Official Birmingham Development Thread 50! - Page 42 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 23rd, 2019, 02:58 PM   #821
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppmb80 View Post
Yes I have no idea where it is !!!!!

Coming from town, as you cross over the Middleway on to Bristol Road, it's on the right hand side after the McDonalds.
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 23rd, 2019, 03:23 PM   #822
Ppmb80
PSS1980

Likes (Received): 519

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
Coming from town, as you cross over the Middleway on to Bristol Road, it's on the right hand side after the McDonalds.
Ok many thanks

RalphGuy liked this post
Ppmb80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2019, 04:34 PM   #823
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1014

.... what a random proposal...

any idea of its source. the image used doesnt look real!
Advertisement

Old August 23rd, 2019, 04:57 PM   #824
PerpetualBrum
💙 Birmingham #1

Likes (Received): 14140

According to Simon Felton (who works for BCC at Lancaster Circus), the project has been in preapp discussions for the past year, which I suppose is normal really, but the site had been a cycle works compound until now, so now it's coming forward. It's a real forthcoming proposal & now they're consulting & discussing it at meetings...

DaciaDuster, RalphGuy liked this post
PerpetualBrum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2019, 05:00 PM   #825
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1014

they need to invest in much better (and flattering) visual perspectives if youre going to ask the public their opinion lol!

PerpetualBrum, DaciaDuster liked this post
woodhousen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2019, 05:18 PM   #826
PerpetualBrum
💙 Birmingham #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhousen View Post
they need to invest in much better (and flattering) visual perspectives if youre going to ask the public their opinion lol!
It looks to be a doctored image by Janet from Calthorpe Residents Association with nowt better to do.

For all we know the dev/arch will have an array of pictures ready showing the development. Either way that meeting is gonna be frostier than Wayne Rooney's bedroom. If it is the pic the dev/arch are going with..well, I can only shake my head man and hope stringent discussions continue before a proper submission

Last edited by PerpetualBrum; August 23rd, 2019 at 05:24 PM.
Old August 23rd, 2019, 06:54 PM   #827
jonfsnow

Likes (Received): 1423

Not sure where to post it but there were some workmen and some sort of site investigation drill machine thing outside Cornwall House in the JQ today, potentially doing searches, so do we think we'll hear something about that site soon?
jonfsnow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2019, 12:55 AM   #828
PerpetualBrum
💙 Birmingham #1

Bit of an odd one, but our Interactive Map has appeared in a Job Centre (and it may be in others) in the City Centre as a way of getting people into construction jobs.

Old August 24th, 2019, 10:27 AM   #829
Hasaandoo

Likes (Received): 1499

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualBrum View Post
Bit of an odd one, but our Interactive Map has appeared in a Job Centre (and it may be in others) in the City Centre as a way of getting people into construction jobs.

Wait are they allowed to do that lol
Hasaandoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2019, 12:34 PM   #830
ComPurch

Likes (Received): 778

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComPurch View Post
Has anyone considered it is actually a demon photoshop by the erstwhile Calthorpe Residents Society and that the idea is actually a back-of-a-fag-packet proposal at present?
Possibly dreamt-up in said McD's...
I'm 'avvin yow for plagiarism at 03:57 and 04:18, PB!
ComPurch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2019, 05:30 PM   #831
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 5763

Dudley Port; next to Morrisons I think.

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON ~ BIRMINGHAM 2022
DBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2019, 07:00 PM   #832
sefton66

Likes (Received): 7283

yup looking at maps the corners cut off by the drive thru too
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2019, 10:35 PM   #833
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 1907

Ok this is my honest opinion here....
My son is hopefully going to Leeds College of Music after B'ham Conservatoire didn't offer him a place while he waiting for a cancellation. Yesterday we went on a recce and he had never been while I had visited a few times but not really explored Leeds properly. Yes it was hot and sunny but we both thought it was at least on a par with Brum regarding size and offer. Personally I think they have a better road system which doesn't let traffic clog up in a series of dead ends like in Brum, a better spread of retail throughout the city centre and not concentrated into one segment (see how Corp Street suffers still because of this,) many more beautiful ornate covered arcades (I would love to see Cherry Street given this treatment with a lovely arched / segmented glass roof,) a better dock / wharf than any of ours and many more heritage buildings.
Of course I want the best for Brum but it sadly lacks in lots of areas still after all these years of development and investment. I want our canals to be truly spruced up and to become the focus of our city centre (I do bang on about this!) but water is the most important pulling factor; Typhoo Wharf should be a priority now; Eastside Locks should be developed now, somehow get some water from the Rea into a new wharf inside Smithfield surrounded by elegant and stylish buildings. Tidy up and re-use our beautiful historic buildings now and don't let them go to waste - there are so many of them.
We need to refresh the Big City Plan again and supercharge it....NOW!
Old August 27th, 2019, 11:05 PM   #834
Route 435

Likes (Received): 227

Agree about Leeds being a good city to live in, obviously the Parisian covered arcades are what it's known for. Where is Cherry St in Brum? Wish we Could've gone down that route with the Bull Ring redevelopment instead of a mall, so it felt more part of the city shopping instead of cut off. Is it true that Leeds has more independent shops and bars than Brum?? Seems a lot down Calls Lane. Their circular market hall and markets generally are fantastic.
Not a big fan of the suburbs or it's grid layout though.

morestoreysplease, GregglesUK liked this post
Route 435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2019, 12:45 AM   #835
rotundazag

Likes (Received): 1083

spot on about the bullring - better than the 60s effort, but still the ‘great wall of Brum’ - creates a barrier (along with Primark) Out towards Digbeth.

Leeds has some really interesting Victorian architecture, (& decent old boozers) however having spent a couple of weeks up there a few years back - I don’t think it’s as friendly as Brum.

That’s something we never seem to acknowledge on here - me missus is from ‘oop north’ and she reckons Brum and the surrounding areas is far more friendly than most parts of the UK - I certainly notice it more when I revisit.

RalphGuy liked this post
rotundazag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2019, 10:07 AM   #836
Force_alfa

Likes (Received): 484

I have family in Leeds and visit often, the city centre is good but I can’t agree it’s better than Birmingham. The suburbs are not so nice and generally I’m not the biggest fan of the city, tbh.

Regarding Birmingham, we are still overcoming the 60s planning and eventually when completed, the city will flourish. Digbeth will have its time to expand the city,
Old August 28th, 2019, 07:21 PM   #837
mylesbrum

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotundazag View Post
That’s something we never seem to acknowledge on here - me missus is from ‘oop north’ and she reckons Brum and the surrounding areas is far more friendly than most parts of the UK - I certainly notice it more when I revisit.
I absolutely agree with this - I was in Manchester last week and what struck me was how rude and unfriendly a majority of the people there are! Everyone seems miserable and serious, it's quite weird to experience that when you're used to Brum folk who are always down for a laugh.

(the staff in Snow Hill Tesco are probably the nicest I've seen in any shop ever, proves my point )

rotundazag, ComPurch, Hasaandoo, joshwebb liked this post
mylesbrum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2019, 07:45 PM   #838
ComPurch

Likes (Received): 778

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesbrum View Post
I absolutely agree with this - I was in Manchester last week and what struck me was how rude and unfriendly a majority of the people there are! Everyone seems miserable and serious...
You would be if you realised 'Cold Feet' represents hip n' trendy Mancland.

At least we've got ("By order of the") Peaky Blinders, glad handing Brum to

180+ Nations...

RalphGuy, Hasaandoo liked this post
ComPurch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2019, 08:11 PM   #839
Mosleyan

Likes (Received): 3606

Earlier today I've noticed a piling rig and a digger or two from my window right across the road from Paragon hotel. So it means we have another start. The only thing is that I can't be sure whether it's Westminster Works or 150-159 Moseley Street. Unless someone beats me to it, I'll try go there tomorrow and find out more. Here's a picture I took my the quality is horrible but it's the best I could do.

Old August 28th, 2019, 08:57 PM   #840
joshwebb
User Registered

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesbrum View Post
I absolutely agree with this - I was in Manchester last week and what struck me was how rude and unfriendly a majority of the people there are! Everyone seems miserable and serious, it's quite weird to experience that when you're used to Brum folk who are always down for a laugh.

(the staff in Snow Hill Tesco are probably the nicest I've seen in any shop ever, proves my point )

They seem to have chips on their shoulders in that little mill town.

Hasaandoo liked this post
joshwebb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement