ASK THE FORUM | Germany - Austria - Q&A (language, travelling, moving, general questions etc.) - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Deutschsprachiges Wolkenkratzer Forum

Deutschsprachiges Wolkenkratzer Forum » Berlin | Bremen | Frankfurt | Hamburg | Hannover | Kiel | Köln | Metropole-Ruhr | München | Sachsendreieck | Stuttgart
» Wien | Linz | Graz | Innsbruck | Salzburg | St. Pölten

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 21st, 2005, 03:56 AM   #1
Jai-C

Likes (Received): 1

ASK THE FORUM | Germany - Austria - Q&A (language, travelling, moving, general questions etc.)

In this thread you can ask for the best places in Germany to visit, how to reach them (public trainsport, best airlines etc.) and what to do there

Everything about travelling to or through Germany can be discussed here as well.

Ludi liked this post

Last edited by erbse; August 30th, 2009 at 09:38 PM.
Jai-C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2005, 10:37 PM   #2
Ekumenopolis
Neon overdose

Likes (Received): 3898

Traveling to/through Germany

Hello everyone!

Im from Spain, and planning a trip through Germany this summer. My girlfriend and me want to visit specially this 3 cities: Koln, Frankfurt am Main and Berlin. Our trip should be 8 or 9 days, arriving and leaving from Koln.

Can you tell me what are the "you-cant-miss" places in this cities? And how much time should we spend in each place? Is there any train pass for some days? That sort of information would be very interesting and i would apreciate it. Danke shon!!
Ecumenopolis: "The city of the future, covering most of the habitable surface of the Earth as a continuous system, forming an universal settlement, the limits determined by climatic constraints and the extent of fairly flat land."
Ekumenopolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 11:35 PM   #3
il fenomeno
BreitesBündnisDWF

Likes (Received): 27967

in frankfurt dont miss to visit the observation deck of the main tower.

visit the nearby shopping street "zeil" and if theres still time take a trip the "palmengarten" thats a botanic garden. of course, if you are into skyscrapes, just walk around where the highrises are.
its no city for tourists though, so dont stay longer than 2 days.
my 2cents about your frankfurt stay
il fenomeno no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2005, 11:52 PM   #4
Ekumenopolis
Neon overdose

Molto obrigado!

More?
Ecumenopolis: "The city of the future, covering most of the habitable surface of the Earth as a continuous system, forming an universal settlement, the limits determined by climatic constraints and the extent of fairly flat land."
Old March 30th, 2005, 12:18 AM   #5
sebastian c

Likes (Received): 14

Köln is also a place which might get boring after 2 days, better spend some more time in Berlin which I personnally find more fascinating.

What you "should" do: Of course visit the Cathedral (don´t forget the wonderful treasury and to climb the tower(s)!), enjoy an evening in (small) old town - you find many restaurants here -, use http://www.koelner-seilbahn.de/english/index.html to cross the rhine - and enjoy the wonderful parc on the other side.

Köln has also got some special museums, for example the chocolate museum, which are quite interesting. Also the aquarium is one of the nicest in Germany.
Boat tours on the rhine are of course possible, too.

You won´t find much interesting architecture or many spectacular highrises in Köln, maybe except http://www.mediapark.de/ .

Shopping is quite good in Köln, but I think you also have that in Madrid.
sebastian c no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 12:41 AM   #6
Ekumenopolis
Neon overdose

Wow.. a good guide of Koln! (beyond the cathedral!)
Thanks, Sebastian!

More, more!!
Old March 30th, 2005, 12:52 AM   #7
LuckyLuke

Hello

Take a look at the Berlin Tourist Info site http://www.btm.de It's also in Spanish

Aww there are so many things that are great! but you should go to the Potsdamer Platz with its Sony Center and the other futuristic buildings.

Pariser Platz with the Brandenburger Gate and those great embassy buildings.

If you would like to go shopping you might go to Galeries Lafayette or Quartier 206.

Castle Sanssouci and Charlottenburg

The Reichstag

The Gendarmenmarkt

and be sure to visit the Musemusinsel

I hope I could help you a bit

Last edited by UNIT-er; January 22nd, 2017 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Tote Foto-Links gelöscht.
LuckyLuke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 01:11 AM   #8
Ekumenopolis
Neon overdose

Sure u did, mate!! What about the nightlife?
Old March 30th, 2005, 02:38 AM   #9
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 1448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekumenopolis
Sure u did, mate!! What about the nightlife?
I recommend Hackescher Markt and Prenzlauer Berg. The "Kulturbrauerei" is probably a nice place for nightlife.

