#UNDER C: NEW ABU DHABI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > دار زايـــد United Arab Emirates > Infrastructure and Transport > Infrastructure and Transport

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 26th, 2005, 06:09 PM   #41
Bahraini Spirit

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by city of the future
this is the one in Doha not AD! look in the Qatar section
Just about to say that. Didn't you notice the Qatar Airways plane.
Bahraini Spirit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 26th, 2005, 06:25 PM   #42
Dubai-Lover
Construction Paradise

Likes (Received): 5

i already had doubts when i saw the airplane and that it is on reclaimed land
but we get so little info
Old October 26th, 2005, 07:29 PM   #43
fahed
Mr Anti

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by city of the future
this is the one in Doha not AD! look in the Qatar section
Sorry, my bad!

I edited the post.
Advertisement

Old October 26th, 2005, 09:03 PM   #44
Shad
Sup ?

Likes (Received): 6

any render or construstion pic on this one???
Shad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 08:06 AM   #45
qwazy

Likes (Received): 0

dubai airport versus abu dhabi

i really like the design of the current AD airport, the dubai one is plain gay and an eye sore. palm trees planted in the middle of the airport and ugly stalls in the middle of duty free. and the overall design as well, it looks like a very big and long hallway/corridor.

i hope the new dubai airport has a better interior design. and same goes for the one in AD!

but in terms of air traffic, in the next 10-15 years, Dubai will definetely leave AD way behind. Dubai will probably have 180 million annual capacity (current expanded airport + new airport) before AD reaches its 50 million.

Anyone know when the AD airport second phase will be completed?
qwazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 10:45 PM   #46
Halawala
Fairouzy

Likes (Received): 268

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwazy View Post
i really like the design of the current AD airport, the dubai one is plain gay and an eye sore. palm trees planted in the middle of the airport and ugly stalls in the middle of duty free. and the overall design as well, it looks like a very big and long hallway/corridor.

i hope the new dubai airport has a better interior design. and same goes for the one in AD!

but in terms of air traffic, in the next 10-15 years, Dubai will definetely leave AD way behind. Dubai will probably have 180 million annual capacity (current expanded airport + new airport) before AD reaches its 50 million.

Anyone know when the AD airport second phase will be completed?

Dubai airport is an eyesore??? Excuse me, but you apparently haven't seen it carefully. It makes Abu Dhabi airport look like a shack.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 05:47 PM   #47
qwazy

arabia needs good architecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halawala View Post
Dubai airport is an eyesore??? Excuse me, but you apparently haven't seen it carefully. It makes Abu Dhabi airport look like a shack.

I have seen it many times. AD airport is getting old but it's original design is more creative than Dubai's. What's so special about dubai's airport?

It's not creative, artistic, arab (apart from the palm trees), its just like any other airport in the world. I remember reading about this lebanese architect's interview in Arabian business. She talked about how there was no real creativity in the field of architecture in the arab world, and, how she couldnt tell the difference between a modern skyscraper in dubai or new york.

I strongly need better architecture, architecture that isn't just modern but is different, and reflects arab design and heritage, otherwise like this designer said, there is nothing that makes a building in dubai more special or different than a building in new york or los angeles.

dubai airport, is clean, and well managed, but in that sense, its crap
qwazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 07:59 PM   #48
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 1011

1 1/2 years since last post. I know that the new midfield terminal should open later this year. this is what happens when you leave very important topics alone for more than 10 months to a year.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #49
killerk

Likes (Received): 1815

They just opened a new terminal that will cater to Etihad airways and its fast growing global network!!! From what I hear the new Midfield terminal is under construction and is progressing fast.....
killerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 12:37 AM   #50
Shad
Sup ?

any new news for the new etihad terminal? any new pics?
Shad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 03:40 PM   #51
thefreestyler

Likes (Received): 16

Two firms shortlisted for passenger terminal at Abu Dhabi airport

Abu Dhabi Airports Company (Adac) has shortlisted two companies for the build operate transfer contract for the midfield terminal on the $6.8bn redevelopment of Abu Dhabi International Airport.

The two companies are Germany's Hochtief and Turkey's TAV. TAV is expected to build the terminal itself if it wins the contract, but Hochtief is likely to bring in sub-contractors.

Hochtief is a major shareholder in Australia's Leighton Holding, which has a 45 per cent stake in the local Al-Habtoor Engineering Enterprises.

Al-Habtoor is already building a terminal for Etihad Airways at Abu Dhabi airport in a joint venture with South Africa's Murray & Roberts Contractors (Middle East), while in Dubai it has completed the second concourse at Terminal 3 in a joint venture with Murray & Roberts and Takenaka.

France's Aeroports de Paris and Singapore's Changi had also bee pursuing the contract for the third passenger terminal at Abu Dhabi.

Adac's masterplan for Abu Dhabi International Airport calls for the construction of a 220,000-square-metre terminal, located between the existing runway and one being built 2 kilometres to the north. The terminal will increase the airport's passenger handling capacity by 20 million people a year.

The new terminal's design allows for further expansion to 50 million passengers and more than 2 million tonnes of cargo a year
thefreestyler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 06:25 AM   #52
jerryareeckal

Who is the MEP contractor?
jerryareeckal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 03:02 PM   #53
huvet

http://archrecord.construction.com/n...AbuAirport.asp

These are the latest published images from KPF and they're 6 months old. Why so little info on this project, even the Scadia site www.scadia.com only has old images.

Are the rumours true that it is subject to re-design?
huvet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 05:03 PM   #54
killerk

Likes (Received): 1815

Quote:
Originally Posted by huvet View Post
http://archrecord.construction.com/n...AbuAirport.asp

These are the latest published images from KPF and they're 6 months old. Why so little info on this project, even the Scadia site www.scadia.com only has old images.

Are the rumours true that it is subject to re-design?
No, from what I know that is how it will look finally....youtube has a video put up by ADAC showing this design.....
killerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 11:41 PM   #55
huvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerk View Post
No, from what I know that is how it will look finally....youtube has a video put up by ADAC showing this design.....
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WvFeePIDfZg

It it's this one then this is not the current design, I think it's the competition entry that's shown here.

If you have another link please post it.

It seems bizarre that ADAC are so cagey about putting out images. NDIA and Dubai are all over the net. The new Saudi terminals are easy to find as well.

If ADAC are going to open the midfield terminal in 2012 they should have finished designing it any time soon.
huvet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #56
Arik

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreestyler View Post
Two firms shortlisted for passenger terminal at Abu Dhabi airport

Abu Dhabi Airports Company (Adac) has shortlisted two companies for the build operate transfer contract for the midfield terminal on the $6.8bn redevelopment of Abu Dhabi International Airport.

The two companies are Germany's Hochtief and Turkey's TAV. TAV is expected to build the terminal itself if it wins the contract, but Hochtief is likely to bring in sub-contractors.

Hochtief is a major shareholder in Australia's Leighton Holding, which has a 45 per cent stake in the local Al-Habtoor Engineering Enterprises.

Al-Habtoor is already building a terminal for Etihad Airways at Abu Dhabi airport in a joint venture with South Africa's Murray & Roberts Contractors (Middle East), while in Dubai it has completed the second concourse at Terminal 3 in a joint venture with Murray & Roberts and Takenaka.

France's Aeroports de Paris and Singapore's Changi had also bee pursuing the contract for the third passenger terminal at Abu Dhabi.

Adac's masterplan for Abu Dhabi International Airport calls for the construction of a 220,000-square-metre terminal, located between the existing runway and one being built 2 kilometres to the north. The terminal will increase the airport's passenger handling capacity by 20 million people a year.

The new terminal's design allows for further expansion to 50 million passengers and more than 2 million tonnes of cargo a year
Ironically enough, it looks exactly like Tel Aviv's airport, but not quite as well-designed (with regard to layout).
Arik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #57
zerozol
Honi soit qui mal y pense

Hi Arik!

the fact is that Abu Dhabi's Terminal 1 (on the picture in the article you cited) was designed around 1983, by Paul Andreu (Aéroports de Paris), while Ben Gurion International Airport's Terminal 3 (the similar to AUH's T1) was finished in 2004, although scheduled completion date was set for 2000; but let's say, it was designed in late 1990s...

that's why Abu Dhabi T1 is out of date, overcrowded. but from inside, the ceiling of the "donut" in the middle of the satellite is really beautiful!

as for the layout, i don't know how the original master plan sounded, but since years it is laid down that between the recently finished 2nd, parallel runway and the older one, a totally new and super-state-of-the-art terminal will be built (that's "Midfield Terminal" in the cited article).

so the layout in 2-3 years will be totally changed, and a quite decent, modern airport would be seen.

i don't see any reason to compare two airport (or terminal) layouts wich are 20 years far from each other in time... plus add, that AUH has now 2 parallel runways, as long as TLV has 2 (and as far as i know will have the 3rd reconstructed) intersecting (or at least intersecting flight path) rwys... not so good layout at all. it's true that TLV's T3 is quite decent, but the comparison doesn't work, i believe.

bye

z

Last edited by zerozol; March 15th, 2009 at 05:17 PM.
zerozol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 12:51 AM   #58
EmiratesAirline380

Likes (Received): 631

Abu Dhabi Airport expansion plans to go ahead despite recession
By Dina El Shammaa, Staff Reporter
Published: April 07, 2009, 13:01

Abu Dhabi: Etihad Airways is currently serving 31 destinations to and from Terminal 3 at Abu Dhabi International Airport with an average of 70 flights per day, Gulf News has learnt.

The Dh1-billion Terminal 3 will enable the airport to serve up to 12 million passengers a year, an increase of more than 5 million.

Terminal 3 is part of Abu Dhabi Airport Company's (ADAC) Dh25 billion development plan intended to expand airport capacity to meet the projected increase in business and leisure traffic, the growth of Etihad and the demand from other airlines wishing to fly into Abu Dhabi.

Other projects due for completion by 2012 include the second runway, new air traffic control tower and Midfield Terminal Complex.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Etihad currently serves Almaty, Bahrain, Bangkok, Beijing, Brisbane, Brussels, Dammam, Doha, Dublin, Frankfurt, Geneva, Jakarta, Jeddah, Johannesburg, Kuala Lumpur, Kuwait, London Heathrow, Manchester, Manila, Melbourne, Milan, Minsk, Moscow, Mumbai, Munich, Muscat, New Delhi, Paris, Riyadh, Singapore, Sydney and Toronto from Terminal 3.

Shaikha Al Maskari, Vice-President of Corporate Affairs at ADAC, told Gulf News that most of ADAC's initiatives for the airport are long-term and in line with the Abu Dhabi government's 2030 strategy that keeps them insulated from the global financial crisis.

"Our initiatives are long- term and based on a 2030 vision; we're not thinking of tomorrow, we're thinking of the next 20 years ahead and will introduce more infrastructure and projects along the way.

"Abu Dhabi Airport has witnessed steady growth in the number of passengers with an increase of 30 per cent compared to last year

"The increase may not be as much as we expected, but it definitely keeps us in line with the vision of Abu Dhabi in general, which is not really affected by the crisis that much. Our economy remains stable and I believe the crisis is temporary, things will eventually pick up where they need to," Al Maskari said.

Khalifa Mohammad Al Mazrouei, chairman of ADAC, described the opening of Terminal 3 as a boost to Abu Dhabi's investment, tourism and commerce.

"We consider Abu Dhabi's international airport as a gateway to the region and the world, and the first point of contact with tourists, businessmen and transit passengers from all over the world," adding that the Midfield Terminal Complex will be able to handle more than 20 million passengers a year.

Terminal 3 opened in the fourth quarter of last year, and flights have been using it since October with passengers on selected flights checking in normally in Terminals 1 and 1A and then transported by bus to the departure gate at Terminal 3 adjacent to Terminal 1.

Arrivals have been using the new terminal since December. In January ADAC and Etihad Airways also began trials for arriving and connecting passengers using different aircraft types.

The terminal has ten departure gates, of which two are A380-compatible and two are bus gates, with 20 dedicated premium check-in facilities.

It covers a built up area of 88,000 square metres. Construction of a new multi-storey car park is expected to be completed next month.

The new duty free has 19 boutiques including the first Hermes branch in an airport in the Middle East, along with Cartier, Fendi, Salvatore Ferragamo, Rolex, Jimmy Choo, Loewe and Chloe.

Boots Pharmacy, Relay, Sharaf Consumer Technology and Pure Gold, and seven catering outlets - Bill Bentley's, Cinnabon, Dominos, Hippopotamus, Burger King, Starbucks and Segafredo - are also featured.

There are also two spa centres in the First and Business class areas.
EmiratesAirline380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 02:48 PM   #59
EmiratesAirline380

This is the masterplan for Abu Dhabi airport, i don't know if its been posted before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvFeePIDfZg

255 Aircraft - 150+ Destinations - 252 aircraft orders

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

124 Aircraft - 112 Destinations - 198 aircraft orders
EmiratesAirline380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 02:59 PM   #60
EmiratesAirline380

And this is also a video of Terminal 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOmTdYQwy14

255 Aircraft - 150+ Destinations - 252 aircraft orders

ETIHAD AIRWAYS