Erdington - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:19 PM   #121
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

Likes (Received): 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markb03 View Post
Whatever happened to the Argos and Wilkinsons that was rumoured for Erdington?
I imagine Argos feel that Castle Vale is close enough, it's a short hop on the 28.

As for Wilkinson's, where would they go? They had an opportunity with the old Woolworths which is now tat peddler B&M.
hoody no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:48 PM   #122
Markb03

Likes (Received): 153

Where the old Somerfield was up in the square
Markb03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 12:52 PM   #123
daveuns

Likes (Received): 0

Sainsbury's plans for the Colliers site have now been published, more info here www.sainsburys-erdington.co.uk.

Looks good to me, I think that Erdington needs a second supermarket to compete with the Co-Op. Only downside is that Honeywell House will be going, which with the loss of Harlech Tower takes away Erdington's mini skyline.
daveuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 30th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #124
BABYCAKES

Likes (Received): 147

The loss of Honeywell house a bad sign? you cannot be serious??!!
Old May 30th, 2011, 11:06 PM   #125
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 268

Wylde Green up the road is going to have a better skyline than Erdington soon!
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 08:40 PM   #126
daveuns

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABYCAKES View Post
The loss of Honeywell house a bad sign? you cannot be serious??!!
Only from the point of view that it was a key part of the Erdington mini skyline! The building itself is nothing special! Although I did used to love walking along the walls around the front of it when I was a kid
daveuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 03:01 PM   #127
BABYCAKES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
Wylde Green up the road is going to have a better skyline than Erdington soon!
Why is it important to you that Erdington should have a 'skyline' at all, whats important is that the area gets the economic investment & job creating opportunities it deserves.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 03:34 PM   #128
Brummyboy92
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1555

He only mentioned it once babycakes and why not?
Old June 2nd, 2011, 04:04 PM   #129
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 268

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABYCAKES View Post
Why is it important to you that Erdington should have a 'skyline' at all, whats important is that the area gets the economic investment & job creating opportunities it deserves.
I only said it as a joke, blimey. I'm all for job creation - especially Erdington which is in dire need of decent jobs.

Saying that, I'm worried what effect the Sainsbury's is going to have on Erdington High Street. It could very well make the Erdington BID pointless when everything gravitates away from the High Street.

Also, what's going on at the YMCA site? Is it anywhere near completion?
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 04:06 PM   #130
Brummyboy92
Registered Abuser

Drove past the YMCA Site the other day looks complete.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 12:21 AM   #131
BABYCAKES

Its not complete, drive past the main entrance and you will see construction very much still in progress.
Old June 24th, 2015, 12:00 AM   #132
Bugbyte
Plant in full sun

Likes (Received): 520

To clarify the 'frightening' bit, as it sounds a bit off. Erdington has a good range of shops and even though it has deteriorated and some of the big names have gone it is still bustling. However, there is an issue with drunks approaching cars and people which can be intimidating. Erdington could quite easily become the next Mosley but with better transport links.
Bugbyte no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 12:31 AM   #133
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

Likes (Received): 473

I hated living in Erdington and was glad to get out.

The issue was the people who had next to no pride in themselves or the place.

Drinking heavily in the street outside The Acorn and Swan, swearing to 'friends' across the High Street in front of children, the amount of litter is unbelievable.

Anything nice they had the sought to destroy, like the floating ball outside the former blockbusters.

I can't ever see it become like Moseley.
hoody no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 02:18 AM   #134
TJF

Likes (Received): 157

I wonder what Erdington would be like now if it weren't for the M6?
TJF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 10:32 AM   #135
Brummyboy92
Registered Abuser

I also think Erdington has a lot of potential, if it weren't for the usual greedy landlords we could of had some interesting stores here by the now.
Brummyboy92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 06:45 PM   #136
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4288

I remember as a young lad, my parents telling me how Erdington had been a good place to visit when they were young. Now it`s all subjective obviously, but I can imagine back in the 50s/60s it would have had an attractive, bustling vibe.

Now it is a sh1thole.
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 07:00 PM   #137
Bugbyte
Plant in full sun

We moved out of Erdington when our eldest was 3. The house we had was lovely, the street was quiet with good neighbours and we could walk to the shops or get the train to Birmingham easily. But the local school had the most awful parents, who at 3:30 would regularly swear, drink and hit their kids with absolutely no shame. We moved for the schools to Sutton, where I grew up. I know this was mostly confined to one school, as you don't see this at St Barnabas or Yenton. I don't know what the answer is with the drunks. They just congregate on the high street. They are human beings that deserve respect and having their needs met, but I don't know what can be done.

RalphGuy liked this post
Old June 25th, 2015, 07:14 PM   #138
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugbyte View Post
We moved out of Erdington when our eldest was 3. The house we had was lovely, the street was quiet with good neighbours and we could walk to the shops or get the train to Birmingham easily. But the local school had the most awful parents, who at 3:30 would regularly swear, drink and hit their kids with absolutely no shame. We moved for the schools to Sutton, where I grew up. I know this was mostly confined to one school, as you don't see this at St Barnabas or Yenton. I don't know what the answer is with the drunks. They just congregate on the high street. They are human beings that deserve respect and having their needs met, but I don't know what can be done.

This is something I often think of when I see people with obvious problems but who could be seen to be a nuisance to the general public.

All these people are, or certainly were, somebody`s son or daughter or mother or father. We forget the other people who are connected to them.

We also forget that at some point in their life, they were cute chubby cheeked babies. Very sad. Maybe that is when the problems start, largely to do with their upbringing and the environment in which they interact with others.

How do we stop this before it starts?

I`m buggered if I know what the answer is.

One thing I do know is that giving them money is not the answer. Even John Bird, the founder of Big Issue, told readers not to give the sellers of the magazine money for nothing.

Bugbyte liked this post
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2015, 02:00 PM   #139
Bugbyte
Plant in full sun

Erdington Leisure Centre, Orphanage Road, Prop.

Sutton Coldfield Observer Link

WORK is set to start on a new multi-million pound Erdington Leisure Centre after plans were unveiled last week.

Proposed plans for the new Erdington Leisure Centre have been shared as part of a public consultation process at the Erdington ward meeting on Wednesday, October 21.

The £6.5 million investment will include a six-lane 25m swimming pool, learner pool, workout studio for classes, gym, sauna and steam facilities, changing facilities plus a community room.

The new building will be located on Orphanage Road and work is expected to begin as early as spring 2016.

Read more: http://www.suttoncoldfieldobserver.c...#ixzz3q97K5Or1
Follow us: @SuttonObserver on Twitter | sutton.coldfield.observer.official on Facebook

Consultation document currently not available on BCC website.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
Old October 31st, 2015, 02:16 PM   #140
Rijowhite

Likes (Received): 300

Sounds great, take it this is replacing the old pool behind the Library. About time methinks. Is this where the College building is/was?
Rijowhite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement