NZ | Population Statistics Thread - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > KiwiScrapers

KiwiScrapers Kia Kaha » Auckland | Wellington | Christchurch | Hamilton | Regional Cities

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 21st, 2008, 04:36 AM   #81
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 yrs), Auckland NZ (7 yrs), Stockholm, Sweden (8 yrs), NOW: Glasgow, UK
Likes (Received): 12045

Actually that's very true, Bluffmaster. We came here hoping for a bigger house, nicer car and more space for our money than we could get in England. It's only since living here that I, and my family, have come to realise that these wants are unsustainable and vapid when considering quality of life. Unfortunately, many migrants from Europe still cling to the "BIGGER IS BETTER" philosophy.

This will change eventually though, and it's starting to change now.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 21st, 2008, 08:23 AM   #82
DML2
Aucklander

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizz_pat View Post
We would actually be better off if the entire world population is reduced. We won't be facing huge spikes is food and petrol prices, as there will be less people to share our food and petrol with.

Definately, urban problems associated with large populations can be alleviated with decent planning and foresight. As some have pointed out, places like Germany, UK, Japan etc all have similar land areas to Auckland and are well off. However, assuming that the entire world can be well off with the same population densities as these countries is a mistake.

If you put 100 bacteria in a dish full of sugar, they will last longer that 10000 bacteria in the same dish. Similarly, in an Earth with finite resources, 6 billion people will be able to be sustained longer than 60 billion can be.

I sound too much like a greeny.
I don't want an increase in world population, I want an increase in NZ's population

:D
DML2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 08:25 AM   #83
spotila
SSC Mapper

Likes (Received): 288

I agree. Up not out.
spotila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 21st, 2008, 10:13 AM   #84
jarbury
Resident Planner

Likes (Received): 25

Interesting perspective svarty, I wonder if many others have the same sense of disappointment with the "spacious" New Zealand lifestyle. I think to truly enjoy what Auckland has to offer one should live somewhere in the inner-suburbs, preferably in the Western Bays. Nice houses but also a relatively high density of development and not the sense of isolation one must get way out on the edge of the city.

Whilst I'm still within a 2 stage bus ride of the city, I still feel further out than desirable. My next move will be to either the very inner-suburbs (if I can afford it) or not far over the harbour bridge so I can busway into town.
Old November 21st, 2008, 10:21 AM   #85
Nicco

Likes (Received): 3

If I could live anywhere in New Zealand, I would live in those central suburbs. Mt Eden, Epsom, Mission Bay, Kohimarama, Orakei, Meadowbank, Parnell etc. (thats if I will ever afford it) Also, Takapuna, Birkenhead, Devonport are really nice.

Nicco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 10:26 AM   #86
jarbury
Resident Planner

Parnell & Devonport are particularly nice suburbs, with some of Auckland's best late 19th and early 20th century housing stock. I wouldn't want to be too far into the eastern suburbs unless I was near a train station.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 12:59 AM   #87
Brisbaner21

Likes (Received): 6

Recent Update:

Brisbaner21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 05:13 AM   #88
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisbaner21 View Post
Recent Update:

Is it me - or does the national population seem to be climbing quickly? It only seemed like yesterday that the 4 million mark was reached.

"Fide Condita, Fructu Beata, Spe Fortis"
"Founded in Faith, Rich in the Fruits of the Earth and Her Industry, Bold is Her Claim on the Future"

The Garden City
Davee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 05:43 AM   #89
jarbury
Resident Planner

I think 4 million was passed in about 2002, so not that quick really. But yeah, considering it was three million and something forever it does seem like it's made its way towards 5 million fairly quickly.

I know that natural increase rates have been pretty high in the last few years.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 06:18 AM   #90
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Likes (Received): 57

Must be my age then

"Fide Condita, Fructu Beata, Spe Fortis"
"Founded in Faith, Rich in the Fruits of the Earth and Her Industry, Bold is Her Claim on the Future"

The Garden City
Davee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 11:46 PM   #91
nthbeach

Likes (Received): 49

I believe that NZs population is supposed to peak at about 5.5 million in about 2050. What are the projections for the major cities? If NZ were to have a major influx of immigrants then I would a more concerted effort in encouraging them not all to live in Auckland. I believe the cities of Chch, Palmy, Hamilton and Tauranga would be easier to develop infrastructure than trying to fix up auckland and accomadate 3 million people. I would like to see auckland popn at 2mill MAX with Chch somewhere between 600,000 - 1 mill. Hamilton 400,000, Tauranga 300,000 and Palmy with 200,000.
Again just dreaming, doubt there will ever be much foresight planning done in the capital. When a govt only has 3 years to do its thing, its always about the current day.
nthbeach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 12:06 AM   #92
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 yrs), Auckland NZ (7 yrs), Stockholm, Sweden (8 yrs), NOW: Glasgow, UK
Likes (Received): 12045

I'm not sure I'd like to see Chch with up to 1 million living there! Chch would require a huge amount of infrastructure investment to get it up to the level where it could support that kind of population, much the same as Auckland does now. ~600,000 would be more comfortable, though it'd still need a fair amount of investment.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 12:34 AM   #93
nthbeach

Yes 1 million in chch would would not be ideal in the forseeable future. I was just considering the fact that new zealand cities seem to be hell-bent on city sprawl and less higher-density, I think chch would be well-suited for a large city with its unlimited boundaries it would be a lot easier to build motorwasy and rail (how big? thats up to the imgination)
Old November 24th, 2008, 01:10 AM   #94
Brisbaner21

Likes (Received): 6

For New Zealand's population, percentage growth is pretty good, and the raw numbers are great. Remember, New Zealand has a small population, your not going to see some 200-300,000 people a month like the U.S. Small population = small growth, but percentage wise, New Zealand is doing great, and shouldn't expect anything more.
Brisbaner21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 02:01 AM   #95
Blah
Jafa

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisbaner21 View Post
For New Zealand's population, percentage growth is pretty good, and the raw numbers are great. Remember, New Zealand has a small population, your not going to see some 200-300,000 people a month like the U.S. Small population = small growth, but percentage wise, New Zealand is doing great, and shouldn't expect anything more.
Being from Queensland you may know this. What area has the larger population? NZ or Qld? And who is growing faster?
Blah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 03:25 AM   #96
nthbeach

checked it out. Who would of thought? Australian Bureau of Statistics have qld pop at 4,253,200 as at 31 march 2008. Quoting Brisbaner21 NZ has 4,287,714 therefore NZ has approx 34500 more residents. Not sure who is growing faster, im sure somwone does though.
Old November 24th, 2008, 03:33 AM   #97
nthbeach

So I had to check this out. If NZ were to be the 7th state of aust where would it rank?
NSW - 6,947,000
Vic - 5,247,000
NZ - 4,288,000
Qld - 4,253,000
WA - 2,150,000
SA - 1,598,000
Tas - 497,000
ACT - 343,000
NT - 218,000

Doing not too bad.
Old November 24th, 2008, 03:42 AM   #98
jarbury
Resident Planner

In terms of area, Queensland is masses bigger than New Zealand I would guess. Interesting their similar populations.

There must be hardly anything in South Australia outside Adelaide.
Old November 24th, 2008, 04:14 AM   #99
Blah
Jafa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthbeach View Post
checked it out. Who would of thought? Australian Bureau of Statistics have qld pop at 4,253,200 as at 31 march 2008. Quoting Brisbaner21 NZ has 4,287,714 therefore NZ has approx 34500 more residents. Not sure who is growing faster, im sure somwone does though.
Interesting. Had a look as well - seems Qld is growing really fast. They were only 4 million 3 years ago, so I suspect they will overtake us soon. I think we were 4 million about 5 years ago.
Old November 24th, 2008, 04:20 AM   #100
Blah
Jafa

Actually, I take that back We hit four million in 2005 as well. So growth must be pretty even. It's a race!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mandurahboyz