Perth BUST rundown - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Skyscrapers & General Urban Issues

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 15th, 2014, 08:14 AM   #101
Citystyle
Watch my Chops

Likes (Received): 696

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
Until Perth stems the flow of its creative class to the Eastern states and abroad, it can build all the cultural attractions it wants, it won't change a thing.

For a city its size, it produces some of the most inventive and talented people in the country. It needs to learn how to keep them.
No loss in your case. I do understand the cliche view you espouse, one of cultural flagellation. It's a pretty common phenomena to attack the place of your upbringing, especially when you have to justify you're relocation.

Unfortunately Perth needs to invest in institutions to retain talented people, such institutions take time to form and shape. They can't be supported easily by demographics here and need government assistance to ensure they're competitive.
Sec. 31 But how far has he given it us? To enjoy. As much as anyone can make use of to any advantage of life before it spoils, whatever is beyond this, is more than his share, and belongs to others. Nothing was made by God for man to spoil or destroy. And thus considering the plenty of natural provisions there was a long time in the world, and the few spenders, and to how small a part provision the industry of one man could extend itself, and ingross itself to the prejudice of others.
- John Locke

Last edited by Citystyle; December 15th, 2014 at 09:25 AM.
Citystyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 15th, 2014, 08:32 AM   #102
eco186

Likes (Received): 908

Yeah I would think building and enhancing cultural institutions/attractions would go a long way to helping retain a "creative class".
eco186 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 12:26 PM   #103
brianc68

Likes (Received): 633

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citystyle

No loss in your case. I do understand the cliche view you espouse, one of cultural flagellation. It's a pretty common phenomena to attack the place of your upbringing, especially when you have to justify you're relocation.
I have to agree that certainly is a common phenomena - to denigrate a place after people relocate. They also seem to do it for years and years after, not realising how much the place they have left has moved on. As you say it's an attempt to justify something, but it really smacks of a need to feel superior to something...anything. They seem to take some sort of personal credit for the 'size' of the city they live in. It's very odd.

eco186 liked this post
brianc68 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 15th, 2014, 04:07 PM   #104
PD
perthistan

Likes (Received): 4890

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianc68 View Post
Agree. I think that's the major issue with Perth. Brain drain.
Would love to hear some of your facts or figures on this brain drain!?

Because I've always thought that Perth is a net receiver of 'Brains'.
The amount of educated people who are trying to move here is quite large.
And the amount of international students who are trying to get visas I think would be large also.

I would agree though on the creative types needing to move to a city that specializes in their particular field. But less so then ever - and of course that trend hopefully will continue as the city becomes bigger, and more importantly, more confident in itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citystyle View Post
I do understand the cliche view you espouse, one of cultural flagellation. It's a pretty common phenomena to attack the place of your upbringing, especially when you have to justify you're relocation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianc68 View Post
I have to agree that certainly is a common phenomena - to denigrate a place after people relocate. They also seem to do it for years and years after, not realising how much the place they have left has moved on. As you say it's an attempt to justify something, but it really smacks of a need to feel superior to something...anything. They seem to take some sort of personal credit for the 'size' of the city they live in. It's very odd.

I find it funny too.
Especially since we moved here from the UK - and I think of some nob in London looking down on the city which is looking down on one smaller than it haha.

I think the big 5 cities in Australia are all really good places to live - multicultural, interesting and vibrant. But I think the way some would view the non-sydney&melbourne cities goes along with the general negativity and cultural cringe that is so prevalent here.
I'm glad I've never picked that up - even though I've been here for the majority of my life.

If our (Aussie) cities were in the US or Canada the amount of spruicking, self-promoting and self-aggrandizing they would receive online and in general from it's inhabitants would be ridiculous - and probably very beneficial.

dallas liked this post
PD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 06:08 PM   #105
Dilaz89

Likes (Received): 5941

^ This.

I actually liked Perth more after I left. Was helped by the fact that the city actually started becoming a good place to live around that time.

Aus cities in general are pretty damn nice. Much nicer than US/CA counterparts which all look the same after awhile.

Scrawny liked this post
Dilaz89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 01:27 AM   #106
Zeefox

Likes (Received): 293

I've got some sympathy for City_thing's perspective because he is roughly of my generation of WA people who fled Perth in the early-mid 2000's as 20-somethings looking for a more interesting life elsewhere. A look at my facebook feed (I'm 34) shows that at least 50 per cent of my friends from my early 20s now live somewhere other than Perth (mostly Melbourne).

However, Perth is a very different place to what it was 10 years ago and I quite simply don't see the same exodus of 20-somethings leaving the city. Most people (even the creative ones) seem to be able to find a niche in Perth that keeps them entertained.

My criticisms of Perth (as an ex-resident) are based purely on technical issues such as urban planning policy, transport development etc, where lessons from other cities could be applied.
Zeefox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 08:19 AM   #107
hack404

Likes (Received): 1433

Part of the problem seems to be that many Perth people have a strong streak of isolationism - they'd rather be different to everywhere else.
Old December 17th, 2014, 10:16 AM   #108
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 889

lol. geez...
Old December 17th, 2014, 10:27 AM   #109
Melbcity

Likes (Received): 506

LOL I was hoping you weren't going to respond at all. It's usually the best reply for those kind of posts.
Old December 18th, 2014, 06:10 AM   #110
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

Quote:
Originally Posted by hack404 View Post
Part of the problem seems to be that many Perth people have a strong streak of isolationism - they'd rather be different to everywhere else.
It's geographic setting allows it to happen but there are parts of the world these days, where they are focusing on fostering a local identity in opposition to globalistion where common identity etc is emphasised like in Europe.

Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney seem to have in more in common these days. When I was a kid, the three cities seemed distinctly different to me.

I do like how Perth people like to do things a little different.

I was amazed that Perth has their own version of Yogo, and you cannot get the regular Yogo. I'm only presenting it as an example.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks

Perlon liked this post
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 12:10 PM   #111
Citystyle
Watch my Chops

Likes (Received): 696

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbcity View Post
LOL I was hoping you weren't going to respond at all. It's usually the best reply for those kind of posts.
Why? The chip on the should have been called out earlier if anything. He's had very little positive to say about Perth since leaving, certainly not in the way of constructive criticism like many other former Perth residents on the these forums.

You find similar attitudes and sentiments among rural kids moving to Perth for boarding school and university. Usually they grow out of it.

In the end most people move for opportunities and for the experience, others move for more personal reasons. The vast majority of people who move away from their place of birth move back and it's not really a surprise.
Sec. 31 But how far has he given it us? To enjoy. As much as anyone can make use of to any advantage of life before it spoils, whatever is beyond this, is more than his share, and belongs to others. Nothing was made by God for man to spoil or destroy. And thus considering the plenty of natural provisions there was a long time in the world, and the few spenders, and to how small a part provision the industry of one man could extend itself, and ingross itself to the prejudice of others.
- John Locke

Last edited by Citystyle; December 18th, 2014 at 12:21 PM.
Citystyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 05:05 AM   #112
RocStar
Perth's Beach

Likes (Received): 976

*bump for PD
Old January 28th, 2015, 05:40 AM   #113
PD
perthistan

^Thanks Roc.

This is now officially UC.
Siteworks been underway for a while, but knowing the curse on the site we didnt consider it UC until this crane went up.
Office component going up first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendo View Post
DSC_0086 by Brendan Lake, on Flickr

Perlon liked this post
Old February 3rd, 2015, 02:12 PM   #114
jarkti
World's Happiest Person

Likes (Received): 808

How did I miss this thread, I knew every single one of the projects going UC or proposed for Perth but seeing them all in one thread makes you realize how many there actually is!

Well done PD!
Old February 4th, 2015, 08:44 AM   #115
PD
perthistan

Not the prettiest looking, but these 2 towers will dominate that part of the city.
The blue glass is an 120m office tower, the gold tint is a 110m westin hotel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbicus View Post
Further revised designs from CoP DAC:

The buildings themselves are still straight up ugly but I'm finding myself hating the public realm less -- even the ballroom bellyflopping onto the heritage building. Was in agreement with the DAC's position that "applicant’s response to the Committee’s previous advice did not meet the Committee’s expectations and considers that the overall proposal has flawed outcomes in architectural terms", but then they went full retard:

It's far from an ideal outcome but on what planet is building over the top of public open space a better outcome than cantilevering above a heritage building? Useless cunce.

dallas liked this post
Old February 4th, 2015, 09:21 PM   #116
Fabian

The Westin looks horrid at this stage.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks

Zeefox, hack404 liked this post
Old February 5th, 2015, 05:24 AM   #117
hack404

Likes (Received): 1433

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
I was amazed that Perth has their own version of Yogo, and you cannot get the regular Yogo. I'm only presenting it as an example.
Something to do with the milk wars of the 80s and 90s. IIRC the WA Peter's operated separately from the eastern states companies of the same name. It's now produced by Brownes in WA.
Old February 5th, 2015, 06:38 AM   #118
PD
perthistan

Quote:
The Westin looks horrid at this stage.
Yeah not exactly the most exciting project for perth atm,
but at the very least it is a golden coloured glass so that will redeem it somewhat imo.
Old February 5th, 2015, 08:14 AM   #119
Fabian

I just hope that the glass is uber reflective.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Old February 5th, 2015, 11:27 AM   #120
dallas

Likes (Received): 998

Quote:
I just hope that the glass is uber reflective.
I think it will be like the Hyatt on Collins St in Melbourne.
dallas está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement