Sudan Nuclear power plant deal signed with China - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Sudan > Business, Economy and Infrastructure

Old May 25th, 2016, 02:04 AM   #1
Northern Sudanese

Likes (Received): 823

Sudan Nuclear power plant deal signed with China

China Signs Deal With Sudan To Build A Nuclear Power Plant

The Chinese government has signed a deal with Sudan, an African country with questionable human rights history, to help it build a nuclear power plant for “peaceful use”, Xinhua reported on Tuesday.
This will be the first nuclear energy station for Sudan that could help the North-Eastern African nation meet its growing energy need, while China steps towards increasing its technological footprint on the continent.
Demand for energy in the African country is expected to reach 8,500 megawatts by 2031. It currently has a capacity of about 3,025 megawatts.
The deal was signed during a three day visit by China’s director of National Energy Administration, Nur Bekri.
It also addressed how to overcome challenges facing other power projects financed by the Asian country, including Al-Fula power station and the Kordofan power line.
Bloomberg reported that the reactor, which is expected to have a power capacity of little over 3,000 megawatts, would be built by the China National Nuclear Corp. (CNNC).
Sudan plans to start building its first nuclear power plant, that will include two 600 megawatt pressurized water reactors, in 2021 and start commercial operation by 2027, a presentation by the country to the International Atomic Energy Agency last year showed.
China is on an aggressive plan to expand its atomic technology as part of a global lean energy race and is looking to export at least 30 homegrown nuclear units by 2030, CNNC said in March.

MENA55, kebedew liked this post
Northern Sudanese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2016, 03:52 PM   #2
brian the real story

Likes (Received): 1778

Now this will propel Sudan to greater economic heights

Northern Sudanese, Manalive liked this post

Last edited by brian the real story; May 25th, 2016 at 04:50 PM.
brian the real story no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016, 04:44 PM   #3
Northern Sudanese

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian the real story View Post
Now this will propel Susan to greater economic heights
lol funny Susan,

but yea nuclear energy would really boost Sudan's economic development in the next decade as well as help provide the less fortunate with basic services. There is a lack of electricity in much of the country atm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2016, 04:50 PM   #4
brian the real story

Likes (Received): 1778

My,Forgive me i meant Sudan

Northern Sudanese liked this post
brian the real story no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016, 04:51 PM   #5
Northern Sudanese

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian the real story View Post
My,Forgive me i meant Sudan
haha no worries pal
Old July 10th, 2016, 11:04 AM   #6
Ras Siyan
Djibouti

Likes (Received): 1850

I don't understand the need for nuclear energy in Sudan when the country's renewable energy potential is so under used. Why not dam the Nile and generate thousands of MW? What about the vast wind and solar energy potential? Finally, why not use oil and gas for power generation?

Besides, with the country's human right records, the ongoing conflicts in Darfur, the Kordofans and the Nuba mountains; president Bashir ICC indictment etc... This looks like it's going to be very complicated, if possible at all, for Sudan to pursue any nuclear agenda.
Ras Siyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2016, 09:04 AM   #7
Northern Sudanese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras Siyan View Post
I don't understand the need for nuclear energy in Sudan when the country's renewable energy potential is so under used. Why not dam the Nile and generate thousands of MW? What about the vast wind and solar energy potential? Finally, why not use oil and gas for power generation?

Besides, with the country's human right records, the ongoing conflicts in Darfur, the Kordofans and the Nuba mountains; president Bashir ICC indictment etc... This looks like it's going to be very complicated, if possible at all, for Sudan to pursue any nuclear agenda.
There are already dams getting built in Sudan, around 6 over the next 10 years but with capacities ranging from 500-1800 MW i.e. no where near the Ethiopian GERD capacity, we don't have highlands like Ethiopia and specially not around rivers. Thermal energy projects are also taking place. last year 2 thermal stations were opened.

Solar and wind might sound good but they expensive, there is a plan to add 500 MW of solar over the next 5 years but I believe that its expensive.

The Darfur war wouldn't last 10 years rebels are already split and started to join peace as well as the rest of the country. I don't see why its not possible when Sudan has spoken to the IAEA and been cooperating with it ever since getting everything licensed.

This is nuclear energy for ''electricity'' to support devepment in the country. Not a pursue of nuclear arms. Sudan with support of Russia , China etc. can do it and after all, Sudan has is own huge uranium reserves

Skyliner123 liked this post
Old July 18th, 2016, 12:28 PM   #8
Skyliner123

Likes (Received): 7121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Sudanese View Post
There are already dams getting built in Sudan, around 6 over the next 10 years but with capacities ranging from 500-1800 MW i.e. no where near the Ethiopian GERD capacity, we don't have highlands like Ethiopia and specially not around rivers. Thermal energy projects are also taking place. last year 2 thermal stations were opened.

Solar and wind might sound good but they expensive, there is a plan to add 500 MW of solar over the next 5 years but I believe that its expensive.

The Darfur war wouldn't last 10 years rebels are already split and started to join peace as well as the rest of the country. I don't see why its not possible when Sudan has spoken to the IAEA and been cooperating with it ever since getting everything licensed.

This is nuclear energy for ''electricity'' to support devepment in the country. Not a pursue of nuclear arms. Sudan with support of Russia , China etc. can do it and after all, Sudan has is own huge uranium reserves
I am excited for Sudan and I hope Ethiopia can also invest in nuclear energy as it also has the natural resource. Nuclear power plants are far more reliable than hydro, wind, and solar energies as they are not dependent of weather conditions.

Northern Sudanese liked this post
Skyliner123 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2016, 06:34 PM   #9
Northern Sudanese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner123 View Post
I am excited for Sudan and I hope Ethiopia can also invest in nuclear energy as it also has the natural resource. Nuclear power plants are far more reliable than hydro, wind, and solar energies as they are not dependent of weather conditions.
that is all very true and I hope that things go as planned , I see Sudan did well in the past 10 years in building infrastructure for power production regardless of the civil unrests and instability and also confident of building more with stability in the next decade.

Ethiopia has also done very well and it has huge potentials in terms of power generation especially hydro (like about 50,000 MW of hydro energy potential), we share the same river so am also looking forward to see Sudan import electricity from Ethiopia. Africas largets dam (GERD) will be just 45 km from our borders

Skyliner123 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement