CANBERRA: Light Rail Discussion - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Australian Capital Territory

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 13th, 2018, 01:10 PM   #81
L2
L2 in 2020

Likes (Received): 1727

I'm really curious how the light rail will perform when it first opens.

Think about it. There are 45 bus services heading up Northbourne Avenue between 17:00 and 18:00. Out of those nearly 30 are heading to Gungahlin or beyond (56, 57, 58, 200, 251, 252, 254, 255 routes). And the buses from Watson/Downer and Kaleen/Giralang will only be connectors to the tram at Dickson anyway.

Trams will run every 6 minutes, so there will be 10 bus services in that hour.

Can one tram replace four buses as well as handling patronage growth of it's own?

Advertisement

Old August 14th, 2018, 04:51 AM   #82
AndyGM

Likes (Received): 2855

Those busses are usually nowhere near full so I wouldn't imagine it will struggle with capacity initially. That being said, the combination of the huge scale of development along the route and the additional demand generated by Stage 2 may put the 6 trams per hour plan under stress.
AndyGM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2018, 05:50 AM   #83
duke the lost engine

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2 View Post
Can one tram replace four buses as well as handling patronage growth of it's own?
I think the trans have capacity above 300, compared to something like 75 on a regular action bus, so yes to the first part.

Re: patronage growth, at some point there was a proposal that some trams terminate at Dickson, and they are building a crossover at Dickson so maybe that’s still the plan eventually
duke the lost engine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2018, 08:29 AM   #84
marcfranc

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke the lost engine View Post
I think the trans have capacity above 300, compared to something like 75 on a regular action bus, so yes to the first part.

Re: patronage growth, at some point there was a proposal that some trams terminate at Dickson, and they are building a crossover at Dickson so maybe thatís still the plan eventually
The trams have a capacity of 207 people. At 6 min intervals that is 10 per hour, so hourly capacity during the morning and afternoon peak will be 2070 people. However, IIRC from Transport Canberra last week, with a total 14 vehicles to be delivered there is capacity to increase services to 5 min intervals while still allowing for 1-2 in maintenance at any time.
marcfranc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2018, 09:38 AM   #85
duke the lost engine

Likes (Received): 1

207 seems low (though I can see that’s what the website says). the Dulwich Hill Urbos 3s have standard capacity 206 and crush capacity 272, so maybe Canberra will be similar. I.e. it will just manage to replace the buses, but not comfortably
duke the lost engine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2018, 10:53 AM   #86
L2
L2 in 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGM View Post
Those busses are usually nowhere near full
What do you call "nowhere near full"? I'd believe that some of the routes aren't (particularly 30/31 or 712/714) but there are people in Gungahlin who whinge about buses being too full to board so I assume the numbers carried are significant.

Looking at the fleet lists the smallest bus used on these services (capacity wise) is the Renault PR100.2 with 43 seats and the largest is the Scania K360UA articulated with 65 seats.

So if I go with a conservative estimate of an average 50 pax per bus that makes 2250 pax carried in the busiest hour. Slightly more than the 2070 people based on stated capacity that the 10 trams could carry!

I think that just with bus passengers migrating alone the light rail will be quite popular and not a flop as many locals are expecting.

Perhaps the direct buses from the Watson and Kaleen/Giralang routes will be brought back after a while as I can imagine a lot of complaints from people forced to change onto crowded trams at Dickson. And also too that I imagine many locals would find it ridiculous to have to catch two vehicles to Civic from as close in as Downer.
Old August 15th, 2018, 06:40 AM   #87
Jakal

Likes (Received): 53

Wouldn't the vast majority of people in Downer just walk to one of the three light rail stops at the edge of their suburb? Or catch the 50 or the 53, which are no more circuitous than previous inner north buses.

Last edited by Jakal; August 15th, 2018 at 06:45 AM.
Jakal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2018, 08:05 AM   #88
AndyGM

The Rapids tend to be quite full, but the other routes are much less crowded from my experience.

If I recall correctly the patronage projections for the tram (13000-15000 per work day) were a decent amount higher than the numbers of passengers currently catching busses on the route.

Scrawny liked this post
Old August 15th, 2018, 11:07 AM   #89
L2
L2 in 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakal View Post
Wouldn't the vast majority of people in Downer just walk to one of the three light rail stops at the edge of their suburb? Or catch the 50 or the 53, which are no more circuitous than previous inner north buses.
I didn't realise that the 50 is actually still a through service to Civic, but compared to current route 39, it's VERY indirect. Nobody sane would sit on the bus through the loop via North Lyneham.

There's actually a good amount of patronage using the current 39 to Watson, it runs every 10-15 minutes in peak. That's probably part of why Watson is getting a rapid service (R9) in the new network.

I'd imagine that a small number would switch to walking to the tram but not too many - why aren't they walking to Northbourne Avenue to catch the more frequent buses coming from Gungahlin as it is?

It's 960 metres to walk from the centre of Downer (Melba/Bradfield St) to the Swindon Street tram stop, 1.1km from Watson Shops to the Phillip Avenue tram stop and probably around 1.5km from the new part of Watson on Aspinall Street to the EPIC stop.

Can't see those people walking those distances!

Scrawny liked this post
L2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2019, 12:54 AM   #90
L2
L2 in 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2 View Post
Uncle L2's Canberra Light Rail Pictures, taken over the last couple of days. Had to go to Canberra and had some time to fill in..

LRV 002 powers north in the Northbourne Avenue median at Lyneham on a test run:
https://www.railpictures.net/photo/694457/

LRV 014 trails into the Exhibition Park/Racecourse stop on a test run headed south to Civic. It seems that every tram stops at all stops:
https://www.railpictures.net/photo/694456/

Regular passenger services start tomorrow.
Old April 20th, 2019, 09:08 AM   #91
Sky_Is_The_Limit

Likes (Received): 7685

Canberra Light Rail has officially opened.

Today is the first day the system has been open to the general public.

Here is a video of the full journey between Gungahlin and Civic

freepenguin1 liked this post
Sky_Is_The_Limit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2019, 01:42 AM   #92
DrPhilGood53

Likes (Received): 34

Just popped in from Perth forum to say congrats! Happy that our nation's capital finally has some public transport infrastructure to hang it's hat on. Now let's hurry up with stage 2!
DrPhilGood53 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2019, 04:07 AM   #93
Sky_Is_The_Limit

Likes (Received): 7685

Iím looking forward to seeing how Canberrans receive light rail.

Iím hoping that it is a generally positive response with patronage in line with or above expectations.

Hopefully the ACT Government is able to sign contracts and get cracking with Stage 2 to Woden prior to the next territory election...and if not, hopefully the public response is strong enough that it convinces the Opposition that they need to proceed with it anyway.

Iíve been a bit surprised by the Federal Inquiry which recommended Stage 2 does not pass Old Parliament House...the visual impact would be minor in comparison with the current situation, where visitors can still drive up to and park right out the front of Old Parliament House, and coaches park on the kerbside thereby blocking the view of Old Parliament House.

marcfranc, mw123 liked this post
Sky_Is_The_Limit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2019, 04:30 AM   #94
L2
L2 in 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Is_The_Limit View Post
Hopefully the ACT Government is able to sign contracts and get cracking with Stage 2 to Woden prior to the next territory election...and if not, hopefully the public response is strong enough that it convinces the Opposition that they need to proceed with it anyway.
Haha, you do know that the territory elections are a bit of a joke, right? All that they are for is to select which MLAs will serve for the next four years.

ACT Labor have been in power since 2001, and I can't see them losing any time soon. The population is booming on the northside.. which is where the ALP has the most support. And the newcomers are voting for Labor too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Is_The_Limit View Post
I’ve been a bit surprised by the Federal Inquiry which recommended Stage 2 does not pass Old Parliament House...the visual impact would be minor in comparison with the current situation, where visitors can still drive up to and park right out the front of Old Parliament House, and coaches park on the kerbside thereby blocking the view of Old Parliament House.
The route options via Parkes/Barton were ridiculous anyway. Nobody wants their 15 minute bus trip replaced with a 30 minute tram journey.
Old April 22nd, 2019, 01:06 PM   #95
saint_timmy
Saint Timmy

Likes (Received): 2535

I inadvertently found myself amongst one of the first people to ride the new Canberra light rail on the day it opened, on my Easter getaway to Canberra.

One question though - why aren't the trams new? I mean they are not OLD but judging by the scuff marks on the floor and everywhere, it looks well used (like what I would expect them to look like after a good 6 months of use). Did they buy them off Sydney's inner west line?

saint_timmy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2019, 01:11 PM   #96
freepenguin1

Likes (Received): 83

No they're brand new, shipped directly from Spain, testing of the trams began in June 2018.
freepenguin1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2019, 01:34 PM   #97
saint_timmy
Saint Timmy

Likes (Received): 2535

Quote:
Originally Posted by freepenguin1 View Post
No they're brand new, shipped directly from Spain, testing of the trams began in June 2018.
Thanks, explains the scuff marks on the floor. But 10 months of testing? Gee whiz.
saint_timmy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2019, 02:14 PM   #98
L2
L2 in 2020

The trams were delivered well before the infrastructure was complete. For quite some time only the line between Mitchell and Gungahlin Place was available for test runs.
Old December 2nd, 2019, 05:28 AM   #99
Canberra Raiders

Likes (Received): 26

https://youtu.be/Mxow4HbifsY

Visualisation of stage 2a.

Is this kicking off in 2020? or in a couple of years?
Canberra Raiders no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2019, 02:13 AM   #100
AndyGM

It was supposed to be early 2021, complete by 2023. It does rely on Commonwealth approvals though.

There's been a lot of soil testing and assessment work happening on either end of the Commonwealth Avenue bridge recently. Hopefully that means stage 2B won't be too far behind.

Canberra Raiders liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mandurahboyz