LOS ANGELES - 2028 Summer Olympic Games | Games of the XXXIV Olympiad - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity
 

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished


Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 17th, 2017, 11:43 PM   #41
Tommy Boy
MEGATALLS for AMERICA
 
Tommy Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 265
Likes (Received): 114

Wonder how LA will look like in 2028 when it comes to infrastructure and in the Downtown Skyline. Hopefully Good I Hope.
__________________
SUCKER FOR HEIGHTS, ROOF HEIGHTS. THATS WHAT MATTERS


http://www.twintowersalliance.com/images/Golden_Towers.png
Tommy Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old September 18th, 2017, 01:20 AM   #42
Kenni
Administrator
 
Kenni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Admin
Posts: 28,994

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB31 View Post


Wow every year LA is looking way more dry.

So guys, with the Mesure M in place normally how many new subways lines and streetcars lines will be operating by the time of the Games ?
It's summer time around here, and this summer was very HOT. Plus, we had record rain this past winter that left a lot of overgrowth that dried up. So it looks ver brown.

It's cooling down now tho.......just wonderful.


Watch this....this was just 4 months ago (set to the music of the motion picture "La La Land")

__________________

redspork02, CITYofDREAMS liked this post
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2017, 02:11 AM   #43
californiadreams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 655
Likes (Received): 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenni View Post
Watch this....this was just 4 months ago (set to the music of the motion picture "La La Land")
Some of the sites captured in that video didn't exist over 30 years ago, including landmarks like the Getty Museum and Disney Music Hall. Downtown was also in fairly weak shape back in 1984.

Flash forward to the future and there will be things that don't exist right now. Particularly a large museum sitting right next to the Coliseum sponsored by the creator of Star Wars.

The music in that video includes a portion with choral accompaniment. The sound of hundreds of voices singing together with a good score has been missing, or marginalized, at most recent Olympic ceremonies. Less surprising, therefore, that the games have also lost a sense of grandeur, specialness and charm.

Recent Olympics have made me think of people showing up to a wedding dressed in warm-up clothes or people attending a college graduation ceremony wearing flip flops, wife-beater shirts and cut-off pants.

I like that LA 2028 saluted the IOC's announcement a few days ago not by having a group of people in a town square - such as at that park created several years ago next to LA city hall - hooping and hollering but by having lights projected on various locations.

Celebrating at the LA County Fair is also a nice touch. Although I wouldn't want to see that somehow transferred into scenes of pick-up trucks and demonstrations of cow milking and pig raising at the opening of 2028 (I remain spooked by 1996).








__________________

aquamaroon, redspork02 liked this post
californiadreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old September 18th, 2017, 05:32 AM   #44
aquamaroon
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de Los Ángeles
Posts: 3,306
Likes (Received): 7122

Thanks for the vids Californiadreams!

President Bach was in town today to light the cauldron at the Coliseum for the Rams game. From the LA2028 twitter page:







After the game they're capping off the trip with a visit to the Emmy's tonight at the Microsoft Theater, which will host weightlifting in 2028.

And one last shot of an LA landmark getting lit up for the Olympic. Randy's Donuts in Inglewood got in on the action!:


https://twitter.com/AngelaRuggiero/s...51804494974976
__________________
aquamaroon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2017, 05:56 AM   #45
californiadreams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 655
Likes (Received): 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamaroon View Post
Thanks for the vids Californiadreams!

President Bach was in town today to light the cauldron at the Coliseum for the Rams game. From the LA2028 twitter page:
Thanks for the pics, aquamaroon.

I notice Rafer Johnson was there along with, of course, Stan Kroenke.

I saw your post in the thread about the Coliseum and I'm a bit torked at the attendance for the Rams not being similar to yesterday's USC game.

In a way since the Olympics are supposed to be about amateur athletics, maybe LA28 should have had Bach at that game, not the one today.

Regardless, any major sports franchise or activity - pro or amateur - that doesn't do well in LA reflects poorly on the region.

In general, think of last year's Olympics with many spectators often dressed up as empty seats. That was a major weak point of those games.

I don't want to see just about any aspect of 2016 or 2012 duplicated in 2028. Or 1996, etc. Except for perhaps the reported record attendance of the games overseen by Sebastian Coe and similar results for the Olympics supervised by Billy Payne.
californiadreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2017, 06:09 AM   #46
californiadreams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 655
Likes (Received): 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamaroon View Post




The renovation of the peristyle side of the Coliseum had better include re-inserting the flagpoles that originally were on the western flank of the arches, before the former message boards were installed on either side of the cauldron over 30 years ago.

I don't trust what USC may do with the long overdue upgrading of the stadium. I'm already not thrilled with the large bank of suites they plan to install on the south side.

I hope the new landlord doesn't screw things up even further. Even worse than what was done (or not done) for decades under the apathetic, even scandal-plagued, rule of the city-county-state Coliseum Commission.
californiadreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2017, 07:37 PM   #47
Mr_Illusive
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 178
Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiadreams View Post
Thanks for the pics, aquamaroon.

I notice Rafer Johnson was there along with, of course, Stan Kroenke.

I saw your post in the thread about the Coliseum and I'm a bit torked at the attendance for the Rams not being similar to yesterday's USC game.

In a way since the Olympics are supposed to be about amateur athletics, maybe LA28 should have had Bach at that game, not the one today.

Regardless, any major sports franchise or activity - pro or amateur - that doesn't do well in LA reflects poorly on the region.

In general, think of last year's Olympics with many spectators often dressed up as empty seats. That was a major weak point of those games.

I don't want to see just about any aspect of 2016 or 2012 duplicated in 2028. Or 1996, etc. Except for perhaps the reported record attendance of the games overseen by Sebastian Coe and similar results for the Olympics supervised by Billy Payne.

USC has played in LA for over 100 years. Rams have been back 1. Why do the Rams deserve the same level of support as USC? That's weird thinking.
__________________

redspork02 liked this post
Mr_Illusive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2017, 08:01 PM   #48
JJG
Registered User
 
JJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 3,831
Likes (Received): 1424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Illusive View Post
USC has played in LA for over 100 years. Rams have been back 1. Why do the Rams deserve the same level of support as USC? That's weird thinking.
Probably because the Rams were there for 50 years and already had an established fanbase there.

Sure, it's not on the level of USC in terms of length of time and wins (for sure) but it's not like there's NOTHING there for the Rams, unlike the other team that moved back to L.A. . . .
JJG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2017, 08:21 PM   #49
Mr_Illusive
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 178
Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Probably because the Rams were there for 50 years and already had an established fanbase there.

Sure, it's not on the level of USC in terms of length of time and wins (for sure) but it's not like there's NOTHING there for the Rams, unlike the other team that moved back to L.A. . . .


Yes, but USC is an LA institution that will never leave. The Rams ditched LA for a lesser market for 21 years. That will kill any bond. They lost that bond with my generation so they need to earn that back and focus on the next generation. USC has strong roots here. Chargers are like the Clippers, they'll have a chance but they don't deserve to be at the top of our sports landscape right now.
Mr_Illusive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 03:44 PM   #50
soup or man
Avant Garde
 
soup or man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riverside, California
Posts: 3,786
Likes (Received): 914

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Illusive View Post
Yes, but USC is an LA institution that will never leave. The Rams ditched LA for a lesser market for 21 years. That will kill any bond. They lost that bond with my generation so they need to earn that back and focus on the next generation. USC has strong roots here. Chargers are like the Clippers, they'll have a chance but they don't deserve to be at the top of our sports landscape right now.
There's still a lot of Rams fans that fondly remember when they were in LA. Errr..Anaheim. Sure this city loves the Raiders but the Rams are still relevant. They need to win though but they are better than they were last year.
__________________
Far from basic.
soup or man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 07:09 PM   #51
Mr_Illusive
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 178
Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
There's still a lot of Rams fans that fondly remember when they were in LA. Errr..Anaheim. Sure this city loves the Raiders but the Rams are still relevant. They need to win though but they are better than they were last year.


Oh yeah, I agree. There are plenty of Rams fans, it's just that when the Rams left LA, they lost my generation. I was 9 when they left, and 31 now. Most of my peers adopted other teams. They'll root for all LA teams but follow random teams like the Cowboys, 49ers, Redskins, etc as their NFL fix. It's going to take some time to undo that. The focus has to be on younger generation going forward.
Mr_Illusive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 07:11 PM   #52
Mr_Illusive
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 178
Likes (Received): 94

Anywho, it's pretty awesome how LA can host the Olympics tomorrow if it needed to. Can't say that about most cities. There's really not a whole lot that needs to be done.

Wow. I'll be in my 40's when 2028 rolls around. Crazy!
__________________

redspork02 liked this post
Mr_Illusive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 07:18 PM   #53
soup or man
Avant Garde
 
soup or man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riverside, California
Posts: 3,786
Likes (Received): 914

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Illusive View Post
Oh yeah, I agree. There are plenty of Rams fans, it's just that when the Rams left LA, they lost my generation. I was 9 when they left, and 31 now. Most of my peers adopted other teams. They'll root for all LA teams but follow random teams like the Cowboys, 49ers, Redskins, etc as their NFL fix. It's going to take some time to undo that. The focus has to be on younger generation going forward.
That's understandable. But LA is a sports town through and through. USC and UCLA has sent more athletes to the Olympics, NBA, and NFL than any universities in the US. In LA, UCLA is the basketball school and USC is the football school. The Rams have the history here and have a passionate fanbase. They also have a lot of people that they need to win over. LA loves a winner so all they need to do is win. 2020 I think is going to be the official start of Olympic fever in LA. That's when thinks will start to really fall into place for everyone.
__________________
Far from basic.
soup or man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 07:34 PM   #54
Mr_Illusive
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 178
Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
That's understandable. But LA is a sports town through and through. USC and UCLA has sent more athletes to the Olympics, NBA, and NFL than any universities in the US. In LA, UCLA is the basketball school and USC is the football school. The Rams have the history here and have a passionate fanbase. They also have a lot of people that they need to win over. LA loves a winner so all they need to do is win. 2020 I think is going to be the official start of Olympic fever in LA. That's when thinks will start to really fall into place for everyone.

Agreed! Inglewood Stadium is going to be an absolute masterpiece and a source of a lot of pride for LA area. That's going to be the place to be. Can't wait for that.
Mr_Illusive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 12:16 PM   #55
Ioannes_
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 438
Likes (Received): 258

The rehabilitation of the Olympic Stadium breaks its physiognomy: it d not ´t respect its classic architectural canons so characteristic. The reform seems to have been proposed by a Donald Trump thinking about his business without caring about the history of the building.

In Europe it would be unthinkable that the Olympic Stadium in Berlin, Wembley, or the Munich Olympic, were mutilated to embed a tier thought out of business and VIP boxes. Even Maracana was modernized without the need to implement a "Leaving Las Vegas" in its stands.

neither understand the Football Stadium contiguous, squared and embedded against the urbanistic plot of the surroundings of the Stadium ...

You could do a great job in this stadium putting the architecture ahead, without giving up commercial areas, VIPs etc, with a team of suitable architects.

The rest of the Olympic project, with the exception of the Aquatic Center, the simplest of the last editions, is Magnificent.
__________________

Kenni liked this post

Last edited by Ioannes_; September 22nd, 2017 at 12:47 AM.
Ioannes_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 04:33 PM   #56
parcdesprinces
Racing Club de France
 
parcdesprinces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Auteuil, Paris XVI | Quercy | Monaco, MC
Posts: 21,454
Likes (Received): 12422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ioannes_ View Post
The rehabilitation of the Olympic Stadium breaks its physiognomy: it d not ´t respect its classic architectural canons so characteristic.
I tend to agree with you on this.. but..well..
__________________

redspork02, Ioannes_ liked this post
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 06:51 PM   #57
soup or man
Avant Garde
 
soup or man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riverside, California
Posts: 3,786
Likes (Received): 914

__________________
Far from basic.
soup or man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 10:05 PM   #58
eVANDOpriyanto
SSCI Lampung Team
 
eVANDOpriyanto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bandarlampung, Lampung
Posts: 10,743
Likes (Received): 5921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ioannes_ View Post
The rehabilitation of the Olympic Stadium breaks its physiognomy: it d not ´t respect its classic architectural canons so characteristic. The reform seems to have been proposed by a Donald Trump thinking about his business without caring about the history of the building.

In Europe it would be unthinkable that the Olympic Stadium in Berlin, Wembley, or the Munich Olympic, were mutilated to embed a tier thought out of business and VIP boxes. Even Maracana was modernized without the need to implement a "Leaving Las Vegas" in its stands.

Tempoco I understand the Football Stadium contiguous, squared and embedded against the urbanistic plot of the surroundings of the Stadium ...

You could do a great job in this stadium putting the architecture ahead, without giving up commercial areas, VIPs etc, with a team of suitable architects.

The rest of the Olympic project, with the exception of the Aquatic Center, the simplest of the last editions, is Magnificent.
Agree... Take an example like Gelora Bung Karno Main Stadium, built for 4th Asian Games 1962, and will be used again in 18th Asian Games 2018... They respected its original classic architectural...













__________________
Let's Follow
SkyscraperCity Lampung
Click this link for more info

Last edited by eVANDOpriyanto; September 22nd, 2017 at 03:22 PM.
eVANDOpriyanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2017, 07:35 AM   #59
aquamaroon
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de Los Ángeles
Posts: 3,306
Likes (Received): 7122

So THIS is exciting news, if only a tease! StreetsblogLA, the blog focused on transit in LA, tweeted out a message about something Garcetti is planning for Measure M they're calling "28 for 28":

Quote:
StreetsblogLA‏
@StreetsblogLA


Metro mtg: Garcetti announces "28 by 28" initiative to complete 28 Measure M projects by 2028 olympics - details coming later
https://twitter.com/StreetsblogLA/st...37035544711169


So wow!! That's exciting 28 of the measure M transit projects completed by 2028 would be incredible, seeing as how there's "only" 45 of them:



And the full map:




As you can see quite a bit is planned to go out into the 2040's, so getting the majority of this done in eleven years would be an incredible boon for the city! And the Olympics too of course Will be sure to post once we get the full announcement!
__________________

Towersla liked this post
aquamaroon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2017, 07:11 PM   #60
pesto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16,086
Likes (Received): 4084

Sounds seriously exciting! But, as always, got to wait for the specifics.

When I see new project proposals I am already getting into the habit of thinking "what is the impact of this on the LA that will host the Olympics".
__________________

aquamaroon liked this post
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us