Great Charles Square | Great Charles Street Queensway | Residential | Pre-App. - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 7th, 2006, 07:02 PM   #21
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1017

but there isnt any homes looking onto the site...are they not just more offices???
Advertisement

Old June 7th, 2006, 08:47 PM   #22
Rigadon
ISAO OKANO

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLD
Diving through Birmingham would be a very dismal affair if all of these roads were put in to tunnels. The last people would see of the city would be Lancaster Circus flyover, until they re-emerged on the Bristol Road at Holloway Circus. A lot of people who visit the city for the first time arrive via the A38(M) Aston Expressway, and to cover all these roads over with concrete tunnels would be a disaster. .

What are you goign on about? Who on earth takes a bad view of a city based on tunnles for cars. I relaly think we shoudl be putting pedestrian access far above driving pleasure
Rigadon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 08:51 PM   #23
Rigadon
ISAO OKANO

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhousen
but there isnt any homes looking onto the site...are they not just more offices???

Ludgate lofts on the corner
Rigadon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2006, 01:56 AM   #24
Martin G

Likes (Received): 47

This area (Ludgate, Great Charles Street) is CRYING OUT for some tall buildings of 120m+. But we're not going to ******* well get any are we more's the pity.

Re: the issue with the wide (ex) Ringway at this point, it's always struck me as odd that the four lanes leading into the [dingy - and in utterly desperate need of complete recladding and re-lighting] Paradise Circus tunnels are actually more or less level whilst the lanes that avoid it on either side are steeply graded. Very San Francisco that is!.

Anyway, rather than make the road any narrower and thus create more traffic congestion, I feel that wide overpasses/bridges for pedestrians linking both sides once development schemes are underway would be the best solution. This has long been achieved in Glasgow City Centre where the terrifying M8 motorway skirts the western flank and literally carves its way around the city centre, cutting Sauchiehall Street in two. There are numerous overbridges passing across the TEN LANE WIDE M8 at this point but people don't seem to be so opposed to the sheer size of - and physical barrier created by - the urban motorway up there do they? Because it has been sunken to below street level. But once around this arc it then runs on stilts all the way towards the nightmarishly convoluted Townhead Interchange (Glasgow's own Spaghetti Junction - in fact, just one of several) near St Mungo's Cathedral - and yet nobody considers that an absolute eyesore! Interesting or what?
Martin G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 04:27 AM   #25
Fusionist
unBANNED

Likes (Received): 15

[IMG]http://i5.************/12229vm.jpg[/IMG]

this is my idea. More in line with Shel's.

A wider connection is more pedestrian friendly than a bridge. Also brings more 'life' to the place. I would like to see somethnig similar to the likes of Old Square here.
Fusionist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 10:26 AM   #26
Bachy Soletanche
Disco and drugs trade

Likes (Received): 3780

Looks good to me!
"What do you thus rail at me, as if I had done such an heinous act, contrary to the nature of man? I tell you that if you did but know how pleasant the taste of man's flesh was, none of you all would forbear to eat it;"
Bachy Soletanche no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 10:35 AM   #27
woodhousen

nice idea butt it deffeats the idea of a slip road joining a high-speed road if you stop traffic on it!
Old June 8th, 2006, 11:50 AM   #28
brum2003

Likes (Received): 257

thats what i can't get my head around, why does this road need to be high speed ? slow things down and give this street back to pedestrians, its the only way to reintegrate st.pauls square to the city....
brum2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 11:54 AM   #29
FLD

Likes (Received): 1

Isn't it a 40mph road?
FLD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 11:57 AM   #30
woodhousen

Quote:
Originally Posted by brum2003
thats what i can't get my head around, why does this road need to be high speed ? slow things down and give this street back to pedestrians, its the only way to reintegrate st.pauls square to the city....
because now, with the down grading of the east side of the ringroad, this road has to take the strain of ALL through traffic int he city centre..... i dont thing people appreciate how much of an asset it is until you go to the likes on manchester etc..... i am all for the better integration with st pauls squarem, but not at the cost of downgrading this road.....

i agree with martin g here!
Old June 8th, 2006, 12:08 PM   #31
Nacho

Likes (Received): 290

Very nice Fusionist.
Nacho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 12:47 PM   #32
brum2003

Likes (Received): 257

well if you have to have the road, then just stick some pedestrian crossings on it, the above looks fantastic, as i said, other city's manage to have major roads going through that are not just urban motorways ?
brum2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 02:47 PM   #33
SimLim

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH
No one at my end can see how they can make it stack without a hundred storey tower.
You never know
Old June 8th, 2006, 05:47 PM   #34
Fusionist
unBANNED

Likes (Received): 15

woody, but isn't that what the tunnel is for ? high speed traffic. The traffic light, pedestrian crossing etc will be only on the two lanes, that can be downgraded to 'exits' while retaining the faster tunnel option.
Fusionist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 08:09 PM   #35
Martin G

Likes (Received): 47

Nice idea there Fusionist - I can see how something like that would work in another city but probably not here in Brum. One other thing though, what the hell is a small version of the Pepsi Max Big One doing going across the ringway as well?
Martin G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 08:57 PM   #36
Usherling

Likes (Received): 0

Hey.

I am positive it will look nice, a bit of TLC is in aid for that area. Hopefuly a bit of green, trees, some parks and some flowers, will spruce up the area and bring a a more pleasant atmosphere to it...Coz when I'm driving round that region its dull...
Usherling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 09:34 PM   #37
CargoHold
Ow'amya ?

Likes (Received): 4

I don't see why they cannot slow the traffic down, it has to stop at Newhall Street anyway, so why would another crossing be a problem ?. Trying to rush traffic from one bottle neck to the next seems a bit pointless to me anyway.

They managed to sort out Masshouse Circus, Great Charles Street should be manageable surely ?
CargoHold no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 12:39 AM   #38
SimonTheSoundMan
ENTJ 8w9

Likes (Received): 1906

Why not move St Chad's to somewhere else?
SimonTheSoundMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 09:59 AM   #39
woodhousen

yet more titilation

Quote:
Key city centre site will link Quarter
Jun 16 2006

Work on a £100 million redevelopment of a prime Birmingham city centre site off Great Charles Street will begin early next year, developers announced last night.

HBG Properties, which is believed to have paid more than £25 million for the derelict two-acre site, said a mixed-use scheme including offices, housing and car parking would be completed by 2010.

The project will also involve building a new footbridge across Great Charles Street, connecting the city centre and the Jewellery Quarter.

The land, which consists of surface-level car parks, was to have been the home for Birmingham's new coach station. It was remarketed by the council after the coach station plans fell through.

Ken Hardeman Birmingham cabinet member for regeneration, said: "HBG's track record and resources mean this site will finally be regenerated after years in the doldrums. I'm particularly pleased that the scheme will enable a major improvement to the footbridge over Great Charles Street.

"The capital receipt will enable opportunities to address connectivity to the Jewellery Quarter in innovative ways."

HBG's schemes have included Birmingham Great Park and the construction of buildings at Brindleyplace.

Regional director Peter Burford said: "HBG Properties is delighted to have been chosen.

"We intend to create a building worthy of the prominence of this site, and will be working hard over the next few weeks to conclude the formalities, before sitting down with the planners.

"We are keen to incorporate ecologically advanced design."
Old June 16th, 2006, 10:56 AM   #40
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 572

That's good news - HBG must have something in mind already, and they have a good track record. And £100m! That's something along the lines of The Cube!

I would like us all to make an agreement - if we don't like what they propose, be it of poor quality, not adventurous enough or inappropriate, we should object when it goes to planning. Sound ok?
Advertisement