Blackpool - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction

Projects and Construction The latest news!

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 17th, 2009, 12:27 AM   #101
delores

Likes (Received): 822

Am I the only one on here that find the lamps far too crude and clunky and far too big? I'm loving the rest of the regeneration and the tree charity is a great idea but surely this should be implimented by the council as well? not just leaving it to the general public to cough up for?
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 17th, 2009, 03:13 AM   #102
Zim Flyer
Rock Lord

Likes (Received): 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by delores View Post
Am I the only one on here that find the lamps far too crude and clunky and far too big? I'm loving the rest of the regeneration and the tree charity is a great idea but surely this should be implimented by the council as well? not just leaving it to the general public to cough up for?
To be fair they aren't normal lamps they are more like night club lights in the sort of light shows they project in the evening, they have put them all over the place, they have gone light crazy in the Town centre, they have called it regeneration by light.

Here are some more on the other side of the street which links the picture with my naughty flash and Birley street with the "Brilliance" Display on it:

Re the tree charity, the council and ReBlackpool will have to be involved at some level, but the heart of the charity will be that it's citizen led and that it's up to the people of Blackpool to take the initiative and help with the regeneration themselves. I've got a meeting with the future Tory MP for Blackpool North in four weeks who wants to get involved and is very keen on the idea of private/citizen led projects.

I was inspired for it partly by the feedback of people on here who all said Blackpool needs trees, partly John Bickerstaffe who was the man behind the Tower in the 1890's and this group from Barmouth in Wales: http://barmouth-brig.co.uk/businesssponsors.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4mmy View Post
and brilliant how your flash lit up the sign and nothing else.... could be the start of a new genre no?
Cheers B4mmy, the flash on my camera was very lazy in that picture he he he.

Last edited by Zim Flyer; October 17th, 2009 at 03:24 AM.
Zim Flyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 12:35 AM   #103
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 10972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim Flyer View Post
Just a couple of brief updates:

Brilliance is almost completed, they are just about to start laying bricks for the floor work now as can been in the pictures on Live from Blackpool:

http://www.livefromblackpool.co.uk/f...php?f=23&t=540

It really does look awesome and will really help to open up this part of the town centre:

St John's Plaza is looking lovely and will be all set for the Queen's visit for the Royal Variety show in December:

http://www.livefromblackpool.co.uk/f...php?f=23&t=348

We also have the new illuminated musical fountains installed and working:

http://www.livefromblackpool.co.uk/f...hp?f=23&t=1388
I love those light and sound arches,I'd like too see some pictures of them working when they're finished,they're absolutely brilliant!
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2009, 03:27 AM   #104
Zim Flyer
Rock Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
I love those light and sound arches,I'd like too see some pictures of them working when they're finished,they're absolutely brilliant!
Cheers Paul, I'll get my good friend Peter M to post some once it's done, he has just invested in a rather dandy HD device so we should get some good movies from him which will do justice to the Brilliance Display.
Old October 31st, 2009, 03:30 PM   #105
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 10972

Yeah that sounds great Zim,I'll have to go to Blackpool again sometime to see them for myself.I can see there's been big improvements to the whole stretch of Promenade over the last few years,it's looking good.
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 09:00 PM   #106
Zim Flyer
Rock Lord

New 3D renders have been released for what the rebuilt Talbot Gateway will look like, (demolition of some buildings has begun and construction starts in 2011):

(I believe Wilkinson's is bottom left and the bus station which will be converted in to shops and the roof retained as a car park is bottom right, it's good to see Tram lines are still planned eventually for this corridor):

The new transport interchange at Blackpool North:

The Talbot Bus station in this render I believe has the blue banner on it and looks like it they have given it a glass cladding.

Old November 6th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #107
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 1620

Great to see proposals of this size for a town like Blackpool, however (forgive me if its just indicative/massing) its a bit generic and doesn't reflect the resort-element. I know there is more to Blackpool than the tourism trade and it has its own residents but I feel it needs to be a bit more inspiration from the history etc.
ferge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 10:51 PM   #108
delores

Likes (Received): 822

The bus station's great but the buildings are lazy architecture. Too much random cladding, and if someone says this is a generalisation just look at the renders!
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 12:28 AM   #109
Zim Flyer
Rock Lord

Cheers Ferge and Delores, I agree the architecture concerned (apart from perhaps the new front to Blackpool North Station isn't going to win any great awards and could be anywhere in the country.

However, things are so bad in this part of the town especially for anyone arriving by public transport it will be a huge improvement.

Now we all know with 3d renders they have a habit of changing by the time construction starts, so I'll keep you all posted of that through 2010 as plans are finalised before construction starts.
Old November 27th, 2009, 02:20 AM   #110
Zim Flyer
Rock Lord

Just a brief update, the paving on Birley street is now completed and it looks lovely, it's been designed so as to reflect the light from Brilliance:

A small update from St John's Square where a winter's icerink is about to be built and that is the shared space concept with buses is due to dropped as too many people like the idea of it being pedestrian only, if anything it's proving to be a victim of it's own success with so many loving the public space that now exists there:

Old November 27th, 2009, 11:14 PM   #111
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 1620

it does show how small changes to street furniture and fittings can bring out the best in buildings.. the nice buildings that is, lets just hope they start replacing those shitty buildings in time. The potential is growing, that's for sure!
ferge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 12:08 AM   #112
redTom

Likes (Received): 52

I've never been to Blackpool but from the pics, the paving and new lighting scheme seem to have worked quite well. The shop fronts and some of the buildings are a big let down though.

Is there any masterplan to improve these with a 'common' theme for all units?
Old December 20th, 2009, 01:57 AM   #113
dazzler4

Likes (Received): 0

i think there may have been several masterplans, i lived on Buchanan street in 2003/2004. it seems that not a great deal has been done since then and a lot of the buildings had already been compulsary purchased and left to rot.

Blackpool has scope to become a good destination but i think it will take a good 20 years and huge sums of money. So much of blackpool needs help.
the seasons are now short and i dont know if any redevelopement can bring it back to life.
dazzler4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2010, 10:08 AM   #114
EnglishKevin
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4mmy View Post
those lamps are damn funky Zim

and brilliant how your flash lit up the sign and nothing else.... could be the start of a new genre no?
Hideous . Absolutely bloody hideous. A street full of ugly lights that are way too big and dominant. You can see they're trying to make an effort but dressing up places that need to be levelled and rebuilt is a bit sad.

No class. It never will have. Chav City.
EnglishKevin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 01:17 AM   #115
Mr.Someone
Somewhere in The North...

Likes (Received): 50

Thank You, Mr Generalisation.

Yes agreed there are areas which are focused down-market but I personally don't have a problem with Blackpool. It has something suited to everyone in or within a few miles of it, i.e. if you don't like Blackpool try St Annes or Lytham.

Anyway I think its heritage trams are world class and theres nothing better than seeing a green/cream boat tram going past the new prom on a warm sunny day.

if Blackpool was to be a "chav city". Why would other cities from across the world be appaulding and using its trams e.g. San Fransicao and the 228?
Mr.Someone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 04:29 PM   #116
Preston_guy

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferge View Post
it does show how small changes to street furniture and fittings can bring out the best in buildings.. the nice buildings that is, lets just hope they start replacing those shitty buildings in time. The potential is growing, that's for sure!
Until PRESTON objects to their plans for renewal
Preston_guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 12:27 AM   #117
Zim Flyer
Rock Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishKevin View Post
Hideous . Absolutely bloody hideous. A street full of ugly lights that are way too big and dominant. You can see they're trying to make an effort but dressing up places that need to be levelled and rebuilt is a bit sad.

Kevin, I agree there are some horrible buildings in Blackpool but where is the money going to come from to demolish and rebuild them. Blackpool is improving slowly and surely by concentrating on key areas and using public money to rebuild public area's around our best buildings with the hope that landlords and building owners will match the public sector investment with investment of their own on surrounding buildings, that is a better use of public regeneration money, then just demolishing everything.

It doesn't happen over night but things are improving.

On another front this week, it's been announced that Wetherspoons are going to take over the old old Woolworths building and TJ Hughes are taking over the other old Woolworths building so the front is going to look alot better especially as more of the Prom is rebuilt.

The other bit of news that makes for a great week in Blackpool is the return of HotIce, a superb show and great night out:

Old February 6th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #118
PeteVincent82
Shabba!

Likes (Received): 335

An annual day trip to Blackpool was my only holiday as a child and I loved every second of it. The sights, sounds and smells were so exciting. It's when you go back as an adult those sights, sounds and smells are totally different....and not in a good way which makes me sad.

Would love to see Blackpool back to even close to it's hey day and without all the pissed up twatty stag and hen doo's. It beggars belief that some people can be so completely ignorant and destructive. I would die of emabarrasment if I was to even throw a bit of chewing gum on the floor.
Old March 1st, 2010, 08:03 PM   #119
Blackpool88

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishKevin View Post

Very constructive and insightful post there!
Blackpool88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 04:04 AM   #120
Zim Flyer
Rock Lord

Just a brief update.

The Talbot Gateway has recieved planning permission and construction will begin next year.
The final two headlands on the new Prom have recieved planning permission for a an international skateboarding, cycling and adventure playground and an international events area. The cost of completing the two headlands will be around £6 million and construction will begin in May.

The Palace Nightclub on the prom has a new owner and will be converted into an entertainment and restaurant complex which will be opened in August, they are spending 1.5 million on it.

A picture of the building can be found at:

www.flickr.com/photos/jules3000/2406640622

It will be known as The Sands Venue and will have shows, alot of jazz and alot of live music:

image hosted on flickr

TJ Hughes opened their new store next to the Tower on Tuesday:

(picture taken by Peter Mowbray from liveinblackpool.co.uk

The shop next door to TJ Hughes has new owners and will be opening up as a mens wear shop in the next month.

So all in all, Blackpool is having a good recession so far.

Last edited by Zim Flyer; March 18th, 2010 at 04:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
north west england