Broad Street Tower | Residential | 134m | 38 fl | Canc. - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 26th, 2005, 10:24 PM   #121
pirlo_21
Scaramouche, Scaramouche,

Likes (Received): 450

threre's no need to tone broad street down its fantastic as it is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 26th, 2005, 10:24 PM   #122
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1018

well they better hope not as planing permission expires after 5 years after being granted!
Old July 26th, 2005, 10:36 PM   #123
woodhousen

here is a little mock up i did showing how the horthern side of broad street could be developed and extend bridnley place......

and an areal block view

however this one would be alot more spread out creating a brund new large park and square.........

any brave developers watching lol??????????//
Advertisement

Old July 26th, 2005, 10:47 PM   #124
ROYAL BLUE

Likes (Received): 1351

Thats Quality!
ROYAL BLUE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 10:59 PM   #125
pirlo_21
Scaramouche, Scaramouche,

Likes (Received): 450

cool
Old July 26th, 2005, 11:13 PM   #126
Smileyface
BAND AID

Likes (Received): 274

It's quality and it's cool!
Old July 27th, 2005, 12:41 AM   #127
birminghamculture

Likes (Received): 2

Very good Woodhousen, I especially like the shape of the tower and how you've positioned it so its head onto the the oncoming traffic. Very Las Vegas like.

Now ...can you do a future Skyline render I really want to see one, but Im awful at them - if someone could tell me how to do one on paint Id give it a shot
birminghamculture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 01:03 AM   #128
brum2003

Likes (Received): 258

if i had a few hundred million spare, lol, if i had a few pounds a great vision though, if only you ran the council Woodhousen

as for living on broad Street, I live just off it and it's not bad at all, the street itself can be rowdy on a weekend, but its alot better since the clampdown

believe me, banning cars would be a great idea as loads of boy racers who cant get into the bars 'cruise' up and down , firing water pistols at people and generally being a nuicance !!!

if the apartment entrance was on the street running parallel at the back (tennant street) and the Hotel entrance on Broad Street, it should not put buyers off !! after all there are lots of apartments being built on Granville Street as we speak....and also Sheepcote Street is almost fully developed now
brum2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 01:56 AM   #129
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 496

I've just realised how tall this is, it's looking about twice the height of Cumberland House.
I guess Tikka Tikka (think that's what's called) and the newsagents will go but I can't work out if we'll lose Lee Longlands too. It'd be a shame, it's a nice deco building
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 02:10 AM   #130
woodhousen

as far as i am aware, lee longlands is listed!
Old July 27th, 2005, 04:17 PM   #131
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

Nice work Woody - I reckon you should put your handiwork to an aerial shot of the city centre with all the fairly firm developments on them - that would beat a skyline pic!

I would like to see something like you've done there placed at the back of the current library - where the UCE halls are - maybe knock the flats down at the back of Centenary Square? It would really revitalise that part of town and unlock the potential of the Jewellery Quarter. Or maybe around the BT tower with a wide pedestrian link into the financial quarter.

Incidentally, IMO some serious street remodelling needs to be done to make the backstreets of Colmore Row more friendly and connect JQ to the city core. When you walk down Gt Charles St it feels like you have the buildings with their backs facing you.

But that's straying off subject....
Old August 3rd, 2005, 04:39 PM   #132
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 496

I thought it was a bit of a shame the new registry office was hiding the towers along broad street but at around twice the height of Jurys Inn, Trident and Cumberland house you'll certainly see this monster

[IMG]http://************/9uq6as.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://************/9uq8ld.jpg[/IMG]
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 05:09 PM   #133
Smileyface
BAND AID

Likes (Received): 274

Good stuff Foxtrot, it certainly looks imposing in those pics
Old August 3rd, 2005, 05:49 PM   #134
birminghamculture

Good work - It will most definately be a monster
Old August 3rd, 2005, 06:41 PM   #135
woodhousen

bring it on!
Old August 3rd, 2005, 07:51 PM   #136
Steve-e-b

Likes (Received): 0

Great pics, particularly that first one. Having an open space beside a tall building really allows you to appreciate its size.
Steve-e-b no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 06:15 PM   #137
bileduct
malu cachu

Quote:
I don't know how much of this is just prejudice (can anyone think of anything by the Richardsons that looks like the slightest effort was made with its design?), but this looks horribly like a Basingstoke-quality building to me. A bit taller than you'd get in Basingstoke maybe, but no better - just dull and cheap, a fifth rate rip-off of the stuff Norman Foster was producing twenty years ago.

Birmingham needs to be wary of imitating Manchester's quantity of new towers if it can't achive the same level of quality and imagination too. Manchester's current projects strike a fine balance between proposals by established architects with global reputations for excellence (eg Foster, Denton Corker Marshall) and giving breaks to its more adventurous and ambitious young local firms (eg Simpson). There's no reason I can see why Birmingham couldn't do the same - there are several very exciting looking firms emerging in the city, for example - but at the moment its ambitions for its towers seem to lie more with bargain-basement architects in Redditch, Brierley Hill and a small industrial estate on the outskirts of Ellesmere Port.

Personally I think no towers is better than crap towers. Outside this forum you'll meet very few people who will argue that mediocre buildings are better tall than short.
bileduct no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 06:33 PM   #138
birminghamculture

Thats the back of the tower and until we recieve better renders thats all we have. I still think it will be a great addition to this part of town. anything unique would look ridiculously out of place here. Paris might have trees lining thier city entrance and London might have historical villages, but we have boxes (just how I like it)
Old August 5th, 2005, 07:04 PM   #139
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

It just depends. Firstly this is a very early stage render so the design will undoubtedly change, and quite considerably. I don't mind this - it isn't ground-breaking and something fancier would be nice but provided the materials are of high quality I think it will look damn good as it is. The view from the NIA over Brindley Place will be terrific

And isn't Simpson Liverpudlian?
Old August 5th, 2005, 08:05 PM   #140
bileduct
malu cachu

Things don't have to be a wacky shape to be well designed though. If anything that design looks a bit on the fussy side - better to have a few fewer details but have them a bit more considered IMO.

That's a fair point about reading too much into a single early render, but I just wish I had a bit more faith in the Richardsons' commitment to developing the sort of design that the site deserves and demands, or in the city council's will to force them to. Would anything of this size automatically involve CABE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic
And isn't Simpson Liverpudlian?
Beetham's a scouser but I thought Simpson was a Manc? The practice is certainly based in Manchester, down the back of Deansgate station.

Last edited by bileduct; August 5th, 2005 at 08:11 PM.
bileduct no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
birmingham