MINNEAPOLIS General Topics & Citywide Issues - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Minneapolis-Saint Paul

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 2nd, 2016, 09:49 PM   #1
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5264

MINNEAPOLIS General Topics & Citywide Issues

Welcome to 2016!

Looking for older projects? Visit Minneapolis Development Archive 2006 - 2015

Untitled by spectre 000, on Flickr

Last edited by Major Deegan; January 8th, 2016 at 09:37 AM.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2016, 04:26 PM   #2
creamcityleo79
Urbangeopolitiphile

Likes (Received): 573

No one has mentioned this, that I've seen. But, there is a large infill development being constructed on the NW corner of Broadway and Penn and N Minneapolis. Prior to this, it was a very large lot that was part asphalt and part field. The development takes up almost the whole lot (very large) and is called Broadway Flats. It seems like it will have some retail on the main floor and residential on the upper floors (maybe some commercial). The sheer scope of this could be catalytic for this neighborhood!

The view from behind looking SE toward the corner of Broadway and Penn:

Picture from
http://www.broadwayflats.com/

Looking NW:

Picture from http://finance-commerce.com/files/20...ng-600x330.jpg
creamcityleo79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2016, 06:41 PM   #3
CPAcs

Likes (Received): 157

Maybe nobody mentions it because its just another affordable housing complex in the ghetto? and the retail going in is the same dumpy liquor store on the site already that is constantly shot up and robbed. Really catalytic.
CPAcs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2016, 06:53 PM   #4
Somnifor
Paradise Island

Likes (Received): 4074

It is good to see some development on the north side.
Somnifor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2016, 07:00 PM   #5
John Nicollet Mall

Likes (Received): 1955

It's an excellent project and will be great asset to the neighborhood. This is their website:
http://www.broadwayflats.com/index.aspx
John Nicollet Mall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2016, 07:43 PM   #6
creamcityleo79
Urbangeopolitiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPAcs View Post
Maybe nobody mentions it because its just another affordable housing complex in the ghetto? and the retail going in is the same dumpy liquor store on the site already that is constantly shot up and robbed. Really catalytic.

This is a development forum...not a place for you to spew racist, classist garbage. It's a great project for the North side! Deal with it.
Old January 4th, 2016, 07:46 PM   #7
nasa35

Likes (Received): 595

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamcityleo79 View Post
This is a development forum...not a place for you to spew racist, classist garbage. It's a great project for the North side! Deal with it.
You made the race comment; no one else did. Stop this crap.
nasa35 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2016, 07:50 PM   #8
Avian001
Mostly Sane

Likes (Received): 1606

Quote:
So we should only build luxury highrises in "the ghetto?" Or maybe your point is that we shouldn't bother talking about development in a poor part of town?
Old January 4th, 2016, 08:13 PM   #9
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5264

I for one just appreciate hearing news about less flashy projects. Thanks for the update.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2016, 08:50 PM   #10
nasa35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian001 View Post
So we should only build luxury highrises in "the ghetto?" Or maybe your point is that we shouldn't bother talking about development in a poor part of town?
Totally agree, this is a nice project. When I was a kid I lived in the "ghetto", this could jump start other projects if it's successful.
Old January 4th, 2016, 09:15 PM   #11
creamcityleo79
Urbangeopolitiphile

Thanks guys! I'll try to snap a picture of the progress next time I'm over there. It's quite the project when you compare to the scale of the surrounding buildings. Also, I do understand that this area is seen by some as "the ghetto". But, within a few blocks on that strip of Broadway you do have some nice community businesses, a theater that puts on plays and musicals, and other affordable housing projects that are kept up nicely. The area does have some crime. But, even in the time I've lived near there, it's gotten a lot better. There is, for sure, work to be done. But, it does seem to be getting better...and this project just enhances the appeal of the area.
Old January 4th, 2016, 10:19 PM   #12
Jennifat
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2980

I think the perception that North Minneapolis is a "ghetto" is extremely overblown from a regional standpoint.

Most American cities would be absolutely ecstatic if their roughest neighborhoods were like North Minneapolis.
Jennifat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2016, 12:01 AM   #13
CPAcs

Oh good, it looks like I pissed off the PC police. Excellent.

While the renderings may make this project seem "Pretty" or "catalytic" for the area, its still subsidized affordable housing and that's a BIG problem for the area. Why? After all white liberals love to tell us that government funded affordable housing is great for poor black areas of the city, right? After all, it's done so well holding off the evil gentrification of the area.

