DARWIN -#PROJECT: Casaurina Square Expansion (including Myer) - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Northern Territory

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 26th, 2012, 09:41 AM   #21
Burden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline Art View Post
Still years away according to the NT news, late 2016
Burden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 27th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #22
crawf

Likes (Received): 597

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burden View Post
Still years away according to the NT news, late 2016
Still, at least there is finally now a confirmed date. Hopefully this means that bomb site (Cas Square) will get a major makeover.

Great news for Darwin.
crawf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 10:09 AM   #23
seanoff

Likes (Received): 64

Nine News Darwin
MYER LATEST:

Statement by GPT Group, owner of Casuarina Square.

The GPT Group has taken another step towards a future redevelopment of Casuarina Square, having lodged a Development Application with the Northern Territory Department of Planning.
Under the plans Casuarina Square will increase in size by more than 17,000 square metres, there would also be an additional 770 car parking spaces added.
Casuarina Square Centre Manager, Ben Gill said the proposal would accommodate the Territory’s first Myer department store and approximately 50 new specialty stores.

it's on, can't see them having too much trouble.
seanoff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 22nd, 2012, 10:46 AM   #24
Burden

Looks impressive enough! (source)

Old November 22nd, 2012, 01:32 PM   #25
skinn

Likes (Received): 47

I love all the plants!
skinn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 01:40 PM   #26
Eastern37
Optimist

Likes (Received): 3594

Wow, definitely impressive!
Old November 22nd, 2012, 03:20 PM   #27
seanoff

OI VEY!!!!

be interested to see what the development app looks like.

OK had a look.

budget is $58M so that leaves somewhere in the region of $192M in the pipeline. frightening.

Last edited by seanoff; November 23rd, 2012 at 05:07 AM.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 01:59 AM   #28
Holy Frog

Likes (Received): 116

Do the Casuarina Square Mob ( im asuming GPT) own/manage the entire lot contained within Bradsaw & Trower?

The plans seems to show wiping out a number of existing buildings, such as Hungry Jacks, the Casuarina Convenience Centre CCC, Dominos and petrol stations, and Casuarina Village.

No big losses there, but its a bit interesting if the plans are to rebuild the entire site.
Holy Frog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 04:58 AM   #29
seanoff

more stuff today.

8 storey building behind Coles for student accom.

and the outdoor dining, water park area as in the previous landscape concepts with added ten pin bowling and laser skirmish and even more parking with another level added to the existing structure.

and they are really going for the jugular here. There will be absolutely no reason to shop in the CBD. (not that there is not much now but this just removes any real need) If you own a retail store in the city, do your sums and move out to Cas.

Last edited by seanoff; January 14th, 2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old January 15th, 2013, 01:58 AM   #30
Holy Frog

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanoff View Post
more stuff today.
8 storey building behind Coles for student accom.
This is all great news to my Wife and I, particularly as all the predictions I had been making to her over the last 6 years are starting to come together, on schedule. If only I had figured out a way to put my money where my mouth is lol.

Does anyone know where exactly this building will go? On top of the current Shell - on top of the current Ultratune or its carpark - or perhaps the current truck loading bay behind Coles?
Holy Frog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 10:19 AM   #31
wilkiebarkid
Beautiful Mountain

Likes (Received): 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Frog View Post
This is all great news to my Wife and I, particularly as all the predictions I had been making to her over the last 6 years are starting to come together, on schedule. If only I had figured out a way to put my money where my mouth is lol.

Does anyone know where exactly this building will go? On top of the current Shell - on top of the current Ultratune or its carpark - or perhaps the current truck loading bay behind Coles?
It is proposed to go where the 2 wonky abutting red circles are!!
wilkiebarkid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2013, 03:12 PM   #32
Skyline Art
®

Likes (Received): 1420

That student accomodation tower looks pretty good...

Here is a press release to go with the render.

Although this is a different angle and a much larger render
=======================================================================================================================================================================

Casuarina Square proposed as new site for student accommodation

15/01/2013

Charles Darwin University has committed to working with the GPT Group (GPT) after the property group lodged a Development Application with the Northern Territory Department of Planning for Casuarina Square, which includes a proposal to introduce student accommodation on the site.

The proposal includes purpose built, affordable accommodation involving about 300 rooms over six levels and ground level car parking.

The proposal also involves innovative features such as a web-based car-pooling system, and an entire elevated floor of student amenity facilities and feature landscaping.

CDU is working with GPT in support of the proposal, which is the culmination of more than 12 months of work between the two parties.

CDU Vice-Chancellor Professor Barney Glover said that given the university was located close to Casuarina Square, there was an opportunity to integrate the two with thorough planning, a strong partnership and cooperative programs.

“It is hoped that such a development will contribute to the creation of a more vibrant and integrated university campus precinct,” Professor Glover said.

The proposal positions Darwin generally, and CDU specifically, as an international education hub.

Casuarina Square Centre Manager Ben Gill said the plans reflected a future vision for Casuarina Square and the greater Casuarina town centre.

“This follows the Development Application we lodged late last year to accommodate Myer and 50 new speciality stores. While they are only proposals before the Department at this stage, it is exciting to see what is possible,” Mr Gill said.

“The plans are currently on public display, which will give the community the opportunity to view the proposal and for The GPT Group to continue engaging with them.

“We will work closely with CDU, our retailers and the public to keep them updated on the status of the development planning and to get their input into the project.”

The proposal includes purpose built, affordable accommodation involving about 300 rooms over six levels

SOURCE
Skyline Art no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 06:32 AM   #33
Skyline Art
®

This one will be REJECTED due to NOT ENOUGH carparking provided and the traffic assessment doesn't show an increase of traffic indications flow on affects to the main roads nearby.

Quote:
Council to oppose Myer store

CLAYTON BENNETT | February 11th, 2013

DARWIN council will object to plans for a Myer development at Casuarina at a special meeting.

The council will also lodge a Section 49 objection to upgrades to the existing Casuarina Square site and student accommodation on Trower Rd at tonight's meeting.

READ: Myer's plans at Cas

According to the town planning agenda for February 11, 2013 the GPT Group's proposed plans for an additional 17,093m2 - a Myer store which includes shops and restaurants, and four levels of car parking - falls short of the minimum requirements for car spaces.

Council are also critical of the traffic impact assessment stating: "the report has not incorporated a per annum increase in the existing traffic volumes to represent base traffic growth on main roads."

The GPT Group want to also add a bowling alley, a restaurant and an additional level to the carpark at shopping complex.

The company also want to construct an eight storey student accommodation building next door.

None of the applications have yet been heard by the Development Consent Authority.

Read more in tomorrow's NT News

Your Say

"Myers should be in the city. Council is right Casuarina shopping square couldn't cope with the traffic and the extra parking spaces would have been to small for the average car. We have seen some of GTPs other shopping centres and they all have traffic and parking problems"
c. andersson
SOURCE - NT NEWS

Last edited by Skyline Art; February 12th, 2013 at 06:36 AM. Reason: forgot to add the SOURCE
Old February 12th, 2013, 09:17 AM   #34
Burden

There are some more renders online for anyone interested.
Old March 19th, 2013, 09:37 AM   #35
seanoff

The shopping centre extension and the student accom have been approved.

The outdoor dining and bowling alley still to come.

Eastern37 liked this post
Old March 20th, 2013, 04:58 PM   #36
Skyline Art
®

Your Source?

Nothing in the NT news other than that story I found earlier that said it was rejected to not enough parking etc...

EDIT: I guess it was in the planning notices, and it's yet to be published in the media....
Old March 21st, 2013, 04:34 AM   #37
wilkiebarkid
Beautiful Mountain

Likes (Received): 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline Art View Post
Your Source?

Nothing in the NT news other than that story I found earlier that said it was rejected to not enough parking etc...

EDIT: I guess it was in the planning notices, and it's yet to be published in the media....
NT BUSINESS REVIEW - MARCH Edition.
wilkiebarkid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 04:48 PM   #38
SPQRSPQR

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Frog View Post
Do the Casuarina Square Mob ( im asuming GPT) own/manage the entire lot contained within Bradsaw & Trower?

The plans seems to show wiping out a number of existing buildings, such as Hungry Jacks, the Casuarina Convenience Centre CCC, Dominos and petrol stations, and Casuarina Village.

No big losses there, but its a bit interesting if the plans are to rebuild the entire site.
No they don't own the lot. The bus terminal is owned by the NT Government and the Cascom Centre and Casuarina Shopping Village are separately owned by large superannuation funds or the like.

The plans are not to rebuild the "whole site" only on GPT owned property which is the Casuarina Shopping Square.
SPQRSPQR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 04:58 PM   #39
SPQRSPQR

Likes (Received): 1

The earlier schemes that I had seen all had open mall areas and lots of highly expensive-to-maintain vegetation/trees that just will not work in Darwin. They are nice places for the legions of local itinerant to defacate, urinate and fornicate (sorry to the sensitive types here that don't know the awful truth). I hope the new scheme doesn't go down the furry-open mall route because I won't be shopping in anything less than manicured and airconditioned space!

Just because the thing is being designed in Sydney where open malls might work, doesn't mean that they will work in tropical Darwin.
SPQRSPQR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 06:16 PM   #40
seanoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQRSPQR View Post
The earlier schemes that I had seen all had open mall areas and lots of highly expensive-to-maintain vegetation/trees that just will not work in Darwin. They are nice places for the legions of local itinerant to defacate, urinate and fornicate (sorry to the sensitive types here that don't know the awful truth). I hope the new scheme doesn't go down the furry-open mall route because I won't be shopping in anything less than manicured and airconditioned space!

Just because the thing is being designed in Sydney where open malls might work, doesn't mean that they will work in tropical Darwin.
fully airconned with a retractable roof over the mall bit and a lightweight roof over the atrium in front of myer. what a waste of money, who is going to open the roof? ever. There is 3 levels of parking above the ground level mall, 2 above myer.

a bit of stuff getting wiped too. KFC, Fasta Past/Cheescake shop are having a D10 put thru them. Monterey House reskinned. the 2 intersections on trower road become 3, altho the Vanderlin drv entrance is reduced to bugger all and the 2nd (new) entrance is deliveries only. the current Linton st entrance is moving up towards the cas club.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement