything you say. I'm sorry.

Oh, and BTW: I'm protecting a small town from a far away Metro....

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?.......... Stop while you're ahead.

Last edited by Joe84323; April 28th, 2005 at 10:45 AM.
Old April 28th, 2005, 03:41 PM   #80
Molo

You must be the loneliest guy in Wilming...oh excuse me. I mean Phillymington.
You're not relevant! But I do like the skyline.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
development news, riverfront, wilmington