Tennis Stadiums - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 21st, 2006, 02:29 AM   #21
Grollo
Developer

Likes (Received): 1828

The best tennis centre in the world is Melbourne Park, home of the Australian Open grand slam tournament:

- Two retractable roof stadiums with seating for 10,500 and 15,000 spectators.
- 3 show courts
- 20 outdoor courts
- 4 indoor courts
- Function centre
- Superb location in the heart of the city next to a tram and train stops
- Attendance of 550,550 people for the 2006 Australian Open.

Last edited by Grollo; February 21st, 2006 at 02:34 AM.
Grollo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2006, 02:34 AM   #22
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 297

These stadiums all just look like "Plastic" stadiums which are very similar around the world, the ones at wimbledon and roland garros have character, and wimbledon for me has the best atmosphere. some may say atmosphere has nothing to do with architecture but the stadium is what determines atmosphere.
Old February 21st, 2006, 02:45 AM   #23
JimB

Likes (Received): 7486

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grollo
The best tennis centre in the world is Melbourne Park, home of the Australian Open grand slam tournament:

- Two retractable roof stadiums with seating for 10,500 and 15,000 spectators.
- 3 show courts
- 20 outdoor courts
- 4 indoor courts
- Function centre
- Superb location in the heart of the city next to a tram and train stops
- Attendance of 550,550 people for the 2006 Australian Open.

Very impressive.
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2006, 02:59 AM   #24
BobDaBuilder

Likes (Received): 1

Been to Wimbledon, and Melbourne. I like Wimbledon because of the traditions and the natural turf. However due to the massive interest in the tournament and the huge populations of London and Europe there are drawbacks.

At Wimbledon, get up around 5am, spend about 6 to 8 HOURS in a queue, pay and get to see Junior doubles and if you are REALLY lucky see maybe the mixed doubles of some names you may have heard of.

Melbourne is just simply far more practical. You can walk from the city in 15 mins or take a train or tram. If you cannot be bothered just drive and park in the car park.
You can actually pay your cash at the counter on the day, after lining up for about 5 minutes, waltz in and see Roger Federer, Hewitt, Roddick, Henman, Hingis, etc..etc.. without any problems. The beer costs MORE than at Wimbledon however which is a crime in a city which has more beer than fresh water. Comes down to Melbourne being about as far from anywhere as you can get in the world and the Oz Open is the distant 4th grand slam.
BobDaBuilder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 06:35 AM   #25
HoldenV8

Likes (Received): 29

Some Australian tennis centres.

Sydney Tennis Centre

Memorial Drive, Adelaide

Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne (Australian Open Final venue)

Vodafone Arena, Melbourne

Burswood Dome, Perth (Hopman Cup)

There are others that I don't have decent photo's of as yet such as Kooyong in Melbourne & White City in Sydney.
HoldenV8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 07:14 AM   #26
alexx02

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubomb
This is the best so far. I'm not interested in history or prestige or atmosphere (fans make atmosphere, not stadiums). I simply want to see what is the most impressive physical structure. Wimbledon is nice, but it is a bit boring for me and too green!! I'm not that keen on green stadiums (nothing to do with celtic, I just don't think green stadiums look pleasant to the eye).

Any more tennis stadiums? Something a bit different with a bit of spice?
I've been to Arthur Ashe 7 times. It is the least intimate and most boring tennis stadium. The fans are miles away from the court, everything is over-priced, and the crowd noise is lost. It has shoddy construction, you feel like you are being gouged while you are there...it pales in comparison to some of the other stadiums...even at the US Open.
alexx02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 08:33 AM   #27
HoldenV8

Likes (Received): 29

Arthur Ashe Stadium seems, in pictures and on TV at least, be be a fine stadium but I personally think that it would be better off with a full roof and a basketball court rather than a tennis court. It does seem more like a basketball stadium than a tennis venue.

Rod Laver arena was a technical marvel when first opened back in 1988. Now its got some history behind it at least.

Roland Garross is second only to Wimbledon for Grand Slam Tennis character.

Wimbledon. Best by far for history and character. But its not the best tennis stadium around.

I personally don't know which would be the best actually. They all have their good and bad points.
HoldenV8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 10:48 AM   #28
bubomb

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its AlL gUUd
These stadiums all just look like "Plastic" stadiums which are very similar around the world, the ones at wimbledon and roland garros have character, and wimbledon for me has the best atmosphere. some may say atmosphere has nothing to do with architecture but the stadium is what determines atmosphere.
I would say it's the crowd that determines atmosphere. 10000 people chatting and not making much nosie will sound the same whether it is Wimbledon or Arthur Ashe. The crowd cheer at Wimbledon because they are enjoying the match and the occasion. I very much doubt the crowd say to each other - 'My god, what great architecture for a tennis stadium, YYYEEEEAAAAAAHHH CCCCCCMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOONNNNNN, this stadium design is making me right up for this!!'
bubomb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 10:52 AM   #29
bubomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexx02
I've been to Arthur Ashe 7 times. It is the least intimate and most boring tennis stadium. The fans are miles away from the court, everything is over-priced, and the crowd noise is lost. It has shoddy construction, you feel like you are being gouged while you are there...it pales in comparison to some of the other stadiums...even at the US Open.
Surely only some of the fans are far away? The bottom 2 tiers looks as close as any other tennis stadium!!

Obviously the more tiers you add to a tennis stadium the further away the crowd will be on these additional tiers. But surely it is better to have a third tier with the crowd further away than not to have this tier at all. At least this way fans will get to see the match. It is better to see the match with a poorish view than not see it at all!!

Last edited by bubomb; February 21st, 2006 at 11:12 AM.
Old February 21st, 2006, 11:09 AM   #30
NavyBlue
Under Construction

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
I would say it's the crowd that determines atmosphere. 10000 people chatting and not making much nosie will sound the same whether it is Wimbledon or Arthur Ashe. The crowd cheer at Wimbledon because they are enjoying the match and the occasion. I very much doubt the crowd say to each other - 'My god, what great architecture for a tennis stadium, YYYEEEEAAAAAAHHH CCCCCCMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOONNNNNN, this stadium design is making me right up for this!!'
I agree . . . there have been many Davis Cup ties over the years at smaller and less attractive venues that have had better atmosphere than the four grand slam venues.
NavyBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 11:40 AM   #31
Jutcho
Taaaaaame!!

Likes (Received): 4

What about Roland Garros? They're planning to build an indoor court as well.

Jutcho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 12:44 PM   #32
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andaluz
A tennis court inside "La Cartuja Stadium" in Sevilla (Spain).

Final Davis Cup 2004: Spain vs USA

Putting a tennis court into an athletics stadium enabled the Spanish to actually break the World Record attendance(around 26,000) for an official tennis match.
It was previously the 1954 Davis Cup tie in Sydney at the Old White city venue.
ExSydney no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 01:01 PM   #33
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 495

Athens Tennis Centre

geometarkv, George_D liked this post
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 03:00 PM   #34
kingdomca

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Surely only some of the fans are far away? The bottom 2 tiers looks as close as any other tennis stadium!!

Obviously the more tiers you add to a tennis stadium the further away the crowd will be on these additional tiers. But surely it is better to have a third tier with the crowd further away than not to have this tier at all. At least this way fans will get to see the match. It is better to see the match with a poorish view than not see it at all!!
No its not. The space of the venue grows with more tiers and the sense of being disconnected spreads.
Imagine they lowered the court and used it as a 30,000 capacity table tennis venue. Would that be great for table tennis. Hardly.

These details matter quite a lot. and atmosphere matters. No one goes to a big restaurant with lots of tables lined up in straight lines. It doesnt even exist. Everyone would prefer the small crowded atmospheric place. Its the same for sports though different for different sports.

I think tennis requires a small venue because the playing area is small and also because its a slow sport, less easy to get involved in the game. I would say 10,000 is almost too big but thats the good thing about Centre court, Wimbledon, it "hides" people under the roof so it appears smaller.

But of course it also matters how the game is followed and thats where the US open really lets itself down and becomes unwatchable.
kingdomca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 10:14 PM   #35
Scba

Likes (Received): 1530

The Melbourne complex seems the best, I don't care about prestige or history.
Scba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 11:14 PM   #36
bubomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomca
No its not. The space of the venue grows with more tiers and the sense of being disconnected spreads.
Imagine they lowered the court and used it as a 30,000 capacity table tennis venue. Would that be great for table tennis. Hardly.

These details matter quite a lot. and atmosphere matters. No one goes to a big restaurant with lots of tables lined up in straight lines. It doesnt even exist. Everyone would prefer the small crowded atmospheric place. Its the same for sports though different for different sports.

I think tennis requires a small venue because the playing area is small and also because its a slow sport, less easy to get involved in the game. I would say 10,000 is almost too big but thats the good thing about Centre court, Wimbledon, it "hides" people under the roof so it appears smaller.

But of course it also matters how the game is followed and thats where the US open really lets itself down and becomes unwatchable.

If I was a tennis fan I would rather watch the game from the top tier than not getting a ticket and not seeing the game at all!!

10000 great seats + 4000 poor seats is better than 10000 great seats.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 01:21 AM   #37
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 1452

Hamburg's Tennis stadium with retractable tent roof and a capacity of 13.300 spectators.

DiggerD21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 01:28 AM   #38
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

can anyone find any pictures of tennis being played at the Royal Albert Hall??????
Old February 22nd, 2006, 02:55 AM   #39
BobDaBuilder

Likes (Received): 1

Ten or so years ago I saw OZ play a Davis Cup tie against France in an old Roman Amphitheatre in the town of Arles in southern France built in the 1st century AD. The same one as seen in 'Ronin' starring Robert De Niro and the delicious Natasha McElhrone. :P

They use it for bullfights("French style" where the bull lives) still today so they have built some modern scaffolding for spectators to hang above the old terracing.

For tennis they just plonked down the clay.

Oz lost from memory. We are rubbish on clay/"tout en cas" in Froggie I believe.

The town of Arles certainly have had a good return in investment on that stadium. 1900 years of use at least. As the towns largest tourist attraction, they still get use out of the arena today.

Last edited by BobDaBuilder; February 22nd, 2006 at 03:02 AM.
BobDaBuilder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 12:25 AM   #40
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Aren't there better pics then that?(thanks for trying)
Advertisement

Tags
stadiums