Black Country Museum | Dudley | Extension | Appr. - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 4th, 2016, 08:52 PM   #1
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 5770

Black Country Museum | Dudley | Extension | Appr.

A 1940s-1960s town will be created at the Black Country Museum.

Several key buildings are going to be relocated or reconstructed, including one that's of great joy to me:

The Elephant and Castle!, Wolverhampton, demolished unceremoniously by Peel Holdings

Express and Star

Harris & Pearce, Brierley Hill

Express and Star

Woodside Library, Dudley

Express and Star

Gas Showroom, West Bromwich

Express and Star

Parish's Restaurant, West Bromwich

William Griffin & Son, Cradley

Harris & Pearson Brickworks, Quarry Bank

There will be a new learning centre, possibly a bowling green, and the tram system will be extended to twice its size.

Article: http://www.expressandstar.com/entert...living-museum/

As Chief executive Andrew Lovett said:

“The buildings we have identified would be clustered and we have had great fun designing the streetscape. When was the last time someone got to design a town in the Black Country?"

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON ~ BIRMINGHAM 2022
DBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2016, 02:16 PM   #2
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 3260

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBadger View Post
A 1940s-1960s town will be created at the Black Country Museum.
I've always said they should reconstruct a Black Country tower block at the Black Country Museum - and here's the opportunity! Various flats could be modelled on how they'd have looked in the 50s or 60s and the top floor would have a 1960s-style restaurant with panoramic views over the museum and beyond. The rest of the floors could be used for storage, classrooms/lecture rooms etc. - or even an on-site retro concrete tower block hotel!
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2016, 02:21 PM   #3
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

Likes (Received): 2108

Are any of those buildings from that era?

Also have there ever been any buildings relocated from Birmingham?
BlackCountryAl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2016, 02:25 PM   #4
DBadger
culled

Rolfe Street Baths was the closest I think.

Old December 5th, 2016, 02:31 PM   #5
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBadger View Post
Rolfe Street Baths was the closest I think.
I can think of a few in the city centre that would be better if they weren't in the way. Then again, it would be better for them to relocate them to the Jewellery Quarter.

I'd have thought post war architecture was what they would be looking at for this expansion.
Old December 5th, 2016, 02:34 PM   #6
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfield View Post
I've always said they should reconstruct a Black Country tower block at the Black Country Museum - and here's the opportunity! Various flats could be modelled on how they'd have looked in the 50s or 60s and the top floor would have a 1960s-style restaurant with panoramic views over the museum and beyond. The rest of the floors could be used for storage, classrooms/lecture rooms etc. - or even an on-site retro concrete tower block hotel!
This isn't serious is it?
Old December 5th, 2016, 02:37 PM   #7
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCountryAl View Post
This isn't serious is it?
Erm, yeah, sort of. Tower blocks were part of Black Country life in the 1960s, why not make one an attraction to see how people lived in them? I doubt it would happen though due to the scale.
Old December 5th, 2016, 02:56 PM   #8
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

Quote:
Erm, yeah, sort of. Tower blocks were part of Black Country life in the 1960s, why not make one an attraction to see how people lived in them? I doubt it would happen though due to the scale.
Well I wouldn't encourage any being built full stop, but next to the caste and so many other beautiful old buildings. No thanks.
Old December 5th, 2016, 03:09 PM   #9
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

The castle sits way above the Black Country Museum so it would hardly block the view.

But if they're going to have an authentic 1940s-60s Black Country village they can't rely on the attractive Victorian buildings they normally have. I know a tower block is very unlikely but as it's a (living) museum it should always reflect on all aspects of Black Country life and housing etc. - both good AND bad.
Old December 5th, 2016, 03:25 PM   #10
leonigmig

Likes (Received): 586

Quote:
have there ever been any buildings relocated from Birmingham?
That would be a bit of a waste of time given how culturally distinctive life in the Black Country is. A building from Birmingham would stand out like a sore thumb given the enormous and striking cultural chasm between the Black Country and Birmingham.
leonigmig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2016, 05:22 PM   #11
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

I don't think there is much difference. Most people wouldn't be able to tell the buildings are from different areas if they didn't actually know. Saying that, it's one area anyway. They both blend into one another.

The building on the corner of Ludgate hill and Lionel street could be in Dudley, Walsall or Wolverhampton. Ditto the buildings on new meeting street. They'd be better off moved to museum, or deeper into the JQ or Digbeth.
Old December 5th, 2016, 05:43 PM   #12
leonigmig

Quote:
I don't think there is much difference. Most people wouldn't be able to tell the buildings are from different areas if they didn't actually know. Saying that, it's one area anyway. They both blend into one another.

The building on the corner of Ludgate hill and Lionel street could be in Dudley, Walsall or Wolverhampton. Ditto the buildings on new meeting street. They'd be better off moved to museum, or deeper into the JQ or Digbeth.
Sorry, I was just gently ribbing the Butterfield viewpoint on Black Country cultural distinctiveness.
Old December 5th, 2016, 05:48 PM   #13
DBadger
culled

I wouldn't build a whole towerblock (their main problem was maintenance, so we can't expect the museum to be able to fund that if councils couldn't). But I would build a show flat to show what life was like in them. MOSI has that showing what tech was in a 50s house.

Like it or not tower blocks are a HUGE part of 40s to 60s Black Country life and that needs to be portrayed in a living museum.

They could also take one of the prefabs that were built for war veterans as they're still standing all around Wolverhampton.

It would have been great if they could gave saved the King Arthur though...

Butterfield liked this post
Old December 5th, 2016, 05:54 PM   #14
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonigmig View Post
Sorry, I was just gently ribbing the Butterfield viewpoint on Black Country cultural distinctiveness.
Funnily enough I hadn't said anything about that sort of thing in this thread, but now you mention it...

It's a Black Country museum, I'd expect a similar "living" museum in Birmingham to have mostly uniquely Birmingham buildings. That said, I don't think the Black Country Museum has strict boundaries as such when it comes to acquiring buildings but I doubt they were interested in purchasing the recently demolished Central Library.
Old December 5th, 2016, 06:45 PM   #15
leonigmig

Quote:
Funnily enough I hadn't said anything about that sort of thing in this thread, but now you mention it...

It's a Black Country museum, I'd expect a similar "living" museum in Birmingham to have mostly uniquely Birmingham buildings. That said, I don't think the Black Country Museum has strict boundaries as such when it comes to acquiring buildings but I doubt they were interested in purchasing the recently demolished Central Library.
I always thought it should be called 'The Culturally Distinctive Black Country Museum'

OR

'The museum of distinctive Black Country culture'
Old December 5th, 2016, 06:49 PM   #16
leonigmig

Also - as part of this new extension there should be an installation about Brummie Imperialism, really human stories of domination and cultural distinctness.
Old December 5th, 2016, 08:02 PM   #17
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

I'm not sure what's brought on your slightly bizarre recent posts but it's quite amusing!

By the way Badger, the title of this thread shouldn't say "Tipton", the Black Country Museum is in Tipton Road but is in Dudley, albeit right by the Sandwell border.
Old December 5th, 2016, 09:44 PM   #18
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 1932

Jeez does it matter and it does have a Birmingham phone code
Old December 5th, 2016, 10:11 PM   #19
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Are we not even allowed to point out innocent mistakes anymore? Would you be happy for all the Birmingham skyscraper threads to have the wrong heights and numbers of floors? If the Black Country Museum is in Tipton then Longbridge is in Bromsgrove! So does it matter? Not really, just as the whole country thinks Manchester is the second biggest city in the UK - but who cares? Only pedantic people would try and correct them.

And you know telephone codes mean nothing when it comes to these things. The 0121 number spans a number of boroughs, just as Wolverhampton's 01902 does and Dudley's 01384. For some reason the Black Country Museum uses 0121, obviously due to its closeness to Tipton, but it's certainly in Dudley Borough and is always credited as Dudley.

BhamJim liked this post
Old December 5th, 2016, 10:53 PM   #20
neon18

Likes (Received): 1156

Midlands Today news clip from May 2016 about the expansion:

Quote:
Black Country to Become An International Tourist Destination https://youtu.be/HWHWI5I7O0k

Published on 25 May 2016
A £20m plan to expand a major West Midlands tourist attraction has been revealed. Bosses at the Black Country Living Museum in Dudley want to increase its size by a third.

Proposals include creating a new 1940s'-style town complete with a pub and library. They also include moving the Tipton Road entrance to Castle Hill and linking the site with attractions such as Dudley Zoological Gardens. Museum chief executive Andrew Lovett said: "There's great opportunity to fulfil potential here.
"There's great opportunity to increase attendance and tell the story... the Black Country had a global impact, so why shouldn't the museum have a global impact?"

Bosses said 60 jobs would be created as a result of the expansion, while hundreds more short-term jobs would be created during construction.

Proposals include creating a new 1940s'-style town complete with a pub and library. Mr Lovett said the project would allow the museum to contribute an extra £3m to the local economy - taking the total up to £7m.

"There is no doubt we can help change perceptions of the town and the region and I think it needs that," he said.
"By creating a bigger and better museum there's a great opportunity."

The plans are subject to raising £18.9m required to do the work.
Investment is being sought from the West Midlands Combined Authority. The remainder will be achieved through fundraising activities.

24 May 2016
neon18 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement