USA - College Football Stadiums - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 17th, 2008, 05:53 AM   #121
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 435

Was I being a homer? I did grow up in Winston-Salem and I'm a life-long Wake fan, but I just wanted to add some stadiums where I've seen a few games over the years that hadn't been mentioned. The only other one not yet mentioned that I've visited is at East Carolina University...Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium - 43,000. Go Pirates!

http://football.ballparks.com/NCAA/C...lina/index.htm

http://ecupirates.cstv.com/facilitie...ies-dowdy.html

Last edited by WeimieLvr; June 17th, 2008 at 05:59 AM.
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 17th, 2008, 04:58 PM   #122
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 5064

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeimieLvr View Post
Was I being a homer?
Not a zealous one, but you did pick stadiums only from the ACC and, to be honest, very few in the conference would qualify as "cathedrals" of the game. The spirit of the thread is to recognize the game's greatest venues, not just list every facility available. Groves Stadium is really nice, but not something that a die-hard fan HAS to see before he dies. See where (I believe) we're headed?

To wit, Dowdy-Ficklen is among those that doesn't "fit in" here. I'd say the true cathedrals of the college game would be thus:

Yale Bowl
Harvard Stadium
Franklin Field (Penn)
Beaver Stadium (PSU)
Michigan Stadium
Ohio Stadium
Notre Dame Stadium
Rose Bowl
Husky Stadium (Washington)
Michie Stadium (Army)
Memorial Stadium (Nebraska)
Memorial Stadium (Oklahoma)
Memorial Stadium (Clemson)
Royal Memorial Stadium (Texas)
LaVell Edwards Stadium (BYU)
Doak Campbell (FSU)
Bryant Denny (Bama)
Sanford (UGA)
Neyland (Tenn)
Tiger Stadium (LSU)

Honorable Mention
Bobby Dodd Stadium at Grant Field (GT)
Vaught Hemingway (Ole Miss)
Kyle Field (TA&M)
Camp Randall (Wisc)
Kinnick Stadium (Iowa)
Jordan Hare (Auburn)
Sun Devil Stadium (ASU)
LA Coliseum (USC)
Kenan Stadium (UNC)
Scott Stadium (UVA)
Folsom Field (Col)
Spartan Stadium (MSU)
Ben Hill Griffin (UF)

Sure there are plenty of others that are large and have great atmospheres, but may (IMO) lack the history, setting or the grand architecture for me to include them right now. Take Williams Bryce for SC, or Ross Ade for Purdue as examples. If you're going to establish a top tier, however, there has to be something more than just being big or even having a great team. I'm also fortunate enough to say I've had the pleasure of going to 13 of the sites on my two lists!

Surely others will disagree, but that's the fun of such discussions, no?
Old June 18th, 2008, 08:23 AM   #123
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

An historically significant story about Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium (ECU is Conference USA):

Quote:
On November 14, 1970, the visiting Marshall University Thundering Herd lost a game 17-14 to the Pirates at Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium, which ended with Marshall quarterback Ted Shoebridge controversially being called for intentional grounding on the last play of the game. Later that evening, while on approach to Huntington Tri-State Airport, the plane, which had been chartered to transport the Thundering Herd to and from Greenville, crashed, killing all seventy-five people on board.

On December 11, 2006, a plaque was erected at the visitors' entrance to Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium. It depicts the memorial fountain on the Marshall University campus.
I didn't realize there was definitive identity for a stadium to be considered one of the Cathedrals. One could be included for it's size (Cathedrals are big), it's beauty (Cathedrals are beautiful), it's status (Cathedrals are holy), etc...so I posted some pictures of stadiums where I've seen games and stadiums that I consider important and of Cathedral stature.

And it really depends on which team one is a "die-hard" fan of...if you're a die-hard Vanderbilt fan you'll want to see Vanderbilt Stadium before you die and you might not give flip about Sanford Stadium. It's all relative...I simply added a few that hadn't been mentioned thus far that I consider important, but I apologize if the photos I posted caused any heartache.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 18th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #124
Brent H.

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Was I being a homer? I did grow up in Winston-Salem and I'm a life-long Wake fan, but I just wanted to add some stadiums where I've seen a few games over the years that hadn't been mentioned.
Im a Wake alum and a football and basketball season ticket holder. Nice to see another fan. The new renovations have really improved the looks of the stadium. The best part is the new statue of the demon deacon:
http://www.jonhair.com/handler.cfm?c...Y&med_id=28627

Of the other college football stadiums Ive been to, Clemson is very big and loud, that stadium and the atmosphere is amazing, especially the new additions, however watching your favorite team get clobbered by the tigers isnt all that fun. Scott Stadium is a neat place. And as much as I dislike the Tar Heels, Kenan is a cool stadium.

Another college football stadium Ive been to is one of america's most interesting and historic multi-purpose stadiums, Bowman Gray Stadium, there is a 1/4 mile oval track surrounding the football field which has been hosting stock car races every saturday night during summer since 1949 (this is the minor leagues of NASCAR), the NASCAR grand national series (now Sprint Cup series) also raced there in the 60s. The stadium also hosted the Wake Forest Demon Deacons from 1956 until the construction of groves in 1967, and is now the home of the Winston-Salem State Rams football. Ive never seen a football game there but I have been to two races there and really enjoyed it.

Brent H. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 04:46 AM   #125
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 5064

Hats off to you guys as Wake fans. I've always enjoyed my trips there and have yet to meet a Deacon fan I didn't like. Grobe is a great coach and I wish that program continued success. If only the school were a little larger...
Quote:
I didn't realize there was definitive identity for a stadium to be considered one of the Cathedrals.

It's all relative...I simply added a few that hadn't been mentioned thus far that I consider important, but I apologize if the photos I posted caused any heartache.
Fair enough. I agree that it's all in the eye of the beholder. Some of those I listed I truly have no interest in seeing myself. The point I was trying to make is that in the traditional message board context when someone refers to "the cathedrals of (insert sport here)," they're trying to identify the upper tier of those structures as represented by general consensus. Seemingly every year one media outlet or another ranks stadiums, especially for college football, and usually one of the grandest if referred to as a cathedral as a measure of reverence. And heaven knows I've participated in this type of discussion for nigh 18 years or so. Thus I've always interpreted the phrase via this metaphor - There are thousands of churches across the country, but only a limited number of cathedrals.

So, I'm certainly with you on saying it's all a matter of taste. I was simply trying to define that "limited number" as I suspect the majority of fans would call it. It's all good.

Cheers.
Old June 20th, 2008, 03:35 AM   #126
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
Hats off to you guys as Wake fans. I've always enjoyed my trips there and have yet to meet a Deacon fan I didn't like. Grobe is a great coach and I wish that program continued success. If only the school were a little larger...
Fair enough. I agree that it's all in the eye of the beholder. Some of those I listed I truly have no interest in seeing myself. The point I was trying to make is that in the traditional message board context when someone refers to "the cathedrals of (insert sport here)," they're trying to identify the upper tier of those structures as represented by general consensus. Seemingly every year one media outlet or another ranks stadiums, especially for college football, and usually one of the grandest if referred to as a cathedral as a measure of reverence. And heaven knows I've participated in this type of discussion for nigh 18 years or so. Thus I've always interpreted the phrase via this metaphor - There are thousands of churches across the country, but only a limited number of cathedrals.

So, I'm certainly with you on saying it's all a matter of taste. I was simply trying to define that "limited number" as I suspect the majority of fans would call it. It's all good.

Cheers.
I only posted 5 stadiums...that's a pretty limited number - it's not like I tried to show every college football stadium. So is it only the size of stadiums that makes them so revered? It seems like almost all of the prior ones in the thread were the largest in existence.

You said that history and tradition plays a part in a stadium's cathedral status, and it seems like it's more related to the football programs rather than the stadiums alone...so here is some history associated with my less-important cathedrals:

The South's Oldest Rivalry - Nickname for the annual UNC-UVA that was first played in 1892. The teams have played 112 times.

Victory Bell - the traveling trophy awarded to the winner of UNC-Duke (one of 3 Victory Bells in college football). The two teams have met 93 times beginning in 1889.

Wake Forest 6, North Carolina 4 - score of the first intercollegiate football game played in the state of North Carolin...October 18, 1888.

1945 - the first Gator Bowl football game, where Wake Forest defeated South Carolina 26-14 in Jacksonville, Florida.

Brian Piccolo - Wake Forest running back who led the nation in rushing and scoring and was 1964 ACC Player of the Year. His cancer struggle and death was made famous through the movie Brian's Song.

Georgia Tech - one of the Top 20 winningest Division I-A programs, was also the first team to win all four of the historical big four bowls - the Orange (1940), Sugar (1944), Cotton (1955) and Rose (1929). Tech's 22 bowl wins ranks 8th overall.

John Heisman - Heisman Trophy namesake, coached Georgia Tech to it's first (of 4 total) National Championship in 1917.

Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate - title of the Georgia Tech-UGA rivalry game, first played in 1893. The winner controls the Governor's Cup for the rest of the year.

War of the Broken Oar - Clemson-Georgia Tech rivalry game dating back to 1898.

Commonwealth Cup - UVA-Virginia Tech rivalry game that began in 1895.
Old June 20th, 2008, 03:50 AM   #127
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent H. View Post
Im a Wake alum and a football and basketball season ticket holder. Nice to see another fan. The new renovations have really improved the looks of the stadium. The best part is the new statue of the demon deacon:
http://www.jonhair.com/handler.cfm?c...Y&med_id=28627

Of the other college football stadiums Ive been to, Clemson is very big and loud, that stadium and the atmosphere is amazing, especially the new additions, however watching your favorite team get clobbered by the tigers isnt all that fun. Scott Stadium is a neat place. And as much as I dislike the Tar Heels, Kenan is a cool stadium.

Another college football stadium Ive been to is one of america's most interesting and historic multi-purpose stadiums, Bowman Gray Stadium, there is a 1/4 mile oval track surrounding the football field which has been hosting stock car races every saturday night during summer since 1949 (this is the minor leagues of NASCAR), the NASCAR grand national series (now Sprint Cup series) also raced there in the 60s. The stadium also hosted the Wake Forest Demon Deacons from 1956 until the construction of groves in 1967, and is now the home of the Winston-Salem State Rams football. Ive never seen a football game there but I have been to two races there and really enjoyed it.

I became a forced WFU fan because my Dad graduated from Wake...it's a tough fanship with the other 3 Big Four schools and their throngs of fans throughout the state. After moving to Atlanta, I found that if you live outside of N.C. the Tarheels become easier to like...I think the reason many people hate UNC is because of the fans themselves - and every redneck in every corner of the state is a Carolina fan (much like UGA, UF, UT, etc. fans).

I went to a high school football game at Bowman Gray Stadium back in the 80's...West Forsyth alum here. It's definitely a neat old-school stadium that I hope isn't being torn apart by those races over all those years.
Old September 8th, 2008, 06:44 AM   #128
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 200

its college football time again!

Penn State vs Oregon State

Old September 8th, 2008, 07:37 AM   #129
matthemod

Likes (Received): 125

As a recent addition to the "hoosier nation" was a bit surprised to not see I.U.'s stadium not on here.

My MiniCity!
matthemod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 07:48 AM   #130
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthemod View Post
As a recent addition to the "hoosier nation" was a bit surprised to not see I.U.'s stadium not on here.
well Indianas not really a football powerhouse, but here you go

Old September 8th, 2008, 09:31 AM   #131
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
well Indianas not really a football powerhouse, but here you go

My God that is terrible.
TexasBoi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 02:37 PM   #132
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 468

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBoi View Post
My God that is terrible.
The stadium is currently undergoing an expansion to the north end zone:

KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 02:11 AM   #133
jkramb

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
My God that is terrible.
It's identical to lane stadium at Virginia Tech before they expanded.

this is where the stadium is at right now...

Last edited by jkramb; September 15th, 2008 at 02:20 AM.
jkramb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 04:09 AM   #134
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 468

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkramb View Post
It's identical to lane stadium at Virginia Tech before they expanded.

this is where the stadium is at right now...

That's the difference between fifteen consecutive winning seasons for one program and only two in the same time span for the other.
KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #135
salaverryo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
To wit, Dowdy-Ficklen is among those that doesn't "fit in" here. I'd say the true cathedrals of the college game would be thus:
You left out the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, Texas. Unforgivable.
salaverryo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 08:22 PM   #136
Nikom
Avoid the Noid

Likes (Received): 263

I love this college stadiums, they are amazing
Nikom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 02:10 AM   #137
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Quote:
To wit, Dowdy-Ficklen is among those that doesn't "fit in" here.
East Carolina's stadium "fits in" a little better now I think...
Old September 16th, 2008, 07:11 AM   #138
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 70

What's the deal with that track around Indiana's stadium?
Bobby3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 07:27 AM   #139
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 3040

Quote:
My God that is terrible.
Why is that terrible?
Old September 16th, 2008, 08:15 AM   #140
Phriggin' Ogre
American't

Location: Central Washington[currently] Greater Los Angeles California, Greater Guadalajara, Jalisco[formerly]
Likes (Received): 2494

Great thread. The Rose Bowl and Husky Stadium are my favorite!
Advertisement

Tags
america, new orleans, usa