Projects & Discussion | NSW | News & Gossip - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > New South Wales

New South Wales » Sydney CBD | Parramatta CBD | Sydney Metro Area | Regional NSW

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 23rd, 2004, 04:46 AM   #61
below-0

Likes (Received): 0

I think the tall buildings is what makes Sydney's skyline significant (not forgetting harbour bridge & opera house). There's not that many old historic buildings, the city is one of the youngest and has been doing well in the last 2 decades in appearance of height and density.

World's top ranked cities are Paris & Prague, not many tall buildings there! Then again you can't really compete with centuries of age, art and architecture, something that's lacking in todays modern style. Don't forget New York city is the grandmaster of skyscrapers, they'll always have a passion and image to show the world that they're the best and tallest. In Australia Sydney is often compared to New York bearing similarities, I don't think Sydney is that low population 5 million is getting quite large. NYC is 8million i think? and 18million the whole area.
below-0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2004, 05:18 AM   #62
Muse

Likes (Received): 33

Sydney is and will continue to be an inyteresting combo of your typical U.S. city with a specific downtown area (CBD) and somewhere like Tokyo.

Tokyo has many "downtowns" similar to Sydney's satellite CBDs. To go in a tall building in Tokyo is similar to what you see of Sydney at heights ie pockets of talls where main business centres have evolved over the decades, centuries even.

Sydney alone is unlike a typical U.S. city.
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 05:25 AM   #63
James Saito

Likes (Received): 2

I wouldn't say Sydney is similar to Tokyo...
James Saito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2004, 05:32 AM   #64
Muse

...and....

In the respect that different business centres have established themsleves over just one core.

Of course a lot of the urban fabric is different, but in some respects (mainly the one outlined), it is indeed very similar.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 05:40 AM   #65
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 20919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar
Yes I agree nothing stands out, there is nothing earth shattering about skyscraper design in this city, and that gets me mad. Even with some notable new buildings by world reknown architects nothing screams style and presence - maybe only chifley has a bit of style about it.

Many are lack lustre and not in keeping with Sydney's worldly position and ambition. Sure we have the Opera House and the Bridge but a couple of nice signature towers would add to the scene. not that many are not nice, they are nice that is the problem just not grand or exceptional in any way, they are generic, boring and the skyline is actually not distinctive apart from the
tower. A slightly more distinctive skyline with some taller and more iconic towers would sit nicely within the city, building upon what is there with more difference and adding far more interest.

Sydney is anti buildings and it is a shame considering it once held the crown for Australia, many from overseas would still think this is the case and for the number of towers it is... the height and quality are a big let down however.
I think 126 phillip st will a "world class" skyscraper! Aurora already is.KENS will also be a "manhattan" size structure which is getting there!
The WORLD SQUARE site is a nice tower complex that would look great anywhere in the world!!! lots of landmark qualities!!
I think Sydney post 2000 has received many quality landmark towers!!!!
many more to come!!
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 12:23 PM   #66
Homeroids

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Saito
I wouldn't say Sydney is similar to Tokyo...
Possibly Frisco? I've been to both and I see many similarities in what I think is probably the most beautiful city in the USA - San Francisco.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 02:00 PM   #67
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 617

I think james was refering to the development and how it has occured. Many US cities have a central locus and the city radiates out from it reducing in density levels. Tokyo unlike some US cities is more a collection of CBDs and the density is spread through distinct districts. Many US cities don't have cluster CBDs and several secondary districts of high-rise clusters. Over-time Sydney may be more like Tokyo than we think.
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 11:29 PM   #68
finn

Likes (Received): 2873

Quote:
I think james was refering to the development and how it has occured. Many US cities have a central locus and the city radiates out from it reducing in density levels. Tokyo unlike some US cities is more a collection of CBDs and the density is spread through distinct districts. Many US cities don't have cluster CBDs and several secondary districts of high-rise clusters. Over-time Sydney may be more like Tokyo than we think.
This could be the case especially along corridors like the CBD-Airport, Parramatta Rd and Pacific Highway, which consist of mini-CBD's linked by long stretches of higher than average density development. i.e. North Sydney/St.Leonards/Chatswood/Artarmon high-rise clusters etc linked by multi-storey office and apartment buildings which are not as dense as the actual mini-CBD's but still more than the surrounding suburbs.
finn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2004, 01:05 PM   #69
cammo2004
Unacquainted Acquaintance

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn
This could be the case especially along corridors like the CBD-Airport, Parramatta Rd and Pacific Highway, which consist of mini-CBD's linked by long stretches of higher than average density development. i.e. North Sydney/St.Leonards/Chatswood/Artarmon high-rise clusters etc linked by multi-storey office and apartment buildings which are not as dense as the actual mini-CBD's but still more than the surrounding suburbs.
I think the crushing on the trains is enough evidence of that... All we need is a government that will actually consider investing in the system. It needs it - otherwise Sydney will come to a grinding halt and commute times will rapidly escalate to over 2 hours from most areas.

In this scenario, Sydney will become far more american-esque in character (many of their cities have shocking MT systems).
Old December 7th, 2004, 01:17 PM   #70
Muse

Quote:
I think james was refering to the development and how it has occured.
LOL I'm glad you could pick that up from his one basic sentence.
Old December 7th, 2004, 01:22 PM   #71
MILIUX
skyscraper connoisseur

Likes (Received): 380

Looks like the State Gov't have a long set of "To Do" List.

New water system
New power stations
New investment in rail
Revamping the Redfern Green Square area
Continous urban sprawl

Our gov't can't afford all these in a decade and yet public are whinging as if they're sitting on a gold mine and have money to burn.
MILIUX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2004, 02:01 PM   #72
cammo2004
Unacquainted Acquaintance

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matixvolta
Looks like the State Gov't have a long set of "To Do" List.

New water system
New power stations
New investment in rail
Revamping the Redfern Green Square area
Continous urban sprawl

Our gov't can't afford all these in a decade and yet public are whinging as if they're sitting on a gold mine and have money to burn.
Maybe true, but consider this:

For starters, the rail network has needed significant investment for years. Rail is really the only form of public transport that you can use to get cross-city, and hence provides an important role in the MT mix.... Duplication of the Cronulla branch would be a start... it's long overdue.

Continuous urban sprawl: well really, the State Government should seriously consider increasing density in Sydney. It would help the utilisation of the rail network and help to make it lose less money.

New power stations: they're considering covering that with a levy (was on the news tonight).

Whether or not they like it, something has to be done. Sydney's infrastructure is struggling, and the public knows it. It's going to cost them the election.

Parts of the Redfern-Green Square project may end up funding themselves.
Old December 8th, 2004, 12:54 PM   #73
MILIUX
skyscraper connoisseur

Likes (Received): 380

Sounds like simcity at work!

I like ya area of densifying the city/satellite city area. Long live the suburbs!
MILIUX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2004, 02:50 PM   #74
climbing_crane

Likes (Received):

tweed heads wasnt ikt
Old December 26th, 2004, 03:34 PM   #75
Blue_Copper

Likes (Received): 1

arnt they making a solar power station out past picton thats like 1km tall?
Blue_Copper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2004, 05:24 PM   #76
zulu69
selling my body since 88'

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petermaloney
arnt they making a solar power station out past picton thats like 1km tall?
yeah but thats very far away, on the border of nsw and vic actually. Hopefully more renewable and eco friendly energy sources are persued more.
zulu69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2004, 03:38 AM   #77
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 20919

The Enviromission project will be located in NSW town of Buronga, some 25km northeast of Mildura.The 1000m high concrete shell rises through a 7km diametre plastic tent which collects hot air and rises through stack to run turbines which in turn creates electricty for approx 200,000 homes. he project has been given State gov approval and Midura Mayor and people are behind it. Enviromisison need $800mil to proceed. Got a buck?
go to > www.enviromission.com.au to find out more.
Church Hill tower- 1797, Macquarie Tower-1818, St James Church -1822, Garden Palace- 1879, Sydney Harbour Bridge -1932, Sydney Opera House- 1973, Sydney Tower- 1981, Crown Sydney- 2021, twin towers- 2024, supertall 2025 https://www.buildsydney.com/forum
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2004, 12:29 PM   #78
Blue_Copper

thanks for that guys
Blue_Copper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 03:05 PM   #79
iron_monkey

Likes (Received): 0

Instead of adding office space the equivalent of 4 parramatta CBDs, why not multiply the office space in Parramatta's CBD by 5 times instead.

Parramatta is smack bang in the middle of greater sydney. Great Sydney metropolitan area needs a more central CBD. Increasing Sydney's CBD will only increase the already bad traffic congestion, put more stress in the frailing public transport systems, and increase pollution as people living in the far west and far fringes have to get all the way to Sydney CBD. Sydney urban sprawl is in the west.

Last edited by iron_monkey; January 21st, 2005 at 03:10 PM.
iron_monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 03:38 PM   #80
KhApZ!

Yeh i reakon a proportion perhaps? 3 more CBD's in Parra and & 2 more in the City...Maybe it could stretch down to north sydney past chatswood? heading to lane cove and the Maquarie center area (northern suburbs)
KhApZ! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mandurahboyz