NZ | Sports Thread - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > KiwiScrapers

KiwiScrapers Kia Kaha » Auckland | Wellington | Christchurch | Hamilton | Regional Cities

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 25th, 2009, 09:48 PM   #41
jarbury
Resident Planner

Likes (Received): 25

Eden Park does have Kingsland and the Eden Quarter shops quite nearby. It's hardly in the middle of nowhere as much as Albany is. Of course it's not ideal though
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2009, 03:39 AM   #42
cambennett

Likes (Received): 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarbury View Post
Eden Park does have Kingsland and the Eden Quarter shops quite nearby. It's hardly in the middle of nowhere as much as Albany is. Of course it's not ideal though
Yeah even as a north shore resident i have to agree Eden park is the better option. It's centrally located, not far from the CBD and has plenty of bars and shops around. Pity it's also surrounded by suburbia.
cambennett no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 05:23 AM   #43
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 yrs), Auckland NZ (7 yrs), Stockholm, Sweden (8 yrs), NOW: Glasgow, UK
Likes (Received): 12030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane007 View Post
Yeah, by these requirements neither has Eden Park or Mt Smart!
Mt Eden is at least a little better as Kingsland does have a commercial centre with bars nearby. It's slightly better than "middle of field with megamall and parking" albany. Guess I just hate albany more than anything though.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2009, 05:44 AM   #44
jarbury
Resident Planner

Likes (Received): 25

Yes Albany is a bit..... plastic at the moment. I hope that in a few years the empty fields will fill up and we'll actually have something resembling a proper town centre. The northern side of the Westfield has been designed quite nicely, but in the end it's still a mall.

Oh, and it's annoying the busway doesn't actually take you to the mall. It's a weird walk from the bus station over to the Westfield.
Old February 26th, 2009, 06:01 AM   #45
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 yrs), Auckland NZ (7 yrs), Stockholm, Sweden (8 yrs), NOW: Glasgow, UK
Likes (Received): 12030

Quote:
Yes Albany is a bit..... plastic at the moment. I hope that in a few years the empty fields will fill up and we'll actually have something resembling a proper town centre. The northern side of the Westfield has been designed quite nicely, but in the end it's still a mall.

Oh, and it's annoying the busway doesn't actually take you to the mall. It's a weird walk from the bus station over to the Westfield.
Until they get rid of surface parking with a multistory parking complex, it will still feel very unfriendly to pedestrians. But this is a topic for another thread.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #46
Blah
Jafa

Likes (Received): 110

Super 14 is on? I hadn't noticed...the Blues have been playing all their games past midnight. This is why the South African teams need to be ditched. The timezones are messed up and don't match with NZ/Aussie. I say trash the S14 and just have a trans-tasman NRL-like comp.

I also like the idea of a conference system. Two pools of seven teams, one from NZ and one from Aus. The top three from each then go into a playoff type of format until the winner is found. It works because you can still have your local derby games and cut down on travel costs at the same time.

The seven NZ teams would probably be (Auckland, North Shore, Hawkes Bay, Bay Of Plenty, Wellington, Canterbury, Otago).
Blah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 08:07 AM   #47
Blah
Jafa

And yes, I missed Hamiltron on purpose
Old February 26th, 2009, 08:14 AM   #48
Blah
Jafa

Quote:
Gahhhhhhh

I can't believe that Auckland gets deprived of test cricket. Come on.....!
Why is that anyway? It's a joke that Auckland is getting shafted like this. I mean, they can hardly call that disgrace of a test match at the "University Oval" just recently a better venue. My backyard has better drainage

How can they expect cricket to be a popular game when Auckland barely sees a game of it. So short-sighted.
Old February 26th, 2009, 08:27 AM   #49
cambennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah View Post
Super 14 is on? I hadn't noticed...the Blues have been playing all their games past midnight. This is why the South African teams need to be ditched. The timezones are messed up and don't match with NZ/Aussie. I say trash the S14 and just have a trans-tasman NRL-like comp.

I also like the idea of a conference system. Two pools of seven teams, one from NZ and one from Aus. The top three from each then go into a playoff type of format until the winner is found. It works because you can still have your local derby games and cut down on travel costs at the same time.

The seven NZ teams would probably be (Auckland, North Shore, Hawkes Bay, Bay Of Plenty, Wellington, Canterbury, Otago).
Could not agree more. Discussed earlier in the thread. Trans tasman comp followed by champions league style knockout tourney with top four teams from trans tasman, curry cup (SA), and maybe Japan as they do in Europe.

Conferences would not work in a trans tasman comp in my opinion. Really don't think Australia could sustain any more than the current 4 union teams. Don't have the player depth or more importantly the fanbase to support more than that.
Old March 1st, 2009, 07:32 AM   #50
cambennett

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/new...oured-super-15

This has to be one of the dumbest things that they could do

A japanese team who plays home games in Australia and will probably be full of kiwi, aussie and SA players. I for one will be switching off. Far from improving the current comp this will make it more irrevelvant, contrived and of even less interest to you average rugby fan.
Old March 1st, 2009, 08:30 AM   #51
Howdy

Likes (Received): 7

Yeah, pretty much the dumbest move they could make. Its like they are trying to make the competition as crap as possible.
Howdy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 10:21 PM   #52
cambennett

They don't seem to be aware of why the competition has become so stale and interest has become so low.

Hopefully News ltd will know a turkey when they see one and tell them to go back to the drawing board. I doubt it though.

Rugby in this part of the world spends far too much time chasing casual sports fans and people who have not got any real interest in the game. What they are doing is isolating the traditional fans.

Last edited by cambennett; March 1st, 2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 05:31 AM   #53
Kiwi_Rich
Give em a taste of kiwi

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambennett View Post
Could not agree more. Discussed earlier in the thread. Trans tasman comp followed by champions league style knockout tourney with top four teams from trans tasman, curry cup (SA), and maybe Japan as they do in Europe.

Conferences would not work in a trans tasman comp in my opinion. Really don't think Australia could sustain any more than the current 4 union teams. Don't have the player depth or more importantly the fanbase to support more than that.
Its as though these rugby unions are run by complete ******* idiots - oh thats right they are; witness the well managed 2003 world-cup co-hosting...the 2007 world cup debacle; the several years of drop off in interest...and yet that moron Jock Hobbs had the guile to state that after the successful grand-slam at the end of 08 that the NZRU had been "successful" in winning back the support of the New Zealand public - ummm I don't think so; could he really be that naive?!

I think the idea of a trans-tasman comp would be fantastic; if there isn't enough of a player pool in Aus then a pacific islands team could be formed and based in somewhere like North Queensland or Melbourne with occasional games (i.e pre-season) at wherever was up to scratch in the pacific islands.

This way you could have something like 6 teams from Australia and 8 from NZ with say the top 6 being granted entry to a knockout "Heineken cup" style competition playing against the best 4 or 6 (probably 4) teams from a combined South African and Argentinian competition. I mean I am all for expanding the game into Asia but to pique people's interest in the game would be to hold more exhibition matches ala ManUtd. not to have a crappy team that no-one in any timezone will be interested in seeing; getting thrashed 10000miles from Nagoya or Edmonton.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 05:34 AM   #54
Kiwi_Rich
Give em a taste of kiwi

Likes (Received): 0

Oh yeah the most important point that I missed though was that you get more of the Derby atmosphere that people actually care about to help stimulate television ratings and bums on seats; its pretty hard to get excited about going to a half-finished ami stadium to watch the Crusaders play against some nameless; no-face Saffa outfit and it will be even harder to watch them play "Toyota city"
Old March 2nd, 2009, 05:50 AM   #55
cambennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi_Rich View Post
Its as though these rugby unions are run by complete ******* idiots - oh thats right they are; witness the well managed 2003 world-cup co-hosting...the 2007 world cup debacle; the several years of drop off in interest...and yet that moron Jock Hobbs had the guile to state that after the successful grand-slam at the end of 08 that the NZRU had been "successful" in winning back the support of the New Zealand public - ummm I don't think so; could he really be that naive?!

I think the idea of a trans-tasman comp would be fantastic; if there isn't enough of a player pool in Aus then a pacific islands team could be formed and based in somewhere like North Queensland or Melbourne with occasional games (i.e pre-season) at wherever was up to scratch in the pacific islands.

This way you could have something like 6 teams from Australia and 8 from NZ with say the top 6 being granted entry to a knockout "Heineken cup" style competition playing against the best 4 or 6 (probably 4) teams from a combined South African and Argentinian competition. I mean I am all for expanding the game into Asia but to pique people's interest in the game would be to hold more exhibition matches ala ManUtd. not to have a crappy team that no-one in any timezone will be interested in seeing; getting thrashed 10000miles from Nagoya or Edmonton.

Amen to that brother. It's not just our rugby union either the aussies have also been leading the push to expand into asia and other areas. I agree exhibition matches would be more effective and perhaps the champions league style comp would help promote the game there as well.

The PI team might be a hard one because most of the best PI players who don't already play for Kiwi or Aussie sides play in Europe.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 05:53 AM   #56
cambennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi_Rich View Post

Oh yeah the most important point that I missed though was that you get more of the Derby atmosphere that people actually care about to help stimulate television ratings and bums on seats; its pretty hard to get excited about going to a half-finished ami stadium to watch the Crusaders play against some nameless; no-face Saffa outfit and it will be even harder to watch them play "Toyota city"
They would proably also have some naff team like the "toyota city samurai" or the "Yokohama Origami" or somthing stupid like that.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 09:44 PM   #57
Blah
Jafa

God....Super 15?! Haven't they got enough teams?! It's not like the Force and Cheetahs are taking the competition by storm
Old March 2nd, 2009, 09:47 PM   #58
Blah
Jafa

BTW, I think this may have been mentioned already but can we please get the regional names back. Call them the Auckland Blues and Waikato Chiefs for the love of god. I know that doesn't include the entire franchise...but so what? Same as the African teams...where the hell are the Lions and Cheetahs from? No one knows....
Old March 3rd, 2009, 02:00 AM   #59
Milan Luka
stupid sexy flanders

Likes (Received): 1175

Just over an hour before the one day series with India kicks off in Napier. Anyone care to predict how the series will go? I predict 3 wins to NZ, 1 to India and 1 rained out!

Oram and Ryder return to the team. I'm surprised Elliott did so well last month- I'm hoping he continues his good run.
Milan Luka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 02:55 AM   #60
cambennett

I'm going to be positive and say a 3 -2 series win to the black caps. Before they give us an absolute shellacking in the test series.

Elliot was an interesting selection from what i saw of him before the Aussie tour he just looked like a bits n peices cricketer, dribbly medium pace bowler and a competent but unspectacular lower order batsman. I didn't rate him at all and was really surprised he did so well against them. Great that Oram's back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement