Molineux Quarter | Wolverhampton - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 25th, 2017, 11:05 PM   #1
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 5770

Molineux Quarter | Wolverhampton

I think we have enough info on this for a thread now. It's a substantial development, anyway.

What we know:

- Mixed use development around the Molineux
- Potential future redevelopment of the Molineux
- New bridge over the Ring Road
- Refurbishment of the infamous Molineux subway
- New pedestrian route to the railway station
- Mixed use development on St Peter's car park city-side

Pictures we have so far:

http://wolverhampton.moderngov.co.uk...pendix%201.pdf

Express and Star

Timescale: 6-10 years

Now I would assume that in that 6-10 years we will see two sides of the Molineux redeveloped, so it will be joined by this:

Birmingham Mail

Express and Star

Daily Mail

Also planned is further University developments behind ASDA.

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON ~ BIRMINGHAM 2022
DBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2017, 05:34 PM   #2
DBadger
culled

Masterplan backed by councilors:

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2...lineux-backed/

Old May 4th, 2017, 02:30 PM   #3
gouldy

Likes (Received): 268

If it happens, and ends up looking anything like that, I'll be impressed. I hope this does go ahead, because it does look amazing.
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2017, 05:28 PM   #4
Bugbyte
Plant in full sun

Likes (Received): 522

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBadger View Post
Steve Bull Goodyear strip 1999?

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
Bugbyte no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2018, 06:46 PM   #5
DBadger
culled

Larger image of the Molineux quarter.

Chapman Taylor

Rumours that the next step of the Molineux redevelopment will be to extend the South bank to approx. 10k at the end of the 18/19 season. (Thanks Boldteddy)

Old February 12th, 2018, 04:01 PM   #6
B78

Likes (Received): 186

Shame it isn't the Steve Bull that they are doing next, would improve the experience of all away fans. Also seems a bit strange that they aren't continuing the new build for the purpose of ease.
B78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2018, 05:59 PM   #7
DBadger
culled

Updated render, not sure from when.

http://www.chapmantaylor.com/uploads...-birds-eye.jpg

Thinking about it, this is logically an extension of Dudley Street (so the High Street).

Last edited by DBadger; April 16th, 2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old April 16th, 2018, 07:40 PM   #8
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2535

I think this is in the greater Birmingham LEP prospectus or something similar.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2018, 03:21 PM   #9
DBadger
culled

Southbank rebuild summer 2019 if all goes to plan.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport...-set-for-2019/

Old May 3rd, 2018, 03:30 PM   #10
BhamBadger

Likes (Received): 1596

The Wolves seem confident they'll get the land.

I hope a deal is done soon, frankly, and they get it. The council will want them to get it too, I imagine.
Old May 3rd, 2018, 04:43 PM   #11
Billsmothers

Likes (Received): 1563

Is that a permanently pedestrianised route leading over the ring road and into the city centre? It looks really impressive - quite Wembley Way-like.

I'm a Villa fan, and even I'm excited by what the momentum Wolves have built up this year could deliver for the city.

BhamJim, Anup24 liked this post
Billsmothers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2018, 09:23 PM   #12
DBadger
culled

Yep.

The topology of the site lends itself to such a bridge. There is an embankment on each side high enough for buses to pass under.

Wolverhampton Daily Photo

Impressively, because Lichfield Street is up for pedestrianisation, we will have a pedestrian route all the way from Molineux to the railway station.

In fact, this joins on to Molineux Alley, so a pedestrian route all the way to Dunstall with a couple of crossings!

Old May 3rd, 2018, 10:05 PM   #13
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2535

Is that building listed because if it is, I doubt you’ll get a bridge in front of that.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2018, 10:09 PM   #14
DBadger
culled

It's listed but the bridge will be just to the left.

Old May 4th, 2018, 10:40 AM   #15
BhamJim

Likes (Received): 814

Even though I'm a Villa fan I take my hat off to the Wolves. I hope they maintain their ambition and growth and when the Villa are finally back in the top flight we can push each other for honours and bring some glory back to the region. The city of Wolverhampton certainly seems to buzz when the team are doing well, its a great old traditional club in the heart of the city and community, good luck to them.

Traditionally it's always been the Villa and Wolves carrying the flag and I hope this reverts to type soon, it's long overdue.

DBadger, Anup24 liked this post
BhamJim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2018, 10:44 AM   #16
DBadger
culled

Really hope it's good news for Villa in a few weeks' time, the Prem will be boring without a derby.

Old May 4th, 2018, 11:08 AM   #17
Billsmothers

Likes (Received): 1563

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamJim View Post
The city of Wolverhampton certainly seems to buzz when the team are doing well, its a great old traditional club in the heart of the city and community, good luck to them.
Yes, even more than in comparable towns and cities, Wolverhampton seems to be very closely identified with its football team, and the ground is unusually well integrated with the centre.

The other point this development highlights for me is that Wolverhampton did a much better job than Birmingham or Coventry in not ruining itself when it came to designing a ring road. That's paying off now with the development of this remarkable pedestrian spine.

I was in Wolverhampton last week during some fleeting sunny weather and thought the centre was looking attractive and well cared for, despite much of it being dug up for the Metro extension. Fingers crossed that things are on the up - though you would never think so reading the readers' comments in the Express & Star.
Billsmothers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2018, 01:53 PM   #18
BhamBadger

Wolverhampton Ring Road is how Ring Roads sort of should be.

It contains a large grassy central spine lined with trees. The road is sunk and pedestrians are elevated above it.
It basically follows the example of the Wiener Ringstrasse, which Birmingham and Coventry both attempted and got disastrously wrong.
Old May 4th, 2018, 07:42 PM   #19
Bear Would Ian
BWI

Likes (Received): 565

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamBadger View Post
Wolverhampton Ring Road is how Ring Roads sort of should be.

It contains a large grassy central spine lined with trees. The road is sunk and pedestrians are elevated above it.
It basically follows the example of the Wiener Ringstrasse, which Birmingham and Coventry both attempted and got disastrously wrong.
Some really excellent developments happening in Wolves at the moment Bhambadger! Very exciting. How much of a part do you think becoming a city played in this? Did it make people sit up and take notice? Do you think it resulted in more investment or would it have happened anyway?

Regarding the ring road do you wish it had been larger now that Wolves seems to be spreading across it? I'm going to have to pop up and have a look around, it's been many a year since I've been

I do remember seeing some Georgian buildings of two or three storeys. I can't remember what street it was on and they seemed to be a bit neglected, do you know if any are still there?

Last edited by Bear Would Ian; May 4th, 2018 at 07:50 PM.
Bear Would Ian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2018, 08:08 PM   #20
BhamBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Would Ian View Post
Some really excellent developments happening in Wolves at the moment Bhambadger! Very exciting. How much of a part do you think becoming a city played in this? Did it make people sit up and take notice? Do you think it resulted in more investment or would it have happened anyway?

Regarding the ring road do you wish it had been larger now that Wolves seems to be spreading across it? I'm going to have to pop up and have a look around, it's been many a year since I've been

I do remember seeing some Georgian buildings of two or three storeys. I can't remember what street it was on and they seemed to be a bit neglected, do you know if any are still there?

On the Ringroad front, I think it's probably about the right size for the city. It's not yet saturated and plenty of development could take place within it very easily. I've just been looking at maps from 1938 to compare it with, and it doesn't look like we destroyed as many buildings as Birmingham in its construction.
Wolves being at molineux preceeded the ring road, so I don't think that factors in really. They were always intended to be outside of it, and they're integrated pretty well into their local community. It's really in the middle of quite a residential suburban/middling density community.

Wolves building a bridge will be great in my opinion. I think the Ringroad is an interesting piece of period planning/infrastructure, and the addition of the bridge will retain that whule simultaneously making the northern side of the city more permeable. Other Badger pointed out that this effectively just triples the length of our existing main pedestrian route. In addition, it gets rid of a reasonably grim subway too.

On the Georgian buildings, perhaps you mean Waterloo road. If so, they've all become occupied with (local) law and accountancy firms or temp agencies, so have naturally come along a bit. More generally, Wolverhampton actually has quite a host of well preserved Victorian and Georgian buildings in a shockingly high concentration. They just have awful shopfronts, if you look up, the buildings are quite stunning.

On the development front, I'm not sure. I've long rallied against the idea of saying "greater Birmingham" wouldn't help brand the region better, so it may sound a bit hypocritical when I say I think that becoming "City of Wolverhampton" helped somewhat.

Though I'm not sure, I think the council just got its arse in gear at the same time. Even more recently they've sorted out their branding with the use of the city flag, and a universal gold and purple design theme, custom fonts, proper logo design.

I think it's more been down to a change in the guard within the Labour party. They've been replaced with some more savvy people, quite business friendly, heads screwed on, long term thinkers. Ultimately, I don't think that it is healthy to have a city that is so dominated by one party, but in the short term, they're coming up with decent ideas, and can provide stability to investors. They're not suddenly going to cancel regeneration plans or renege on a deal which they've laid out.

Political stability, serendipity that the dominant group actually seem to not be compacent which is lucky, decent collaboration across the spectrum of politicians, and frankly, a decent offer economically have helped Wolverhampton.

Bear Would Ian liked this post
BhamBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement