NT - General Projects & Discussion - Page 37 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Northern Territory

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 8th, 2015, 02:08 AM   #721
Holy Frog

Likes (Received): 116

From https://www.facebook.com/groups/olddarwinphotos/
Looks like more mahogany's are going from the mall.

The plan for replacement is here and includes allosyncarpia ternata trees.
http://www.darwin.nt.gov.au/sites/de...0factsheet.pdf
Holy Frog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 10th, 2015, 09:58 AM   #722
Eastern37
Optimist

Likes (Received): 3591

I really have to question some of the names around Darwin.

This development is at 1 Dick Ward Dr, Fannie Bay.....

Anyways...it includes 5 buildings, 4 floors in height.

Layout of the site

Old July 10th, 2015, 11:30 AM   #723
Skyline Art
®

Likes (Received): 1420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern37 View Post
I really have to question some of the names around Darwin.

This development is at 1 Dick Ward Dr, Fannie Bay
There is a councillor ward in Richlands, Brisbane named: Milton Dick.

According to profile.id: http://profile.id.com.au/darwin/about?WebID=150

Quote:
Fannie Bay is thought to be named after Fanny Carandini, a popular opera singer in the late 1800s.
This commercial site confirms....

Quote:
The origin of Fannie Bay's name is still uncertain up to this point but there are some who claim that English surveyor George Woodroffe Goyder named the place after Fanny Carandini, the daughter of Count Gerome Carandini, the 10th Marquise of Saranzo.
source: http://www.fanniebay.com.au/#read_more

Dick Ward Drive was named after an honourable territorian.
it appeard in an old news paper. Unfortunately the website link below is broken...

http://www.territorystories.nt.gov.a...e/10070/194296

Okay here is some thing interesting from the Australian Newspaper. A dodgy name means nothing when properties there are high value.

Source: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1227123617793

They have a facebook page for that place...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dick-...10576225638986

Photo of a guy standing infront of the Dickward Drive sign...
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...5816421&type=1

Eastern37, OptomistOne liked this post

Last edited by Skyline Art; July 10th, 2015 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Found an Australian Business News paper review article
Skyline Art no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2015, 12:41 PM   #724
wilkiebarkid
Beautiful Mountain

Likes (Received): 354

GREAT NEWS FOR DARWIN

Darwin CBD to scrap 90m building height limit

BEN SMEE NT News July 17, 2015 4:55PM

THE sky is now the limit for the Darwin CBD.

The NT Government will announce today it has decided to scrap the 90-metre cap on city development.

And while it will likely not mean massive skyscrapers, because any new tower will need the approval of both defence and civil aviation authorities, the decision was made in the hope it might encourage investment in the sort of showpiece projects that could become city icons.

Planning Minister Dave Tollner told the NT News the 55-metre restriction along The Esplanade and the 90-metre limit on the south-western side of Mitchell St would both be retained in the NT Planning Scheme. But the blanket limit for the city centre, a long legacy of the RAAF base and airport being located so close to the CBD, will go.

“If architects have the freedom to design above 90m they will have the flexibility to create more imaginative buildings and a more attractive skyline,’ Mr Tollner said.

“We don’t want to see tall buildings lining the Esplanade and destroying the spectacular views of Darwin Harbour from other buildings in the CBD.

“But elsewhere there are good reasons for allowing developers to consider building higher than the arbitrary 90-metre limit.”

Mr Tollner said it was unlikely there would be many buildings over about 100m because of the aviation restrictions. The RAAF has long objected to the lifting of the height limit and any proposal must seek consent from defence, Darwin International Airport and the Federal Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development.

Only once these approvals are gained, a developer would still need to seek the approval of the NT planning system.

“High-rise buildings are now a common feature of the CBD and this decision will help ease the demand for development elsewhere in Darwin,” Mr Tollner said.

The proposal was first raised by former Planning Minister Peter Chandler and was placed on public exhibition late last year. There were five objections.

The Darwin Waterfront precinct is considered outside the CBD and will not be affected by today’s amendment to the planning scheme.
wilkiebarkid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2015, 08:14 AM   #725
seanoff

Likes (Received): 64

This is like me declaring myself god. Its nice but it isnt going to make much difference to anything.

So the nt govt are saying go for it, but then defence, infrastrucutre and DIA are going to tell you to stick it. Lol.

Also track down Neil Sunners and ask him why much above 90m is difficult. I'll boil it down to an easy tl;dr. $$$$$$$
seanoff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2015, 08:20 AM   #726
seanoff

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline Art View Post

Dick Ward Drive was named after an honourable territorian.
it appeard in an old news paper. Unfortunately the website link below is broken...
]
Dick Ward was a very prominent lawyer, member of the legislative council and eventually Supreme court judge.

Still one of Darwins biggest law firms still bears his name. Ward Keller

Skyline Art liked this post
seanoff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2015, 01:23 PM   #727
Eastern37
Optimist

I can't quite remember but I think the OLS for most of the CBD was around the 120m mark which isn't too short, nearly twice the height of what can be built in Cairns.
Old September 14th, 2015, 02:13 AM   #728
Holy Frog

Likes (Received): 116

Planning proposal from Tomazos lodged - 29 stories on the corner of Smith and Daly, where the current traveller's autobarn is.

The Proposal:
The proposal is to develop 72 serviced apartment dwellings over five levels and 178 residential dwellings (38 x 1 bed, 72 x 2 bed, 68 x 3 bed) over 19 residential levels. Ground floor consists of 4 commercial tenancies with a total area of 476.91m2 and a porte-cochere opening into a shared entrance lobby – 199.97m2. There is 2 ½ levels of basement car parking consisting of 158 car spaces, ramping up from ground level is 21 car spaces leading to 3 levels of above ground car parking – 180 car spaces; providing a total of 359 car spaces.

The podium level incorporates 867m2 of communal area and amenities for the
residential and serviced apartment residences. There is a 281m2 of communal space on Level 13 and 281m2 on level 21. These double height sky parks will provide landscaped gardens, bbq areas and 360 degree views to be enjoyed by all residences. Additionally there is 998.76m2 of rooftop communal area on the 28th floor, providing a combined total of 2918.08m2 of communal areas.

Brief Description of Development / Proposal:
Mixed Used Development
Value of Works:

https://www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/planning....view/92829843

Skyline Art, Eastern37 liked this post

Last edited by Holy Frog; September 14th, 2015 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Added pictures
Holy Frog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2015, 03:47 PM   #729
Skyline Art
®

Looks like it will be a good addition to that part of town.

Design looks quite good too.

Roof top park top of trees expected to make the tip reach 91m

That frame at the top must be also a first too... I'm just curious how the park will fare during a cyclone though

Viclocal liked this post
Old September 25th, 2015, 12:57 PM   #730
Skyline Art
®

Bell Gabbett Architects name is on this render, not sure if its a design fantasy of what could be done if the buyer of the site gets the place...

Lot 1356 & Lot 2827 Town of Darwin - 48-52 Daly Street.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/the-g...eet/1071989793
Old September 27th, 2015, 10:10 AM   #731
Eastern37
Optimist

It would just be to show the potential for the site. I certainly hope that design wouldn't be built! Would be great to see that site developed though.
Old September 28th, 2015, 07:36 AM   #732
Viclocal

Likes (Received): 38

[QUOTE=Holy Frog;127064182]Planning proposal from Tomazos lodged - 29 stories on the corner of Smith and Daly, where the current traveller's autobarn is.

The Proposal:
The proposal is to develop 72 serviced apartment dwellings over five levels and 178 residential dwellings (38 x 1 bed, 72 x 2 bed, 68 x 3 bed) over 19 residential levels. Ground floor consists of 4 commercial tenancies with a total area of 476.91m2 and a porte-cochere opening into a shared entrance lobby – 199.97m2. There is 2 ½ levels of basement car parking consisting of 158 car spaces, ramping up from ground level is 21 car spaces leading to 3 levels of above ground car parking – 180 car spaces; providing a total of 359 car spaces.

The podium level incorporates 867m2 of communal area and amenities for the
residential and serviced apartment residences. There is a 281m2 of communal space on Level 13 and 281m2 on level 21. These double height sky parks will provide landscaped gardens, bbq areas and 360 degree views to be enjoyed by all residences. Additionally there is 998.76m2 of rooftop communal area on the 28th floor, providing a combined total of 2918.08m2 of communal areas.

Brief Description of Development / Proposal:
Mixed Used Development
Value of Works:

https://www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/planning....view/92829843

What a fabulous design. This is really innovative. Finally!
Viclocal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2015, 11:36 AM   #733
tombolla

Likes (Received): 476

cant see it on that list?
tombolla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2015, 09:55 PM   #734
Greco Roman
WP-Professional Troll

Likes (Received): 52

Hey guys, greetings from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada! I didn't know where else to post this, so I thought it would be okay to do so here.

There is a very strong potential for my company to allow me to relocate to Australia in one of several cities, including Darwin. I was there this past winter (February, so your summer). I had a chance to hang out with some of my colleagues from our Darwin office, and they took me Barramundi fishing; saw lots of wildlife including crocodiles!

From what I saw, I really liked the city and it seems to be one of the upcoming areas of the country. I was just wondering what the rental market is like there. And no worries about a hot and humid climate year round; I have no issues with that whatsoever. Also, as a single guy, if it's a decent place to potentially meet women. Any input from locals would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Greco Roman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2015, 11:15 AM   #735
Eastern37
Optimist

Rainbow wall proposed for Stuart Highway...

335 Stuart Highway, 5 buildings with 3 floors each.

Old November 2nd, 2015, 09:31 AM   #736
Skyline Art
®

NEW SHOPPING CENTRE IN PALMERSTON (BAKEWELL):
lol how many woolies will Palmerston have by 2016? Three? Looks like there is another one in progress Yarrawonga too.

Quote:

Woolworths Bakewell is ideally located on the corner of Chung Way Terrace and Lambrick Avenue, within the southern growth corridor of Palmerston.

The centre will boast a full-line Woolworths Supermarket, Woolworths Petrol, fast food restaurant and opportunity for approximately 9 specialty stores and have level parking for more than 340 cars including mobility and parent parking.

The centre is due to open in March 2016.

The Facts
Centre Statistics Summary
Total Retail Space 5,859 sqm
Specialty Store Space 1,064 sqm
Car Spaces 342 spaces
Major Retailers Woolworths (4,800 sqm)
Main trade area population 17,920 (2014)

Main Trade Area Population
2016 – 19,820 people
2021 – 24,820 people
2026 – 29,820 people
SOURCE:http://www.woolworthsshoppingcentres...ities/Bakewell

FLOOR PLAN - click here

LOCATION - click here

News story:

Quote:
Woolworths to sell under-construction Bakewell shopping centre but retain lease

ASHLEY MANICAROS | NT News | October 28, 2015 9:13AM

Woolworths Bakewell

WOOLWORTHS will sell its under-construction Bakewell store but remain an anchor tenant for the new owners.

The sale is part of $180 million of “neighbourhood shopping centres” taken to market across Australia.

The Bakewell store is likely to fetch around $30 million.

CBRE Australian Retail Investments has been appointed to market the six Woolworths anchored properties, which include a mix of recently completed and partially developed retail assets in Queensland, Western Australia, Victoria and the Northern Territory.

All of the assets are secured by long term, 20-year lease backs to Woolworths and the leasing on the support tenancies is strong as all of the centres on offer are situated in high growth corridors with very strong demographics.

The existing Palmerston Woolworths turns over more than $50 million a year.

Local developer Terry Finnochiaro, from Gaymark Investments in Parap, said having a guaranteed anchor tenant like Woolworths lowered the risk for investors but would come at a higher initial price.

“The model of the likes of Woolworths and Wesfarmers building and then onselling these was adopted after the global financial crisis,” he said.

“This is more likely to be pitched at the institutional investors.”

CBRE’s National Director, Retail Investments, Peter Rossi said the sale campaign was expected to generate significant interest from local investors, syndicators and institutions seeking to secure the assets either as a portfolio, individually or a combination of the Woolworths assets on offer.

“Woolworths’ shopping centre development program has been extremely successful due to their astute site selection, pragmatic and practical design philosophy and the very high standards and finishes they have included in all of their new projects,” Mr Rossi said.

Up for sale are assets at Cornubia in Queensland; Mandurah and Dalyellup in Western Australia; Bakewell in the North Territory; and Seville and Selandra Rise in Victoria.

Three of the centres were recently completed with the remaining three to be sold by way of a development management agreement.

Woolworths has divested more than $2.8 billion of property assets since mid-2010, including the creation of the Shopping Centres Australasia Property Group in 2012 and the sale of 54 freehold properties by ALH Group Pty Ltd in September 2014.

Expressions of Interest in the national neighbourhood centre collection being offered by CBRE close November 26, 2015.
SOURCE - NT news

HERE IS THE ORIGINAL DA SUBMISSION & PLANS - from 2014

Direct Darwin-China flights on cards in wake of $506 million Darwin Port sale

Last edited by Skyline Art; November 2nd, 2015 at 09:54 AM.
Old December 28th, 2015, 01:42 PM   #737
tombolla

Likes (Received): 476

no darwin updates for mnths?

holy frog...anyone?

Oriolus liked this post
tombolla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2016, 08:41 AM   #738
wilkiebarkid
Beautiful Mountain

Likes (Received): 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombolla View Post
no darwin updates for mnths?

holy frog...anyone?
And still none!!

Be good if someone up there could go around and give us some photo updates of those buildings under construction.

Tech Towers
Argus on Shepherd
8 Shepherd
Asti
Catalyst
29 Daly
Jepun

etc, etc.
wilkiebarkid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2016, 01:58 AM   #739
eastadl

Likes (Received): 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
Hey guys, greetings from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada! I didn't know where else to post this, so I thought it would be okay to do so here.

There is a very strong potential for my company to allow me to relocate to Australia in one of several cities, including Darwin. I was there this past winter (February, so your summer). I had a chance to hang out with some of my colleagues from our Darwin office, and they took me Barramundi fishing; saw lots of wildlife including crocodiles!

From what I saw, I really liked the city and it seems to be one of the upcoming areas of the country. I was just wondering what the rental market is like there. And no worries about a hot and humid climate year round; I have no issues with that whatsoever. Also, as a single guy, if it's a decent place to potentially meet women. Any input from locals would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Hey Greco, from what I know the rental market has plummeted recently which is great for renters. It was one of the highest in the country at one stage, but the downturn in the mining expansion has cooled down Darwin. Other than that Ive never been to Darwin but would love to visit, so don't know any more about it
Old February 9th, 2016, 03:18 PM   #740
Skyline Art
®

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkiebarkid View Post
And still none!!

Be good if someone up there could go around and give us some photo updates of those buildings under construction.

Tech Towers
Argus on Shepherd
8 Shepherd
Asti
Catalyst
29 Daly
Jepun

etc, etc.
Okay i went on Realestate.com.au

7. jepun is completed..
http://www.realestate.com.au/project...rwin-600008585
http://jepun.rhdarwin.com.au

Some photos of inside and exterior of Jepun on gumtree...
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/darwi...0-w/1103189465

6. 29 Daly is listed for selling off the plan
https://www.raywhite.com/nt/darwin/1195546/?lang=en

5. Catalyst: appears to be completed.
http://www.domain.com.au/catalyst-fi...t-0800-9962635
Not the clearest of photos but from the domain website:

4. Asti: ???

3. 8 Shepard: not sure but it has a fence up for development: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-3...h-ends/6583482

2. Argus on Shepard: I think this one is also completed
Source: http://www.argusaccommodation.com.au/argus-hotel/

1. Tech Tower 1 is completed, Tech 2 will be completed towards MID 2016:.. http://techtowers.com.au/m/home

Tower 1 is already completed and people can start to move in, in April 2016:
SOURCE: http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...rwin-121723354 and http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...rwin-120439201

Eastern37, Oriolus liked this post

Last edited by Skyline Art; February 14th, 2016 at 03:58 PM. Reason: found TT1 on realestate.com.au for sale as completed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mall, mandurahboyz