Ladywood Regeneration - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 6th, 2019, 02:05 PM   #1
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4335

Ladywood Regeneration

Exciting possibilities lie ahead for the Ladywood Estate.

www.insidermedia.com/insider/midlands/vote-set-on-1000-home-estates-future

Bear Would Ian, Kingsheathen liked this post
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2019, 05:42 PM   #2
RalphGuy

Here is the link to the 'Report to the Council for the Big City Plan - Ladywood'. Unfortunately, after you've clicked on Agenda Document Pack, you have to scroll down to pg 505 before you get to the 90 page report which also includes a map showing the area covered. Well worth a flick through.

https://birmingham.cmis.uk.com/birmi...2/Default.aspx

Last edited by RalphGuy; February 7th, 2019 at 08:46 PM.
Old February 8th, 2019, 11:35 AM   #3
jonfsnow

Likes (Received): 1451

Map here: https://birmingham.cmis.uk.com/Birmi...ctNJFf55vVA%3d

RalphGuy liked this post
jonfsnow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2019, 02:20 PM   #4
Bear Would Ian
BWI

Likes (Received): 565

Great find RalphGuy! Interesting how they've detached Area 1 from the rest of the estate which should indicate they'll be going for greater height and density there than the rest of Ladywood! This should also have a positive knock on effect on any future developments between the Broadway apartments and Sheepcote Street i.e. the Square, Centennial House, Hampton House, Premier Inn Broad Street, and the rear of the old Brasshouse building as the current flats and houses on Ryland and Essington Streets would probably have had an impact on anything remotely tall if they went to planning.

RalphGuy liked this post
Bear Would Ian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2019, 02:28 PM   #5
RalphGuy

Map here:
https://birmingham.cmis.uk.com/Birmi...ctNJFf55vVA%3d

According to the report due to go to the council next week, the exact boundaries of the area to be regenerated is yet to be confirmed.

Based on the boundaries highlighted on the map, the obvious area for talls in my opinion would be Area 1 (1.55ha) which is called Ladywood Broad Street. The area is close to the two Bank towers, Moda and the possible Matchbox tower so I could see quite a cluster forming here in the future.

The much larger Area 2 (Ladywood Central) is very sizeable, about 60 ha (of which approximately half is council owned), and stretches from close to Five Ways Island right the way round to Spring Hill roundabout, including one estate outside the ring road. I can certainly see an opportunity to extend the Five Ways offer further down Ladywood Middleway. City Centre development has also been heading out to Spring Hill for sometime and this will help encourage that. It would be good to see the estate outside the ring road receive the Soho Wharf treatment.

Some of the points that stood out for me from reading the report are : -

i) This will be a housing led regeneration initiative with 35% affordable housing across both Areas 1 and 2 as a whole,

ii) The Joint Venture arrangement is the preferred option,

iii) The opportunity to create higher density development is recognised,

iv) Partners for the redevelopment of the two areas - Ladywood Broad Street and Ladywood Central - will be procured separately,

v) Different developers are expected to develop either the high density housing or the family housing,

vi) Create a new local centre and a neighbourhood with a mix of commercial and other uses,

vii) Any council housing demolition to be replaced with one for one,

viii) Better connectivity across the Middleway including possible boulevarding,

ix) Developers must have an outline strategy for the residential to be appropriate for the City Centre,

x) Possibility of recreating the historic street pattern through the new residential neighbourhood.

Bear Would Ian, jonfsnow liked this post

Last edited by RalphGuy; February 8th, 2019 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Mix up on the total hectarage.
Old February 8th, 2019, 02:45 PM   #6
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2532

One addition. BCC own much of the land in Area 1 also.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2019, 03:29 PM   #7
RalphGuy

Could all this additional proposed redevelopment now mean we see a new train station on the existing line or an additional route for the tram from Five Ways? Presumably the number of people living in this area or visiting this area will increase substantially once the redevelopment is finished. Then add in over 2,500 new homes at Port Loop, Soho Wharf and Infirmary Wharf.

jonfsnow liked this post
Old February 8th, 2019, 03:46 PM   #8
RalphGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Would Ian View Post
Great find RalphGuy! Interesting how they've detached Area 1 from the rest of the estate which should indicate they'll be going for greater height and density there than the rest of Ladywood! This should also have a positive knock on effect on any future developments between the Broadway apartments and Sheepcote Street i.e. the Square, Centennial House, Hampton House, Premier Inn Broad Street, and the rear of the old Brasshouse building as the current flats and houses on Ryland and Essington Streets would probably have had an impact on anything remotely tall if they went to planning.

I seem to remember nigeman posting a render which included a tall the other side of the Brasshouse Centre and it got people speculating. I would certainly expect that the council estate behind the Brasshouse centre will be demolished and replaced with much taller buildings. It's absolutely screaming out for some talls.

Bear Would Ian, Kingsheathen liked this post
Old February 8th, 2019, 03:53 PM   #9
djay
The promised land

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
Could all this additional proposed redevelopment now mean we see a new train station on the existing line or an additional route for the tram from Five Ways? Presumably the number of people living in this area or visiting this area will increase substantially once the redevelopment is finished. Then add in over 2,500 new homes at Port Loop, Soho Wharf and Infirmary Wharf.
I doubt it. But it certainly might give it a better business case. At present there isn't any plans to introduce either.

Old February 8th, 2019, 03:55 PM   #10
RalphGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
I doubt it. But it certainly might give it a better business case. At present there isn't any plans to introduce either.

The better business case is what I'm hoping for.
Old February 8th, 2019, 05:13 PM   #11
Bear Would Ian
BWI

Likes (Received): 565

I haven't read all of it yet but one of the problems identified was a lack of a bus service through Ladywood. Given this and the aim of remodelling the street layout I'd argue for the route of one of the 80's to be diverted, via St Vincent Street perhaps.
Bear Would Ian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2019, 05:49 PM   #12
Brummigrant

Likes (Received): 444

I would imagine that there'd be more political will to build a new commuter train station than a tram extension.
Brummigrant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2019, 05:52 PM   #13
RalphGuy

The fact that there is an existing line gives the train an advantage. On top of that, jon brought up the idea about where exactly would a tram go if it was heading out to the new hospital from Five Ways. Now there may be a solution but it looks like a new rail station is a much safer bet.
Old February 8th, 2019, 08:29 PM   #14
CL81

Likes (Received): 546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Would Ian View Post
Great find RalphGuy! Interesting how they've detached Area 1 from the rest of the estate which should indicate they'll be going for greater height and density there than the rest of Ladywood!
Area 1 should be offices in my opinion. If done well it will feel like a brindley place extention.
CL81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2019, 08:31 PM   #15
djay
The promised land

I would put my money on a tram. Rail expansion is generally led by Network Rail even if the CA has some extra powers these days.

Old February 8th, 2019, 10:33 PM   #16
Brummigrant

Likes (Received): 444

If the extension were to cost £500m, would it not be seen as worth investing in an extension that plugs into the East Birmingham/Solihull line? Far easier to get a few £10m to open a new basic train station for the area.

Also S106 funding could be used to partially fund a train station, much less a metro extension.
Brummigrant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2019, 10:47 AM   #17
RalphGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
I seem to remember nigeman posting a render which included a tall the other side of the Brasshouse Centre and it got people speculating. I would certainly expect that the council estate behind the Brasshouse centre will be demolished and replaced with much taller buildings. It's absolutely screaming out for some talls.

Found it. Page 294 of the Official Birmingham Thread but it turns out that the 'ghost' tower is directly behind the Brasshouse Centre rather than on the existing council estate. Still, I would expect this area to be targeted by a developer for tall buildings.

As for building offices here, there's plenty of office space being built at Arena and Paradise and probably also to come at Axis so I would hope it would be non-office buildings here.
Old February 9th, 2019, 10:51 AM   #18
sefton66

Likes (Received): 7366

Doubt there will be offices

Park central type redevelopment I think
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2019, 01:12 PM   #19
djay
The promised land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brummigrant View Post
If the extension were to cost £500m, would it not be seen as worth investing in an extension that plugs into the East Birmingham/Solihull line? Far easier to get a few £10m to open a new basic train station for the area.

Also S106 funding could be used to partially fund a train station, much less a metro extension.
S106 money could not be used. It would have to be CIL but I think there are issues with that too.

Old February 9th, 2019, 03:14 PM   #20
RalphGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
Doubt there will be offices

Park central type redevelopment I think

My impression from reading the report is that the Council wants it to be a housing led regeneration initiative but with more varied uses compared to Park Central.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement