MEXICO - Stadium and Arena Development News - Page 9 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 15th, 2008, 06:06 AM   #161
IHaveNoLegs
No Fat Chicks

Likes (Received): 37

bob the builder ruins another thread, fantastic.
agree with mo's comments. mexico simply wouldn't be ready in 2010, could make a good bid for 2018.
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2008, 06:18 AM   #162
elgoyo

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
I don't mind back up proposals but at least be sensible enough to propose back up countries that have 8 40,000 seat venues ready tomorrow. Please don't propose dairy farmers hicks village stadium in townsville and expect anybody to take you seriously. If South Africa needs back up venues, it has Newlands, Kings Park and others already in existence

Mexico as a back up is laughable. Ideally the back up host should have venues that meet FIFA requirements.

FIFA's back ups are Germany, England and USA, even if Blatter has not even had the decency to contact these nations to discuss being a back up.
Mexico has way better stadiums, soccer leagues and tourism infrastructure then South Africa, so why the laugh??
elgoyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 06:34 AM   #163
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

What cracks me up the most is the hysteria about one of the stadiums being so far behind schedule that it won't be ready in time (then, in a very small, throwaway comment, the note that it won't be ready for the Confederations Cup ONE YEAR BEFORE the finals).

Some people don't want to hear the truth. South Africa appears likely to have every they said they would have by the time the finals come round. The only worry that really remains is the law and order issue - and frankly, I don't recall tales of cricket and/or rugby fans being mugged, raped or murdered en-mass over the last decades worth of tournaments and tours.
Benjuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2008, 06:50 AM   #164
Benn

Likes (Received): 237

Well it's all very hypothetical at this point, and I for one expect South Africa to host, and do a good job of it. But it is good to have a plan B just in case at any rate.
Benn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 07:21 AM   #165
HUSKER
NUEVO ESTADO DE LA LAGUNA

Likes (Received): 947

Mexico is not, and will not, be ready to host a WC anytime soon., Many folks here in Mexico have the crazy idea that our stadium infraestrucure is still one of the best in the world, when in reallity we are 2nd tier., many over 20 years old., The only new stadiums with construction under way are the 45 k chivas stadium and the 29 k (expandible to 38 k) New santos laguna stadium., Im mexican but I have a neutral opinion because i've seen what other countries have donde with many new stadiums.
Old July 15th, 2008, 08:03 AM   #166
hngcm

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgoyo View Post
Mexico has way better stadiums, soccer leagues and tourism infrastructure then South Africa, so why the laugh??
Soccer league?

Yes.

Tourism infrastructure?

Maybe.

Stadiums?

Hell no.

I'm sorry but besides Azteca and the new Chivas stadium, the rest of the stadiums don't really compare to the brand new stadiums in South Africa.
hngcm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 08:51 AM   #167
theespecialone

mexico hosting for a 3rd time is just unfair
theespecialone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 09:27 AM   #168
BobDaBuilder

Likes (Received): 1

It would be a Mexican standoff if they got it.

Now they have Susan Boyle.
BobDaBuilder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 09:48 AM   #169
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgoyo View Post
Mexico has way better stadiums
I disagree. We have a set of high capacity world class existing venues that aren't even being used for 2010 and have been used to host major events from world cups to manchester united matches to major concerts. Im not saying that Mexico doesn't have this, just that many are not aware of the wide range of venues South Africa already has.

We have two world class venues in Newlands and Kings Park, that aren't being used for the world cup. Both have 50,000 capacity.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 10:23 AM   #170
theespecialone

south africa will host a great world cup
Old July 15th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #171
Durbsboi
East Coast Massiv

Likes (Received): 183

Ah Jeez, not one of these threads again.
Squabble all you want, but come next year Feb, I will purchase my tickets for the WC in SA for 2010, then will wait in anticipation for the opening ceremony at Soccer City, Soweto, which at the time will be the best football stadium in the world.

If you really think we that far behind I encourage you to click on the link of my signature, add it to your favourite on you explorer, everytime you log onto the internet, just visit the link, look at the progress being made day by day on these stadiums. Its astonishing to say the least.

Bucket Facebook Page
Durbsboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #172
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
I disagree. We have a set of high capacity world class existing venues that aren't even being used for 2010 and have been used to host major events from world cups to manchester united matches to major concerts. Im not saying that Mexico doesn't have this, just that many are not aware of the wide range of venues South Africa already has.

We have two world class venues in Newlands and Kings Park, that aren't being used for the world cup. Both have 50,000 capacity.
Whats more those stadiums mean that if there is some problem with other venues you have an obvious fallback. Granted it would break some guidelines unless the Durban and Capetown stadiums where the ones behind sedual but FIFA is not going to take away a WC that they have so much invested in politically or finanically because of that.
MoreOrLess no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 01:10 AM   #173
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durbsboi View Post
Ah Jeez, not one of these threads again.
Squabble all you want, but come next year Feb, I will purchase my tickets for the WC in SA for 2010, then will wait in anticipation for the opening ceremony at Soccer City, Soweto, which at the time will be the best football stadium in the world.

If you really think we that far behind I encourage you to click on the link of my signature, add it to your favourite on you explorer, everytime you log onto the internet, just visit the link, look at the progress being made day by day on these stadiums. Its astonishing to say the least.
I don't think anyone doubts that SA can and will host a great finals tournament - I started this thread because I found it amusing to see the head of the Mexican FA suggesting that they are a back-up, when they don't currently have facilities that match up to FIFA's minimum standards. Most of the rest of the thread appears to be arguing about whether they do or don't rather than SA's ability to host.

For the record, as previously stated, I'll be in SA for the finals in 2010 as well... Can't wait.
Old July 16th, 2008, 01:19 AM   #174
Benjuk

Quote:

A comment, and a fact, that many supporters of prospective bids should pay attention to. Looking around the existing SA stadiums on WorldStadiums.com and noting the number of large-scale venues that aren't being used - you realise that nations like England (for example) will have to do a lot more than just plod out the existing stadia and a couple of upgrades to match what is happening down there for 2010.
Old July 16th, 2008, 01:25 AM   #175
woozoo

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
So, you're using an arbitrary table with no proper identification or measurables, without substantiating it's source or authenticity, and citing that as the basis for your argument? Remind me not to use you as my lawyer.
Sorry. It's from a UNICEF report into world poverty and the well being of children.
http://images.google.com.au/imgres?i...3Doff%26sa%3DG
By the way I'm not saying that the US would host a bad world cup. I think they would host a very good world cup. The country has the best stadiums and infrastructure and is well organized so could stage a fantastic event.

IF something happens in South Africa which would prevent it hosting the cup, then I would be happy for USA to host it. In fact USA would be my first pick since Europe had the cup in 2006 and Japan in 2002 (I think it should go to another confederation).

However I don't see why South Africa would not be able to host the cup. I still haven't read anything which makes me think there will be a problem, at all.

Quote:
I found it amusing to see the head of the Mexican FA suggesting that they are a back-up, when they don't currently have facilities that match up to FIFA's minimum standards.
I agree. I don't see how Mexico could host the cup, let alone with competition from the US, European countries, Japan.
woozoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 05:45 AM   #176
theespecialone

south africa has proven it can host major tournaments and it will be more than capable of hosting the biggest event in the world.
Old July 24th, 2008, 09:32 PM   #177
Inaki Vazquez
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Well the Tijuana Stadium is already finish in it first "etapa" ... for 13,300 fans .. !!!

if you want to watch imagen of the stadium go to www.xolos.com.mx
Inaki Vazquez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #178
Harkeb

Likes (Received): 22

^thanks. Blatter is going senile Plan B is good, but only when plan A had collapsed.
Also very strange how Mexico has suddenly replaced Australia as Plan B.
Jeez, even Plan B isnt Plan B anymore!

What does the old sinew reckon SA should do with these
very well progressed stadia... vv

Durban
[IMG]http://i38.************/s6qi6q.jpg[/IMG]

Cape Town
image hosted on flickr

Johannesburg #1

Johannesburg #2

Port Elizabeth

Pretoria

That's besides the billions spent on new hotels,
a new Airport & the upgrading of all other airports in anticipation?
Harkeb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 02:34 PM   #179
annman
Annman

Likes (Received): 961

Anyone that argues that South Africa will not be ready is just ignorant, that's all. They haven't done their homework and looked at the construction progress, the upgraded tourism infrastructure, fan park plans, stadia construction, airport upgrades, hotel developments etc.

Here in South Africa there is generally a feel that after June 2010 the world will blow-up; cease to exist!!! Almost every single project here, even malls, hotels, apartments, offices, road and freeway works, all have a 2010 deadline. This country is currently a forest of cranes, come 2010 all will be in place...

Anyone with doubts... go to our forums in South Africa first, look at the developments, look at the progress, then only post a comment once you can make an informed opinion.

Last edited by annman; July 25th, 2008 at 02:39 PM.
annman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #180
JohanSA

Likes (Received): 542

And people dont ever again say that we should have used the money for houses and whatever. To put the worldcup cost in perspective :

Worldcup cost ( stadia and other worldcup related things ) - around R20 billion
Gautrain - R25 billion
Power supply expansion program - R1 trillion +
Other infrastructure projects - R500 billion
BRT systems for cpt pta jhb - R2.5 billion + R1.5 billion + R2 billion
Contingency savings fund in budget - R20 billion

Housing and health and crime problems you dont solve with just money . Throwing a R100 note at a baby with HIV wont cure him neither will money suddenly spawn engineers!
JohanSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
coahuila, torreón