DARWIN - #PROPOSED: Darwin Waterfront - 22st / 84m / mixed - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Northern Territory

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 10th, 2014, 04:04 AM   #1
wilkiebarkid
Beautiful Mountain

Likes (Received): 355

DARWIN - #PROPOSED: Darwin Waterfront - 22st / 84m / mixed

A planning notice has been lodged by TOGA Group for a 22 level building at the Darwin Waterfront development.

The height of the ground level is 13 metres and the accommodation levels are 3.2 metres in height.

Last edited by wilkiebarkid; October 10th, 2014 at 05:14 AM.
wilkiebarkid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 10th, 2014, 04:38 AM   #2
seanoff

Likes (Received): 64

So this is on the old power station site as per the masterplan.

Lots of 1 bedders it must be said. Not sure the demand will be there when it's finished
seanoff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 05:31 AM   #3
Skyline Art
®

Likes (Received): 1420

Where about's is the old power station site?

I did a google and cannot exactly pin point it. Is it where the Strokes Hill is?

Yes, I don't think so many one bedders should be built... That spot surely would be attractive to cater for a few 2 and 3 bedders too.... I don't know about the current demand now and later, but I would think some people would be wanting more than one room if this was to be built.
Skyline Art no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 10th, 2014, 05:33 AM   #4
wilkiebarkid
Beautiful Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline Art View Post
Where about's is the old power station site?

I did a google and cannot exactly pin point it. Is it where the Strokes Hill is?
YES
Old October 10th, 2014, 06:09 AM   #5
Skyline Art
®

Likes (Received): 1420

ok thanks.

Do you have a subscription to Planning alerts?
Skyline Art no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 06:42 AM   #6
wilkiebarkid
Beautiful Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline Art View Post
ok thanks.

Do you have a subscription to Planning alerts?
No, I just go on to the planning notices section of NT Planning, which is updated every Friday.
Old October 10th, 2014, 06:59 AM   #7
wilkiebarkid
Beautiful Mountain

Location. This will be the first of what looks to be 3 developments here. This will be the middle one.

Skyline Art, Eastern37, Holy Frog liked this post
Old October 11th, 2014, 02:09 PM   #8
Eastern37
Optimist

Likes (Received): 3600

Love the "Tropical" design of this, perfect for Darwin. Should look very tall in that spot as well!
Old October 12th, 2014, 02:28 PM   #9
Danubis
i've changed my mind

Likes (Received): 2483

Damn, that's where i was going to put the museum of indigenous australia, made of glass in the shape of uluru
Old October 13th, 2014, 02:27 AM   #10
OptomistOne

Likes (Received): 1021

Wilkiebarkid, is that the Darwin sewerage works in the top left hand corner of the photograph adjacent to the site of the new building? If so, nice, but I suspect they are old oil tanks for the power station. Hope so for the new residents!

London, the World's Greatest City.......................................after Hobart.
OptomistOne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2014, 03:54 AM   #11
wilkiebarkid
Beautiful Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptomistOne View Post
Wilkiebarkid, is that the Darwin sewerage works in the top left hand corner of the photograph adjacent to the site of the new building? If so, nice, but I suspect they are old oil tanks for the power station. Hope so for the new residents!
Not 100% sure 'O', when I lived there the entrance to those tanks was a secure gated Defence facility. So I wouldn't think that it was a sewerage treatment facility. All the large oil tanks along McMinn Street were removed a long time ago, so I'm not sure why these still extist.
Old October 13th, 2014, 04:02 AM   #12
OptomistOne

Cheers 'W'. Ah, secret defence business maybe or just an old photograph?

Cant wait to visit Darwin one day and see all the developments myself. Might try the Ghan from Adelaide - that looks like an experience!

London, the World's Greatest City.......................................after Hobart.
Old October 13th, 2014, 04:06 AM   #13
Oriolus
OzScrapers Moderator

Likes (Received): 2341

The white tanks are the Stokes Hill Naval Fuel Installation, which is still operational, so I guess development will just have to work around it for now.

Visit me on flickr

Holy Frog liked this post
Oriolus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2014, 06:41 AM   #14
OptomistOne

^ Thanks Oriolus. Can't see that site remaining in Defence's hands for much longer then once developers start knocking on its door wanting it for upscale resi projects...also how dangerous is it to have residential construction so close to 8 million litres of highly explosive fuel oil and other chemicals? Its a suprise the Council even allowed the TOGA development to proceed before that site was closed down and moved away!

Old October 14th, 2014, 01:31 PM   #15
seanoff

Quote:
^ Thanks Oriolus. Can't see that site remaining in Defence's hands for much longer then once developers start knocking on its door wanting it for upscale resi projects...also how dangerous is it to have residential construction so close to 8 million litres of highly explosive fuel oil and other chemicals? Its a suprise the Council even allowed the TOGA development to proceed before that site was closed down and moved away!
It's ADF. The chances of it moving are vanishingly remote. See airport, also see building height restrictions.

It's heavy fuel for ships, not particularly flammable and needs pre-heating to combust in an engine, you have to make a definite and reasonably specific effort to make it burn. You can throw a match into bunker oil and it will have no effect.

OptomistOne, Eastern37 liked this post
Old October 14th, 2014, 02:38 PM   #16
wilkiebarkid
Beautiful Mountain

In the original Masterplan the tanks appear to be a permanent fixture.

You would think that some day in the future they will be removed or relocated.

Last edited by wilkiebarkid; October 14th, 2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old October 15th, 2014, 12:55 AM   #17
OptomistOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanoff View Post
It's ADF. The chances of it moving are vanishingly remote. See airport, also see building height restrictions.

It's heavy fuel for ships, not particularly flammable and needs pre-heating to combust in an engine, you have to make a definite and reasonably specific effort to make it burn. You can throw a match into bunker oil and it will have no effect.
Thanks seanoff for the info. But, if I was in charge of it given the location, and on-going budget pressures, I reckon that site will be sold off a lot sooner than we all can imagine...Darwin is moving so fast right now.

So, come back in 25 years and I bet you London to a brick, there will be a gaggle of shiny new apartment complexes and hotels right there!

Old October 15th, 2014, 08:07 AM   #18
seanoff

Quote:
Thanks seanoff for the info. But, if I was in charge of it given the location, and on-going budget pressures, I reckon that site will be sold off a lot sooner than we all can imagine...Darwin is moving so fast right now.

So, come back in 25 years and I bet you London to a brick, there will be a gaggle of shiny new apartment complexes and hotels right there!
as long as the larger RAN fleet vessels pull up at Fort Hill and the patrol boat base is at Larrakeyah, the chances of them moving those tanks is exactly NIL.

there is no other place for them in the above scenario. they aren't moving to the base, they aren't moving around the harbour anywhere for the following reasons. the next most logical spot is Charles Darwin NATIONAL PARK and they aint going there. then East Arm, which would require a lot of ancillary infrastructure to get the fuel across Frances Bay. then Blayden Point or out with Conoco. same as east arm but with even more expensive transport infrastructure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement