2030 FIFA WC - Potential bids - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 28th, 2015, 01:51 PM   #61
Good Karma
Live and let live

Likes (Received): 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvjmarcomatheus View Post
After Brazil, Russia and South African

CHINA and INDIA really deserves do a World Cup.

Its time to back to England...anyway...

But my personal taste, i will love a WC in Bolivia/Peru or Peru/Equador
Why exactly?? Just because they are big countries doesn't mean they are deserving. They have made no mark on World football.
Good Karma no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2015, 03:45 PM   #62
carlosfng

Likes (Received): 628

Neither did the US in 94, nor Japan or Korea in 2002, nor South Africa in 2010. So let's face it, exotic countries hosting WCs will continue to happen. And probably one or two editions after 2030 China or India will host.

2030 will be a traditional year though, I bet. And I sense that the main bids will be a European (UK) and a South American (Uruguay-Argentina), fully supported by their respective continents. CONCACAF probably will host in 2026 so it might support their southern neighbors. And Asia/Africa might choose a side or present a third option that probably wont win (even if Africa could very well argue they could use a WC again). Probably the UK will win... but with FIFA, who knows...
carlosfng no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2015, 03:51 PM   #63
carlosfng

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
The costs have gone up because the standards for construction have improved (and rightly so) and because the event is larger and typically involves more venues. Especially as they offer it to nations with less established infrastructure.

They could easily hop around the same 4-8 countries already fully capable of hosting, but that would not only be boring but it would mean home-field advantages for established football powers. If the ideal is to share the wealth, as it were, FIFA can either sit around waiting for the likes of South Africa to build or try to be the impetus for advancement. Personally I don't mind them seeking the latter, as it's still possible for host nations to host the games without going bankrupt.

But, yes, that's putting a lot of faith in humanity on my part considering these political times!
I understand what you mean, that the WC naturally will keep growing as an event, and that it obviously will be boring and unfair if only the fully capable host. But then all the more reason for FIFA to be willing to give more of a helping hand to said developing nations that do get picked; as well as being more strict with host selection and timeline fulfillment and etc... But meh, maybe I too put too much faith in humanity...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2015, 08:22 PM   #64
Good Karma
Live and let live

Likes (Received): 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosfng View Post
Neither did the US in 94, nor Japan or Korea in 2002, nor South Africa in 2010. So let's face it, exotic countries hosting WCs will continue to happen. And probably one or two editions after 2030 China or India will host...
Those countries you mentioned had more of role within their own confederations and were competitive. China and India are almost non existent even in their own confederation.
Good Karma no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2015, 08:40 PM   #65
That London Fella

Likes (Received): 26

Aren't argentinas stadiums mostly still standing? I would hate to see la bombanera become an all seater stadium, would completely destroy it.
That London Fella no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2015, 09:01 PM   #66
Kot Bazilio

Likes (Received): 3138

Definitely must be in England (UK). 100 years anniversary
Kot Bazilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2015, 10:57 PM   #67
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister

Likes (Received): 2967

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvjmarcomatheus View Post
After Brazil, Russia and South African

CHINA and INDIA really deserves do a World Cup.
India? WTF, #173 FIFA world ranking
GEwinnen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 04:32 PM   #68
Kot Bazilio

Likes (Received): 3138

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEwinnen View Post
India? WTF, #173 FIFA world ranking
Since when the winner is determined by the success of the game?
South africa,russia, especially qatar bad in football too, but WC would be in this countries
Kot Bazilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 07:13 PM   #69
El Sampi

Likes (Received): 733

Se tiene que hacer en Uruguay !!!!

CarlosBlueDragon liked this post
El Sampi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 08:20 PM   #70
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister

Likes (Received): 2967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kot Bazilio View Post
Since when the winner is determined by the success of the game?
South africa,russia, especially qatar bad in football too, but WC would be in this countries
Awarding the WC to South Africa was a politically decision, Russia is ranked #33 -not too bad, I guess you know how Qatar got the World Cup.........

Kot Bazilio liked this post
GEwinnen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2015, 06:01 AM   #71
Alanzeh

Likes (Received): 289

Turkey won't do a bid to try to host it?
It would be so much better than an hypothetical Chile, or Uruguay (impossible) or ASEAN (!!!!) bid. I also loved the Belgium/Netherlands bid (Portugal and Spain also wasn`t bad at all). I wish they just make another one to 2026/2030.
And an UK bid would also be cool, The host stadiums for me would be
Wembley
Old Trafford
Millenium Stadium
Emirates Stadium or Stamford Bridge (renovated) or New Tottenham Stadium
Hampden Park
Ibrox or Parkhead
St. James Park
Hillsborough (expansion)
Elliand Road
An Northern Ireland stadium
"It's rather naive to speak about other men's criminal actions. You just have not lived their situation.I think that under given circumstances I could also act in a way that I might usually condamm. That's the human fate: only on the limits we see how far humanity goes"
Haneke, MICHAEL
Alanzeh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2015, 08:22 AM   #72
dvjmarcomatheus

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Karma View Post
Why exactly?? Just because they are big countries doesn't mean they are deserving. They have made no mark on World football.
It's doens't matter if the country have a good team or not.

I think China and India can host amazing WC for these reasons.:

1 - China is the second most powerfull country in the world, second economy, money is not a problem. India have more problems with economy, but they have money anyway.

2 - China and India are potential markets to develop, both countries have more than billion of person each, they have I lot of big and modern cities as well.

3 - They are working to improve the national leagues. Famous players plays in the national leagues from China and India. The interest for soccer, have been growing year by year

4 - They have a ancient strong culture. And they will do a unforgettable and exotic WC.