Are there any special reasons why to visit these three cities (for example distant relatives, friends)?
DiggerD21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 04:32 PM   #10
Ekumenopolis
Neon overdose

Not really, but arriving and landing from Koln is cheaper for me. I love skyscrapers so i wanna visit Frankfurt, and my favourite (by the moment) city in Germany is Berlin, so...
Old March 30th, 2005, 06:20 PM   #11
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1991

Make shure you take the ICE from Köln to Frankfurt
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 08:56 PM   #12
Desven

Likes (Received): 12

but that's very expensive!!
Cologne(Köln) is great for shopping,especially for fashion!!and of course you should visit the cathedral and climb the tower!there are also nice bars and restaurants!
if you love skyscrapers,you will love Frankfurt,too!the observation deck of the Maintower is great,and it's not expensive!and you also should visit the older parts of Frankfurt which are really amazing!
Desven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 09:05 PM   #13
il fenomeno
BreitesBündnisDWF

yeah right. visit the "römerberg" and spent an evening in "alt-sachenhausen". pretty nice in summer
Old March 31st, 2005, 12:40 PM   #14
Mike

Likes (Received): 12

Or if you dare, visit some of the clubs in Frankfurt: http://www.frankfurt-pur.de/purlocations.php
Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 04:15 PM   #15
Ekumenopolis
Neon overdose

Wow, now i have a lot of info about things to see and do in my trip. I thank all of your for your advices. Danke danke danke shon! hahaha

BTW, one more question is about transportation. I guess the best way for moving is the train. Any week pass or similars?
Old April 1st, 2005, 04:46 PM   #16
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 1968

I think most people have answered this, although, if I were you, I'd make it Frankfurt, Hamburg, Berlin.

Köln is ok, but there really isn't a lot to see there.

The same for Frankfurt. There are no grand museums (certainly not compared to Madrid), and very little to offer tourists. Usually, most of the interesting things can be seen in half a day.

A walk along the river, up the Main tower (that is a must) and a walk along the shopping street. I don't recommend the Palmengarten. It's nice, but you got real palm trees in Spain and it's free to see - why pay to see them in Frankfurt?

The ICE is not too expensive if you book well ahead, and it certainly is the best way to get around. In fact, if you splurge a bit for 1st class (which is still affordable in my opinion) go for it. It takes 1 hour (approx) between Frankfurt and Koln, and probably about three hours then to Berlin. How else were you going to travel?

Now Berlin has loads to see. It is a fantastic city and you can easily spend a week there.

However, it is NOT a beautiful city. Don't expect lovely buildings like Madrid, it is quite run down in parts, and under construction in others, but it is so facinating.

Keep in mind that on Sunday's, plan trips to museums or parks, as there is little else to do in this country on that day.

As long as you don't spend too much time in Frankfurt or Köln, you'd have a great time.

What hotels were you planning in staying in?
Old April 1st, 2005, 07:38 PM   #17
il fenomeno
BreitesBündnisDWF

go to alt-sachsenhausen, drink 10 liter 'stöffche' (cider) and take revenge for the likes of german tourists on spanish beaches every summer!
Old April 2nd, 2005, 04:19 PM   #18
Ekumenopolis
Neon overdose

LOL..

@Justme:
I must see the hotel offer, but i think it will be some cute hostels or cheap hotels or so.. i dont wanna stay in youth hostels with a lot of Inter-rail people. For moving arount, inside the city i think the best idea is subway, right? Yup, i wont see so much things as moving by bus, but i prefer subway. And, between the cities, train of course. How may i get ICE? Is it only for Europeans? (my girlfriend is Mexican)
Old April 2nd, 2005, 05:21 PM   #19
LuckyLuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekumenopolis
LOL..

@Justme:
I must see the hotel offer, but i think it will be some cute hostels or cheap hotels or so.. i dont wanna stay in youth hostels with a lot of Inter-rail people. For moving arount, inside the city i think the best idea is subway, right? Yup, i wont see so much things as moving by bus, but i prefer subway. And, between the cities, train of course. How may i get ICE? Is it only for Europeans? (my girlfriend is Mexican)
what do you mean with "How may i get ICE? Is it only for Europeans? (my girlfriend is Mexican)"?
LuckyLuke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2005, 08:11 PM   #20
Ekumenopolis
Neon overdose

I mean that i dont know what the hell is the ICE. And, if its a travel pass, there are some travel passes that are only for Europeans!

If its a train or so, then my question isnt valid, of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement