Discussion | Possible NSW Forum Re-structure Ideas - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > New South Wales

New South Wales » Sydney CBD | Parramatta CBD | Sydney Metro Area | Regional NSW

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: We need the NSW section to be split up
Leave as is. 25 39.68%
Add a Parramatta section 26 41.27%
Add more sections eg Regional NSW, Metro cities 12 19.05%
Other idea (please post in thread) 0 0%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 2nd, 2016, 11:59 AM   #101
Arreis

Likes (Received): 2129

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulogy View Post
The new sub-forums don't appear in the mobile app, so I can't see most of the topics now. I also get a small pop-up saying 'security error (user may not have permission to access this feature)' which is probably related.
I used the app for a while, but it was pretty hopeless. I felt really "disconnected" using it and as you say, some features don't work. I think likes don't work either. I just use the full desktop view on my mobile and it works fine.
Arreis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2016, 12:31 PM   #102
Sky_Is_The_Limit

Likes (Received): 7701

Thanks finn.

1 question - what's everyone's thoughts on North Sydney being in the 'Sydney Metro Area' sub-forum?

North Sydney may be a different LGA to Sydney, but the State Government's metropolitan strategy refers to the two as 'Global Sydney.'

The strategy also refers to the Bays Precinct (predominantly in the Leichhardt LGA) and Central to Eveleigh as part of 'Global Sydney,' and they are included in our new Sydney CBD sub-forum.

Beep1Beep2, mandonov liked this post
Sky_Is_The_Limit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2016, 12:49 PM   #103
Beep1Beep2

Likes (Received): 1473

I think North Sydney should be in the CBD sub forum. If Green Square is in there, North Sydney should too. I've always seen it as a continuation of the CBD. The skyline is just joint by a bridge after all.

Sky_Is_The_Limit liked this post
Beep1Beep2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2016, 05:32 PM   #104
jammi

Likes (Received): 1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beep1Beep2 View Post
I think North Sydney should be in the CBD sub forum. If Green Square is in there, North Sydney should too. I've always seen it as a continuation of the CBD. The skyline is just joint by a bridge after all.
In that case I would argue that Green Square shouldn't be in the CBD forum in the first place.

My view is that North Sydney is a separate centre. The northern edge of the CBD is far more clearly defined than the south/west where I agree things become rather ambiguous. I doubt you would convince many people that the CBD extends further north than the postcard view of Circular Quay, the Opera House and the Bridge.
jammi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 12:57 AM   #105
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 20985

I agree but green sq is actually under sydney city ouncil which maybe the thread should read city of sydney?
Also we need to adress some threads in parra section.because a 90m tower is not the norm.maybe there should be indiv threads for bldgs over 15storeys?
Have plenty of room.only 1 page so far.
Church Hill tower- 1797, Macquarie Tower-1818, St James Church -1822, Garden Palace- 1879, Sydney Harbour Bridge -1932, Sydney Opera House- 1973, Sydney Tower- 1981, Crown Sydney- 2021, twin towers- 2024, supertall 2025 https://www.buildsydney.com/forum
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 03:29 AM   #106
finn

Likes (Received): 2881

I think it's always going to be somewhat of an issue regarding how to define the areas captured under each sub-forum:

- Do we go by LGA? Not much use when some urban centres are dissected by different LGA boundaries, or when LGA boundaries potentially change in the future.

- Do we go by logical associations? Challenge is that this is a subjective judgement.

- I personally think Sydney CBD sub-forum should also include directly adjacent inner-city areas, but how far does this extend? And what happens as areas increase in density and the "inner city" expands.

For the moment it's better to let the recent changes sit for a little while and amend after a period of time, if problems are ongoing.

badbehaviour liked this post
finn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 04:31 AM   #107
motion

Likes (Received): 157

Now that the split it feels like nothing is happening in any of the forums? Especially Sydney cbd. Should have just been split Sydney and parramatta like Brisbane and goldcoast

papervagina, jammi liked this post
motion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 08:39 AM   #108
felx22

Likes (Received): 99

Parramatta isn't it's own city, it's a suburb of the Sydney Metropolitan area.
felx22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 09:35 AM   #109
Parravillian
Grumpy blockhead

Likes (Received): 1062

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion View Post
Now that the split it feels like nothing is happening in any of the forums? Especially Sydney cbd. Should have just been split Sydney and parramatta like Brisbane and goldcoast
There's activity in the Parra section... come over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felx22 View Post
Parramatta isn't it's own city, it's a suburb of the Sydney Metropolitan area.
Of course it is - it always has been. As the 2nd settlement, it is older than any other city (apart from Sydney) or town in Australia. The fact it merged with other settlements as the Metro area grew is somewhat irrelevant. I guess you could also say City of Sydney is only a large suburb of the Sydney metro area...

felx22, Hegemonic liked this post
Parravillian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 02:07 PM   #110
lordpine

Likes (Received): 400

Just gotta voice my opinion. This new format sucks. I go to nsw sub forum to know about things happening in nsw. Not to then have to dive further to find what i may be interested in.. I voted for no change, i know parra is going gang busters but thats why it was so well represented in the nsw section. Nothing needed its own sub forums to keep up.. first page of nsw was always enough to keep up with everything.
Old March 4th, 2016, 12:23 AM   #111
motion

Likes (Received): 157

There just aren't enough projects to have split up the forums tbh. It's all very conceptual too there really isn't much even under construction ATM.

I know it's much neater like this but having to navigating each forum just for one update in each forum is silly.

The Sydney cbd is by far the worst just endless chit chatter about central eveliegh which isn't even at point of concept yet.

jammi liked this post
motion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016, 02:57 AM   #112
Brizer

Likes (Received): 6611

Might be the sensible idea to wait until this new layout has had time to settle in and us to acclimatise to it before we start announcing its death sentence.

We go through periods in all threads when there is a deluge of news followed by periods when buggerall is happening.

Hegemonic liked this post
Brizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016, 12:30 PM   #113
Parravillian
Grumpy blockhead

Likes (Received): 1062

Guys, everyone had a chance to vote and express their opinion. Vote and debate we did. The majority of those who cared enough to click a button stated they wanted to see it split.

You do realise you're being the NIMBYs in this case, don't you?

RoarRa, Hegemonic liked this post
Parravillian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016, 12:35 PM   #114
Arreis

Likes (Received): 2129

The ultimate insult on here. ;-)
Arreis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016, 07:14 PM   #115
Home Grown

Likes (Received): 374

Wow, didn't check in for a week or so and this change was already implemented - wish the mods had deliberated more. Would have preferred the old setup but like others have said, I will still find what I'm looking for - it's just more work now.

There are ebbs and flows with "hot" districts within greater metropolitan Sydney. A short while back Chatswood was hot, now North Sydney and St. Leonards seem poised for more activity. Parra has lots going on now but that too will decline. What I liked previously was that all the active threads bubbled to the top and I didn't need to go searching through a bunch of sub forums. Yes there are many threads, but not all are active at once, even half of the Parra threads have not had activity in the last three months.

Also, equating Parra with the Gold Coast, to me, is inconsistent. The GC is a distinctly separate geographical area, like say Wollongong or Newcastle. There was disagreement on the criteria used to determine what went into a sub forum. Do you use post code, LGA, a "center" and its adjoining suburbs (those that share a boundary), electoral districts (state or federal), statistical areas. What was adopted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Is_The_Limit View Post
Now I know how Spain felt with the Catalonian independence vote
Like England with the Scottish independence vote, or Canada with the Quebecois independence vote. They all flirted with separation but in the end stuck together. Maybe we should have followed their lead?

Sky_Is_The_Limit liked this post
Home Grown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2016, 04:29 AM   #116
finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Grown View Post
Wow, didn't check in for a week or so and this change was already implemented - wish the mods had deliberated more. Would have preferred the old setup but like others have said, I will still find what I'm looking for - it's just more work now.

There are ebbs and flows with "hot" districts within greater metropolitan Sydney. A short while back Chatswood was hot, now North Sydney and St. Leonards seem poised for more activity. Parra has lots going on now but that too will decline. What I liked previously was that all the active threads bubbled to the top and I didn't need to go searching through a bunch of sub forums. Yes there are many threads, but not all are active at once, even half of the Parra threads have not had activity in the last three months.

Also, equating Parra with the Gold Coast, to me, is inconsistent. The GC is a distinctly separate geographical area, like say Wollongong or Newcastle. There was disagreement on the criteria used to determine what went into a sub forum. Do you use post code, LGA, a "center" and its adjoining suburbs (those that share a boundary), electoral districts (state or federal), statistical areas. What was adopted?

Like England with the Scottish independence vote, or Canada with the Quebecois independence vote. They all flirted with separation but in the end stuck together. Maybe we should have followed their lead?
I preferred the old setup as well, but also not going to put my own personal opinions over the preference of the forum majority.

I'm happy to give this a try anyway - I can see how it can work well if there is increasing tall developments going on in Sydney's suburbs in the coming years.

RoarRa, badbehaviour liked this post
Old March 5th, 2016, 06:00 AM   #117
jammi

Likes (Received): 1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parravillian View Post
Guys, everyone had a chance to vote and express their opinion. Vote and debate we did. The majority of those who cared enough to click a button stated they wanted to see it split.
An interesting interpretation of the poll given that the vast, vast majority of people were against breaking the forum down into this many subsections.

Anyway, the change has happened now so I agree that the best thing to do it give things time to settle and reassess in a few weeks/months.
jammi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2016, 07:07 AM   #118
finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammi View Post
An interesting interpretation of the poll given that the vast, vast majority of people were against breaking the forum down into this many subsections.

Anyway, the change has happened now so I agree that the best thing to do it give things time to settle and reassess in a few weeks/months.
I propose we give this set-up about a month and then re-evaluate, say early April and then revisit. Feel free to post ideas on improvements in the meantime and can review again in a month or so. Everything can be changed if required, but let's consider:
- what we like and don't like about the current set-up
- and what we didn't like about the previous set-up that led to many forumers requesting a change.

jammi, upwards, RoarRa liked this post
Old March 5th, 2016, 10:25 AM   #119
RoarRa
RAWR ROAR RAWR

Likes (Received): 793

i dont think there is a thread for queanbeyan, if created where should it be in ACT or NSW???
RoarRa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 02:10 AM   #120
AtD
Bigger is better

Likes (Received): 3426

NSW. Same as Tweed Heads.

When I lived there, Canberrans didn't think of Queanbeyan as part of Canberra, it's "over the border"
AtD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement