Snow Hill Wharf | Shadwell Street | Residential | 21fl | 67m | U/C - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham and the Black Country

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 8th, 2017, 12:50 AM   #21
JayPeeDee
Gone for a bit

Likes (Received): 4473

Liking this a lot. Really hoping a certain event in 2019 doesn't derail everything.

Kingsheathen liked this post
JayPeeDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 8th, 2017, 12:57 AM   #22
joshwebb
User Registered

Likes (Received): 783

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPeeDee View Post
Liking this a lot. Really hoping a certain event in 2019 doesn't derail everything.
What event?

Brum X liked this post
joshwebb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 01:11 AM   #23
Force_alfa

Likes (Received): 527

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshwebb View Post
What event?
Brexit probably

Force_alfa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 01:15 AM   #24
JayPeeDee
Gone for a bit

Likes (Received): 4473

Indeed.

On the flip side, perhaps the combination of HS2 and Brexit-induced fleeing from London will boost Birmingham beyond all recognition...
JayPeeDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 01:27 AM   #25
BhamBadger

Likes (Received): 1600

Realistically, If Brexit is an abysmal time, banks will want to be European based with a UK subsiduary.

Logic dictates, why on earth would they want this small company to be in a horifically expensive location.
With HS2, you can have a cheaper location which is effectively closer to central London than central London.

Could be a small blessing.

rotundazag liked this post
BhamBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 02:08 AM   #26
nigeman

Likes (Received): 2200

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
City centre is really going to see huge changes in the next few years!!

I've been adding the amount of homes proposals (and starts) these last two years on the back of a packet of fags, if you include Ickneild and Soho loops, I estimate we are now approaching 18 to 20.000 new homes in the wider city centre.
That "genuine" vibrant 24 hour city is not too far away!

Dying Duck liked this post
nigeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 08:49 AM   #27
Kingsheathen
Kingsheathen

Likes (Received): 2138

I like the look of this scheme but I'd always hoped this plot of land would become another Brindley Place type development with bars and restaurants along both sides of the canal. The city desperately needs a lot more Brindley Place, leisure lead areas.

The bars and restaurants need to be built before or at the same time as the residential. Otherwise the new residents are likely to object when a bar tries to open up.

Bear Would Ian liked this post
Kingsheathen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 10:03 AM   #28
Bureau des etrangers
Jersey's finest

Likes (Received): 3694

I think we'd all love to see more vibrant areas like BrindleyPlace. Not quite sure if this would be the right area though. Then again, such a short walk to the snow hill area and then all the student blocks further down the canal there would be potential for quite a vibrant bar and restaurant scene.

Like you said though, great to see the canals becoming more considered.

nigeman liked this post
Bureau des etrangers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 10:07 AM   #29
Mosleyan

Likes (Received): 4475

And don't forget about Jewellery quarter, with St Paul's square and Ludgate Hill being just a stone's throw from there, and more new restaurants and bars are coming to that area all the time, so it's slowly all coming together I think

Mosleyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 11:12 AM   #30
create streets

Likes (Received): 999

Quote:
More than 400 new apartments are planned for the site of former warehousing in Birmingham’s historic Gun Quarter.

Developers Berkeley and St Joseph has submitted plans to Birmingham City Council for the new development, which would occupy the site of the FGF warehouses in Shadwell Street.

The scheme, dubbed Snow Hill Wharf – partly because it backs on to the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal, would see the demolition of the warehousing and their replacement with five residential blocks, ranging from three to 21-storeys, encompassing 404 one, two and three-bedroom apartments.

The tower aspect of the scheme would be around 65m high.

The development would also provide 1,770sqm of private open space and 2,483sqm of communal gardens. There would also be a residents lounge, a large gym and parking space for 147 cars.

The developer has pledged that the scheme will support the council’s goal of achieving an energy efficient, low-carbon, sustainable development that will enhance this part of the city centre.

The developer said the scheme represented an opportunity to “redevelop this low quality industrial site in order to improve the local environment, provide much needed high quality city centre housing and kickstart the regeneration of (the) historic Gun Quarter”.

The Gun Quarter is identified as an area of regeneration within Birmingham’s Big City Masterplan.

The plans come just a week after developers unveiled proposals for a massive new student accommodation complex close to Lancaster Circus – just a stone’s throw away from the site of the latest scheme.
http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/westm...Nov_2017_Daily

Last edited by 1874; November 8th, 2017 at 11:19 AM.
1874 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 11:18 AM   #31
create streets

Likes (Received): 999

Last edited by 1874; November 8th, 2017 at 11:58 AM.
1874 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 11:29 AM   #32
Kingsheathen
Kingsheathen

Likes (Received): 2138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureau des etrangers View Post
I think we'd all love to see more vibrant areas like BrindleyPlace. Not quite sure if this would be the right area though. Then again, such a short walk to the snow hill area and then all the student blocks further down the canal there would be potential for quite a vibrant bar and restaurant scene.

