Discussion | Possible NSW Forum Re-structure Ideas - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > New South Wales

New South Wales » Sydney CBD | Parramatta CBD | Sydney Metro Area | Regional NSW

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: We need the NSW section to be split up
Leave as is. 25 39.68%
Add a Parramatta section 26 41.27%
Add more sections eg Regional NSW, Metro cities 12 19.05%
Other idea (please post in thread) 0 0%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 7th, 2016, 08:59 AM   #121
mrErythroxylum

Likes (Received): 556

YaY it looks like both mine and Arreis's proposal was used. LoL wheres the credit? haha

Parravillian, Arreis liked this post
mrErythroxylum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2016, 09:21 AM   #122
Brizer

Likes (Received): 6573

I'd keep a low profile for a while yet as it might not be bouquets you receive but brickbats. I'm not yet convinced it is an improvement.

mrErythroxylum, Arreis, shiggyshiggy liked this post
Brizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 09:34 AM   #123
mrErythroxylum

lol duly noted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 8th, 2016, 03:55 AM   #124
Trances
, , and , Fade to Black.

Likes (Received): 49

Liking the new layout

RoarRa, Hegemonic liked this post
Trances no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2016, 12:34 PM   #125
Serious1y

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordpine View Post
This new format sucks.
I agree.

It takes longer to get through everything now.

shiggyshiggy liked this post
Serious1y no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2016, 03:38 PM   #126
mrErythroxylum

It now requires me to make two extra mouse clicks than the old setup did to start browsing the NSW thread, but the new layout requires searching through one maybe two pages to find a particular thread, the old setup could take upto 5 pages to do the same thing.

An example would be if I wanted to find Parramattas 'boomerang' tower proposal, now I open 'parramatta CBD' and find it on the 2nd page, in the older setup I would open up 'NSW' and need to search through 4 pages until I locate it.

Obviously it will take abit to get used to but I am sure as people grow more familiar with the new setup their opinions will change...

Needless to say I really like the new setup and think who ever came up with it are geniuses, but not Einstein level genius, more around the Isaac Newtown level

RoarRa liked this post

Last edited by mrErythroxylum; March 8th, 2016 at 03:45 PM.
Old March 8th, 2016, 04:47 PM   #127
jammi

Likes (Received): 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrErythroxylum View Post
An example would be if I wanted to find Parramattas 'boomerang' tower proposal, now I open 'parramatta CBD' and find it on the 2nd page, in the older setup I would open up 'NSW' and need to search through 4 pages until I locate it.
...Or you could just click on "Search this Forum", type in "boomerang" and ta-da, there's the thread without any need to skim through at all.
jammi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2016, 06:20 PM   #128
mrErythroxylum

Lol but that requires more mouse clicks nut can't do that
Old March 8th, 2016, 10:27 PM   #129
Arreis

Likes (Received): 2129

For what it's worth, i'm still enjoying the new layout. I'm more interested in Parramatta than Sydney CBD, so it's great that i can click straight to that area from the front screen. A great side effect of this change is that i can now do the same with Regional QLD.

Arreis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2016, 02:01 PM   #130
shiggyshiggy
Culture is overrated

Likes (Received): 735

I find the new layout frustrating, also some of the placement of threads doesn't make sense. Before there was one forum, and you could easily keep an eye on various threads, sometimes one would catch the eye that you wouldn't normally be interested in. It was great. Now, I have to actively search out everything. As an example, before I often passed through the Newcastle thread. Now, its in an entirely different forum, I have no reason to go there. I'd actually forgotten we had a 'Gossip' thread, and this used to be the thread most frequented. Altogether this new set up takes more work, and I don't really see what the gain is. Why was this necessary? I mean I get that a change is as good as a holiday, but also don't try and fix what ain't broke....

I remember some months back there was a minor suggestion to separate the Transport thread into two with one devoted to Sydney on its own, in light of all the new porjects. This drew quite the ire of a certain mod. This is funny because that would have been a minor change...whereas this.....what on earth happened to Skyscrapercity?!

mandonov, Beep1Beep2, mw123 liked this post
shiggyshiggy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2016, 04:20 PM   #131
badbehaviour
From Hamilton, NZ

Likes (Received): 27

I find it hilarious how people are so prepared to be the reactive whinger, rather than the proactive planner.

Where were you all in the sea of comments prior to the change???

mrErythroxylum, Hegemonic liked this post
badbehaviour no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2016, 11:43 PM   #132
finn

Likes (Received): 2863

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggyshiggy View Post
I find the new layout frustrating, also some of the placement of threads doesn't make sense. Before there was one forum, and you could easily keep an eye on various threads, sometimes one would catch the eye that you wouldn't normally be interested in. It was great. Now, I have to actively search out everything. As an example, before I often passed through the Newcastle thread. Now, its in an entirely different forum, I have no reason to go there. I'd actually forgotten we had a 'Gossip' thread, and this used to be the thread most frequented. Altogether this new set up takes more work, and I don't really see what the gain is. Why was this necessary? I mean I get that a change is as good as a holiday, but also don't try and fix what ain't broke....

I remember some months back there was a minor suggestion to separate the Transport thread into two with one devoted to Sydney on its own, in light of all the new porjects. This drew quite the ire of a certain mod. This is funny because that would have been a minor change...whereas this.....what on earth happened to Skyscrapercity?!
I refer to previous post (below) and thank you for your comments. The poll currently shows over 60% of forum members who wanted a change (albeit different focuses, although the current format includes both of the ideas as Parramatta has its own section and there are the regional and metro sub-forums).

I'm happy to run another poll and consider reverting or refinement sometime in April/May, but in the meantime all comments are welcomed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn View Post
I propose we give this set-up about a month and then re-evaluate, say early April and then revisit. Feel free to post ideas on improvements in the meantime and can review again in a month or so. Everything can be changed if required, but let's consider:
- what we like and don't like about the current set-up
- and what we didn't like about the previous set-up that led to many forumers requesting a change.
finn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2016, 01:03 AM   #133
shiggyshiggy
Culture is overrated

Likes (Received): 735

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbehaviour View Post
I find it hilarious how people are so prepared to be the reactive whinger, rather than the proactive planner.

Where were you all in the sea of comments prior to the change???
To tell you the truth I didn't think anything would come of it, also I didn't have any issues with how the forum was previously organised.

If you go back and read through the comments you'll see that its almost entirely those who wanted a change, and even those views were highly divergent.

Most people who use these forums were probably more interested in...you know...using the forums. I know I was.

Edit: there is also no need to use such reactive language, and raising perceived problems with something doesn't make you a whiner. Isn't this just a trial?

Last edited by shiggyshiggy; March 10th, 2016 at 03:03 AM.
shiggyshiggy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2016, 02:33 AM   #134
finn

Likes (Received): 2863

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggyshiggy View Post
To tell you the truth I didn't think anything would come of it, also I didn't have any issues with how the forum was previously organised.

If you go back and read through the comments you'll see that its almost entirely those who wanted a change, and even those views were highly divergent.

Most people who use these forums were probably more interested in...you know...using the forums. I know I was.
It's the same thing as happens with non-compulsory voting - generally the people who are passionate about something actually vote. While this may result in slightly skewed representation, the point is that everyone has been given the chance to have their say in the first instance.

So far I have picked up on some possible issues that have arisen from this change, but as mentioned, intend to review again in a month or so. At least this way it's not speculation - we know what the requested change (or close to it) is like and we now have a chance to trial it.
finn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2016, 02:41 AM   #135
Brizer

Likes (Received): 6573

It would be interesting to analyse the voting in terms of location, projects interested in, age, length of 'service' & contribution perhaps.

shiggyshiggy, mrErythroxylum, Arreis liked this post
Brizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2016, 03:41 AM   #136
Beep1Beep2

Likes (Received): 1472

The new layout has its pros and cons. As it has been mentioned some people only care about Parramatta only, so now they have a whole side to themselves. This doesn't factor in how others like to view the forum.

I like to view everything at once, as I've said before in this thread, it's not hard to see what suburb something is in. Threads will get bumped with relevant new info. I'm less inclined to view other sub forums as often as I would like. Just because I'm not 100% invested in a project doesn't mean I'm not interested, and the new layout hinders accessibility, interaction and interests.

Looking at each forum, the activity doesn't really justify splitting into 4 subforums which worked comfortably in one. News fluctuates but I never had a problem even if I haven't been on the site for a bit on the old layout. In fact, a whole lot of unread threads made it more exciting.

Does clicking 4 separate subforums beat an off chance of clicking page 2?

shiggyshiggy, Brizer liked this post
Beep1Beep2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2016, 08:01 AM   #137
mandonov
Sure, Jan...

Likes (Received): 1913

I think the contents of the Regional and Metro forums could just be housed in the general NSW forum. Those three forums only get about 3 threads bumped a day, so there doesn't seem to be a need to have them all seperate.

Only the two CBD's should be in seperate sub-forums, that way instead of 5 seperate pages of content, there's just 3 (NSW, Parra CBD, Syd CBD)

Beep1Beep2, RoarRa liked this post
mandonov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2016, 08:18 AM   #138
Beep1Beep2

Likes (Received): 1472

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandonov View Post
I think the contents of the Regional and Metro forums could just be housed in the general NSW forum. Those three forums only get about 3 threads bumped a day, so there doesn't seem to be a need to have them all seperate.

Only the two CBD's should be in seperate sub-forums, that way instead of 5 seperate pages of content, there's just 3 (NSW, Parra CBD, Syd CBD)
Honestly, this sounds like the best solution. Best of both worlds (in fact, only 17% of people said they wanted regional/metro sections).
Beep1Beep2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2016, 09:15 AM   #139
Parravillian
Grumpy blockhead

Likes (Received): 1061

Are you guys still going on about this?

I've been too busy enjoying the new format to complain.

To me it sounds like a few NIMBYs are butthurt that metro Sydney has 2 CBDs...

Parravillian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2016, 09:24 AM   #140
RoarRa
RAWR ROAR RAWR

Likes (Received): 786

RoarRa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement