Projects & Discussion | NSW | Old Scanned Articles, Photos & Proposals - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > New South Wales

New South Wales » Sydney CBD | Parramatta CBD | Sydney Metro Area | Regional NSW

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 4th, 2005, 01:28 AM   #41
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 20909

heres a classic shot!!
MLC uc way back in 1972 with CULWULLY rising to the left!!
The once tallest in Australia looking down at the next tallest in Australia!!

CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2005, 03:51 AM   #42
SinCity
Streetwalker

Likes (Received): 104

Such a funny look back into time.
SinCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2005, 06:39 AM   #43
fro

Likes (Received): 159

Yes, a wonderful walk down memory lane and for some of us (me included) a look at Sydney before we were born! Thanks to Cul for the scanned articles! I especially like that photo above...! Looks like New York or something! Wonderful!
fro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 23rd, 2005, 01:15 PM   #44
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

I saw a shot of the entire scheme for Wooloomoloo while flicking through " Sacked : removing and remaking the Sydney City Council." by Hilary Golder at the SCC Central Library at customs house and the scheme including turning the finger wharf into a terminal for cruise liners. It makes mention of other developments eg Darling Harbour, The Rocks and discusses how the council dealt and handled them. I'd like to obtain a copy of the book and read it in full & is recommended.

I also had the opportunity today to find old articles from the late 1980's in the microfilm at the state library and came up with a few interesting finds. Familar faces feature prominently in these articles, and it's interesting to see the major role they have played in CBD developments and their continuing influence.

I read reports from the SMH, dated May 1987, about Bond's attempts to woe Sydney City Council into approving Skytower and also mentioning the SCC's intention to build a Civic Square opposite the Town Hall (which 20 years later is still proposed). In exchange for the Bond Corporation funding the civic square opposite Town Hall (including the accquistion of buildings etc), and having a monorail station in it's podium, known today as Park Plaza.

Bond Corp had a D/A for a 43 storey office tower approved, but they were hoping to gain floor space by offering to pay the costs of the Civic Square. A number of properties including the Woolworths building had been already bought out by the SCC and were about to buy out the Coronation Hotel at a cost of $1.5 million. 20 Years later, they still buying up.

The "sacked" SCC Aldermen, Frank Sartor and Clover Moore feature in the articles. Moore told the SMH that skytower would "destroy the city" whilst creating dark canyons and more congestion. Sartor was concerned about overshadowing in Hyde Park. Just like now, the SCC were concerned about the State Government's support of developers, and the governments control of major city projects eg World Square and Darling Harbour. Bob Carr was planning minister back in those days and effectively had control of major developments!!!!!

The SMH published a render of Seidlers CBD 1 on June 24 1987, with a report. It had the same render as the one typically featured on the forum

Again there was government support for this one. It was hoped the tower would make sydney a major "world financial centre". It would also of included a restoration of St Patricks Church and an adjoining building. It even stated that CBD 1 needed the approval of Catholic Church as it was being built on church land.

Plus I saw a render of a redevelopment proposal for the Reschs Site on South Dowling Street (where Moore Park Gardens is located) with three residential towers proposed reported just days before the CBD 1 development was mentioned in the same paper. It looked very 80's but it looked just as good as the eventual scheme. Meriton is also mentioned in the same article, as they managed to secure a small section of the site (along South Dowling Street) to build around 270 apartments.

It sure was a wild period for city developments!!!! Anything went in those days

Fab Sydney Flashbacks

Last edited by Fabian; June 23rd, 2005 at 01:22 PM.
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 08:58 AM   #45
Fabian

I found articles from june 26-28 1964 in regards to the proposed Chevron-Hilton Hotel development in Kings Cross. It was proposed to be 60 storeys tall or around 650ft and would of cost $12 million pounds. The SMH of June 27 1964 comes with a render of the hotel. Nothing special about it's design though.

Also I found articles from May - June 1972 also SMH in regards to the MLC Tower. The SCC was concerned about the "sixty storey tower" (It had no name at the time to be honest) in regards to overshadowing and wind patterns but were prepared to consider it.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Old February 3rd, 2006, 03:13 AM   #46
CULWULLA

SYDNEY-never built skyscrapers!

Ive had numerous requests to post any photos of the NEVER BUILT Garden Tower of 1988.
It was to be located at 109 Pitt st, just near Angel Place.
I loved the design. It was going to have white frame with light green glazing.
funny thing is, it could still be built. The 2 properties (2x 7storey bldgs) are still there.

stats
height-152m
storeys-22
1000sqm floor plates
use-office
features- 30m high lobby (stilts) landscaped areas similar to capita Centre.

basically a square tower turned on angle. with 30m high stilts and 20m high slopped plantroom.

nice impact on skyline back in 88. maybe not now.

Church Hill tower- 1797, Macquarie Tower-1818, St James Church -1822, Garden Palace- 1879, Sydney Harbour Bridge -1932, Sydney Opera House- 1973, Sydney Tower- 1981, Crown Sydney- 2021, twin towers- 2024, supertall 2025 https://www.buildsydney.com/forum
Old February 3rd, 2006, 03:17 AM   #47
Grollo
Developer

Likes (Received): 1946

Way cool, sort of like a deformed Melbourne Central! I can see why it was never built, it would have to be the most uneconomic building proposal ever :-)
Old February 3rd, 2006, 03:43 AM   #48
CULWULLA

^ yes only 22 stories with approx 25,000sqm.
then again, the 188m/25storey 33 Bligh street has only 25,000sqm of office space. hopefully ANZ will build.
Church Hill tower- 1797, Macquarie Tower-1818, St James Church -1822, Garden Palace- 1879, Sydney Harbour Bridge -1932, Sydney Opera House- 1973, Sydney Tower- 1981, Crown Sydney- 2021, twin towers- 2024, supertall 2025 https://www.buildsydney.com/forum
Old February 3rd, 2006, 12:33 PM   #49
Fabian

It would of been a great tower for Sydney. It's design was unique given it wasn't based on a block, which many designs Sydney scrapers are typically based on.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Old February 10th, 2006, 04:39 AM   #50
SinCity
Streetwalker

Likes (Received): 104

Interesting and unusual.
SinCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 02:02 AM   #51
zulu69
selling my body since 88'

Likes (Received): 65

Great idea for a thread Cul! Is it possible to get Skytower or the Original Angel Place in the Skyline.. always wanted to see how a ESB sized tower would have really looked in our city.
zulu69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 02:27 AM   #52
CULWULLA

give me sometime for that. meanwhile heres a drawing
tallest ever approved skyscraper in Sydney. 244m/56st
1990-ground was cleared and then wall st crash happened.

view from martin place

another never built-
2 bond st (mix master)
170m
Old February 15th, 2006, 02:30 AM   #53
Brizer

Likes (Received): 6603

Couldn't you just spit blood when you look at what is on most of these sites now, though Angel Place is good, but too short.
There was once upon a time, a proposal for a tallish tower stretching from and including the present Rabobank Building in Pitt Street to the corner of Hunter where the unlovely Currency House now squats. It had hanging gardens yet! Now look at the rubbish we have instead after they split up the site!
Farcanal!
Brizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 07:36 AM   #54
Gargarensis
:-]

Likes (Received): 307

we oh so needed angel place tower... it woulda been king of martin place and right smack bam in the middle of the CBD...

u know i wonder when the next tall skyscraper will be taken down for an even bigger tower.... like we had the state office block come down for aurora place! me, im hoping its the waterboard building...
Gargarensis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 08:54 AM   #55
zulu69
selling my body since 88'

Likes (Received): 65

^ i'm hoping for the Telstra building on Pitt St(?). It can host a 235m building
zulu69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 09:57 AM   #56
Muse

Likes (Received): 33

Yes! 233 Castlereagh can come down after its laughable refurb. Vile piece it is.

Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 11:59 AM   #57
Italo-Australian

Likes (Received): 1

It shits me to tears that these were never built
Italo-Australian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 12:07 PM   #58
Mr Centrepoint

Likes (Received): 0

Hey.... How come the collins street twins were built at the same time and they weren't stopped? And we must be very lucky to get the chifley.
Mr Centrepoint no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 10:48 PM   #59
Muse

Likes (Received): 33

Collins Place was built almost 10 years earlier in the 2nd half of the 70s/very early 80s. Different city, different economic climate etc. They didn't experience the late 80s crash that saw Sydney left with over 20 holes, with only the last of them being filled in now!!
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 03:53 AM   #60
A r c h i
Agent of Change

Likes (Received): 746

Muse I think Centrepoint's talking about 101 and 120 even though they're not really twins as they're two totally different towers by two different firms the only similarities they have are they were built at the same time, are grey, tall and have antennas on top .
A r c h i no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
sydney