>Proposed | Ocean Reef Marina [Mixed Use] - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Archives

Old May 11th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #21
Johnvb

Likes (Received): 78

Yeah nice coastal nodal development.. pity its a million miles from the CBD. Serves a more local community purpose.
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #22
finn

Likes (Received): 2820

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastexjr View Post
That isn't quite true. It's true Carpenter (and approximately half the SSC forummers along with lesbian greenies) were against this project, but the majority of the general public were actually FOR this proposal, which is still on the cards I might add.
North Port Quay was a piece of shit proposal - I hope it never sees the light of day. This project is okay, but it would be good if can bring something different for Perth, rather than another Hillarys, Port Coogee copycat.
finn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #23
dallastexjr
I'm outta here

Likes (Received): 244

You're the second person to make a sweeping statement and declare it a piece of shit without saying why. You should qualify such a strong opinion, esp as the majority of Perth people were pro this project. Why is Ocean Reef a better development than North Port Quay? Without anger, please.
dallastexjr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2009, 05:37 PM   #24
dallastexjr
I'm outta here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet_85 View Post
it is just not Perth, wont go ahead. As for this. It is more Perth as it is simply a realistic project.

N Port Quay is like a concept car for Perth.
The developers behind this seem to think they still have a chance of building it.

What does 'it is just not Perth' mean exactly? Do you mean it's too radical?
Old May 12th, 2009, 04:10 AM   #25
samboy

Likes (Received): 864

I definitely don't think it's 'piece of shit' but the reason it will not see the light of day is because it's too ambitious (for Perth). simple. We're still arguing over DLS. baby steps
samboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 04:43 AM   #26
gotime

Likes (Received): 53

issues with north port quay:

* perth sprawls like few other cities. why create MORE land?
* environmentally its ridiculous (i don't believe all their environmental hype-credentials)
* design - appears to be a "gated-community" and i hate canal developments
gotime no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #27
aaronaugi1

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotime View Post
issues with north port quay:

* perth sprawls like few other cities. why create MORE land?
* environmentally its ridiculous (i don't believe all their environmental hype-credentials)
* design - appears to be a "gated-community" and i hate canal developments
* It's creating more "inner city" land. Wouldn't you prefer more "infill" development than sprawl?
* The environmental gearing was more towards sustainable energy (even wave energy was suggested wasn't it?) and public transport

btw, i am against the proposal also.
aaronaugi1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #28
BartBart
In the sweetspot

Likes (Received): 3139

Quote:
Originally Posted by samboy View Post
I definitely don't think it's 'piece of shit' but the reason it will not see the light of day is because it's too ambitious (for Perth). simple. We're still arguing over DLS. baby steps
After the vote we can turn our State's attentions on which method is best to mow the grass on the many kilometres of foreshore grass. I personally think because of the sheer amount of land taken up by the grass a ride on mower is essential - but feel free to suggest an alternative.
Old May 12th, 2009, 04:14 PM   #29
aaronaugi1

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartBart View Post
After the vote we can turn our State's attentions on which method is best to mow the grass on the many kilometres of foreshore grass. I personally think because of the sheer amount of land taken up by the grass a ride on mower is essential - but feel free to suggest an alternative.
Build some more towers and the over-shadowing will prevent it from growing. problem solved.
aaronaugi1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #30
Scraperfan
Single, looking to mingle

Likes (Received): 4398

guys i know this is marina related but can we keep chat in this thread to the merits of the ocean reef marina. this thread isnt north port quay MKII.
Scraperfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #31
Hornet_85

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraperfan View Post
guys i know this is marina related but can we keep chat in this thread to the merits of the ocean reef marina. this thread isnt north port quay MKII.
true. I think this is excellent as it is a realistic proposal that will have more than every chance to get off the ground and wont be a massive cost to developers to develop the land as opposed to the 'other' marina development...

plus it gives the City of Joondalup a destination.

this is exactly what Bond Corp would of envisioned to host the 1987 Americas Cup defense at (the old Ocean Reef plans were to host it of course) but time got away from them. and money of course
Hornet_85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 07:15 PM   #32
dallastexjr
I'm outta here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet_85 View Post
as opposed to the 'other' marina development...
What 'other' marina development are you talking about?

Say it. Saaaaay it...
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #33
jarkti
World's Happiest Person

Likes (Received): 803

[IMG]http://i42.************/zu4j2u.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by jarkti; May 13th, 2009 at 02:53 PM.
jarkti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #34
Hornet_85

Quote:

Say it. Saaaaay it...
well it doesnt exist and that will be the case. It will never eventuate.

this is what hillarys should expand on, but i think that Ocean Reef would be great in this proposal and Hillarys can be a kind of Brighton with the 'fair' and such. Shame they cannot reproduce the architecture like the pavillion and that.
Hornet_85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #35
Scrawny

Likes (Received): 594

Can't wait to compete in the hillarys to ocean reef swim through in a couple of years. ;-)
Scrawny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #36
BNE QLD

Quote:

Say it. Saaaaay it...
Which one?

I don't suppose after this one, in years to come the next Marinas will be built up at: 1 at Jindalee/Alkimos area and the 2nd up at Two Rocks/ Yanchep area; one of which will be built the same as Hillarys ? as the most northern coastal node - providing the freeway or railway gets up to Butler.

Mindarie could have been as big as this too? but never went that way... to me Mindarie looks fairly dense up there anyway but in a compact form in form of mostly apartments
BNE QLD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #37
dallastexjr
I'm outta here

From The West online...

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ntentID=141403

Marinas should be just the start

16th May 2009, 6:00 WST

The proposed $800 million Ocean Reef marina should act as a catalyst for a new generation of hotel developments along the Perth northern coast line, where hotel rooms are scant, according to a local property agent.

Peter Peard, chief executive of Peard Real Estate Group, which concentrates on the coastal market from Trigg to Quinns Rock, said Perth now had the opportunity to develop a niche tourism industry around the Hillarys, Ocean Reef and Mindarie marinas.

“Thousands of new employment opportunities could be created in the northern costal strip by developing the local tourism in the area,” he said.

“Even though the northern coastal line contains some of the most stunning beaches in the world, there are less than 200 hotel bedrooms north of Hillarys marina.”

He said hotel developments with a low environmental impact should be encouraged.

“Throughout the world, marina developments have been the catalyst for the tourism industry and the construction of new hotels and associated infrastructure,” Mr Peard said.

This trend would be highlighted by the opening later this year of the Marina Bay Sands development in Singapore, which would be a key plank in Singapore’s strategy of attracting 17 million tourists a year by 2015.

The City of Joondalup, which approved the Ocean Reef marina proposal last week, is sending the concept plan to all residents next week as part of its community consultation process.

The plan is to create a world-class commercial and recreational marina on 91ha over land and water at the Ocean Reef boat harbour.

The transformation would result in new commercial and retail space, including three five to nine-storey buildings, 125 short-stay apartments, a four to five-star hotel or resort, 585 residential dwellings, markets, 850 boat pens, an artificial reef, Bondi-style ocean pool, two internal beaches and a children’s water playground.

Mr Peard said it had been estimated by Access Economics that during 2006-07, the tourism industry in WA sustained about 80,000 jobs and contributed more than $6 billion to the State economy.

With unemployment predicted to be above 8 per cent because of the slowdown in the resources sector, now was the time to develop further the tourism industry along the northern beach line.

“The State Government, combined with the local government and private sector, needs to develop a co-ordinated plan to develop tourism infrastructure in the areas such as new construction of new hotels which will benefit the local community,” Mr Peard said.

“A similar strategy was recently developed by the WA Tourism Commission and Property Council to encourage the construction of new hotels in the Perth CBD area and thereby support the local economy.”

The Ocean Reef marina plan has been backed by the State Government, tourism industry leaders and thousands of local residents.

The council expects a big part of the marina could be built in five to 10 years.

CATHY SAUNDERS
Old May 17th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #38
[email protected]
BANNED

Likes (Received): 13

thats exactly the same shit as the scanned article above.
GOR@N no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 01:20 PM   #39
Skyline Art
®

Likes (Received): 1409

so it is too, exact same... just the online version date is different to the paper i take it.....
Skyline Art no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #40
dallastexjr
I'm outta here

Lol I thought it was odd that nobody had posted it - Christ I only had to scroll up the page lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ocean reef, redevelopment