CANBERRA: Light Rail Discussion - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Australian Capital Territory

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 19th, 2008, 01:17 AM   #61
droolz

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2 View Post
How surprising - the "people" who live in Canbra are so dumb that they vote for the ******* Greens+Labor combo. Doesn't stack up well for the intelligence of ACT residents. Not that I care about what happens in that territory

No LR study coming in as no Libs for you!
If you'd paid a little more attention to the various campaigns, you'd find that the lib's plan to spend on transport involved more money for roads to and from gungahlin, money for an extra lane on parkes way - the trunk route linking the city with major roads to western belconnen, tuggeranong, woden, weston creek and the soon-to-be-developed molonglo, and more money for buses. Not a lot in there about LR though.

On the flipside, and completely retaining political impartiality, Labor already has a company working on a proposal. How about engaging your brain before opening your mouth.
droolz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 19th, 2008, 02:51 AM   #62
L2
In the ****

Likes (Received): 1759

As I said, I don't care about the ACT so I don't look at specific policies.

You should know that I'm a Liberal supporter by now
Old October 19th, 2008, 08:06 AM   #63
BenMac

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
As I said, I don't care about the ACT so I don't look at specific policies.

You should know that I'm a Liberal supporter by now
So why even comment here. Push off.

A Liberal supporter? It shows.
BenMac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 19th, 2008, 12:10 PM   #64
droolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMac View Post
So why even comment here. Push off.

A Liberal supporter? It shows.
Totally agreed. Only a mother could love that child.
Old October 19th, 2008, 02:18 PM   #65
L2
In the ****

Quote:
Push off
Haven't heard that one before.

Quote:
A Liberal supporter?
Let me guess - you're one of the Canbra idiots who voted for The Greens, as your token "Im good for the environment move", seeing as everybody in Canbra drives fuel guzzelling cars everywhere, smokes Winny Blues at Woden Int and lives in sprawl. Guess what? A vote for the Greens is a vote for Labor (Stanhope in your case)

At least you'll have more Greens than Deb Foskey now!

Pity that the only good Liberal rep in Canbra (Bill Stefaniak) has left - having said that, there are no good Labor ones.
Old October 19th, 2008, 02:30 PM   #66
ross_the_man

Likes (Received): 89

I don't understand why people vote for greens. They are extremists and it was already hard building developments in Canberra, now its going to be harder. Are they going to allow back burning? Or can we expect another major bush fire due to their retardation. I'm pretty pissed off that those non qualified politicians/ dousche bags have even more power than they already did. But lets hope the labor government continues its development plans and green policies dont come into play
ross_the_man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 05:57 PM   #67
Brudl

i came in at ten to six and donkey voted. hee haw.
Brudl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 04:13 PM   #68
Brudl

back on topic! Griffin's original rail network plan including a heavy rail line and light rail (tram) network:

Old October 24th, 2008, 04:20 AM   #69
L2
In the ****

Wow, Canbra was so tiny then.

Now you have yucky sprawl all the way to Banks, all the way to some North-West suburbzorz (Charnie?) and most of the way to the NSW border on both the Federal and Barton Hwys
Old October 24th, 2008, 01:52 PM   #70
Brudl

I know, so much wasted space and pointless sprawl
Old October 24th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #71
Scrawny

Likes (Received): 594

Interesting graphic Brudl. I don't think theres any way that plan would be feasible right now though given the population density in these areas. Also the actual layout now is different from the original plan - eg the big roundabout in yarralumla.
Scrawny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #72
droolz

Quote:
Wow, Canbra was so tiny then.

Now you have yucky sprawl all the way to Banks, all the way to some North-West suburbzorz (Charnie?) and most of the way to the NSW border on both the Federal and Barton Hwys
well... to be accurate... griffin's plan for the unbuilt city was relatively small. he did expect it to grow beyond the original plan for about 50,000ish.

I wouldn't say the sprawl is so yucky necessarily, I quite like the fact that I have a backyard. There are other cities in australia which have much more sprawl than we do. Our population density (ie, people per square kilometre of city land) is actually higher than brisbane or perth, and is on track to increase to the level of that of adelaide in coming years since the re-prioritisation of planning to allow higher density development in the inner (ie, already developed) areas of the city.

I'm thinking, the best method of alternative transport really is to introduce some sort of network of busways in the interim, to ease the current situation of cramped and low frequency intertown bus services, to greatly increase the frequency of single-suburb bus service (to make people want to rely on buses) and really focus development of job opportunities in the town centres.

High frequency bus services (like, every 5-10 minutes), running in a loop through each suburb (each having its own dedicated bus route) to the nearest interchange, and then high speed LR or busway would mean easy link up between the suburbs and the centres.
Old October 24th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #73
crazyknightsfan
derp

Location: A pretty place where the flowers grow, I'll be back in an hour or so
Likes (Received): 2181

Quote:
Originally Posted by droolz View Post
... ease the current situation of cramped and low frequency intertown bus services
They have a 5-minute frequency all day now on the Intertown routes!

Agree with the remainder of your post though - hopefully the ACT Government continues to invest in bus priority along the intertown and Civic-Gungahlin corridors.
crazyknightsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 04:36 PM   #74
Brudl

I'm not exactly sure what was supposed to happen at some of those node points, where the heavy rail line (green) apparently has a stop, with the LR making a circle around it? I haven't been able to find any detailed information into that part of griffin's plan I'm afraid.

not the whole day, after 7 i believe it drops to only 15 minutes on the intertown, even on friday night.
Old October 24th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #75
crazyknightsfan
derp

Location: A pretty place where the flowers grow, I'll be back in an hour or so
Likes (Received): 2181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brudl View Post
I'm not exactly sure what was supposed to happen at some of those node points, where the heavy rail line (green) apparently has a stop, with the LR making a circle around it? I haven't been able to find any detailed information into that part of griffin's plan I'm afraid.
Griffin was an architect, not a transport planner. Frankly it shows in his proposed PT network - it might have been acceptable in a time before widespread ownership of motor vehicles (and thus high amounts of captive pax) but it would not offer much today. He was also turfed out before he could prepare detailed plans for that sort of thing, so I doubt they exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brudl View Post
not the whole day, after 7 i believe it drops to only 15 minutes on the intertown, even on friday night.
7pm is not in the daytime
crazyknightsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 04:58 PM   #76
Scrawny

Likes (Received): 594

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyknightsfan View Post
Griffin was an architect, not a transport planner. Frankly it shows in his proposed PT network - it might have been acceptable in a time before widespread ownership of motor vehicles (and thus high amounts of captive pax) but it would not offer much today. He was also turfed out before he could prepare detailed plans for that sort of thing, so I doubt they exist.
Yeah I agree with that. I think he was probably more a visionary than a details man. Everyone loves the concept of public transport, but to make it work, there are certain practicalities that have to be taken into account. IT takes more than just drawing neat looking lines on a map. Having said that, I don't believe Canberra looks much like his vision. Sure the roads and suburbs have the same layout in general, but if you look at some of his sketches, he envisioned grand parisian style boulevards that certainly aren't reflected in what you see in reality. My guess is that is was death by committee, where many of his grand ideas got watered down over time.
Scrawny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 11:21 PM   #77
droolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyknightsfan View Post
They have a 5-minute frequency all day now on the Intertown routes!

Agree with the remainder of your post though - hopefully the ACT Government continues to invest in bus priority along the intertown and Civic-Gungahlin corridors.
Except (like last night) when I had to wait 25 minutes for a bus home from Belconnen to Woden at 9:15, in the scary Belconnen Interchange. And that bus (at that hour) was packed!
Old April 18th, 2012, 05:10 AM   #78
MRS50

Likes (Received): 26

from CT
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-...417-1x5y9.html
MRS50 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2017, 09:28 AM   #79
Myrtonos

Likes (Received): 27

Is it true that Canberra would be suited to high platform light rail. I know that's not what's being built, but are high platforms possible in all locations?

Here is a location where high platforms will not work.

And showing what high platforms look like in the medians of wide streets.
Myrtonos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 12:50 PM   #80
RollerCity

Likes (Received): 53

Gungahliners warming to the idea of light rail?

https://the-riotact.com/hundreds-gat...kes-off/259937

Quote:
Hundreds gather at Light Rail Ready open day as ACT’s first ever Rail Safety Week takes off

Hundreds of Canberrans flocked to the Gungahlin town centre on Sunday morning (12 August) to catch a glimpse of Canberra’s red new form of transport at the Light Rail Ready open day.

The event, which marked the start of the ACT’s first Rail Safety Week, gave locals the opportunity to see a light rail vehicle up close and participate in fun rail safety activities.

ACT Transport Minister Meegan Fitzharris said the week dedicated to Canberra’s newest form of transport was a perfect opportunity to increase education and awareness around track safety.
RollerCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mandurahboyz