Projects & Discussion | NSW | Planning, Infrastructure & Urban Development - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > New South Wales

New South Wales » Sydney CBD | Parramatta CBD | Sydney Metro Area | Regional NSW

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Well?
Train line extension to south west and north west 57 60.00%
Metro system for inner city and western suburbs 58 61.05%
Extension of light rail in inner city and pedestrianisation of George Street 50 52.63%
Integrated public transport system (including light rail and monorail) 52 54.74%
Removal (or easing) of height restrictions 52 54.74%
More office space 29 30.53%
More international labels 33 34.74%
More cultural venues 34 35.79%
Continued development of satellite CBDs 38 40.00%
Other (please specify) 13 13.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 19th, 2003, 02:20 PM   #21
AltiusAltiusAltius

Likes (Received): 58

We desperately need this one and hopefully it is gonna happen in the next construction cycle!

The 'Citicorp' inspired design is ideal for this site - it's a shame this baby is not gonna be built to the originally proposed height but 235m 'skinnier' version is most welcome too!

There are no real issues here - the discussion about 'overshadowing' is just preposterous... (a few years back someone was arguing about Park Plaza tower overshadowing Town Hall as a reason to shelve it....and it still went ahead...)

Not to mention benefits of building a new Wynyard Station!

I hope we will see a new model soon! And approval process should go smoothly with a major design competition etc. I am not sure if construction will go ahead without pre-commited anchor tenant (John Boyd tower developers are still looking for one??)

This may take a very long time to eventuate but the good news is - this project is not dead!!

Go Thakral!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2003, 02:51 PM   #22
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 20907

yeah we DO need this one! Also THAKRAL are keen to build THIS construction cycle not 4-5 years time. Also its a mixed project , mostly hotel/apartment/retail! It involves the demolition and replacement of the 15storey menzies Holiday inn.
So the whole project will proably consist of only %25 office.
anyway things are going to heat up leading into xmas.
Imagine a bldg higher than WT ?
Church Hill tower- 1797, Macquarie Tower-1818, St James Church -1822, Garden Palace- 1879, Sydney Harbour Bridge -1932, Sydney Opera House- 1973, Sydney Tower- 1981, Crown Sydney- 2021, twin towers- 2024, supertall 2025 https://www.buildsydney.com/forum
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 03:34 PM   #23
SydneyDude
me!

Likes (Received): 2

This evening as I was closing up my shop, I slammed the door on my left rude finger, and the whole nail has gone a deep maroon colour and it hurt like hell....

but after reading this post i dont feel no pain no more!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Sounds promising!!

Btw that thin model looks very much like the 244m Angel Place that nearly got built.

I LOVE IT SO MUCH IT HURTS......
SydneyDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2003, 04:12 PM   #24
fro

Likes (Received): 159

Sydney Dude - Ouch!

Oh, here we go again. I'm not saying anything about this one. I'm sitting on the other side of the fence and not getting one bit excited about it until I walk into the Sydney Council Model room and see "CityOne" coloured Red.
fro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 04:30 PM   #25
hk-star

Likes (Received): 0

The thin one doesn't look anywhere near as good as the futuristic one with blade! I hope they don't go with such a boring needle design. Does firing the architects mean that they've junked their deisgn as well? Starting from scratch?

This almost makes up for Bligh St ... almost

hk
hk-star no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 04:35 PM   #26
hk-star

Likes (Received): 0

I actually would've thought it makes economic sense to wait a while before beginning a major project like this. The construction companies must be swimming in work right now, prices must be high. It seems like it might make sense to wait for a couple of the other biggies to finish and the kind of segue into this one .. or are they completely independent with their own gang? They're still gonna need local workers .. must be a shortage of them right now. And you know those builders. When there's a lot of work around they feel they can just name their own price.

I happen to like Wynyard station! Especially the awesome escalators with the wooden large-grain ribbing - looks like it's from WW1. But I agree the arcade through from George St is pretty bad. Gonna be a revamp of shops underneath? Maybe a larger arcade or other development?

hk
hk-star no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 04:42 PM   #27
CULWULLA

Quote:
Originally posted by hk-star
I actually would've thought it makes economic sense to wait a while before beginning a major project like this. The construction companies must be swimming in work right now, prices must be high. It seems like it might make sense to wait for a couple of the other biggies to finish and the kind of segue into this one .. or are they completely independent with their own gang? They're still gonna need local workers .. must be a shortage of them right now. And you know those builders. When there's a lot of work around they feel they can just name their own price.

I happen to like Wynyard station! Especially the awesome escalators with the wooden large-grain ribbing - looks like it's from WW1. But I agree the arcade through from George St is pretty bad. Gonna be a revamp of shops underneath? Maybe a larger arcade or other development?

hk
revamp? you better believe it! the station/shops everything will be brand spanking new!
Thakral are a BIG company. i dont think theyw ill have any problems recruiting workers.
Church Hill tower- 1797, Macquarie Tower-1818, St James Church -1822, Garden Palace- 1879, Sydney Harbour Bridge -1932, Sydney Opera House- 1973, Sydney Tower- 1981, Crown Sydney- 2021, twin towers- 2024, supertall 2025 https://www.buildsydney.com/forum
Old September 19th, 2003, 04:45 PM   #28
SydneyDude
me!

from one of lucy turnbulls speaches:

"We are all acutely aware that the major city rail stations are congested and need upgrading. Capacity at heavy rail stations in particular Town Hall, Wynyard and Central is approaching 100%."

Old September 20th, 2003, 12:09 AM   #29
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

Quote:
The thin one doesn't look anywhere near as good as the futuristic one with blade! I hope they don't go with such a boring needle design. Does firing the architects mean that they've junked their deisgn as well? Starting from scratch?

hk
It completely makes up for Bligh Apartments and this one will be even better.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2003, 03:53 AM   #30
fox1
original

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally posted by spazpecker
I have absolutely NO idea what you're on about fox- is it the location of the tower or the design that you have a problem with? If it's the design don't worry because Cul's pic is the original model only- it won't turn out anything like this.
well it's the design basically OF THE ORIGINAL PROPOSAL i'm referring to for the moment. like i said i have no problem with height towers but not just height for the sake of it, and especially with what i see as a 1/10 tower for attractiveness. sydney deserves world-best-towers, 10 or 11/10, not just shit that is just seen as good just because it's tall..... 'world tower' ring a bell here??

THEIR own original model looks like a shockingly cheap see-thru concrete box that a work experience kid has designed in ten seconds, with the supposed-to-be-impressive slanted roof echoing the grandure of New York's Citicorp Tower. well it doesn't come anything close to that, and they have to try much harder to deserve a spot on the Sydney skyline.

Last edited by fox1; September 20th, 2003 at 04:08 AM.
fox1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2003, 03:58 AM   #31
fox1
original

Quote:
Fox1 are you nuts? At what point is a city's skyline "finished" and shouldn't be "messed up"??? I don't see WT in those photos you posted either .. maybe we should tear it down while there's still time, that has the potential to "mess up" the skyline too! God! More buildings = good!

And that design is fine! What's wrong with you!? I think it's great! It looks "future" !

hk
the photos are a little old. world tower is there but not whereit's at now. while on the subject of world tower, i am not impressed or should i say bowled over by that tower either. now if u were smart and read my post properly instead of just making personal attacks such as 'are you nuts' and 'what's wrong with you!?' when i was just simply expressing my opinions and attacking nobody, you may have noticed that i said i have no problem at all with height limit towers. you seem to have missed that point of mine when you launched into this post. what i did say was that i want towers that blow us away, that DESERVE to be in the world-class skyline of sydney, not just tall shit that is only considered 'great...let's build it' just because it's tall. all i'm saying is 'TAKE A DEEP BREATH', hold it for a second, and consider stuff rationally.. not just 'right, let's build this right now' before we consider the believe me many many better options and more inspiring towers could be built in that location.
Old September 20th, 2003, 04:01 AM   #32
fox1
original

Quote:
Fox1 are you nuts? At what point is a city's skyline "finished" and shouldn't be "messed up"??? I don't see WT in those photos you posted either .. maybe we should tear it down while there's still time, that has the potential to "mess up" the skyline too! God! More buildings = good!

And that design is fine! What's wrong with you!? I think it's great! It looks "future" !

hk
of course i'm far from wrong in saying that skylines can get messed up. your post is of the variety that all buildings are great and skylines can't get messed up. generally speaking of course sydney's world top 5 skyline would get totally messed up forever if a massive ugly-ass tower was plonked, no matter where it was put.
Old September 20th, 2003, 04:04 AM   #33
fox1
original

Quote:
Originally posted by CULWULLA
The point Thakral have made is that want to build SOMETHING BIG! They want to start next year, they want a major landmark with a railway station on par with Grand cental with NYC! (but smaller scale of course).
I think this a terrific spot for a 235m scraper! Its on george street which is the 'spine" of the CBD which is where the council planners want tall bldgs put!

heres the 'thin" version which i favour. Its set on george st and rises above street perfectly placed in the tall bldg precinct!

I just hope everything turns to a height limit scraper because the CBD is lacking actual sites for these babys and to end up with a shorter structure would be a real disapointment indeed!

Also the devloper has "dumped" original architects-Rice & Daubney and have now engaged an other high profile firm which i dont actual know name ! but will eventually find out.
cheers
this is more like it! ok so now you can see i just want excellence and won't accept shit like the first proposal. this i pretty much like a real lot. i think it would be an almost perfect sydney tower, but i'm still reserving my judgement on it until i see some more details!
Old September 20th, 2003, 04:12 AM   #34
finn

Likes (Received): 2873

Quote:

hk
Remember that this model is simply an envelope for the building mass within which the architects can work - it is in no way a finished and finalised design, and as such, the addition of things like rooftop blades (and hence further increases in structure height) are definitely possible and even likely!

finn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2003, 04:24 AM   #35
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

I'm sure the council will draw up several building envelopes which will be looked at and assessed.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2003, 05:36 AM   #36
CULWULLA

1. as finn said, the model is JUST a concept by Thakral to give SCC the IDEA of there proposal! So lets hope it ends up something similar!
2. fox1.- World Tower has to be one of the great highrise residential bldgs of the world let only Sydney!!!!
Its a brilliant design! Its currently no 11 in the world and most of the ones taller are "same floor plate" box estrusions" in HK or Seoul! not architectural merrit what so ever!
I dont like WT just because its 230m high! i love its intricate structure and its fine location!
Old September 20th, 2003, 06:06 AM   #37
Noonos

Likes (Received):

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

wheres THAKRAL located? I gotta go in and shake their hand! KICKASS! If you look at culs, first pic take a look at the way it dwarfs the already big AAPT Tower!
Old September 20th, 2003, 06:06 AM   #38
fox1
original

i have absolutely no problem whatsoever with your opinion. i am not blown away pretty much whatsoever by world tower, whether it's a sydney building, or not a sydney building.

this is a residential tower

Old September 20th, 2003, 06:14 AM   #39
routemarker
Looking for the Way out?

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally posted by fox1
i have absolutely no problem whatsoever with your opinion. i am not blown away pretty much whatsoever by world tower, whether it's a sydney building, or not a sydney building.

this is a residential tower

its just a box with glass...
Old September 20th, 2003, 06:16 AM   #40
SydneyDude
me!

Isnt that the AOL Time Warner Centre in NY? I thought it was office? Brilliant none the less

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
sydney