Well that view is becoming outdated fast. The consequences after 50 years of well-intentioned government meddling are becoming apparent and the ones who suffer the most are exactly the people these developments are trying to help. But don't take my word for it, listen to the DFL legislature who helped create the modern metropolitan council.

https://www.minnpost.com/politics-po...licies-and-edu

Think about it. North Minneapolis is already an area poorer than the rest of the city and metro, with a high concentration of racial minorities (there's even a technical term for this, racially concentrated area of poverty or RCAP). This has spill over effects in worse educational outcomes and higher crime rates (hence the "ghetto" moniker). And yet, you think the thing to improve the area is having the city and met council come in and build an apartment complex on a prime corner where the only people allowed are those that make 50% of the median area income in an area that already has a low MAI?

So please, spare me the fake outrage. Just because someone disagrees with your worldview doesn't mean it's for no reason. But I guess its easier to call them racist, bigot, evil neocon or whatever makes you feel superior than to try seeing it from their side.
Old January 5th, 2016, 12:17 AM   #14
munchymunch
Minneapolis==>Chicago

Likes (Received): 1186

Old January 5th, 2016, 12:40 AM   #15
John Nicollet Mall

Likes (Received): 1955

I get the impression that Broadway Flats is for neither the rich or poor, but rather to create good quality housing for working people with modest/moderate incomes (regardless of race). This is exactly the type of project we need more of in this city. To retaining and attract that demographic to live in the inner city is key to helping Minneapolis continue to be vibrant and stable.
John Nicollet Mall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2016, 03:51 AM   #16
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 1040

The pdf was quite informative.

*And Major D., just leave the angry man's post up. - spectre000
Mplsuptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2016, 02:43 PM   #17
fitz66

Likes (Received): 24

Someone's a pessimistic Burbite. The Northside is great, with great people and a great culture...you probably wouldn't do well there.
fitz66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2016, 03:19 PM   #18
nasa35

Quote:
Oh good, it looks like I pissed off the PC police. Excellent.

While the renderings may make this project seem "Pretty" or "catalytic" for the area, its still subsidized affordable housing and that's a BIG problem for the area. Why? After all white liberals love to tell us that government funded affordable housing is great for poor black areas of the city, right? After all, it's done so well holding off the evil gentrification of the area.

Well that view is becoming outdated fast. The consequences after 50 years of well-intentioned government meddling are becoming apparent and the ones who suffer the most are exactly the people these developments are trying to help. But don't take my word for it, listen to the DFL legislature who helped create the modern metropolitan council.

https://www.minnpost.com/politics-po...licies-and-edu

Think about it. North Minneapolis is already an area poorer than the rest of the city and metro, with a high concentration of racial minorities (there's even a technical term for this, racially concentrated area of poverty or RCAP). This has spill over effects in worse educational outcomes and higher crime rates (hence the "ghetto" moniker). And yet, you think the thing to improve the area is having the city and met council come in and build an apartment complex on a prime corner where the only people allowed are those that make 50% of the median area income in an area that already has a low MAI?

So please, spare me the fake outrage. Just because someone disagrees with your worldview doesn't mean it's for no reason. But I guess its easier to call them racist, bigot, evil neocon or whatever makes you feel superior than to try seeing it from their side.
I have to agree with you on this. Regardless of opinions, to call you a racist and bigot is cowardly and completely, intellectually void. Someone owes you an apology.
Old January 5th, 2016, 04:43 PM   #19
Avian001
Mostly Sane

Likes (Received): 1606

Quote:
Just to be clear, I certainly am not outraged by your post nor have I ever called anyone names. Your original post clearly (and cynically, BTW) asked why anyone would want to talk about an affordable building in "the ghetto" and I think the general response has been "why not?" You might not want to talk about it but there are those of us who do.

You make some good points. And that's why we need to continue the conversation.
Old January 5th, 2016, 06:00 PM   #20
CPAcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian001 View Post
Just to be clear, I certainly am not outraged by your post nor have I ever called anyone names. Your original post clearly (and cynically, BTW) asked why anyone would want to talk about an affordable building in "the ghetto" and I think the general response has been "why not?" You might not want to talk about it but there are those of us who do.

You make some good points. And that's why we need to continue the conversation.
No, that part was not directed at you. You did not immediately jump down my throat with the name calling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement