Projects & Discussion | NSW | Planning, Infrastructure & Urban Development - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > New South Wales

New South Wales » Sydney CBD | Parramatta CBD | Sydney Metro Area | Regional NSW

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Well?
Train line extension to south west and north west 57 60.00%
Metro system for inner city and western suburbs 58 61.05%
Extension of light rail in inner city and pedestrianisation of George Street 50 52.63%
Integrated public transport system (including light rail and monorail) 52 54.74%
Removal (or easing) of height restrictions 52 54.74%
More office space 29 30.53%
More international labels 33 34.74%
More cultural venues 34 35.79%
Continued development of satellite CBDs 38 40.00%
Other (please specify) 13 13.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 21st, 2003, 12:51 PM   #61
SydneyDude
me!

Likes (Received): 2

yeh build avatars cityone, i prefer it to my version

lol i was way off with my rendering, but it does give an idea of the sort of impact it will have- just shift the building from where it is to infront of angel place using your imagination

Avatar- send the developers that picture- seriously

I LOVE IT SO MUCH IT HURTS......
SydneyDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2003, 01:37 PM   #62
routemarker
Looking for the Way out?

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally posted by Avatar
Here, tell them to build my version of it...

brilliant! the blue, purple and silver combination make for an excellent contrast.
Old September 21st, 2003, 01:46 PM   #63
zulu69
selling my body since 88'

Likes (Received): 65

man i think i am getting a bit ahead of myself... lets say i will watch this thread closely but will only look at the design of the building only when this must *is* approved..

I do like avatars building!love anything with silver! sydney dude is cool as well a big black building will be very 'a la chicago'.
Lets hope that this does get approved then these designs will be more relavant.
fingers and toes still crossed!!!!
zulu69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2003, 02:01 PM   #64
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 20805

nah i disagree! Residential towers NEED balconies! There living breathing structures! with humans inside!We live in Sydney man! its a nice enough climate for them so why not include with design! Glassed in residential towers suck big time! Trump tower and Time warner (which is mostly office tower-has only a 200 units) are OK but in the end there just glass slabs! (Doesnt snow in NYC?to cold anyway for balcs!
no architectural merit whatsover! you can look at the bldg within 30 secs and thats it!yourve seen all of it, glass wall rising up 260m!
Now if you look at WT you can look at al ****** day! Its brilliant! thats why it has taken 3 years to build! Its a damn intricate structure!
anyway as for city one, i hope its a mixture of balconies, glazing, exposed concrete blades, ornate elements ect, kinda like Melbournes BHP hose with WT thown in and Angel Place!.
Church Hill tower- 1797, Macquarie Tower-1818, St James Church -1822, Garden Palace- 1879, Sydney Harbour Bridge -1932, Sydney Opera House- 1973, Sydney Tower- 1981, Crown Sydney- 2021, twin towers- 2024, supertall 2025 https://www.buildsydney.com/forum
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2003, 05:30 PM   #65
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 617

I know we need balconies, I'm not saying we don't.

I would just like to see some buildings like trump tower though. Faceless walls 260m of reflective type glass. These massive towers exude something special. Stand on Roosevelt island and tell me any different... Trump World Tower might lack some flair in originality but it makes up for it in absolute presence, it dominates the east river around midtown.

Anyway what I would like to see is towers with reflective curtain walls with small indents for balconies... backed with the same tint so as to create a homogenous look, there is no need for the siedlerisms of curvey hernias in concrete, or skeletal remains of the day as in world tower, integration can provide a complete and sleek look and still give Sydney people the balconies they desire.

Last edited by Avatar; September 22nd, 2003 at 05:32 AM.
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2003, 05:44 PM   #66
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 617

They can build the original Angel Place if they want... it reminds me of the perfect Star Gate Go'auld homeworld skyscraper.

It was awesome... my type of building. Awesome in bronze and gold reflective glass!
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2003, 11:34 PM   #67
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

Excellent rendering Sydneydude. As Culwulla would say "It will stick out like dogs balls."

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2003, 12:51 AM   #68
spazpecker

Likes (Received): 0

66 replies and almost 700 views since this thread was started by Cul only 48 hours ago......I think we're desperate for this one !
How is this going to turn out in the end? Either or . I'm guessing it's gonna be this >>>> .
Best to be a cynical prick because any good news is a bonus !
spazpecker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2003, 03:10 AM   #69
routemarker
Looking for the Way out?

Likes (Received): 7

lol i bet it will be another angel place...
Old September 30th, 2003, 11:31 PM   #70
Fabian

It's gone public. The State Government could come into this too!!!

From The Sydney Morning Herald

Hotel uplift could fund Wynyard upgrade
By Sean Nicholls
October 1, 2003

A long-awaited upgrade of Wynyard station could be partially funded by the redevelopment of the Menzies Hotel, under a plan being considered by State Rail and the City of Sydney council.

It would be the second major Sydney train station upgrade paid for in part by developers. A plan to fund almost half the $43.3 million upgrade of North Sydney station through developer contributions was agreed to by the former NSW transport minister Carl Scully in March.

The development and hotel group Thakral Holdings wants to demolish the Menzies, which it leases from State Rail, and build a skyscraper in its place.

The development would incorporate the Wynyard retail complex above the train station, which includes Hunter Arcade, Menzies Arcade and the Wynyard retail ramps that Thakral leases from State Rail, as well as a 13-storey office block on George Street at the other side of the station owned by the company.

Thakral has briefed the city council's Central Sydney Planning Committee on a plan to redevelop the site, but the committee has expressed concerns over the scale and bulk of the proposal.

However, a revised scheme was presented to the committee two weeks ago. The managing director of Thakral, John Hudson, confirmed the company had put a proposal to the State Government.

"It's still very preliminary," Mr Hudson said. "And what may or may not arise is the subject of some discussion".

The city council would create a special local environment plan for the site to allow for an increase in building density, and the plan would need the consent of the planning minister, Craig Knowles.

A State Rail spokeswoman, Jane Lavender, confirmed talks had been held with the developer about including the station upgrade in its redevelopment plans.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Old October 1st, 2003, 12:20 AM   #71
andad1

Good to see that the proposal has gone public. Sounds like Thakral is really pressuring the State Government for a go ahead.
Gee it would be a dream if the taller and larger design that was originally proposed was the preferred option.
Let's wait some more with baited breath!!
andad1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 01:59 AM   #72
CULWULLA

about time this is out now! Im doing some models of this baby over next few weeks so ill keep you informed on its "progress'!
fingers crossed!
Church Hill tower- 1797, Macquarie Tower-1818, St James Church -1822, Garden Palace- 1879, Sydney Harbour Bridge -1932, Sydney Opera House- 1973, Sydney Tower- 1981, Crown Sydney- 2021, twin towers- 2024, supertall 2025 https://www.buildsydney.com/forum
Old October 1st, 2003, 08:46 AM   #73
Fabian

It's good that the public now know what could happen to Wynyard but it was disappointing that they didn't release any renderings or further details, which people should know about too keep them interested.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Old October 1st, 2003, 08:53 AM   #74
SydneyDude
me!

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally posted by CULWULLA
about time this is out now! Im doing some models of this baby over next few weeks so ill keep you informed on its "progress'!
fingers crossed!
wow culwulla is that you????

lol kiddin- I have a good feelin about this. I reckon it will all go ahead because Frank Sartor is no longer Lord Mayor, and every one is a winner! Eispecially the tens of thousands of people that use Wynyard Station every day.

This tower will bump sydneys 200m+ (to roof) count up to 7! impressive to say the least.

I LOVE IT SO MUCH IT HURTS......
SydneyDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 01:21 PM   #75
CULWULLA

Quote:
Originally posted by SydneyDude

lol kiddin- I have a good feelin about this. I reckon it will all go ahead because Frank Sartor is no longer Lord Mayor, and every one is a winner! Eispecially the tens of thousands of people that use Wynyard Station every day.

This tower will bump sydneys 200m+ (to roof) count up to 7! impressive to say the least.
its the chick from 24.
yeah i have been told that Thakral want to build ONLY the BIG option and wont settle for smaller or alternate schemes. I just hope the council will listen and adapt there plan into reality! seriously though, i think this is Sydney's last chance for a 200m+ tower for at least a decade!! hope it doesnt slip thru our hands!
Old October 1st, 2003, 02:54 PM   #76
andad1

What's the total height of Thakral's BIG proposal.....is this the Citicorp look a like that's on page 1 of this thread??
andad1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 10:53 PM   #77
Fabian

Quote:
Originally posted by SydneyDude

His successor Lucy Hughes Turnbull has the same attitude as Sartor so were not saved for now. Maybe next year when the residents elect the new mayor.

and andad it's proposed at 235 metres at present.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Old October 2nd, 2003, 01:57 AM   #78
CULWULLA

Quote:
Originally posted by andad1
What's the total height of Thakral's BIG proposal.....is this the Citicorp look a like that's on page 1 of this thread??
well they would like to go to 235m + features above.
but council think its inappropriate for that area of town, so they would like it lower, say 150m, but thakral are going to put up a hard arguement to keep the height up!
Old October 2nd, 2003, 04:48 AM   #79
spazpecker

Quote:
Originally posted by CULWULLA
well they would like to go to 235m + features above.
but council think its inappropriate for that area of town, so they would like it lower, say 150m, but thakral are going to put up a hard arguement to keep the height up!
Cul, what CSPC height zone does the actual site fall under?
I thought it was the full 235m on that part of George St. If it is 235m then the CSPC doesn't have much of an arguement re: its "appropriateness" for that part of town, surely ?

Man, I can so see this becoming a shortened 150m tower - meaning that nothing gets done and we end up with a very average underground station for many many years to come..........
spazpecker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003, 05:15 AM   #80
Mar

Likes (Received):

SCC is a disgrace. So much potential for this site, and they want to cut it down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
sydney