Projects & Discussion | NSW | Sporting Arenas & Facilities - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > New South Wales

New South Wales » Sydney CBD | Parramatta CBD | Sydney Metro Area | Regional NSW

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 13th, 2015, 12:17 PM   #61
Harry Andrews

Likes (Received): 1551

Oasis Resort redux. Even down to the same unlicensed park being subsumed:
Harry Andrews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 14th, 2015, 08:33 AM   #62
Panther Power

Likes (Received): 975

Parramatta Eels, Western Sydney Wanderers to play full seasons at Pirtek Stadium before knockdown-rebuild

THE Parramatta Eels will follow Western Sydney Wanderers in completing their season at Pirtek Stadium before both have to find temporary homes for up to three years.

The Eels have been advised they will have an “uninterrupted” 2016 NRL season.

The 21,000-capacity Pirtek Stadium will be demolished to make way for a new $300 million 30,000-seat venue, which is expected to be completed in 2019.

That would see the Wanderers miss up to three seasons (2016-17 to 2018-19) and the Eels at least two.

Parramatta Eels acting chief executive John Boulous said the club was excited to be at Pirtek Stadium for a full 2016 season.

“Our discussions with the NSW Government have so far indicated that our 2016 season won’t be interrupted, and that work will commence sometime in September 2016,” Boulous told the Parramatta Advertiser.

“As more information is confirmed, we will consult all our members about the relocation process for 2017 to make the transition smooth.

“In 2016 we’re looking forward to continuing the same stadium format as this year, which sees us play 11 home games in Sydney and one in Darwin.”

A NSW Office of Sport spokesman said Pirtek Stadium owner Venues NSW is working with the Eels and Wanderers to ensure the clubs’ needs are catered for, as well as meeting the State Government’s deadlines.

The Eels are expected to use ANZ Stadium, where they have been playing selected home games in recent years.

The Wanderers may hold derbies against Sydney FC at ANZ Stadium. They have already used Pepper Stadium in Penrith for occasional games, while Belmore Sports Ground and Campbelltown Stadium are also potential temporary grounds.

Wanderers chief executive John Tsatsimas said members would be involved in the process of finding a new short-term home.

“This needs to be a decision based on both a practicality and financially prudent base,” Tsatsimas said.

“We need to ensure we have the ability to not only look after our member interests but also how we can provide new members the opportunity to join the club and secure a seat in the new venue when it is complete.

“There are a number of venues across western Sydney that are under consideration and all will be carefully reviewed to ensure we have the best outcome for our team, our fans and our members.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1227588023382
Panther Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 09:02 AM   #63
Strait City

Likes (Received): 166

There is no need to knock down Parra Stadium. With some smarts it could be refurbished to seat 30,000 and make it a boutique stadium of world class standards. This would allow both the WSW and Eels to play their seasons uninterrupted. There may be some reduced capacity, but it can be done. Plenty of examples in Europe (e.g. Stadio Frulli in Udine).

Demo is a complete waste of taxpayers money.
Strait City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 13th, 2016, 01:43 PM   #64
Sky_Is_The_Limit

Likes (Received): 7693

New proposal for the Sydney Olympic Park Tennis Centre. Ken Rosewall Arena could become a multi-purpose venue with a roof, at a third of the cost of building a similarly sized multi-purpose venue in the inner city.

Weather proofing the stadium would be a big shot in the arm for the Apia International, with another article out today showing the tournament's attendance figures are down 37 percent in the 3 years since 2012:
2016: TBD
2015: 56,301
2014: 63,837
2013: 78,393
2012: 89,924
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/s...#ixzz3x7k5jVP7

Quote:
Sydney Olympic Park Authority begins plans to put $50 million roof on Ken Rosewall Arena
January 13, 2016 - 6:44PM
Michael Chammas

Photo hosted on: http://postimage.org/

The Sydney Olympic Park Authority has begun plans for a $50 million project to put a roof on Ken Rosewall Arena and transform the tennis venue into a multi-purpose facility.

With crowds at the Sydney International dwindling and the city searching for an indoor facility to host top-flight sport and entertainment, SOPA has commissioned BVN Architects to design a roof for the 11,000-seat Olympic tennis facility.

Fairfax Media understands Tennis NSW, Netball NSW and Basketball NSW have all backed the plans to put a roof on the venue, which would require partial funding from SOPA. The Sydney Kings and NSW Swifts are being earmarked as permanent residents.

"We looked at not just a closing roof for tennis, but actually what it would take to get it as a multi-purpose stadium," BVN Architects practice director Ross Seymour.

"Once it has a roof you can take basketball and netball events. I believe there's a lot of support from the potential users. Netball, basketball and obviously Tennis NSW are behind this. It would take some support from the state government in terms of funding."

The state government has just begun a feasibility study on a potential $150 million indoor facility to be built in the CBD. However, the redevelopment of Ken Rosewall Arena might prove a cheaper alternative - despite hope there could be room for both projects in the budget.

The $50 million budget estimation to transform Ken Rosewall Arena also includes the renovation of the changing room facilities that would allow for team sports to be played. It also includes plans to incorporate corporate facilities on the second level platform as well as additional options at the top of the grandstand.

"That $50 million budget doesn't just include the roof, it's also to update some of the base building facilities," Seymour said.

"Because it would be used for a team sport like basketball or netball, you would need to update the change rooms and the number of change rooms.

"The idea is that it will also take events, so things like green rooms and capabilities to cater for performers. It's a reasonably minor part of the $50 million budget but it's an important component of ensuring it's a quality multi-purpose arena."

The artist's impression of the transformed Ken Rosewall Arena shows a "circular oculus" design, which would work on a rotating louvre system that would allow the control of light and ventilation while also providing protection from wet weather.

The Sydney International is in desperate need of a boost having experienced a 37 per cent drop in attendance figures since 2012.

The Australian Open is growing from strength to strength, while the Hopman Cup and Brisbane International are able to attract the biggest names with enclosed courts at both venues.

Total crowd figures have been hovering on either side of the 100,000 mark for the past few years in Brisbane and Perth, however just over 56,000 attended last year's Sydney tournament, which included Australians Bernard Tomic, Nick Kyrgios and Sam Stosur.

The light rail connection to be built through the Sydney Olympic Park precinct - which runs from Parramatta through Rosehill to Strathfield - will also stop near Ken Rosewall Arena, while a new off ramp westbound on the M4 at Hill Road will also provide easier access to the venue.

Plans are still in the early stages but Seymour believes it could be up and running in time for the 2018 Sydney International.

"It's a fairly efficient build compared to a new build," Seymour said.

"It could be achieved relatively quickly. I think it would be built in less than 12 months I would expect, but the design phase would push it out past next year's tournament but it could definitely be ready in time for the 2018 tournament. It would bring the facility back up to an international benchmark level."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/s...#ixzz3x7ixL04T
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

nameless dude, upwards, Harry Andrews liked this post
Sky_Is_The_Limit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2016, 11:54 PM   #65
Inego

Likes (Received): 191

Needs to be funded of course. Tennis NSW would rather be nearer the city, so SOPA could end up without a tenant. Demolition and repurposing the Homebush site would be another option - even for the Olympics it seemed a second-rate stadium.
Inego no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2016, 09:32 AM   #66
mrErythroxylum

Likes (Received): 556

found this.. an update on the NSW governments stadium funding plans

NRL clubs to decide future of Sydney's stadiums after Baird policy switch

Sydney's stadium plans are set to be overhauled with six NRL clubs close to agreeing to ask the Baird government to scrap a new stadium at Moore Park and upgrade the Sydney Olympic Park stadium instead.

In the past fortnight Premier Mike Baird asked the NRL for its opinion on the government's current plans to direct about $800 million of $1 billion in funding to replacing the inner-city Allianz stadium and $200 million to ANZ stadium at Olympic Park.

If the NRL and six Sydney-based clubs would like those funding levels switched to turn ANZ Stadium into a premium rectangular venue, the government is likely to agree.

That would mean ditching plans to build a new stadium at Moore Park, frustrating the powerful Sydney Cricket & Sports Ground Trust which would have to be content with refurbishing the 45,000 seat Allianz stadium.

The Sydney Roosters, Canterbury Bulldogs, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Wests Tigers, St George Illawarra Dragons and Parramatta Eels were approached a fortnight ago and have been discussing the best way to use the government funding.

The matter has been deemed urgent, with the state government hopeful of an answer by the end of the month.

If the clubs request the funding switch, it could represent a remarkable turn-around in policy after Mr Baird committed to building the new stadium at Moore Park only in September.

But the departure of former NRL chief executive Dave Smith, who was a proponent of the SCG Trust's stadium plans, has created the opportunity for the re-think.

When Mr Baird and Sports Minister Stuart Ayres announced the funding split, it was as part of an overall $1.6 billion stadium funding package. The first stadium to be built would be a replacement for Pirtek Stadium in Parramatta, but ANZ and Allianz would then share about $1 billion.

However the decision to direct the bulk of that money to a 55,000 seat replacement for Allianz was criticised last year on the grounds that that stadium rarely sold out, and that the majority of rugby league fans lived closer to Olympic Park.

Souths chief executive John Lee, a former director-general of NSW Transport, said on Wednesday that planning policy for major sporting infrastructure was predominantly focused on access – "pedestrian, car and public transport access to the precinct."

"Olympic Park is superior in two of the three criteria," Mr Lee told Fairfax Media.

"We all tried Allianz years ago and it's a great boutique little stadium but it's not the premium rectangle," said Mr Lee, adding that Olympic Park was closer to the geographic centre of Sydney, and had much better public transport and parking.

"We are all in furious agreement in the clubs that Homebush was designed for a sports carnival and it needs to be redesigned for the best rectangular events sports in the country: eg. a Bledisloe, Australia qualifying for the World Cup, State of Origin," he said.

The potential about-turn comes after the Sports Minister Stuart Ayres inflamed tensions in the inner city by appearing to support a push by the SCG Trust to build a new stadium on Kippax Lake, on land managed by the neighbouring Centennial Park and Moore Park Trust.

"If you move the stadium, for instance, the space where the existing stadium is can be redeveloped as open recreational green space, it can be redeveloped as playing fields," Mr Ayres told ABC702 on Wednesday morning.
But building a stadium on Centennial Park land would contradict a cabinet decision last year that any new stadium at Moore Park would need to be on SCG land.

The comments triggered an immediate outcry. The chairman of the Centennial Park Trust, Tony Ryan, said: "We were disappointed to learn of the comments of the minister which appear to contradict the government's stated position regarding the Allianz Stadium redevelopment."

But Mr Ayres told Fairfax Media that he was not supporting the idea of a stadium on Centennial Park land.

"The government has a clear stated intention to build a new stadium and it intends to build that stadium on land that is administered by the SCG Trust," Mr Ayres said.

It may yet emerge, however, that no new stadium is built at Moore Park. It is understood that the Roosters support the idea of a refurbished Allianz, rather than a new stadium that would be rarely filled.

The NRL met with the six clubs last week, presenting detailed facts and figures about patronage at different venues. It is understood the NRL is keen for ANZ Stadium to receive the bulk of the funding – a proposition the clubs are set to approve at another meeting in a fortnight.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/nrl-clubs-...#ixzz4020MhmmP
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/nrl-clubs-...10-gmqq96.html
Old February 26th, 2016, 12:57 AM   #67
mrErythroxylum

just afew million from the NSW governments billion plus dollars going into the states sporting facilities i think has to go to completing newcastle's hunter stadium.

At the moment its about an 80% completed new stadium, but atm looks alittle embarressing (specially during the asian cup) as the northern and southern ends have not been finished. it wouldnt cost too much to full in the ends with seats in a single tier (just as its non world cup plans were).

I havent heard anything from the government if they plan to use part of the funds to finish the stadium, does anybody know if they are?

anyways I did some photoshopping and came up with this... its what hunter stadium would look once completed.

mrErythroxylum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2016, 03:16 AM   #68
Harry Andrews

I believe the preferred plan is for stands at either end, similar in height to the existing stands.
Old February 26th, 2016, 05:56 AM   #69
mrErythroxylum

im pretty sure that was if australia hosted the world cup, the second tiers on both ends were going to be tempory.
Old February 26th, 2016, 07:34 AM   #70
Harry Andrews

I saw a Newcastle Herald front page over Christmas, with an artist's impression of the ground with two permanent stands at either end.
Old February 26th, 2016, 11:03 AM   #71
RustyC

Likes (Received): 79

Why does Hunter need an upgrade? Other then the aesthetics of 'fixing' up the two ends?

Honestly asking - I haven't been in a couple of years, and it was Ok when I last went. The capacity is listed as 30k and the Knights only averaged 17616 last year, and the Jets 10438 - do either need more capacity? Are we going to see many games if any played here that get over 30k?
RustyC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2016, 11:05 AM   #72
RustyC

^

Sorry capacity is 33k - which is above the ground record attendance, which was set all the way back in 1995.
Old February 26th, 2016, 02:17 PM   #73
poguemahone

Likes (Received): 956

It doesn't need anything done to it anytime soon. The two new stands have great facilities, especially corporate. SFS, Parramatta and ANZ need work done before Turton Road.
poguemahone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2016, 05:34 PM   #74
RustyC

^

That was my thought too, but I am keen to hear from locals - and those who use the stadium.

More generally I would be keen to see some of the money spread out a little .

I am a Manly fan and would like to see some money thrown at Brookie, but the likelihood is almost nil I think now. This is despite the fact that the competition the NRL should be aiming to emulate as much as possible is the EPL in the UK, not the AFL with its 2 stadium policy in my honest opinion. Sport is tribal at its best, and Sydney's public transport is just not up to the standards needed to concentrate everyone in two (or three) grounds. Boutique 25k stadiums are ideal in my opinion.

But again I hate watching games in a 50% empty ground.

Watching the Bulldogs play (on the rare occasion) at Belmore tells you what we are missing out on - great crowds, full or almost full and tribal atmosphere evident. Something we have already lost to a degree and risk loosing even more of if we move from grounds like Brookvale or Penrith to ANZ and SFS.
Old February 26th, 2016, 05:45 PM   #75
poguemahone

Likes (Received): 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyC View Post
^

That was my thought too, but I am keen to hear from locals - and those who use the stadium.

More generally I would be keen to see some of the money spread out a little .

I am a Manly fan and would like to see some money thrown at Brookie, but the likelihood is almost nil I think now. This is despite the fact that the competition the NRL should be aiming to emulate as much as possible is the EPL in the UK, not the AFL with its 2 stadium policy in my honest opinion. Sport is tribal at its best, and Sydney's public transport is just not up to the standards needed to concentrate everyone in two (or three) grounds. Boutique 25k stadiums are ideal in my opinion.

But again I hate watching games in a 50% empty ground.

Watching the Bulldogs play (on the rare occasion) at Belmore tells you what we are missing out on - great crowds, full or almost full and tribal atmosphere evident. Something we have already lost to a degree and risk loosing even more of if we move from grounds like Brookvale or Penrith to ANZ and SFS.
I visit once or twice a season to watch Sydney FC and I think for the time being it is perfectly fine. I'm happy with the way they are slowly rebuilding it. The new stand is only about 2-3 seasons old now, so I don't think it's unreasonable to hold off any more upgrades for another 5 years or so.
poguemahone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 09:37 AM   #76
mrErythroxylum

Here is a recent article on the possible ANZ upgrade...

THE REDEVELOPMENT PLAN

-World-class rectangular Stadium
-Seating steeper and closer to the action
-Supercharged game-day atmosphere
-Roofing keeps fans dry
-Intimate Mode allows Stadium to better adapt to small, medium and large events
-Lively Stadium precinct
-Technological superdome

IN the wake of the NSW Government announcing that it intends to redevelop Sydney’s Olympic stadium as part of a $1.5 billion-plus investment in Sydney’s major sporting infrastructure, fans are looking to the future with great anticipation.

Seating will move dramatically closer to the action for Football, Rugby League and Rugby Union under the two overarching redevelopment plans under consideration.

One of the great challenges for Olympic stadiums around the world is for them to adapt to the needs of professional sports going forward. Sydney’s ANZ Stadium has been more successful than others, with moveable stands east and west part of a post-Games reconfiguration that was planned before the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

Global construction and engineering company Laing O’Rourke and world-renowned architects BVN Donovan Hill have unveiled design concepts for the redevelopment of ANZ Stadium, which includes technology that will enable Sydney’s Olympic stadium to configure to a perfect rectangular arena, bringing fans as close as 5m to the action.

Under the Laing O’Rourke plan, there are two options:

a) Option 1:
This shows moveable grandstands at the northern and southern ends of ANZ Stadium that will bring fans to within 5m of the action and increase the rake (or steepness) of the seating. This is a cost-effective redevelopment strategy that would allow the Stadium to remain a multi-purpose venue and make the transition to a Stadium suitable for future international events such as Olympic or Commonwealth Games or the World Athletics Championships;

b) Option 2: A spectacular total redevelopment of ANZ Stadium into a permanent rectangular stadium, which in addition to bringing the front rows to within 5m of the action, would bring all seating across six levels significantly closer (including Member and Corporate seating, VIP lounges on Level 5 and the high-capacity seats on Level 6).

Under both redevelopment models, an absolute redevelopment priority is to bring as many fans as possible closer to the action.

Almost 25,000 fans seated in the northern and southern general public areas would be in the thick of the behind-goals action as a result of revolutionary new end stands.

The popular behind-the-goals seating areas at ANZ Stadium have famously hosted some of the biggest supporter groups in Australian sport – the wig-wearing Blatchy’s Blues for State of Origin rugby league, the Green & Gold Army of the Socceroos, the Gold Brigade of the Australian Wallabies, The Burrow of the South Sydney Rabbitohs, The Kennel of the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, and The Cove of Sydney FC in huge international matches against Spurs and Chelsea.

Project Director Ed Obiala believes the redevelopment of ANZ Stadium will transform the viewing experience at ANZ Stadium, setting it up for an exciting new era.

http://www.anzstadium.com.au/the-stadium/anz-stadium-redevelopment/fans-up-close-personal/
Old March 8th, 2016, 01:04 AM   #77
Mephisto

Likes (Received): 60

I like option 2. We're not going to host an Olympics anytime soon, once we get to that point surely we can look at building a new stadium then (30-40 years).

The SCG is perfect for AFL games and cricket and could possibly be configured for a world athletics meet.

We need a world class rectangle stadium, not a multi-purpose that is a jack of all trades but master of none.

Panther Power liked this post
Mephisto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2016, 11:56 PM   #78
Mornnb

Likes (Received): 3741

ANZ Stadium should remain as the premium stadium for major events with a capacity over 80k. It will be required and it should be multi-use as not every major event is rectangular.
We should build a premium recangular stadium at Moore Park as well.
Old March 13th, 2016, 03:57 AM   #79
Extare
exto, extare, extiti

Likes (Received): 56

AFL and cricket have both indicated that prefer the SCG to ANZ. There's no major oval events Sydney that aren't better suited to the SCG. Give Sydney a true permanent rectangular stadium.

Walbanger, Arreis liked this post
Extare no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2016, 02:39 AM   #80
Mephisto

Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mornnb View Post
ANZ Stadium should remain as the premium stadium for major events with a capacity over 80k. It will be required and it should be multi-use as not every major event is rectangular.
We should build a premium recangular stadium at Moore Park as well.
Disagree - what major events are non-rectangular?

I do agree that ANZ should remain as the major stadium, but a major stadium is one that is rectangular as well as seating over 80,000.

Keep AFL and Cricket at the SCG.
Mephisto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mandurahboyz