Projects & Discussion | SYDNEY | General Public Transport Thread - Page 398 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 21st, 2014, 04:33 PM   #7941
kontaveit2012

Likes (Received): 16

I am sorry but why does it cost $2,000,000,000 to add 2 stations in a less developed area of Sydney? I mean I know everything in Australia is expensive but that is just ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoshowwithoutPunch View Post
The Carlingford line doesn't really exist - it's a joke line that isn't useable. So, no PERL would have added stations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Exactly. There is no point in it existing in its current state. This would actually bring life to Carlingford Railway Station and Suburb. Clyde is a useless connection for them.

Aside from CBDSELR and NWRL there are no projects that will cater to as many people as PERL :shrug:
kontaveit2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2014, 05:24 PM   #7942
MILIUX
skyscraper connoisseur

Likes (Received): 380

It's a 11km new rail line with three new stations including upgraded Glenfield. There are flyovers at Glenfield and multi storey car parks. There's a stabling facility for 20 trains at Leppington.
MILIUX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 05:02 AM   #7943
BuildBigger

Likes (Received): 301

They are also under budget as well. Not sure how many billions the project costs now but it should be under 2.

Edit: Just read the Transport for NSW media release that outlined that the project cost 2.1 billion but is now 100 million under budget. I guess we won't see this project dip under the 2 billion dollar mark.

Last edited by BuildBigger; April 22nd, 2014 at 05:09 AM. Reason: new information
BuildBigger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2014, 05:34 AM   #7944
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

Quote:
Presumably just before an election. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
And thats my bet too, they will open in March next year.

But until then, don't they have to do testing of the line to make sure all is set to go and then we have to adjust the timetable?

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 08:32 AM   #7945
NoshowwithoutPunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildBigger View Post
They are also under budget as well. Not sure how many billions the project costs now but it should be under 2.

Edit: Just read the Transport for NSW media release that outlined that the project cost 2.1 billion but is now 100 million under budget. I guess we won't see this project dip under the 2 billion dollar mark.
You won't get any prizes for saying the project was 1.9 bill. Best round it up to 2!
NoshowwithoutPunch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 01:31 PM   #7946
kontaveit2012

I still can't comprehend A) how it was worth it, B) how it cost that much and C) why they would favour it over other projects. Sydney needs a lesson in cost management when the whole Porto Light Metro cost less than an 11KM extension into a less-developed area of Western Sydney
Old April 22nd, 2014, 01:52 PM   #7947
MILIUX
skyscraper connoisseur

The government has built a railway for additional 300,000 new residents in South West growth area. For once, we built a railway before housing.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 02:17 PM   #7948
kontaveit2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILIUX View Post
The government has built a railway for additional 300,000 new residents in South West growth area. For once, we built a railway before housing.
Now that is a good point
Old April 22nd, 2014, 02:17 PM   #7949
NoshowwithoutPunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILIUX View Post

Agree.

I wouldn't be so worried about the number of stations. The line is 11km long. If it was on the north shore, it would be like Roseville, with seven or eight stations before it.

But they are learning. Overall transit time affected by unnecessary stops. No walk up demand, only drive or bus. Ample room for future expansion, unlike most earlier projects. Eg Cronulla 1939, absolutely a pain to expand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old April 22nd, 2014, 02:40 PM   #7950
MILIUX
skyscraper connoisseur

In the future the line will be extended to Badgery Creek, where there are jobs. So already it will link people with jobs catering for 300,000 people.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 05:58 PM   #7951
zoomwhoosh

Likes (Received): 1624

Quote:
You won't get any prizes for saying the project was 1.9 bill. Best round it up to 2!
I'm not giving out prizes for something that's under budget when it was horrendously over-costed in the first place.

pat_ liked this post
zoomwhoosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 02:29 AM   #7952
yoology

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
No walk up demand, only drive or bus.
I agree with the rest of your post, but not this bit.

Why is having people drive to the station desirable?

They have done this in Perth. The lines to the far northern and southern suburbs have little walk-up patronage. But these lines are designed to service Perth's extensive low-density coastal sprawl without costing a fortune.

The design of the suburbs surrounding these stations in Sydney's south-west should allow for plenty of walk-up patronage. The road network should allow for an efficient, simple bus network. Car parks at the stations should be the least desired option, not a major aim.
yoology no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 02:41 AM   #7953
NoshowwithoutPunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoology View Post

They have done this in Perth. The lines to the far northern and southern suburbs have little walk-up patronage. But these lines are designed to service Perth's extensive low-density coastal sprawl without costing a fortune.

The design of the suburbs surrounding these stations in Sydney's south-west should allow for plenty of walk-up patronage. The road network should allow for an efficient, simple bus network. Car parks at the stations should be the least desired option, not a major aim.
I'm not saying it is desirable, any more than the Perth situation. But it is the situation, at least until a town centre is built at both locations.

I too would like to see the parking removed as the area consolidates.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 03:36 AM   #7954
Coneslammer

Likes (Received): 23

I hope they get the mix of density and planning right. Now that the rail will already be in there, there's a chance to create a really special model of suburbia out there. I'm dubious but we'll see.
Coneslammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 04:10 AM   #7955
BuildBigger

Likes (Received): 301

I think that is their plan. Also it is so much easier with the larger councils and both being greenfield sites.
BuildBigger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 04:53 AM   #7956
Inego

Likes (Received): 191

There is of course a difference between planning and the built form resulting from demand. There is planning for medium rise (up to 8-10 storeys IIRC around both SWRL stations), but current and near term projected demand means such structures are unlikely for quite a while.
Inego no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014, 03:43 AM   #7957
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

Disappointed that the NRL is expecting fans to fork out for public transport to attend this afternoons NRL Blockbuster Game at Allianz Stadium. They will do it for ANZ but not Allianz.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014, 09:43 AM   #7958
hornetfig

Is this a surprise? The only location where event ticketing with included transport is ever available is Olympic Park.
hornetfig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2014, 11:00 AM   #7959
L2
L2 in 2020

Likes (Received): 1727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
Disappointed that the NRL is expecting fans to fork out for public transport to attend this afternoons NRL Blockbuster Game at Allianz Stadium. They will do it for ANZ but not Allianz.
I went to the Storm vs Warriors game at AAMI Park yesterday and had to pay my fare for the train, what's the big deal about it?
Old April 26th, 2014, 11:39 AM   #7960
pat_

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoology View Post

It's not desirable in the more inner city suburbs (i.e. Bondi Junction, Strathfield, Chatswood), but in the outer suburbs where there is absolutely no need nor likelihood of people living in high densities like they do in the inner city, not to mention the roadspace for the drive-up and a car park to match, drive-up makes sense. People who live in areas like this most likely prefer the low density environment of these areas - there's no point trying to force them onto a multi-modal public transport trip if they don't want it. However - same people will still prefer the (generally) reliable journey a train offers over (less reliable) traffic conditions, if the train line is going where they want to go.
pat_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
maglev bus to caboolture, mandurahboyz