General Brisbane Retail Thread - Page 40 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Queensland > Everything else

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 18th, 2014, 10:58 AM   #781
bribri

Likes (Received): 2105

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJBrissy View Post
I think it'll be Pie Face
I hope so, it'll compliment the one just across the road. Such a wonderful sense of symmetry
bribri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2014, 03:15 PM   #782
BrizzyChris

Likes (Received): 1252

Quote:
I think it'll be Pie Face
A Pie Face/Coffee Club flagship national concept store over 3 levels. Imagine that.
BrizzyChris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 02:16 AM   #783
nathandavid88

Likes (Received): 12576

Perish the thought!

Good to see that they are finally doing this revamp though. There have been a lot of tenancies sitting empty for far too long. It really wasn't a good look.
nathandavid88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2014, 05:51 AM   #784
michael_n_

Likes (Received): 1094

Ok some speculation news like to hear anyone's else's views.

Guess closed their Brisbane store, but they kept their store open at Brisbane Airport. Rod and Gunn will take their place. So wondering if Bally will go there or is it that Lorna Jane thing ?

What might go in Dogstar? Camper look like opening again next year but where, however, I am wondering if the Armani store at Indooroopilly has been canned.

No replacements in Queens Plaza except Just Jeans

Any thoughts, can't do much about it but would like to keep Lee, Dinosaur Designs etc, but what can one do about Wintergarden I don't know.
michael_n_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2014, 08:18 AM   #785
nathandavid88

Sorry to disappoint, but unless Lorna Jane goes belly up in near future, their moving into that Wintergarden spot is practically assured. Interesting to hear about Just Jeans moving into QueensPlaza. They went down stairs on the foodcourt level I assume/hope.

The old Dogstar tenancy is a very awkward layout, being essentially an "inverted L", and I reckon that is the reason it hasn't been leased let (as far as I know at least). They'll need a very flexible tenant that doesn't have major space requirements to get that site leased.

Honestly, I don't see anything major happening with the Wintergarden anytime soon. ISPT need to start concentrating on Broadway on the Mall ASAP. It's become a hideous scar on the Mall and needs to be fixed yesterday! I'll actually go beyond that and say that I think that, apart from stuff already in the works like Cartier, Burberry, Paspaley, etc, any major changes to the current makeup of the mall will revolve around the stretch between George Street and Albert Street. We will have major vacancies not only in the Queen Adelaide Building, but also in the building that the Pure Health Club moving out of it. Add to that the new Forever 21 opening in Lennons, and I'm expecting to see a bit of a revival of the southern end of the mall.

As for Armani being canned in Indooroopilly, what gives you that idea? It's still being advertised as opening soon on the Indooroopilly website last I checked.
Old May 21st, 2014, 08:33 AM   #786
michael_n_

Thanks for info Nathan. No not disappointed LJ can do what she wants. It is disappointing but not surprising Guess did not work,but they have an airport store, it's more WTF was wrong the Wintergarden looked like a brilliant idea but seems to work for only some retailers such as Rockport, FCUK, but not Camper and others. These things happen there are a number of factors but but still to lose retailers that are down south is not good. Just Jeans has gone where Isabella's Passions was. As before Camper may look at Garden City, but Armani yeah I misread and there was a seek position for it.

I really hope Broadway is sooner rather than later, but in this climate cannot rush I suppose.

Thanks for your opinon Nathan.
Old May 30th, 2014, 02:09 AM   #787
PeterJackson

Likes (Received): 6985

Looks like ZARA will open their first store in QLD at the Gold Coast,nothing formal though

http://www.seek.com.au/job/26574823

http://www.seek.com.au/job/26469456

Last edited by PeterJackson; May 30th, 2014 at 02:15 AM.
PeterJackson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 02:28 AM   #788
nathandavid88

Going into Pacific Fair I would assume.
Old June 5th, 2014, 06:19 AM   #789
nathandavid88

A few updates from the not-so-high end retail areas on Queen Street. Starting off with what has become a little bit of an obsession of mine at the moment (as you may have noticed) – the Queen Adelaide Building.

After my last update about what appeared to be painting of the columns in the old Crazy Clarks tenancy down stairs, I was rather surprised to notice that they've been ripping apart the plaster work around the columns, to the extent that one of the cast iron columns appears to have been revealed.

May 12:

May 31:

Note the concrete-covered round column:

No major changes to the Suncorp or Allan's tenancies that I could see, but I'm of the opinion that they wouldn't be doing this kind of work for no reason, so something must be on the horizon for the QAB. Watch this space:

In other news, it looked like some scaffolding was being removed from behind Lennon's dust shield! ...or it may have always been like that and I've never noticed.

The view of the old Cafe East site is something like this:

Work on the new Suncorp branch on Albert Street appears to have started. Much exciting... very wooooo...

And moving away from Queen Street for a moment, here are some progress shots for 215 Adelaide Street, taken from Post Office Square. Forgive the crooked second one, I was taking them above my head!

Finally, not so much an update but what I'm calling the waste of floorspace award, I give you 86 Queen Street, the former Palings Building (the blue one).

Burnett Lane frontage:

At the moment, this building has a basement tourist trap shop and rag trader Temp at the floor level, but as far as I can tell, the upper levels are vacant or, at best, store rooms. There are three upper levels on the Queen Street side, and more facing Burnett Lane. This building could easily hold a Zara or similar with minimal changes – it was originally designed as a building for a single tenant – but instead we get a tourist trap and suburban rag trader.

There is some hope though – Temp are moving out and the small 223m2 tenancy is up on realcommercial. Maybe a deal will be struck for a bit more than just the ground floor?

KJBrissy, fish.01 liked this post
Old June 5th, 2014, 06:24 AM   #790
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 5226

The Next Hotel symbol is now on the NE face of the tower. must be getting close!

nathandavid88 liked this post
KJBrissy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 07:38 AM   #791
PeterJackson

ALDO is gone, im not sure if they are relocating to a new store or just closed down.not a good sign, it was one of the busiest stores in QSM
Old June 5th, 2014, 08:10 AM   #792
nathandavid88

Aldo, they were in the old T&G building, right? Maybe they are looking for cheaper digs in the Myer Centre or something?

Edit: I wonder whether they might be moving into 155 Queen Street, where Lorna Jane is currently?
Old June 5th, 2014, 09:16 AM   #793
bribri

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJackson View Post
ALDO is gone, im not sure if they are relocating to a new store or just closed down.not a good sign, it was one of the busiest stores in QSM
I noticed that too.
I also had a look at the Myer windows as I strolled by and couldn't help but think that it would be good if they gave up direct mall frontage to allow some shop fronts along the mall.
David Jones don't seem to need shop front windows on the mall and neither should Myer.
Old June 5th, 2014, 09:32 AM   #794
nathandavid88

The difference though is that the David Jones entrance retains a straight line of site from the Mall through the large QueensPlaza entrance. Removing the Myer entrance would mean that the only entrances are through the convoluted layout of the Myer Centre itself, and none of those entrances are visible from out in the mall. I think removing the Mall entrance would actually have a considerable detrimental impact on the store.
Old June 5th, 2014, 10:03 AM   #795
bribri

Not removing the mall entrance, just the shop windows and associated space to other retailers.
It would mean a reduction in the Myer space on that floor though but I think it would be better all round.
Old June 5th, 2014, 01:48 PM   #796
PeterJackson

Quote:
The Next Hotel symbol is now on the NE face of the tower. must be getting close!
couldn't get much closer
[IMG]http://i61.************/mud2e8.jpg[/IMG]

nathandavid88 liked this post
Old June 11th, 2014, 03:27 AM   #797
nathandavid88

The Aldo site has gone up on Realcommercial, so it doesn't look like QIC bumped them or anything. Either they weren't making money, or they are moving to greener pastures. Maybe they're looking for a store larger than 85m2?
Old June 12th, 2014, 03:21 AM   #798
michael_n_

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathandavid88 View Post
The Aldo site has gone up on Realcommercial, so it doesn't look like QIC bumped them or anything. Either they weren't making money, or they are moving to greener pastures. Maybe they're looking for a store larger than 85m2?
I'm not sure about 'making money' as they were there a long time, I brought a couple of things from them, reasonable quality shoes and accessories, but perhaps like Guess the T & G area is for crappy things not name brands, with cosmetics, chemists, mobile phones and banking more suited.

We've lost Birkenstock, Camper and Aldo so things are not good for shoes in Brisbane city. Aldo is owned by the same people who own Guess in Australia, although there is a large full Guess store at Robina, 2 accessory stores on the Coast and an accessories at Brisbane Airport so no big deal. But they have turned to more women's wear these days. Perhaps you are right Nathan and they are looking for larger that T & G cannot offer.

But I just wonder anyone's opinion with shopping in the city in 2014, aside from the luxury stores which have lasted, people just do not seem as interested in the stores, the rents are high in the Mall, or is it that so many people have left the city area because of job losses, or even shop online? Whilst I can't do anything about it, I still hope we keep Rockport and a couple of other stores, but maybe people want to go to shopping centres instead. That's why it's good to see Oxford, Calibre and others going to Indoor & GC. Gives them a chance to survive in the Brisbane market.

Also be interesting to see if retail can expand in years to come in the tight Brisbane CBD area, say if 111 or 222 got up if people would bother going down that far in the city to shop. Maybe the future is in Brisbane unlike Sydney and Melbourne, aside from Broadway, for shopping in the suburbs. Interested in anyone's opinion. Down there their shopping centres are based around hubs like Chatswood and North Sydney.
Old June 12th, 2014, 10:11 AM   #799
jonwil

Likes (Received): 1370

I for one like going into the CBD for shopping (there are a few retailers I wish the CBD had but that it doesn't have but other than that, its still very good, far better than the retail mix in the Perth CBD anyway) and hope it remains vibrant.
The CBD also has the advantage of being easy for me to get to compared to most of the major shopping centers.
jonwil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 10:30 AM   #800
bribri

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
I for one like going into the CBD for shopping (there are a few retailers I wish the CBD had but that it doesn't have but other than that, its still very good, far better than the retail mix in the Perth CBD anyway) and hope it remains vibrant.
The CBD also has the advantage of being easy for me to get to compared to most of the major shopping centers.
I have lived in Teneriffe for almost 20 years and the CBD is my shopping centre. I can't recall the last time I entered a suburban centre.
With the growing inner-city population from more apartment developments the CBD should continue to do well and prosper. Public transport into the CBD is easy (but could be made easier) and you would have to be mad to pay $40 plus to park your car and shop there. The romantic in me would love to see light rail though but the pragmatist knows this in unlikely.

SoulvisionQ1 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
extension, mandurahboyz, redevelopment, shopping