Last edited by dvjmarcomatheus; March 30th, 2015 at 08:27 AM.
dvjmarcomatheus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2015, 03:57 PM   #73
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 5063

Realizing that such a joint bid is, for all intents a purposes, dead on arrival due to political machinations, there are still a couple of plot holes to be cleaned up:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanzeh View Post
And an UK bid would also be cool, The host stadiums for me would be
Wembley
Old Trafford
Millenium Stadium
Emirates Stadium or Stamford Bridge (renovated) or New Tottenham Stadium
Hampden Park
Ibrox or Parkhead
St. James Park
Hillsborough (expansion)
Elliand Road
An Northern Ireland stadium
A Stamford Bridge renovation isn't going to be selected over the Emirates due to congestion at the site and difficulty handling crowds in accordance with FIFA preferences. As it is Emirates is practically too urban for their tastes, as security protocols and space for special external events all-but-dictates each venue be surrounded by car parks. FIFA would make it work, but it's not their first choice. Thus, Stamford Bridge is all but out of the question as their site is more packed than the Emirates.

Meanwhile, assuming London gets two stadiums that means you can only have one in Glasgow. Thus, only one of Ibrox, Parkhead and Hamdpen get the nod. You could, however, add Murrayfield as representative of Edinburgh.

Lastly, I just don't see Belfast hosting anything for fear of what could happen, even if just polite protesting. It would simply be too messy for consideration because one side or the other will spin it all the wrong way and use it as an excuse to make unwanted noise.
Old March 30th, 2015, 04:15 PM   #74
Gavrosh

Likes (Received): 2087

The Olympic Stadium beats the Emirates all day long in terms of accessibility and iconic nature, and by that time it'll have been modified further and will likely be able to handle 75-80,000 crowds.
Gavrosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2015, 04:46 PM   #75
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Accessibility? Certainly. Iconic nature? I'll call that a push and am willing to bet the average person around the globe couldn't pick the venue out of an image line-up. To say nothing of how the renovations are altering the venue, and that as a footie venue it may be quite lacking given the imperfections of the seating structure. Similar case can be made for using Twickers, though I trust the FA will prefer to use member venues.

I'm not saying Emirates is a given at #2. Merely pointing out that Stamford Bridge won't be in the mix.
Old March 30th, 2015, 04:53 PM   #76
RobH

Likes (Received): 16855

What's with Arsenal fans coming into this thread disparaing the Olympic stadium?!
Old March 30th, 2015, 07:47 PM   #77
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

We're just another unruly lot out to scuttle West Ham's eventual conquering of the planet, but we couldn't sue West Ham or the Legacy Committee because that would've been unoriginal. So we're left with simple badmouthing, apparently.

It's a Gold and Sullivan world, after all, don't you know.
Old March 31st, 2015, 12:38 AM   #78
OnwardsAndUpwards

Likes (Received): 1105

Time will tell with the Olympic Stadium. Transport and setting are fantastic. If the atmosphere from the Olympics carries over it will sound good. The potential problems are the views from the seats and the view of the big gaps in the stands. If things go well and West Ham expand the capacity then it will be the obvious choice as 2nd London ground if we ever get a World Cup. Especially as it is the other side of the city to Wembley.

Alanzeh, carlosfng liked this post
OnwardsAndUpwards no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 01:47 AM   #79
carlosfng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Karma View Post
Those countries you mentioned had more of role within their own confederations and were competitive. China and India are almost non existent even in their own confederation.
I agree about Japan and South Korea, but not the others. South Africa wasn't (and sadly for them, still isn't) a competitive footballing nation, not even within their confederation; compare them to Cameroon, Ghana, Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Algeria or several other North/Central African countries. It was chosen as a host though because it could offer the best infrastructure and safety possible in the continent. It wouldn't have qualified for the WC otherwise. Similar case for the US, who although now they are competitive, before the 90s they barely ever went to a WC; even minuscule Central American countries like El Salvador qualified instead.

Thus, considering their huge economies and how their leagues are actually growing and being invested in, I think China and India will host a WC. Not a question of if, but when. Probably post-2030 though.

Someone mentioned Turkey... I had forgotten about them. They might try to bid, but idk if even their own confederation will fully support them. Who knows, it's a long time away...

Unrelatedly, I still wonder if FIFA will consider joint bids again. I remember after 2002 they were like "no way". Now they are like "maybe..."
Old March 31st, 2015, 03:12 AM   #80
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 11386

^when South Africa bid in 2000 (quite strongly, and only narrowly missed) for the 2006 World Cup they had been champions of Africa just 4 years previously, and had been at the World Cup that had just happened where they were very decent. 4 years later their bid for 2010 was successful, having in the meantime been present (and very decent) at another World Cup. When they won the bidding for 2002 in 1996, Japan and South Korea were lesser footballing nations, they were awarded the WC for how well they were expected to pull it off.

Africa is a massive continent with a lot of fairly strong and evenly matched footballing nations, so a country not being able to reach the top isn't necessarily because they are some insignificant minnows. For example, if you watched the last African Cup of Nations, the Ivory Coast hadn't won the tournament for longer than the time since South Africa last won it, which doesn't mean that Ivory Coast wasn't a competitive country in Africa. Same for Nigeria, while Ghana and Algeria still haven't won an ACN since the last time South Africa won it. That's not to say that South Africa is a top African footballing nation, but they aren't minnows either, they had sufficient pedigree by the necessary standards in the times when they were bidding for World Cups.

Last edited by alexandru.mircea; March 31st, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement