**PROJECTS: Low/Mid Rises (under 10 levels)** - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > South Australia

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 18th, 2004, 04:02 AM   #41
jacobsian

Likes (Received): 397

It was mentioned that he bought up all the land on the corner, and i've always assumed that it'd be built on the North Terrace site with the 2 empty rundown buildings. I wouldn't look into their being for lease, they've been vacanat for over a year and a half.

No firm time frame was ever given.
jacobsian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2004, 10:28 AM   #42
Adelarch

Likes (Received): 10

I'm sure the views from that location would be stunning, however the building itself might look a tad odd in the skyline given the context of low to mid-rise (which wont be changing anytime soon). You only have to look at the Optus building on King William Street to know what I'm talking about, and in this location the effect would be far more pronounced.

IMO a height-limit testing building would be better located more centrally to reinforce the 'pyramid' effect - but another Horizon-type number might be just the right thing in this location
Adelarch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2004, 08:47 AM   #43
Will

Likes (Received): 0

Even with a 50m building he would be seriously testing the height restrictions for that part of the city.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that height restrictions for that part of the city are only 25-30m.
Will no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2004, 10:54 AM   #44
Boyler_Room

Likes (Received):

The height limit to the North Terrace frontage in that precinct is 26.6m, so he could go up to about 9 stories (but that's pushing the envelope).

Newmarket Hotel (1-7 Nth Tce) is heritage listed too. Did you say he owns that? Or just the vacant stuff next door?

Regards,
Boyler Room
Old July 19th, 2004, 11:38 AM   #45
Adder-Laid
no way sis

Likes (Received): 3

I'd doubt it's the same owner of the Newmarket... from what I gather, Bikers aren't generally huge in the skyscraper development business
Adder-Laid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2004, 11:10 AM   #46
Adelarch

Alpha getting close to finished:

and Bent St apartments emerging from wraps:

Old August 8th, 2004, 01:31 PM   #47
Adder-Laid
no way sis

Does alpha have public carparking built in, or is that for tennants only?
Old August 8th, 2004, 01:46 PM   #48
jacobsian

There's 5 levels of parking, so I assume there's public parking in there (unless tenants own 7 cars each).

One thing that always pops in my head when I check out this building - how much would it piss you off if you lived there, and every week some hoon with a stereo made your floor vibrate at 2am...
Old August 13th, 2004, 08:18 AM   #49
Will

Likes (Received): 0

Alpha and Bent are coming along very nicely, that part of the city has improved a lot over the last few years. The Garden East Apartments, the Maxwell Building, the Ritz Hotel and the Majestic Roof Hotel have all given a very elegant and modern appearance to the Rundle Street area.
Will no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2004, 10:52 AM   #50
Adder-Laid
no way sis

Quote:
Originally Posted by yob
every week some hoon with a stereo made your floor vibrate at 2am...
Sorry... lol
Old August 17th, 2004, 01:34 PM   #51
Adelarch

New one, from the ACC website. Can't for the life of me remember what the Tivoli Hotel looks like - anyone got a pic?

Curtain Goes Up on New Future for Tivoli Hotel
16 August 2004

A multi-level apartment, restaurant and residential car parking building in Pirie Street on the site of the historic Tivoli Hotel was tonight approved by the Development Assessment Panel of the Adelaide City Council.

The proposal involves the upgrade the existing Tivoli Hotel and construction of a seven storey building providing housing for around 70 people, straddling the single storey historic musical hall and theatre building at the rear of the Tivoli Hotel.

The existing Tivoli Hotel will be maintained and upgraded and have an up-market bar on the ground floor and 10 hotel suites on the first floor. The heritage music hall at the rear of the Hotel will be converted to a quality fine food restaurant. The first two levels of the building will contain 28 car parking spaces for residents and the upper five levels will offer 24 residential apartments. Levels three to five will be two bedroom apartments and levels six and seven will offer six three bedroom apartments over two levels.

The Lord Mayor Mr Michael Harbison said: "This is an exciting positive development for the City which encourages City living and active street frontage in the rapidly developing East End of the City."

"It is an innovative project which not only retains a building of remarkable and unusual structure but also preserves an integral link to our past dating back to 1850.

"Approval ensures the viability of restoring the hotel land use, which has stood vacant since 2002, and upgrades the heritage fabric of the building and the City."
Old August 17th, 2004, 04:39 PM   #52
Adder-Laid
no way sis

Sad day...

Had many a good night in the Tiv as "nations" and "rush"...
Old August 17th, 2004, 05:44 PM   #53
jacobsian

I remember seeing Damaged play there. Shook the building around nicely.

It's not really a nice looking building at all IMO. Gutted though that instead of heavy metal tharash fests, it's now going to play host to winewankers enjoying their steak.
Old August 18th, 2004, 11:09 AM   #54
Adelarch

Yeah, now that you mention heavy metal music I've got a vague recollection of the place now...vague most probably due to inebriation at the time
Old August 18th, 2004, 05:00 PM   #55
Adder-Laid
no way sis

I literally looks like a country hotel from the front, which has had it's bricks painted a creamy colour... It has a balcony which extends all the way along the front, which hasn't been used for years due to safety...
Old August 18th, 2004, 08:12 PM   #56
TooFar
moonage daydream

Likes (Received): 395

Sad, another great local rock venue bites the dust. There is so much history in that place someone should write a book.
Old August 21st, 2004, 02:02 AM   #57
AG

Likes (Received): 576

After the crane base has been sitting on the Advertiser site, the new crane is finally going up this morning. The first floor pour looks nearly there.
AG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2004, 04:38 AM   #58
jacobsian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooFar
Sad, another great local rock venue bites the dust. There is so much history in that place someone should write a book.
For me, it was part of the big 3 - The Crown and Anchor, 7 Stars Hotel and Tivoli (as far as live music goes). 7 Stars is probably safe from developers but there's a massive anti noise nimby brigade around there, and well.... the cranka is in midrise residential development heartland.... please no
Old August 22nd, 2004, 01:17 AM   #59
TooFar
moonage daydream

Likes (Received): 395

I hear that the Austral is also under the pump.
I guess I go back another generation, these were my faves, The Tiv, Old Lion (ruined by development) and the Bridgeway and believe it or not the Glenelg footy club was the place to be on Sundays, before Lennies killed it off (King of all pickup joints). This could be a new thread – Adelaide favorite venues.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 08:39 AM   #60
pikey
Power 2004

Likes (Received): 81

Any else seen this render??? I aint, but it loos rather swoooit!!

Advertisement