Glasgow | Offices | News & Developments - Page 132 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum > Glasgow Metro Area

Glasgow Metro Area Architecture, Design and Urban Issues in Glasgow

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 106 votes, 5.00 average.
Old December 5th, 2019, 05:03 PM   #2621
Zio Marcla

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhouston View Post
It completely sucks the life out of me that building. It has a low budget feel about it and stands out really badly too in that black facade in my opinion plus the smaller windows on it look really cheap and tacky as well. I genuinely get more joy looking at the Savoy centre to be honest.
Let me tell you, I work on the 9th floor of the Savoy tower and I have a pretty good view of the city centre from my desk, the best thing about it being that the Savoy centre is not in it!

I gotta say I don't mind the Citizen M building, I like the black facade and honestly looking that direction from the window it's by far one of the nicest buildings - not that this says a lot given that the surroundings are pretty grim apart from a couple of buildings.
Zio Marcla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2019, 05:07 PM   #2622
Abhouston

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zio Marcla View Post
Let me tell you, I work on the 9th floor of the Savoy tower and I have a pretty good view of the city centre from my desk, the best thing about it being that the Savoy centre is not in it!

I gotta say I don't mind the Citizen M building, I like the black facade and honestly looking that direction from the window it's by far one of the nicest buildings - not that this says a lot given that the surroundings are pretty grim apart from a couple of buildings.
I wasn't complementing the Savoy, I just hate the Citizen M building that much, sucks the life out of me.
Abhouston no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2019, 05:13 PM   #2623
Abhouston

I just don't get how people can call this new office proposal dull and boring then praise the Citizen M building, it boggles my mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2019, 05:18 PM   #2624
JohnTw

Likes (Received): 1315

Amazing how people see buildings so differently.
JohnTw está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2019, 05:57 PM   #2625
sds

Likes (Received): 453

I'm very okay with the Citizen M build, and I stay there reasonably frequently. But I'd be happier if it faded into the background next to something exciting.
sds no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2019, 06:12 PM   #2626
Abhouston

Maybe it just looks decent because it's on Renfrew street where half the buildings need demolishing.
Old December 5th, 2019, 06:49 PM   #2627
Roddy_

Likes (Received): 2758

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTw View Post
Amazing how people see buildings so differently.
Indeed - easily the least bad thing on Renfrew St. And in comparison to the proposed designs on adjacent sites , superior in many respects.
Roddy_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2019, 09:35 PM   #2628
Due East

Likes (Received): 1409

Black is definitely a good colour for Glasgow.

The Dakota hotel, that building on the south side of Bothwell St as you come off the M8.

More please.

Charlie_ liked this post
Due East no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2019, 10:40 PM   #2629
JohnTw

This infill house in the west end: https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/g...nique-17343564

Black does work well in Glasgow but it's all down to the detailing. The Dakota and the Citizen M both benefit from really nice windows. The former old fashioned warehouse type windows and the latter working with deep insets and cool internal lighting that makes the building feel warm, as well as nice artwork on the facade that complements the hotel logo, drawing the eye up - saying "reception is up this way, come on in".

The finest blocks that went up in Laurieston were the dark grey blocks. But I think they work because the whole area isn't in the same style. The red blocks that line the street work well alongside these darker buildings.

A colour that doesn't work too well here is white, although that's mainly down to the materials. On the cheapest buildings it ends up stained and ugly. Hopefully the City of Glasgow College on Cathedral Street will weather well.

Architects need to relearn how to top buildings off too - lets not have any more top floors made of zinc.

Craigery, Barony, gweilo, milton liked this post
Old December 9th, 2019, 02:11 PM   #2630
milton
Use your words

Likes (Received): 1570

Quote:
I quite like that. Awful kitchen though.

Add the old Herald building and this treat on Ingram Street to the list.

JohnTw liked this post
milton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2019, 04:11 PM   #2631
dadabouttown

Likes (Received): 1283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Due East View Post
Black is definitely a good colour for Glasgow.
Made me think of the black woodwork on lots of beautiful Glasgow terraces tenements and villas. I really associate it with Glasgow. Something you just don't see much of at all in the East of Scotland but which I think works really well.
dadabouttown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2019, 06:00 PM   #2632
Steppish

Likes (Received): 1840

don't see many requests to turn city centre restaurants into offices. Is it just a bad location or something?

https://reglasgow.com/change-of-use-...ue-restaurant/
Steppish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2019, 06:31 PM   #2633
Charlie_
User

Likes (Received): 8788

Reject, reject
Charlie_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2019, 06:39 PM   #2634
allanglens

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steppish View Post
don't see many requests to turn city centre restaurants into offices. Is it just a bad location or something?

https://reglasgow.com/change-of-use-...ue-restaurant/
To be honest, there are probably too many restaurants in some areas of the city centre. And this is the ground floor of a modern office building.

The landlords probably have a tenant lined up, hence the application. Although if it is for a change of use to Class 2 (professional / financial), rather than Class 4 (office) - why does it need planning permission? You can usually move down the classes (3 to 1 or 2; 2 to 1) without consent. Unless (as is probably the case) I am missing something!
allanglens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2019, 08:39 PM   #2635
Sannox

Likes (Received): 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanglens View Post
To be honest, there are probably too many restaurants in some areas of the city centre. And this is the ground floor of a modern office building.

The landlords probably have a tenant lined up, hence the application. Although if it is for a change of use to Class 2 (professional / financial), rather than Class 4 (office) - why does it need planning permission? You can usually move down the classes (3 to 1 or 2; 2 to 1) without consent. Unless (as is probably the case) I am missing something!
Very often when doing the legals things like that need certified. Nothing more than a tick box.

Oh and I happen to think that is a poor location of the city for footfall (due to how the grid meets Buchanan Street) but also there isn't the demand for restaurants.
Sannox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2019, 08:56 PM   #2636
JohnTw

It's such a large space. Splitting it in two would help independent businesses take on the challenge. I don't think there can be too many restaurants, but the market would decide whether they're successful or not. Maybe people are fed up with more bland mass-market restaurants? Restaurants that do quality food, quality service tend to do well in the city.

anonymous_redrum liked this post
Old December 9th, 2019, 09:34 PM   #2637
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Likes (Received): 757

The problem is even small spaces can be too expensive for independents in new builds.
Old December 10th, 2019, 12:51 AM   #2638
Sergeant Pluck

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by milton View Post
I quite like that. Awful kitchen though.

Add the old Herald building and this treat on Ingram Street to the list.
I'm glad someone mentioned the Ingram St one 👍
Sergeant Pluck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2019, 12:54 AM   #2639
Sergeant Pluck

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
It's such a large space. Splitting it in two would help independent businesses take on the challenge. I don't think there can be too many restaurants, but the market would decide whether they're successful or not. Maybe people are fed up with more bland mass-market restaurants? Restaurants that do quality food, quality service tend to do well in the city.
It is a large space John. I used to catch the bus home from work outside Smoke and at one time it used to be extremely busy but over time it was noticeable that custom seemed to drop off. I guess they needed all those covers to make the place pay.
Sergeant Pluck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2019, 02:57 PM   #2640
The Boy David

Likes (Received): 1284

It is a large space - I work in the office above it just now. Smoke was busy until everyone realised that pulled pork burgers and average quality bbq'd meats were not the holy grail of dining after-all, and moved onto more interesting things. It was just such a profoundly average experience, in the wrong place, that the whole thing was never going to work.

As much as I'd love another restaurant to take it's place, it's a terrible location for one. Giraffe over the road failed, coffee roasters next door failed, Doner Haus is only succeeding because it is truly excellent.

As you say Sergeant Pluck, would be better if they could split the unit up, half the commitment and get two small independent food/retailers in; Laboratorio in the same building is doing extremely well because it's small and serves fantastic coffee to a specific market.

Sergeant Pluck liked this post
The Boy David no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: