Projects & Discussion | NSW | Public Spaces & Parks - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > New South Wales

New South Wales » Sydney CBD | Parramatta CBD | Sydney Metro Area | Regional NSW

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 12th, 2004, 01:40 AM   #1
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 20591

Projects & Discussion | NSW | Public Spaces & Parks

Its been years in planning and eventually will be located opposite town hall. still a couple of properties to acquire.
I reckon its a good move. woolies not a great loss.
nice open area in front. aka- trafalgar square in London, times sq NY ect
heres some clips

i reckon citigroup will cast a massive shadow most of year.lol
Church Hill tower- 1797, Macquarie Tower-1818, St James Church -1822, Garden Palace- 1879, Sydney Harbour Bridge -1932, Sydney Opera House- 1973, Sydney Tower- 1981, Crown Sydney- 2021, twin towers- 2024, supertall 2025 https://www.buildsydney.com/forum
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2004, 03:09 AM   #2
Mephisto

Likes (Received): 60

Mephisto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 03:26 AM   #3
Aussie Steve

Likes (Received): 139

This is a very expensive park that is realy not needed. What the City of Sydney needs to do is greenscape Town Hall Square.
Aussie Steve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2004, 03:31 AM   #4
Randwicked
Яandwicked

Likes (Received): 6

Yay, Bumtown CBD!
Old November 12th, 2004, 04:32 AM   #5
MILIUX
skyscraper connoisseur

Likes (Received): 380

MILIUX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 04:40 AM   #6
zulu69
selling my body since 88'

Likes (Received): 65

I really hope that isnt the final design or the idea of the design. It looks rubbish. If they really wanted this (really dont know why tho) at least build something grand like a classical fountain (that is with classical sculpture- European sytle or even a glass pyramid a la lourve just something). It really looks like a front yard and not much of a square.

I just dont get what SCC thinks Sydney really is, someone should tell them its a CITY. I mean Hyde park is only a fews minutes away. They are on drugs for sure, apparently HARD drugs too
zulu69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 04:44 AM   #7
finn

Likes (Received): 2863

IMHO it should be a cool urban civic square, not a "park" per se.
finn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 06:32 AM   #8
Maxtor

Likes (Received):

Good riddance to Woolies!

What I would like to see is Town Hall station shifted. It now provides for room underground to finally provide for a larger underground station that would better meet commuter needs.
Old November 12th, 2004, 06:33 AM   #9
below-0

Likes (Received): 0

i don't like the space before townhall, I agree as hyde park is only a minute away the scheme is to make townhall look better. The trees aren't the best either. Fig & Wollemi pine would be pleasant.

The colour render makes it look like a rural district centre not that of a large urban historic cbd. The other problem I have is that the park isn't exactly cheap.. they could build a big indoor sports facility and extend the underground shopping links from townhall station.
below-0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 06:42 AM   #10
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 20591

i dont thiok any green areas should be there, just stone pavers. we have enough green areas or ready.
OR how about a 200m+ skyscraper to compliment Citigroup!!!
Church Hill tower- 1797, Macquarie Tower-1818, St James Church -1822, Garden Palace- 1879, Sydney Harbour Bridge -1932, Sydney Opera House- 1973, Sydney Tower- 1981, Crown Sydney- 2021, twin towers- 2024, supertall 2025 https://www.buildsydney.com/forum
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 07:43 AM   #11
below-0

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA
i dont thiok any green areas should be there, just stone pavers. we have enough green areas or ready.
OR how about a 200m+ skyscraper to compliment Citigroup!!!
yeah that's a good point it'll also look out of sync with citygroup, even energy australia.
below-0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 07:46 AM   #12
Aussie Steve

Likes (Received): 139

We (Australia) does not need to refelect on its past or Europe. It needs to look forward and build a square that is modern yet respects the civic precinct of the Town Hall, the Cathedral and the QVB, but they must remember Citigroup tower too, so no old-fart-style fountains, but something modern with trees and paved areas.
Aussie Steve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 08:51 AM   #13
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 617

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu69
I really hope that isnt the final design or the idea of the design. It looks rubbish. If they really wanted this (really dont know why tho) at least build something grand like a classical fountain (that is with classical sculpture- European sytle or even a glass pyramid a la lourve just something). It really looks like a front yard and not much of a square.

I just dont get what SCC thinks Sydney really is, someone should tell them its a CITY. I mean Hyde park is only a fews minutes away. They are on drugs for sure, apparently HARD drugs too
I agree can we please be a little creative... and no gum trees, they are ugly and don't work well with architecture. Palms and a tropical feel with some artistic elements would look spectacular. I love the idea of a glass pyramid. This design has no thought, no interest and no liveliness about it... it looks like some bush paddock with a few trees. Why do they need to soften the electricty building... I would have thought in cities you expect tall buildings?

I think a massive tall, cutting-edge styled fountain with lasers and some high tech bullshit would suit the place better than some crap landscaping and a few stupid trees anyone can see anywhere in this country. It actually makes the city look like a regional city with no idea, not a metropolis home to some 4-5 million. When will they realise Sydney needs to be pushed forward and not back... more grass is the last thing we need to see in the city centre. sometimes I wonder if SSC actually even wants there to be a CBD at all.

If they were on hard drugs we would end up with a better city let me tell you. They should all have a few rounds of meth and 2CB and we might end up with a half decent proposal.
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 11:04 AM   #14
AG

Likes (Received): 576

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar
If they were on hard drugs we would end up with a better city let me tell you. They should all have a few rounds of meth and 2CB and we might end up with a half decent proposal.
You want everything to come high tech and modern Av. Should there be some gold glass statue on the site too?

If any area around Town Hall should be bulldozed for a park, it should be at the western side, not at the eastern side where Hyde Park is within pissing distance.
AG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 11:21 AM   #15
Galactic Ruler

Yeah why not AG... maybe they can build my krystal fountain which is something i proposed for Kings Square a while back. I actually entered it into the competition, if only I was more mature and could have prepared a proper submission at that time.
Old November 12th, 2004, 11:37 AM   #16
AltiusAltiusAltius

Likes (Received): 58

This is not a good idea I'm afraid. It will never look like a real square (good squares are surrounded by the buildings of consistent architectural style and preferably similar height). It will look more like an empty city site landscaped after major bombing or earthquake! Who on earth needs a square flanked by the Energy Australia building? (a square needs to be surrounded by beautiful structures!) Therefore EA must be demolished if this really gets built. But how can you demolish Rialto - another eyesore towering above future square? (it's top never fails to make me sick lol) What kind of square is that which has only one decent historic building around it (Town Hall) and it is actually across the road! I think the best option is to keep the Woolies Building and never build this caricature of a square (we have been fighting for 20 years to get rid of black holes ruining the visual character of George Street and now the Council plans to create a brand new one!) For God's sake, we already have the square between Town Hall and St Andrews - just give it a little facelift and everything will be cool!

City Square Melb is a joke too. King George Square in Brissie is okay if you look at the City Hall (if you turn around there is another world lol). The only really great looking square in Oz is Martin Place (esp Between George and Pitt) and was never meant to be one - rather it is a pedestrianised street... But it has some glorious architecture around it especially wonderful GPO (can never get enough of it)...Times Square NYC is not a square either - it's a bloody interchange lol

We don't need that thing in Sydney CBD but if it gets built I want Energy Aus to dissapear and I wanna see a landmark scraper in its spot with a magnificent sandstone or marble podium featuring the best colonnade in this town and finally I don't wanna have a bloody park like that (looks incredibly cheap in that render), rather I wanna see something like a brand new Union Square in San Francisco (phenomenal stuff) i.e. nice paving, some stairs, a little landscaping and a major landmark statue or illuminated fountain in the middle!

Old November 12th, 2004, 11:38 AM   #17
Trances
, , and , Fade to Black.

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Steve
This is a very expensive park that is realy not needed. What the City of Sydney needs to do is greenscape Town Hall Square.
i gotta agree and also if this was the plan then there should use of the land facing the open space.
Whats the point of open space is its not used as an out look ?
There must be better things to invest in
Old November 12th, 2004, 11:43 AM   #18
Galactic Ruler

I like energy australia!

I agree with you though, paving, nice steps and some major illuminated something.

I guess if they flatten the area there is always the future and it makes it easier to wack a thin 300m building on the site :P
Old November 12th, 2004, 12:57 PM   #19
MrTall

Likes (Received): 1

This is bullshit. Council shouldn't be spending money buying up expensive land better suited to commercial development. Totally ludicrous. F****d-up idealogy.
MrTall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 01:54 PM   #20
zulu69
selling my body since 88'

Likes (Received): 65

I honestly envision somethign grand and (as i am a huge history buff) soemthing in the lines of Fontana De trevi in Rome. Actually now that i think of it it could look odd given teh surroundings but i always thought a Classical style fountain should be at martin palce, or something great like the atlas or the other statue (above the ice rink) at Rockefellar centre in NYC. Just something worthy. I fear that a 'modern' feature wont be so modern after a decade (i mean i really dont think the SCC building Cul works in looks great and im sure it was once modern). The beauty of classical Architecture is that its timeless (and also my fav style ever surpassing art deco even). If it is modern i would prefer it as i said something like the glass pyramid which would be very cool, esp if it opened the underground and provided light. It would have to be at least 200ft tall though so maybe that would be too 'scary' for the poor old council!! Anyways im sure Calatavra or equivalent could make something, but i really think 'el cheapo' is the word here.

Look as most people have stated it isnt a square at all, and quite frankly its location is garbage for the location. I already see World square as being the future square in Syd anyways so the council was too little too late. It remains to be seen if they actually consider it though.. who knows if we send them HARD drugs and maybe then they could use the land they acquired to build a 400m+ monster that permanently blocks out the sun in the entire CBD!!! that would be something and it would be all thanks to HARD drugs™....

Last edited by zulu69; November 12th, 2004 at 02:01 PM.
zulu69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mandurahboyz