PROJECT: $250m Port Wakefield Housing & Marina Development - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > South Australia

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 21st, 2006, 01:04 AM   #21
Howie
we love cranage :)

Likes (Received): 0

Nice find crawfie
Howie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2006, 03:00 AM   #22
Mants
transatlanticism

Likes (Received): 5

haha yea...nice job
Old April 21st, 2006, 11:01 AM   #23
AG

Likes (Received): 576

Great find. Chapman has obviously done some research and put quite a lot of thought into this project. It doesn't look like it will encrouch very much into where the mangroves are. I'm in support of it.
AG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 30th, 2006, 09:39 PM   #24
crawf

Likes (Received): 597

Wakefield Council Is All Up For The Huge Development

found this from the great Yorke Peninsula Newspaper

Port Wakefield plan supported
Journalist: Kathryn Crisell

Port Wakefield's massive waterway plan may have its detractors but Wakefield Regional Council is firmly behind it and has been gearing up to the changes for some time.

Phil Barry, Council CEO, says the Chapmans' draft plan for marina and residential living (page 5 last week's YPCT) links to Council's Strategic Plan and the more specific Port Wakefield Strategic Plan (drafted by the community and sponsored by Council).

"Council's plan is about more housing and ongoing, sound industry development while, in Port Wakefield's plan, a canal estate is mentioned", he says. "This is also supported by a tourism accommodation study that identified a canal estate as desirable."

Mr Barry says this is what attracted developers to the region "because they can be confident of a level of interest".

While Council's Plan Amendment Report, out for consultation late last year, does not include any reference to marina development, the creation of a designated town centre does support the establishment of Gulf Harbour's planned supermarket, on its own land.

"As part of the PAR process, it was put out for public consultation and we had no negative comments at all", says Mr Barry.

As for infrastructure to support this scale of development, he concedes it is a big issue but adds it is a problem throughout regional South Australia.

"Governments and utilities look to maximise benefits from investment -- this sort of development can provide justification for the outlay", he said. "Likewise with a bypass -- Patrick Conlon quite rightly stated holiday traffic was not an appropriate reason to justify the investment.

"I believe this development will be very complementary to the growth of the area and will give the region a chance for greater advocacy on infrastructure", he said.

Mr Barry also says it is "well understood by Council" the plan should be given Major Project status.

"This should be dealt with at State Government level, given the high level and complexities of the project."

However, consultation will also be needed with the Commonwealth Government in regard to the nearby weapons research facility.

Mr Barry assures conservation will not be ignored.

"Port Wakefield has historically been a marine and heritage town - not many people know that because they don't get off the highway. However, up until now it has not been managed at all. Conservation can be managed well, and the Chapmans' experience at Hindmarsh Island and their environmental awards mean they will look to be working with the environment", he said.

Member for Goyder, Steven Griffiths, believes the principle of marina and waterway living at Port Wakefield is "fantastic for the town".

"However, I somewhat naively had thought that any water development around there would be west of the highway, so I was quite surprised to see the plan in the Country Times this morning", he said.

"The region's industry is going through a lot of growth and we need housing to support that", he said.

"It's a matter now of matching community expectation with long term needs of the region. Certainly infrastructure is needed to support that scale of construction and I know Warwick Welsh (Yorke Regional Development Board) has been briefing services such as police, education departments and health services, so they have been forewarned about additional needs.

"Additional regional infrastructure is something I have been pushing for years and one of the reasons I wanted to be in Parliament - to be a strong voice for the region.

"It's a hard decision to make for developers - do you sit and wait for infrastructure that may never come, or do you push on?"
crawf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2006, 07:01 PM   #25
crawf

News From The Yorke Pen Newspaper

Chapman to speak at YRBD dinner
Andrew Chapman, developer behind the proposal to build a marina at Port Wakefield, will be guest speaker at this month's Yorke Regional Development Board Commerce Dinner.

"This is a very exciting development, which will benefit the continual growth of the Port Wakefield area and surrounding communities", Warwick Welsh (Yorke Peninsula Regional Development Board CEO), comments.

"This dinner is sure to be topical and interesting, with Andrew Chapman, Managing Director of the Marina at Hindmarsh Island, highlighting his company's marina investment proposal", he said.

The "Wakefield Waters" proposal comprises more than 2,500 waterfront homes, all with saltwater boat access to Gulf St Vincent, plus new town centre development including the possible provision of supermarket, discount department store, food hall, banking facilities, medical centre, childcare facility, cafes and specialty stores, waterfront tavern and restaurants, waterfront fuel facilities, highway and bypass service station, conference centre, hotel accommodation, fishing retail centre, sailing school and maritime academy, boatyard and service centre, boat ramps, slipway and ship lift facilities, heliport, retirement village, internal swimming beach, plus an environment/samphire/heritage interpretive centre.

Mr Chapman says Wakefield Waters will deliver rejuvenation of the old Port Wakefield - and reasons to stop in the town beyond fuel and an icecream, reclaiming the town's status as the State's second busiest port behind Port Adelaide.

It is estimated more than 1,000 jobs will be created during the construction phase, hundreds of permanent sustainable jobs after completion, with more than 3,000 residents who will have easy access to all facilities in Adelaide and be within commuting distance to expanding industries in the north, whilst providing a focus to the Yorke region.

"Andrew will be an insightful speaker, and topical given the investment his company is proposing to make in our region, as well as his strongly held views about developing regional communities", Mr Welsh said.

The dinner, to be held at Port Vincent on Wednesday, May 31, will focus not only on this development, but other recent YRDB developments and activities. Anyone interested in attending should contact David Cowell on 8832 2600.
Old January 30th, 2007, 03:52 PM   #26
crawf

This project just keeps on getting bigger and bigger

snip from the tiser

Quote:
Housing boom follows farm growth
AN INCREASE in poultry and pork farming has helped contribute to a housing boom on Yorke Peninsula and in the Mid North.

Among projects at a planning stage is a $1.5 billion, 3000-home development at Port Wakefield.
The brainchild of the Chapman family, Wakefield Waters is to include waterfront homes, medium-density housing, a marina and shopping centre.

Developer Andrew Chapman said the response to the project had been overwhelming and construction was expected to begin next year.

"Our major focus is sustainability and we will be building a waste-water treatment plant for use in the area," he said.

"At the moment, Port Wakefield does not have that sort of facility."

He said Yorke Peninsula residents were happy about the development and many had said they were likely do their shopping there.

"One of the major drivers for us to be attracted to Port Wakefield is the explosion in the local industry," he said.

"The abattoirs, the pork and poultry industries . . . it is a great opportunity for people to live in a regional centre that will have all the facilities."

With the project still in the planning stage, Mr Chapman said it would take a decade to complete.
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...003680,00.html

That would mean Port Wakefield's population will jump to around 7,000. With potential for futher growth... good times for the yorke peninsula

Plus thats great news the locals are happy about this brilliant project, cant wait. Though $1.5b sounds too much, im pretty sure i heard $500m somewhere...
Old March 13th, 2007, 07:00 AM   #27
safari

I just bought a 3000m2 block as an investment.... then the abbotoirs burnt down!

Do you think there's a chance it won't be a killer for the area and this development? Here I was thinking I'd just bought into a boom area!
safari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 08:35 PM   #28
crawf

$1.5bn reason to stop, stay, play
TORY SHEPHERD

April 07, 2007 12:15am
Article from: The Advertiser

A PORT Wakefield marina complex that will house thousands of people has been granted major development status.

The $1.5 billion Wakefield Waters project will include:

UP TO 3000 homes for up to 7000 people.

A SALTWATER, 200-berth marina filled with water channelled from Gulf St Vincent, with a sailing school, a yacht and rowing club, and a fishing retail centre.

A CHILDCARE centre, cafe, conference centre, waterfront tavern and restaurants.

SHOPPING, banking and medical facilities.

AN INTERNAL swimming beach.

Urban Development and Planning Minister Paul Holloway will announce today that, due to Wakefield Waters' environmental, economic and social significance, it will be subject to a state-run assessment.

"(The assessment) will include production of a detailed environmental assessment document – likely to be an environmental impact study in common with recent marina proposals – and public consultation," he said.

"Granting a project major development status does not mean the Government is backing the proposal, it simply kickstarts a stringent assessment process.

"The onus is now firmly on the developer to provide the necessary information to satisfy both the local community and the Government."

Adelaide-based company Gulf Harbour hopes to complete the project by early 2008, and yesterday said it would provide hundreds of employment opportunities.

Developer Andrew Chapman said the project would rejuvenate the area.

"In the 1800s this was a very busy port," he said.

"This is a great opportunity to put the focus on Port Wakefield, which was up until now a town that many drove through or drove past.

"We'll give them a reason to call Port Wakefield their base."

Mr Chapman said prices for homes had not been set, but absolute waterfront property could sell for more than $500,000, and that there would be more affordable options.

"I think it's going to cater for all walks of life," he said.
Old April 6th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #29
crawf

More great news for the Yorke Peninsula and Mid North . Time to update thread AtD

This is such a massive project, wonder if it would be one of the biggest housing and marina projects in Regional Australia?
Old April 10th, 2007, 03:35 AM   #30
safari

Well, now I'm very happy about my recent purchase... I'm not very experienced in land values (I'm 21 and studying marketing) but I guess with this development, the value of land surrounding the development will also increase significantly?
safari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2019, 04:21 AM   #31
TheResearcher

Likes (Received): 20

Would someone know what is currently happening with this one, last time i heard about this, it was refused
TheResearcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement