Tyne and Wear Metro - Page 317 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old September 18th, 2019, 07:37 PM   #6321
DemoManz

Likes (Received): 61

Nothing is decided yet. Official announcement isn't until January.

Andym liked this post
DemoManz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2019, 08:04 PM   #6322
Godscrasher

Likes (Received): 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Redemption View Post
I think im entitled to my own opinion Godscrasher as are you. If however but if you want to attack me at a personal level keep your opinion to yourself because you know nothing of me so if I am misinformed then so are you making judgements about myself!
In my second post I wasn't replying to you so please stop reading into things and yes you're welcome to your opinion. I look forward to reading more of them.

Newcastle Historian liked this post
Godscrasher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2019, 08:08 PM   #6323
Godscrasher

Likes (Received): 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
I think it is a shame that we arenít using a company who would use local workers. I know someone who works for them at their Doncaster facility, the bid is UK generated and all of the bid was for UK work, with it being heavily dependant on the Newton Aycliff manufacturing site.

I understand that we need the best bid to win, however if it was just down to price, then would it not have been possible to work with the local supplier more? Also, itís fine saying we build them in Spain, but itís very likely that before any trains are delivered, we will be facing leaving the EU, possibly with a no deal, will that same bid then be as competitive?
Yes it's a shame, but Nexus have got the most from their money from their proffered bidder, which I'm more than happy with whether it's going to someone down the road or on the other side of the world. They should have tried harder and delivered a better proposal.

Hypothetically speaking though because we have fair competition should the likes of Hitachi (because they're based in this region) give back contracts to european clients as a swap for local ones? If Hitachi were that good at what they done and were able to provide a winning bid for every contract, they'd be building more assembly plants than they have now. The matter of the fact is they're not and it's the state of their own business, not the likes of Nexus going for a local bidder, that needs to get into shape.
Godscrasher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2019, 09:44 PM   #6324
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 787

Itís just an ideal thing. It certainly would be ideal for us to buy/built local, even if it is just putting together some Lego blocks, so to speak.
Itís very much like how Iíd rather NUFC had Geordie superstar players running around winning them things, instead of players with no real affiliation to the area struggling to stay in the Premier League.
Itís also how in an ideal world I should probably buy a Nissan car (well have public transport viable enough not to need a car), however Iím much more likely to get a German made Mercedes again.

I think also you have to remember that locally we have been let down with the closing of British Steel in Teesside, and Nissan is likely to suffer job losses when Brexit hits. So you can also identify why people are wanting to keep as many jobs as possible.
I can understand how ordinarily we canít really say you have to buy local, but when you consider that we are are in a poor region in the UK, and one of the poorest in Western Europe, with few private sector skilled jobs, you can understand why people would want to buy local and protect those jobs. This is also greatly inflated when you also consider that this region was the birth place of railways, and right now we only have 1 manufacturing/assembly plant.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2019, 09:07 PM   #6325
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 3833

Pelaw metro station, land adjacent station - pictures 28/09/19

In recent weeks when using the metro have noticed a "recent" change in the embankment area adjacent Pelaw Station

When changing trains on Friday 27/09/19 AM and with time to spare left the platform area and took pictures of the area of land that abuts the station where work has been carried out

Screen print of Google Maps image showing the area in question

Screen print of Google Maps Street View image of the area, from 2012

My 27/09/19 approx 0850 pictures showing the current situation - removal of trees etc, new steel palisade fencing and great deal of built up ground

From checking the planning application documents for the adjacent small new build housing scheme a few years ago this area of land is owned by the metro

Has anyone got information about what is to happen - nothing to be seen on Gateshead Planning Portal about the works

Images hosted on Post image site

KEN

Last edited by Ken O'Heed; September 29th, 2019 at 09:16 PM.
Ken O'Heed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2019, 10:38 PM   #6326
petech

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken O'Heed View Post
Has anyone got information about what is to happen - nothing to be seen on Gateshead Planning Portal about the works
As far as I know it was just being used as a distribution site for ballast when the track around Stadium/Felling was being renewed earlier in the summer.

There was a sizable mountain of ballast on that site at the start of works.

Ken O'Heed liked this post
petech no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2019, 11:49 PM   #6327
Talisker
dE/dm

Likes (Received): 576

Haymarket station is a complete mess these days. Only one escalator running out of three and still no displays.
Old October 5th, 2019, 06:07 PM   #6328
Aylett 67

Likes (Received): 658

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
Itís just an ideal thing. It certainly would be ideal for us to buy/built local, even if it is just putting together some Lego blocks, so to speak.
Itís very much like how Iíd rather NUFC had Geordie superstar players running around winning them things, instead of players with no real affiliation to the area struggling to stay in the Premier League.
Itís also how in an ideal world I should probably buy a Nissan car (well have public transport viable enough not to need a car), however Iím much more likely to get a German made Mercedes again.

I think also you have to remember that locally we have been let down with the closing of British Steel in Teesside, and Nissan is likely to suffer job losses when Brexit hits. So you can also identify why people are wanting to keep as many jobs as possible.
I can understand how ordinarily we canít really say you have to buy local, but when you consider that we are are in a poor region in the UK, and one of the poorest in Western Europe, with few private sector skilled jobs, you can understand why people would want to buy local and protect those jobs. This is also greatly inflated when you also consider that this region was the birth place of railways, and right now we only have 1 manufacturing/assembly plant.
Maybe Hitachi didn't offer the right price for the trains and Nexus went elsewhere. The days are gone when British Rail had its own factories and could build what it needed, although even in the past, they always had trains supplied by outside firms if there wasn't capacity in their factories.
Aylett 67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2019, 05:41 PM   #6329
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Likes (Received): 4769

Metro Twitter Feed - Sunday 6th August 2019.

Quote:
Tyne and Wear Metro @My_Metro

Services between St James - North Shields will remain suspended for the rest of the day while we repair the overhead line that was damaged by fallen tree branches. Metro ticket acceptance on local buses will remain in place in the affected area. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2019, 05:36 PM   #6330
DemoManz

Likes (Received): 61

Where in Washington would the Metro go? Just the route of the Leamside line?

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/politics/council-could-protect-land-potential-extension-tyne-and-wear-metro-washinton-seaham-and-ferryhill-816043
DemoManz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2019, 06:57 PM   #6331
Northumbriana

Likes (Received): 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemoManz View Post

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/...rryhill-816043
Aye, it would never be worth the cost to construct tunnels or street running tracks on branch lines. But this won't be a metro extension, it will be heavy rail. Another article on that difficult to use website mentions Northern Connect being refused access to the ECML and maybe routing their express trains through Sunderland. It would seem like killing two birds with one stone if they could route their trains along a reopened Leamside line rather than mixing with the metro.

DemoManz liked this post
Northumbriana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2019, 09:13 PM   #6332
No Opinion

Likes (Received): 936

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemoManz View Post

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/...rryhill-816043
Drivel from Sunderland as usual.

Sunderland is too small to need a metro system.

Washington is not designed for rail at all.

Leamside line should be heavy rail to take capacity off ECML.

Sunderland needs a heavy rail spur from the ECML/Leamside line and then over the South Hylton line so it's only rail connection isn't via a meandering hour long uncertified Durham Coast line.

The metro is not a regional rail line. It is a medium-light urban railway designed to link parts of the same metropolitan region with a frequent and efficient service for people living in a city. Ferryhill needs a heavy rail station with a stopping service that would take 20-30mins to get to Newcastle, the capital of the region, not a stopping metro that would take an hour to get to Sunderland.

Andym liked this post
No Opinion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 11:23 AM   #6333
Northumbriana

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Opinion View Post
Drivel from Sunderland as usual.

Sunderland is too small to need a metro system.

Washington is not designed for rail at all.

Leamside line should be heavy rail to take capacity off ECML.

Sunderland needs a heavy rail spur from the ECML/Leamside line and then over the South Hylton line so it's only rail connection isn't via a meandering hour long uncertified Durham Coast line.

The metro is not a regional rail line. It is a medium-light urban railway designed to link parts of the same metropolitan region with a frequent and efficient service for people living in a city. Ferryhill needs a heavy rail station with a stopping service that would take 20-30mins to get to Newcastle, the capital of the region, not a stopping metro that would take an hour to get to Sunderland.
Washington would probably be as well served as it ever can be with a station at Birtley on the ECML along with the Leamside line station. You're right, such places were built specifically for the car driving commuters. You just have to look at how a town was built specifically and inconveniently in between two railway lines rather than centred around one of them. Just like Killingworth as another example.

Personally I think in this day and age allowing such a big population to be inaccessible to rail should be unacceptable and long term there should be a plan in place to draw people back into metropolitan boundaries where metro becomes much more viable.

As things stand I'd say the only existing railway lines that maybe suitable for a metro service is the ECML from Heaton to Forest Hall and from Newcastle/Gateshead to Blaydon. Stopping heavy rail trains within that area should be unnecessary.
Old October 21st, 2019, 11:40 AM   #6334
No Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northumbriana View Post
Washington would probably be as well served as it ever can be with a station at Birtley on the ECML along with the Leamside line station. You're right, such places were built specifically for the car driving commuters. You just have to look at how a town was built specifically and inconveniently in between two railway lines rather than centred around one of them. Just like Killingworth as another example.

Personally I think in this day and age allowing such a big population to be inaccessible to rail should be unacceptable and long term there should be a plan in place to draw people back into metropolitan boundaries where metro becomes much more viable.

As things stand I'd say the only existing railway lines that maybe suitable for a metro service is the ECML from Heaton to Forest Hall and from Newcastle/Gateshead to Blaydon. Stopping heavy rail trains within that area should be unnecessary.
If the metro is 'medium/light' rail then its future is expansion rather than over 'heavy' rail should instead be into the world of 'very light indeed rail'... trams.

If the ECML is four tracked North out of Central then our much discussed North East commuter rail can scoop up that need, same if the Tyne Valley line is electrified (as a matter of national significance to allow EC/WCML interchangeability.

The only place I could think of where a new Metro service could be shared alongside heavy rail would be across a shared 'King's Meadow' bridge for Tyne Valley/Metro Centre service across the Tyne West of Redheugh.

This tram would be from the West End,
via Helix and St. James, down SJB to Central,
across from Central past Forth Goods new development,
over the bridge to Metro Centre,
back along the now redundant spur from Metro to Bensham,
Gateshead Town Centre,
down to Gateshead Quays,
across Swing Bridge,
up Forth Banks,
past Central and terminate at SJB, where the space infront of Discovery could be used as a tram interchange
Old October 21st, 2019, 12:03 PM   #6335
petech

Likes (Received): 9

One thought about Washington, with it being a town designed around the car I wonder if a "parkway" style station on a re-opened Leamside route would work there? There's plenty of space for a station with a large car park.
petech no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 12:33 PM   #6336
Northumbriana

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Opinion View Post
If the metro is 'medium/light' rail then its future is expansion rather than over 'heavy' rail should instead be into the world of 'very light indeed rail'... trams.

If the ECML is four tracked North out of Central then our much discussed North East commuter rail can scoop up that need, same if the Tyne Valley line is electrified (as a matter of national significance to allow EC/WCML interchangeability.

The only place I could think of where a new Metro service could be shared alongside heavy rail would be across a shared 'King's Meadow' bridge for Tyne Valley/Metro Centre service across the Tyne West of Redheugh.

This tram would be from the West End,
via Helix and St. James, down SJB to Central,
across from Central past Forth Goods new development,
over the bridge to Metro Centre,
back along the now redundant spur from Metro to Bensham,
Gateshead Town Centre,
down to Gateshead Quays,
across Swing Bridge,
up Forth Banks,
past Central and terminate at SJB, where the space infront of Discovery could be used as a tram interchange
I like the idea of a light rail circle connecting Newcastle and Gateshead centres and metro stations. Acting as a feeder and a way to spread out passengers beyond the limits of the metro and heavy rail to places like Blaydon, the West End, Metro Centre, Team Valley and the Quayside. I'd just extend that St James line to Monument to make it a metro/tram/bus hub.

That heavy rail service into Central via Scotswood would need to be a terminating service I think. I guess two stopping trains per hour from Newcastle to Hexham from platforms 11-12, two stoppers per hour from Metro Centre - Dunston - Central platforms 7-8 and onto the Durham coast. That or find some way of getting a Scotswood line under the ECML just before central and/or connect Hexham trains onto the Blyth & Tyne line through the main platforms at central.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petech View Post
One thought about Washington, with it being a town designed around the car I wonder if a "parkway" style station on a re-opened Leamside route would work there? There's plenty of space for a station with a large car park.
That's actually part of the 'Tyne Tees Express' proposals. There would be a Washington parkway and Washington station.
Old October 21st, 2019, 12:38 PM   #6337
No Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by petech View Post
It's certainly possible and should really be proposed.

The trouble with Washington is that any kind of 'centre' is very distant from the railway. The town is encircled by railways along its periphery only.

Other New towns like Cramlington and Killingworth actually have a rail line reasonably close to their centre and so is feasible to have a heavy rail station.
Old October 22nd, 2019, 07:34 AM   #6338
greenbird_crwx

Likes (Received): 44

But isn't the most important that a reservation for railtrack is created? Certainly some kind of S-bahn would be better further out. Btw, the new rolling stock is supposed to be dual-voltage isn't it?
greenbird_crwx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2019, 10:19 AM   #6339
greenbird_crwx

Likes (Received): 44

Btw, have this map of population density been posted before?

https://www.plumplot.co.uk/Newcastle...opulation.html

DemoManz, Godscrasher liked this post

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; October 22nd, 2019 at 11:27 AM. Reason: corrected link
greenbird_crwx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2019, 04:29 PM   #6340
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Likes (Received): 4769

Old South Shields Metro Station

These snaps of the ongoing demolition of South Shields Metro Station taken 3rd November 2019:

http://GeordiePhotographs.fototime.com/South%20Shields

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

novonew47 liked this post
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bart, light rail, light railways, london tube, london underground, metro, metro systems, newcastle, newcastle transport, paris metro, rail, railways, the tube, trains, transport, tube, tyne & wear metro, underground