Curzon Street HS2 Railway Station - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 24th, 2020, 05:33 PM   #1
rockrocky

Likes (Received): 304

Curzon Street HS2 Railway Station

The planning app for the new HS2 station is finally in.

Quote:
Application Number 2020/00602/PA
Application Type High Speed Rail (London to West Midlands) Act 2017
Site Address Land bounded by Curzon Street, Eastside Park & Moor Street Queensway Birmingham B4
Proposal Application under Schedule 17 of the High-Speed Rail (London to West Midlands) Act 2017 for a new station comprising concourses, roof, viaduct, platforms, earthworks, permanent lighting and all other associated works
Quote:
Application Number 2020/00601/PA
Application Type High Speed Rail (London to West Midlands) Act 2017
Site Address Land bounded by Curzon Street, Eastside Park & Moor Street Queensway Birmingham B4
Proposal Application under Schedule 17 of the High Speed Rail (London to West Midlands) Act 2017 for new public realm hard and soft landscaping works

Last edited by RalphGuy; January 24th, 2020 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Tidying up copied post for starting new thread
rockrocky está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2020, 05:46 PM   #2
Hasaandoo

Likes (Received): 2284

Finally I’ve been waiting for this thanks you soooo muchhhhh

RalphGuy liked this post
Hasaandoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2020, 05:56 PM   #3
passiv

Likes (Received): 427

Planning Applications for Curzon Street station have landed on Birmingham's Council's web site.

App. numbers 2020/00602/PA (station) & 2020/00601/PA (landscaping) if links don't work...

https://eplanning.birmingham.gov.uk/...DAURI=PLANNING

RalphGuy, Hasaandoo liked this post
passiv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2020, 06:07 PM   #4
WarwickDan

Likes (Received): 2576

Renders purlease...

Bureau des etrangers liked this post
WarwickDan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2020, 06:15 PM   #5
Bureau des etrangers
Jersey's finest

Likes (Received): 3966

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarwickDan View Post
Renders purlease...
There is a video floating around on the transport forum mate. Not sure if they are the most up to date designs though.
Old January 24th, 2020, 06:24 PM   #6
Hasaandoo

Quote:
Renders purlease...

https://youtu.be/yxeSY7o7CTI
Old January 24th, 2020, 06:26 PM   #7
WarwickDan

Likes (Received): 2576

Cheers both!

Hasaandoo liked this post
WarwickDan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2020, 06:35 PM   #8
passiv

Likes (Received): 427

Quote:
Renders purlease...
I haven't had chance to read the documents yet, but typically there's plenty of renders in the "Design & Access Statements" docs. supporting such applications.
passiv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2020, 06:53 PM   #9
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 6245

Can't wait for Tom Lewis, QH Smith and Hubo Moss to arrive.

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON ~ BIRMINGHAM 2022

Hasaandoo, Curzon, ComPurch, danjames liked this post
DBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2020, 10:06 PM   #10
PerpetualBrum
YIMBY

Likes (Received): 17019

HS2 resumes search for contractor to build £571m Birmingham station

Quote:
HS2 has restarted its search for a contractor to build the £571m Curzon Street station in the heart of Birmingham. It has increased the value of the project by £136m seven months after it cancelled its previous procurement process.

Last June the railway scrapped the proposed deal, which was then worth £435m, after concluding that it needed to rethink its approach to risk.

It said it would launch a “revised strategy” for the Grimshaw Architects-designed scheme, under which less risk will be passed on to the station’s design and build contractor.

It added: “HS2 has recognised the current market conditions are challenging and the increasing concern regarding risk transfer. We wanted to revise our position to provide a better balance and overall outcome.

The search for a contractor is now underway again and the value of the deal has risen by 31%.

In a contract notice published to the Official Journal this morning HS2 said the contract would run until January 2028.

“The contractor will be appointed to design and build the new Midlands station to budget and programme, including detailed design, construction and commissioning and associated works and services.

“As well as awarding the contract, HS2 Ltd will also enter into a framework agreement with unsuccessful tenderers whose technical submissions at ITT [invitation to tender] stage achieve a minimum threshold evaluation score.”

HS2 said it would reserve the right “to step-in and rescue and step-out or to step-in to the contractor’s appointment following a termination and to step-in to subcontracts as employer”.

Firms have until 12 March to register their interest. Four or five shortlisted bidders are due to be notified by 1 July.

It was revealed this week that Laing O’Rourke was interested in bidding for the Curzon Street project.

Contracts have already been awarded on HS2’s London stations. A Mace/Dragados team is working on Euston and a joint venture between Balfour Beatty and Vinci has the contract for Old Oak Common.

In November HS2 began to test the waters with contractors interested in building HS2’s Interchange station in the West Midlands, announcing that it would start the race for works in May.

Procurement for work on the track and overhead system and for tunnel and lineside M&E work was also paused to allow the railway to revise its approach to risk – something it has now done, according to the National Audit Office.

In a report released this morning the public spending watchdog said contractors had been contractually obliged to cover 60% of any cost increases above a target price, but HS2 has now changed this.

“To incentivise contractors to deliver, HS2 will agree performance indicators, including on cost and schedule,” the watchdog said.

“If contractors do not meet the required performance, they will lose a proportion of their fee. HS2 has provided contractors with the potential to claw back lost fee payments if they can demonstrate improved performance.”

The independent review of HS2 carried out by Doug Oakervee is set to be published next month.

PerpetualBrum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2020, 01:21 AM   #11
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Likes (Received): 915

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualBrum View Post
HS2 resumes search for contractor to build £571m Birmingham station
Would Skanska ever get involved in a project like this? I see their name a lot on mainland Europe but only really see their name in London here in the UK. Sir Robert McAlpine perhaps?

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2020, 05:48 PM   #12
Brum X

Likes (Received): 19497

Planning Applications for Curzon Street station have landed on Birmingham's Council's web site.

App. numbers 2020/00602/PA (station) & 2020/00601/PA (landscaping) if links don't work...

Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2020, 08:28 PM   #13
Route 435

Likes (Received): 338

Reckon they'll keep the pub that would lie under the planned line? I know it was possibly going to be incorporated into the station but would probably add another 1% onto HS2s cost!?

birmingstrong liked this post
Route 435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2020, 11:05 PM   #14
daumal

Likes (Received): 665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 435 View Post
Reckon they'll keep the pub that would lie under the planned line? I know it was possibly going to be incorporated into the station but would probably add another 1% onto HS2s cost!?
I think they're both gone now. The one that looked like it might be saved was the Eagle and Tun on New Canal Street, but I understand that's going as well - in fact, it might even have closed a few weeks back.

I agree with you, anyway. Overall the station looks great but I'm worried about New Canal Street - a sensitively restored Eagle and Tun could have worked well as the centrepiece of a lively row of units under the viaduct, but as it is I'm concerned about the amount of dead space.
As revealed to St John the Divine.
daumal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2020, 11:05 PM   #15
Bear Would Ian
BWI

Likes (Received): 648

It's only briefly mentioned twice in the docs that I could find so I presume it's definitely being demolished.
Bear Would Ian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2020, 10:26 PM   #16
Billsmothers

Likes (Received): 1798

I've been guilty of taking the Curzon One thread (about a high-rise proposal near the HS2 ststion which was fleetingly glimpsed and is now dead) way off topic.

The proposal was located on a site which is owned by the city and which the city doesn't want to sell - it was suggested, because it may be planning a redevelopment of Millennium Point.

I chipped in by recalling that a couple of years ago I was told by a member of the council that there were plans to demolish MP. At that time I'd also just been told by another source that Birmingham Museums Trust was planning a new museum of science and industry to replace Thinktank, which is evidently not regarded as a great success.

Cue a general diatribe from me on the shortcomings of TT, with a generally sympathetic response from several other posters.

I'm now bringing this discussion back to this thread, because in continuing to work my way through the encyclopaedic Design & Access document for the new station I came across the following in the section on art & heritage:

"Consideration should be made to Birmingham Museums’
proposal for wayfinding through artefacts, especially industrial
objects (e.g. manufacturing machinery) drawn from their collection.
These could provide landmarks for meeting places, as well as
wayfinding, especially towards the new museum of science and
industry, superseding Thinktank, proposed for a nearby location in
Digbeth. This partnership would be compatible with the Art Strategy’s
acknowledgment of heritage – i.e. the marriage of Art and Industry."

So, confirmation that a new science museum is being planned to replace Thinktank, and more speculation as to where in Digbeth it might be located. The inclusion of this reference here implies that these plans are quite well advanced and that a site has indeed been identified.
Old February 1st, 2020, 10:42 PM   #17
ComPurch

Likes (Received): 1011

The site may be shovel ready but you've been doing your own digging, you scamp.
ComPurch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2020, 11:06 PM   #18
Hasaandoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billsmothers View Post
I've been guilty of taking the Curzon One thread (about a high-rise proposal near the HS2 ststion which was fleetingly glimpsed and is now dead) way off topic.

The proposal was located on a site which is owned by the city and which the city doesn't want to sell - it was suggested, because it may be planning a redevelopment of Millennium Point.

I chipped in by recalling that a couple of years ago I was told by a member of the council that there were plans to demolish MP. At that time I'd also just been told by another source that Birmingham Museums Trust was planning a new museum of science and industry to replace Thinktank, which is evidently not regarded as a great success.

Cue a general diatribe from me on the shortcomings of TT, with a generally sympathetic response from several other posters.

I'm now bringing this discussion back to this thread, because in continuing to work my way through the encyclopaedic Design & Access document for the new station I came across the following in the section on art & heritage:

"Consideration should be made to Birmingham Museums’
proposal for wayfinding through artefacts, especially industrial
objects (e.g. manufacturing machinery) drawn from their collection.
These could provide landmarks for meeting places, as well as
wayfinding, especially towards the new museum of science and
industry, superseding Thinktank, proposed for a nearby location in
Digbeth. This partnership would be compatible with the Art Strategy’s
acknowledgment of heritage – i.e. the marriage of Art and Industry."

So, confirmation that a new science museum is being planned to replace Thinktank, and more speculation as to where in Digbeth it might be located. The inclusion of this reference here implies that these plans are quite well advanced and that a site has indeed been identified.

We defo need a proper science/Birmingham museum we got so much to talk about, and right outside HS2. You can’t get any better tbh

Kingsheathen liked this post
Hasaandoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2020, 01:13 AM   #19
Billsmothers

Likes (Received): 1798

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComPurch View Post
The site may be shovel ready but you've been doing your own digging, you scamp.
Yes, I used to dig for a living: "scamp" is a good word for it.

ComPurch liked this post
Billsmothers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2020, 05:37 AM   #20
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Likes (Received): 915

Bland AF.

DISAPPOINTMENT

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement