Conservation, Reintroduction and Rewilding Efforts Around the Globe. - Page 11 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Space, Science & Technology

Space, Science & Technology shaping tomorrow's world

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 9th, 2019, 02:21 AM   #201
GodIsNotGreat

Likes (Received): 1296

"There is no place in the brain for your soul to be hiding."
- Sam Harris

Kantus_Y liked this post
GodIsNotGreat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2019, 10:59 PM   #202
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 7465

Pretty cool. An extinct animal and a mythical animal... are real!
Quote:
The Earth is on the brink of a sixth major extinction event, with animals dying off at an alarming rate. But it’s not all bad news – scientists have now re-discovered a species that has long been missing. The silver-backed chevrotain, a tiny deer-like creature that hasn’t been seen in the wild in almost 30 years, has now been captured alive and well on camera traps in Vietnam.

The silver-backed chevrotain, also known as the Vietnam mouse-deer or Tragulus versicolor, is about the size of a rabbit but looks like a weird cross between a mouse and a deer – hence its name. It’s one of the smallest members of the even-toed ungulate family, which includes deer, pigs, llamas, sheep and giraffes, among others.
source

Does it grow antlers? If it does the Jakalope is REAL!!!
Old November 23rd, 2019, 04:37 PM   #203
sepul

Likes (Received): 2557

Distressing day for Malaysian conservation and Malaysian wildlife overall..
Rhinos are officially extinct from Malaysian forests.

Farewell Iman..

End of life diary of rhinos in Malaysia ��

1. Javan rhinos, extinct from Malaysia (peninsula) due to British colonization (hunted down by colonial officers to extinction)

2. Sumatran rhinos in peninsular Malaysia, extinct due to deforestation and a botched conservation effort (Sungai Dusun tragedy).

3. Bornean subspecies of Sumatran rhinos in Malaysian Borneo, extinct due to forest fragmentation for palm oil and poaching.
sepul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2019, 04:43 PM   #204
sepul

Likes (Received): 2557

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBlackMarble View Post
Pretty cool. An extinct animal and a mythical animal... are real!

Does it grow antlers? If it does the Jakalope is REAL!!!
A related species of these Vietnamese mouse deer are found all over Malaysia. There are several mouse deer species, all of them of similar size and have the same coat.My father used to keep several of them as pets, but released them back as they are considered protected species. But of course a lot of things in Vietnam are extinct or nearing extinction. That’s why Malaysian forests are so full of foreign poachers, majority of them are Vietnamese, who now are looking to poach animals in Malaysia next since they had already hunted down theirs to total obliteration

And no, they don’t grow antlers. All species of the mouse deers grow tusk-like canines instead.
sepul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2019, 09:19 PM   #205
el palmesano
Roquetero

Likes (Received): 26907

terrible news form malaysia...
Old November 28th, 2019, 07:31 AM   #206
CanadianDemon

Likes (Received): 387

I would just like to say that I am honestly shocked that I started this thread in 2013 and people are still commenting lol

Yellow Fever, Swede liked this post
CanadianDemon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2019, 08:05 AM   #207
Yellow Fever
A Touch of Grey

Likes (Received): 81295

Because we have so few members here that we can't afford to delete any thread. Lol

Welcome back Demon!
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2019, 08:10 AM   #208
CanadianDemon

Likes (Received): 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Because we have so few members here that we can't afford to delete any thread. Lol

Welcome back Demon!
Thanks! I definitely feel that has happened to almost all internet forums, especially with the rise of Reddit and Tumblr. What's keeping you around here?
Old November 28th, 2019, 08:21 AM   #209
Yellow Fever
A Touch of Grey

Likes (Received): 81295

Its very true to what you've said, skyscrapers forums are all dying slowly and old dude like me has nothing better to do and therefore will die with this sinking ship together. Lol
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2020, 09:08 AM   #210
cis logos
Cis Indische (2011-2018)

Likes (Received): 2239

A strong image like this could gain people's attention on conservation effort more than a lengthy discussion.

Heartwarming Moment as Kind Orangutan Reaches Out Hand to Save Man’s Life in Snake-infested Water

Quote:
An orangutan at a conservation forest in Indonesia was photographed stretching out its hand to a warden, in a photo that has gone viral worldwide. The striking pictures were taken in a conservation forest area in Borneo, where the endangered species are protected from hunters.

The gentle creature appears to be leaning down and offering a helping hand to the man who had been in the muddy river searching for snakes – many of which pose a threat to primates.

Amateur photographer Anil Prabhakar, from Indonesia, had been out trekking with friends in the area while on safari when he spotted the touching encounter taking place. He later found out that the unnamed man worked for the Borneo Orangutan Survival Foundation, a non-profit organization aimed at protecting the endangered species.

The worker, submerged up to his chest in the water, had been clearing away snakes from the area to help keep the orangutans safe before his inquisitive animal friend interrupted him. Mr. Prabhakar said that there was a report of snakes in that area, so the warden came over and he’s clearing snakes. “I saw an orangutan come very close to him and just offer him his hand,” he added.

According to Prabhakar, it was difficult for the guard to move in the muddy, flowing water. It seemed as if the orangutan was saying, “May I help you”? to the man. This was an unexpectedly emotional moment. Mr. Prabhakar revealed the worker ended up refusing the orangutan’s hand after the camera caught the incredible moment in a picture because it’s a wild animal.

The Borneo Orangutan Survival Foundation is an Indonesian non-profit organization founded in 1991. It is “dedicated to the conservation of the Bornean orangutan and its habitat,” working in cooperation with local communities, the Indonesian Ministry of Forestry and international partner organizations. The foundation, which has 400 members of staff, is currently taking care of almost 650 orangutans. Orangutans are an iconic species of Indonesia and an important umbrella species.

The website says: “As one of our closest living relatives’ orangutans are highly intelligent, sentient beings.” The apes are brought to the conservation forest if they are injured, at risk from hunters, or facing the destruction of their habitats. Once they are healthy, they are returned to the wild.

By protecting orangutans in their natural habitat, a whole plethora of other flora and fauna are also protected. Protecting their forest habitat is as important to humans as much as it is to wildlife.

redcode, Bond James Bond, Clery, lmpanp liked this post
cis logos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2020, 06:27 PM   #211
Marsupalami

Likes (Received): 1065

When will the users of eastern medicine realize that animal horn is basically finger nails, and that they are simply cursed with small d**ks and nothing will change that!?

Swede liked this post
Marsupalami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement