NZ | Sports Thread - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > KiwiScrapers

KiwiScrapers Kia Kaha » Auckland | Wellington | Christchurch | Hamilton | Regional Cities

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 24th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #21
cambennett

Likes (Received): 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthbeach View Post
would love to see the ACG with a 25k stadium half stadium, half grass embankment at Albany. Sheikh Zayed Stadium in Abu Dhabi is a good starting point for a new cricket ground http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/othe...und/59396.html
Albany is a long way for most Aucklanders, but they choose to live there.
I have always though North Harbour stadium would be possible as an Auckland cricket ground there is nowhere near as much rugby played on it as Eden park and so could work better as a multi purpose ground. I think they have one super 14 game a year there and then notthing until the end of the club season and NPC so there would not be clashes.

With the busway and motorway heading straight up there it's now easy to get to but still i think there is a perception from Aucklanders on the southern side of the bridge that Albany is the middle of nowhere.

However it is built as a rugby stadium so it would be an awkward shape for cricket as Eden Park was and i'm not sure if the field would be big enough for cricket maybe it would.

The best thing about that is at 25K it could be used for ODIs as well.

Last edited by cambennett; February 24th, 2009 at 09:23 PM.
cambennett no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 24th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #22
cambennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howdy View Post
Aren't there plans to turn the outer oval into a "boutique" venue as part of the overall redevelopment. I think they were aiming for a capacity of about 7K.
Did not know that. That's great. 7K is probably a good size for a test venue in NZ.
Old February 24th, 2009, 11:18 PM   #23
jarbury
Resident Planner

Likes (Received): 25

Yes there are plans for Eden Park outer oval. I think the ground needed to be made a bit bigger and obviously need a few thousand seats. I think they were aiming for around 10k capacity.

However nothing can really be done until after the current construction at Eden Park is completed. So maybe we'll see Test Cricket in about 2013.... aaarrrggghhhh
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #24
cambennett

Really?? Woah that's just pathetic. No test cricket for four years?

Is there anywhere that could be used as an interim venue?
Old February 25th, 2009, 12:35 AM   #25
jarbury
Resident Planner

Don't think so.

Personally I don't see a problem with the main Eden Park ground being used for Test Cricket. So what if it looks empty with 5000 people in it, it's still more people than a full 3000 capacity stadium.
Old February 25th, 2009, 12:58 AM   #26
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 yrs), Auckland NZ (7 yrs), Stockholm, Sweden (8 yrs), NOW: Glasgow, UK
Likes (Received): 12039

Look at how empty Lord's or the MGC can be sometimes during test matches. I'm of a similar mind to you, Eden Park is better than a much smaller dedicated venue.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 01:18 AM   #27
cambennett

We are never going to get massive crowds here for test matches. I really do like the idea of having dedicated grounds for test cricket. It would be nice for Auckland to have a basin reserve type cricket ground with a grass embamkment.

However if the outer oval is not going to be ready until about 2013 then i agree why not use the main ground for the time being it's done ok up til recently.
Old February 25th, 2009, 01:34 AM   #28
jarbury
Resident Planner

There's a BIG Indian population in Auckland so I reckon the current tour would have got pretty good crowds to the Test Matches. Who the heck wants to go all the way to Hamilton.... (though I must admit I am considering it).

The ODI in Auckland might be a sell-out with the reduced capacity.
Old February 25th, 2009, 01:52 AM   #29
cambennett

Yeah fair call actually the Indian community does usually come out in force when the Indians tour.

Personally i'm really looking forward to this tour ( i'm also considering taking a day off work to head down for the Hamilton test match) more to see some of the Indian players in action than any real hope i have of us winning much. In saying that we should as usual be competitive in the ODIs (hopefully).
Old February 25th, 2009, 02:25 AM   #30
jarbury
Resident Planner

Yes I agree. Last chance to ever see Tendulkar play in NZ I would suspect.
Old February 25th, 2009, 05:31 AM   #31
cambennett

Yep and possibly Dravid and VVS Laxan as well they are both nearing the end of their careers i think.

Jeez who would want to be a black caps bowler with the batting lineup they have?
Old February 25th, 2009, 05:32 AM   #32
Milan Luka
stupid sexy flanders

Likes (Received): 1175

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambennett View Post

Are there any other parks around Auckland you think could be developed as potential test venues? None spring to find for me.
I dunno, how about something on the waterfront? Oh its been suggested and shot down already? Oh well maybe again one day?
Milan Luka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 05:36 AM   #33
Milan Luka
stupid sexy flanders

Likes (Received): 1175

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarbury View Post
There's a BIG Indian population in Auckland so I reckon the current tour would have got pretty good crowds to the Test Matches. Who the heck wants to go all the way to Hamilton.... (though I must admit I am considering it).
Yep, the indian community is very good at supporting their team. I work with an Indian guy who got citizenship on Waitangi day and he will be going tonight with his black caps shirt on.

Another pipe dream would be imagine a high speed rail service between the two centres where an Aucklander could easily consider going to Hamilton for a one dayer and being able to get back home by midnight.
Milan Luka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 07:35 AM   #34
cambennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan Luka View Post
I dunno, how about something on the waterfront? Oh its been suggested and shot down already? Oh well maybe again one day?
Oh no, let's not revisit that. Too depressing.

One thing about a waterfront cricket ground, a lot of cricket balls would end up in the drink.
Old February 25th, 2009, 10:07 AM   #35
nthbeach

Likes (Received): 49

my suggestion for albany was not for the rugby ground but for the cricket ground behind it, build a new stand around half of that ground
nthbeach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #36
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 yrs), Auckland NZ (7 yrs), Stockholm, Sweden (8 yrs), NOW: Glasgow, UK
Likes (Received): 12039

Quote:
my suggestion for albany was not for the rugby ground but for the cricket ground behind it, build a new stand around half of that ground
In my opinion we shouldn't start moving everything to the far flung corners of the city, it kills life.

It's one complaint I've always had about the Allianz Arena in Munich (despite it having excellent transport connections and being a great stadium to boot) - it's in the middle of bloomin' nowhere and thus it's very much a "travel to then travel back" venue. Despite having a megamall at Albany there is no street life, and no ambience. The very best stadia I have been to all have street life and something to hold one to the area after a match (and before a match too) rather than the rush to car, rush to home mentality which some stadiums encourage.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #37
cambennett

Quote:
that's basically building a whole new stadium i would think the cost would be too great. Eden park outer oval has some stands and practice nets. It's at least half ready to go.
Old February 25th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #38
Howdy

Likes (Received): 7

Anybody know if the dimensions at AMI have been adjusted due to the construction work? During the T20 tonight one boundary (towards the existing stand) looked tiny.
Howdy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #39
piles

Likes (Received): 9

Yeah, the whole pitch allignment was very strange. I hope once the stadium is complete it is all sorted out.
piles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 09:36 PM   #40
Kane007
12 Solo's so far!

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
In my opinion we shouldn't start moving everything to the far flung corners of the city, it kills life.

It's one complaint I've always had about the Allianz Arena in Munich (despite it having excellent transport connections and being a great stadium to boot) - it's in the middle of bloomin' nowhere and thus it's very much a "travel to then travel back" venue. Despite having a megamall at Albany there is no street life, and no ambience. The very best stadia I have been to all have street life and something to hold one to the area after a match (and before a match too) rather than the rush to car, rush to home mentality which some stadiums encourage.
Yeah, by these requirements neither has Eden Park or Mt Smart!

As the most venerable D Lange would say..."Stupid, I can smell the hydrocarbons on your breath from over here!"
Kane007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement