Projects & Discussion | NSW | Sporting Arenas & Facilities - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > New South Wales

New South Wales » Sydney CBD | Parramatta CBD | Sydney Metro Area | Regional NSW

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 17th, 2016, 08:33 AM   #121
mandonov
Sure, Jan...

Likes (Received): 1913

Hopefully that Ken Rosewall upgrade is at least being seriously considered. According to a recent-ish SMH article it would only cost $50m, which is chump change in the overall sporting budget. The plan would also support three different sports (tennis, basketball, and netball), so that's a lot of benefit for a little investment.
Advertisement

Old April 17th, 2016, 08:52 AM   #122
mandonov
Sure, Jan...

BTW, don't know if this was posted or not:
http://www.sopa.nsw.gov.au/resource_...dos_bank_arena

Quote:
Allphones Arena name change to Qudos Bank Arena
11 Apr 2016

Allphones Arena, Australia’s premier entertainment venue located in Sydney’s Olympic Park precinct has undergone an exciting name change.
The venue will be known as ‘Qudos Bank Arena’.
Since its inception in September 1999, the venue has presented 1,050 events to more than 8.6 million fans and is the venue of choice in Sydney for major bands and artists when touring Australia.
It continues to figure among the top arenas in the world, recently ranked by Billboard at number 8 for ticket sales for venues with a capacity of 15,000 and above.
The long term agreement was negotiated by the Australian AEG Global Partnerships and AEG Ogden teams, in conjunction with their colleagues in London and Los Angeles.
“The multi-year deal ensures the name Qudos Bank Arena will become synonymous with some of the greatest touring artists in the world,” Paul Samuels, Executive Vice President of Global Partnerships concluded.
This world-class entertainment facility, once used as an Indoor Arena for the 2000 Games, today brings significant social and economic benefits to NSW, a testament of a successful Olympic legacy.
So apparently Qudos is the weird new name of Qantas Credit Union. It seems as soon as the wrecking ball moved in on the Entertainment Centre, they immediately jumped on branding another arena.
I was always surprised Allphones had enough money to brand something on that scale.

Last edited by mandonov; April 17th, 2016 at 09:08 AM.
mandonov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2016, 11:43 AM   #123
cnd
downtown.

Likes (Received): 21240

Geez and I thought the Allphones branding was bad enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 17th, 2016, 02:50 PM   #124
mandonov
Sure, Jan...

I still call it Acer Arena.

(and just realised that I should have posted it in the Cultural Venues thread, sorry)
Old April 17th, 2016, 02:59 PM   #125
papervagina
spider inside my dreams

I call it Sydney Superdome.
papervagina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 01:22 PM   #126
Brizer

Likes (Received): 6602

They've got a bloody funny idea of what's 'exciting'.

Oh, look, some Frightfully Clever Fellow has combined Qantas with Kudos to form Qudos.
Oh, I say, jolly, jolly fine job.

Tosser.
Brizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 02:17 PM   #127
felx22

Likes (Received): 99

Baird really knows how to waste money doesn't he? 1.6 billion dollars for what? To make a premier sports venue smaller, upgrade a stadium that is never full and demolish Pirtek just to make it 10k bigger. Meanwhile Hunter stadium gets shit all.
felx22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 02:26 PM   #128
poguemahone

Likes (Received): 956

Lol why does everyone keep mentioning Hunter Stadium, it's just gotten 2 new stands and doesn't need the capacity increased anytime soon. The facilities in the two main stands at Hunter are 10000x better than Allianz and Pirtek.
poguemahone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 05:45 PM   #129
felx22

Take it is a grain of salt. But I'm more just leaning to the fact Baird is wasting money with little future return on investments.
Old April 19th, 2016, 12:15 AM   #130
TOCC

Likes (Received): 2781

Projects & Discussion | NSW | Sporting Arenas & Facilities

On ANZ unfortunately I think it's a bit of a waste of money, sure they can add a roof and build a lower tier but they are still stuck with the existing super structure. A massive issue is that the upper tiers of the main stands are to far away from the playing surface and this won't change under the proposed redevelopment.

The distance from the playing surface is why atmosphere is always lacking and also makes it a miserable stadium to watch any rectangular sports at.

Conversely you have Suncorp Stadium where the upper tiers are directly above the lower tiers and nice and close to the pitch, makes for great viewing and the density of the fans naturally increases atmosphere.

Sydney would be better off building a new dedicated stadium from scratch, if they 'upgrade' then Sydney will be stuck with that stadium for decades to come.
TOCC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2016, 02:53 AM   #131
mandonov
Sure, Jan...

Have you looked at the diagrams of the rearranged seating yet? Most of the stands are dramatically closer to the pitch.
Old April 19th, 2016, 08:17 AM   #132
jammi

Likes (Received): 1001

jammi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2016, 11:24 AM   #133
mrErythroxylum

Likes (Received): 556

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandonov View Post
Have you looked at the diagrams of the rearranged seating yet? Most of the stands are dramatically closer to the pitch.
Yeh as I posted on the previous page, this ANZ upgrade is basically a brand new stadium, only the outer shell and roof will remain, all the stands will be torn down an re-built closer and steeper than previous(similar and more than sun cleo),the ground sunken 3m, the roof extended to make retractable, adding retractable stands at the end for rugby-soccer field differences, adding bars/restaurants etc inside stadium where fans can sit down and eat while watching a game, also a state of the art training facility will be built inside the stadium too.

When completed this stadium will be one of the best rectangular stadiums in the world for viewing and facilities.
mrErythroxylum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2016, 01:48 PM   #134
mrErythroxylum

Likes (Received): 556

Some More images and a YouTube clip on how ANZ stadium will look after it's AU$700 million upgrade.

mrErythroxylum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2016, 01:52 PM   #135
felx22

Pffft, who watches rugby union in Australia?

BenAffleck liked this post
Old April 19th, 2016, 03:22 PM   #136
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 1030

The planned redevelopment of Stadium Australia being selected over the new 50,000-capacity football stadium in the Moore Park precinct has got me questioning the latter proposal. Why was such a brand-new football stadium even proposed at Moore Park, anyway? I think the new stadium was proposed because of the Sydney Football Stadium's small size and its owners' unwillingness to have its total capacity be below 40,000.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2016, 02:22 AM   #137
motion

Likes (Received): 157

Want to build a 50k stadium simple build it in parramatta since you're already knocking down the stadium and once and for all close the suburban grounds and move the games between ANZ, parramatta, Sydney, panthers, brook vale and Wollongong.

The parramatta rebuild is a massive missed opportunity if not for today at least for tomorrow! Even the nrl clubs were in favor of parramatta stadium over Allianz it is MUCH more central to a lot of teams and MUCH more accessible and has way more potential! It had the chance to be suncorp stadium of New South Wales especially with light rail being built and a brand new city
motion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2016, 10:20 AM   #138
hornetfig

We should also move the AFL grand find to this 50k rectangular stadium in Parramatta because it's in Parramatta.

jammi, mw123 liked this post
hornetfig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2016, 12:45 PM   #139
lordpine

Likes (Received): 400

Potential deal between Liverpool FC and our own potential new Liverpool stadium

Last edited by lordpine; April 20th, 2016 at 12:51 PM.
lordpine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2016, 03:11 AM   #140
Michael_Parramatta

Likes (Received): 372

I grew up close to Liverpool and have strong connections to the area. You might remember all the talk of the Bulldogs moving to Liverpool and the new stadium that would be built some years ago so I am a little sceptical. I find it interesting that they are asking for $600 million for the new 30K stadium yet Parramatta is only getting $300 million for our new 30K. I am wondering if the new Parra stadium is going to be done on a tight budget. I don't know anything about stadiums and prices though. Allianz is getting $450 Million for the 'renovation' which is more than our knockdown and rebuild budget...
Michael_Parramatta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mandurahboyz