Should Birmingham Library "Stay" or "Go"? - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > The Lunar Society

The Lunar Society The Birmingham Metro Area Skybar

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should Birmingham's current library stay or go?
English Heritage should list it and find an alternative use 21 30.43%
Birmingham Council should demolish it and rebuild a new library close by 37 53.62%
I want to see exactly what would be built on the site of the current library first? 11 15.94%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:06 PM   #1
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Likes (Received): 19

Should Birmingham Library "Stay" or "Go"?

Quite simple really, this relates to the current Library which could possibly be listed as protected building by English Heritage. Plans are afoot to replace it with a futuristic modern piece of architecture on land in between the Rep and Baskerville House, the current site of the existing library would be used for modern offices or alike and possibly re-joining Chamberlain Square with Centenary Square.
Elizabeth Kinoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:15 PM   #2
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

I say "go" because my preferred option is for a new library and a Brindleyplace-esque development at Paradise
Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:28 PM   #3
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 496

I say retain the ziggurat and convert to a contemporary art gallery. Scrap away the rest.
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:38 PM   #4
Bachy Soletanche
Disco and drugs trade

Likes (Received): 3896

I want to see the new plans for the new Library, and I would like to see if it would actually be possible to build around the thing, it's not in the ideal position, and although the Chermbelin square is okey round the back it's a complete multilayer maze, could you make sense of all that?
"What do you thus rail at me, as if I had done such an heinous act, contrary to the nature of man? I tell you that if you did but know how pleasant the taste of man's flesh was, none of you all would forbear to eat it;"
Bachy Soletanche no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:46 PM   #5
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Provided we had some rough guide as to what will be rebuilt on current library land I also would say go... but this is quite important that we don't end up with something that is not beneficial to the average Brummie or visitor to the city.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:51 PM   #6
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

I think it would also bolster the Council's argument to demolish if we could see what we would be getting in place of the existing building... an argument for re integrating New Street into Broad Street... creating a perfect route for any future carnival or street parade etc
Old June 23rd, 2008, 09:54 PM   #7
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 272

Blow it! It's impractical and symbolic of an era in Birmingham's history which we need to move on from. Although, we should not rid all examples for this era - just the ones that restrict the progress of the city itself.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 10:54 PM   #8
Pompey77
Pompodian in Exile

Likes (Received): 94

None of those it should be preserved and continue to be Birminghams central library.
Pompey77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:07 PM   #9
Mercurius

Likes (Received): 243

English Heritage in disguise, English Heritage in disguise!
Mercurius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:10 PM   #10
Mercurius

Get rid of it, i don't know how, i don't know when but we need to remove this blot fromour city. Hopefully some biggies will appear in the redevelopment plans.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:11 PM   #11
hammerb24

Likes (Received): 102

I'm yet to hear a good argument for keeping it

'False media - we don't need it do we?'
hammerb24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:20 PM   #12
Pompey77
Pompodian in Exile

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurius View Post
Get rid of it, i don't know how, i don't know when but we need to remove this blot fromour city. Hopefully some biggies will appear in the redevelopment plans.
Is this the place for really tall buildings? They would loom over the council house and town hall ect and would probably have a worse effect on them than the library does atm. And no i do not support EH on the whole but in this case i sort of do.
Pompey77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 12:00 AM   #13
Ginger Tosser
#pragma

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by U475 Foxtrot View Post
I say retain the ziggurat and convert to a contemporary art gallery. Scrap away the rest.
Agreed.

Though, I fully expect to see a smiling Whitby at the controls of a wrecking ball.
Old June 24th, 2008, 12:11 AM   #14
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 530

I like walking through the library to Baskerville house, so I'd want the library building to stay even if it isn't used as a library. Building a new library elsewhere (but still close) would be a positive move.
Gherkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 12:18 AM   #15
Mercurius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompey77 View Post
Is this the place for really tall buildings? They would loom over the council house and town hall ect and would probably have a worse effect on them than the library does atm. And no i do not support EH on the whole but in this case i sort of do.
Yes, as previous council plans have been designed including tall towers. Even rumoured to be 1000footers but this is a bit exagerrated. In short yes it is. The Natwest tower proposal shows how you can build tall and still enhance the area's image.
Old June 24th, 2008, 12:21 AM   #16
Mercurius

Also Alpha Tower and the proposed V building are the same distance away if not a bit closer.
Old June 24th, 2008, 02:16 AM   #17
i_like_concrete
cockney sparrow

Likes (Received): 187

This building needs to be listed immediately.

You can say what you like about the central library but it is a million times more stark, noticeable and imposing than any generic office buildings that replace it will be.

This building is controversial, that's what makes it so great, the fact people are so passionate about it on both sides, who can be sure people like me won't ultimately prevail in our opinions on its brilliance? We just don't know, because controversy can sway opinions both ways, so why demolish it and then look back in 20 years time and realise we lost a defining building that could have stood as a monument to 70's architecture?

I think the architectural criticisms of this building are used (by the council in particular) to cover up the reality, which is that it will be cheaper for the council to sell off the land, see the library demolished and replaced with bland office buildings (that will no doubt be clad in those god awful terracotta tiles that seem to be taking over the world), and then offer some unimaginative traffic solutions than it would be to create a world class urban space which puts the library at its heart.
i_like_concrete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #18
brum2003

Likes (Received): 258

Yep, keep it, and rip out the awful Paradise Forum and reinstate the original open space...maybe use it for concerts and street theatre to attract people to admire the space. You could leave the roof on though !
brum2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 06:21 PM   #19
Mercurius

I think the building would look out of place with the new structures build around it. Thats why i think it is a decision that it either stays or gets replaced.
Old June 24th, 2008, 06:30 PM   #20
Blunther
Kebab Licker

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by U475 Foxtrot View Post
Absolutely. Get shot of all the crap around it, which will still open up the area, but keep the Zigazoid. Modern art... perfect.
Blunther no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
demolition, redevelopment