Like you said though, great to see the canals becoming more considered.

This would be the best available area for it in my opinion.

It's near the Snow Hill commercial area so plenty of people could go to the bars and restaurants during their lunch breaks. Also the commercial area means hotels could survive here.

It's near the Jewellery Quarter, Hockey and student residential areas so there should be enough people to visit the bars and restaurants in the evenings and weekends.

It's position on the canal means boats will visit the area. As well as bringing more customers the boats also make the area look more attractive to tourists.

St Chad's should be one of Birmingham's main tourists attractions but because of its unpleasant surroundings most people don't even notice it. It could be integrated with a Brindley Place style development which would appeal to tourists.

There are already bars and restaurants nearby in the Jewellery Quarter and the Gun Quarter. Additional bars would give this area more of a 'pull' turning it into a destination.

This proposed development looks good though.

rotundazag, Bear Would Ian liked this post
Kingsheathen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 11:30 AM   #33
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1018

great to see the new visuals.. I think hey really sell the scheme and yet again, great to see development long our much abandoned lengths of canal!

ive known about this scheme for quite a few months and have always struggled with how incoherent the design appears to be, but it has really grown on me an I really like the design of the tower!

Dying Duck liked this post
woodhousen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 12:16 PM   #34
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 14856

The D&A Statement has now been uploaded onto the BCC portal you can view it here

https://eplanning.birmingham.gov.uk/...m/Menus/PL.xml

Along with the new visuals posted above, here are two more found on the D&A Statement

I'll get the first post edited with all the new visuals so they don't get lost when this fully kicks off!! Looking forward to it, the area needs this.

EDIT: Just seen the edited post above!

Kingsheathen, Dying Duck liked this post
ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 01:28 PM   #35
SMUK86

Likes (Received): 1372

It looks great and much needed for the area, let’s just hope this is what we actually see built and it is not significantly amended and watered down appearance wise like Connaught Square.
SMUK86 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 02:34 PM   #36
Mosleyan

Likes (Received): 4475

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUK86 View Post
It looks great and much needed for the area, let’s just hope this is what we actually see built and it is not significantly amended and watered down appearance wise like Connaught Square.
Watered down? I think the revised scheme is much better, more and better public space, taller tower, what more could you ask for?

Anyway, I love the look of this development, hope to see progress on site very soon. I agree that St Chads should definitely be more of a destination than it currently is. I'm confident that this will all slowly happen with the (partial?) pedestrianisation of Great Charles St as per Snowhill Masterplan. Also I've always thought that Constitution Hill has a lot of potential for bars/coffee shops but at this moment it's mostly filled with cheap phone repair shops. I hope that will change.
Old November 8th, 2017, 03:20 PM   #37
Force_alfa

Likes (Received): 527

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosleyan View Post
Watered down? I think the revised scheme is much better, more and better public space, taller tower, what more could you ask for?

Anyway, I love the look of this development, hope to see progress on site very soon. I agree that St Chads should definitely be more of a destination than it currently is. I'm confident that this will all slowly happen with the (partial?) pedestrianisation of Great Charles St as per Snowhill Masterplan. Also I've always thought that Constitution Hill has a lot of potential for bars/coffee shops but at this moment it's mostly filled with cheap phone repair shops. I hope that will change.
Totaly agree regarding Constitution Hill, the majority of buildings are really nice, if the clean them up and made them into apartments & offices, then this area will looking brillant.

Kingsheathen, ReissOmari liked this post
Force_alfa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 03:42 PM   #38
citywatcher01

Likes (Received): 535

Its a shame it doesn't open up the canal side on the Snowhill side, perhaps with some moorings/floating walkway. I appreciate the security issues and the desire to make the site a secure space.

However, smart development and great to see this area getting developed

citywatcher01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 04:44 PM   #39
SMUK86

Likes (Received): 1372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosleyan View Post
The older renders looked substantially better externally than the current design...having a slightly taller tower is nothing to do with aesthetics.

daniboy173 liked this post
SMUK86 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 05:26 PM   #40
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 14856

The only problem I have with this scheme is the lack of Retail, this is no fault of the developer though as in the D&A Statement it states that BCC asked for a residential development with no commercial elements.. A little strange, Tesco Express, Sainsbury's Local or even a M&S Simply Food would make a killing around here with this development, along with all the student developments going up. Even a Starbucks or Costa would be great around here, convert an older building and you have it!

It's the same with the St George's and Kettleworks developments, difference is there is a huge Tesco supermarket across the road.

ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement