Architects you admire the most - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Architects

Architects discuss the work, the news and the ideas of the world's best and famous persons and companies

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 19th, 2018, 11:05 PM   #1
mapece

Likes (Received): 585

Architects you admire the most

Since there's a thread for the architects we don't like, what about a thread about our idols or simply the architects we admire.

For me, before anyone else, is Frank Lloyd Wright. I still remember when I was 11 years old, and on the art book we used at school I saw for the first time a picture of Fallingwater. He represents (at least aesthetically) everything I like in architecture. He invented a new way to build, and his creativity was boundless, but he had also the desire to make buildings with a sense of warmth and humanity. He had a fantastic eye for detail, and his furniture is as beautiful as his buildings.
I'm not saying that everything he did was perfect (the flat ceilings notorious for leaks, the structural problems of some of his buldings (included Fallingwater), and many criticize the idea of Broadacre city.

Others architects I really admire:
Gaudi
Greene & Greene
Carlo Scarpa
Oscar Niemeyer
Eero Saarinen
Felix Candela
Reima Pietila
Jorn Utzon
Ray Kappe
Togo Diaz
Decio Tozzi
Joao Figuiras Lima (Lelè)
John Lautner
Richard Neutra
Ricardo Bofil

etc... Laurie Baker for his ideas about sustainable architecture, Kazuo Shinohara for his aesthetic rigor (altough I would never live in one of his houses), Paolo Soleri... the list could be long.
What about your favorite architects?

erbse, GeneratorNL liked this post
mapece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 14th, 2019, 09:24 PM   #2
RokasLT

Likes (Received): 5269

Modern architecture: being organic (warm), green, minimalistic, stylish, interesting, urbanistically refined - humanistic - socially friendly.

1. Norman Foster
2. Oscar Niemeyer
3. Adrian Smith
4. Santiago Calatrava
5. William Van Alen
6. Jørn Utzon
7. Fazlur Rahman Khan
8. Frank Lloyd Wright
9. Kengo Kuma
10. Jun Xia
11. John Schlossman
12. William Pedersen

Old masters:
1. Filippo Brunelleschi
2. Charles Barry
3. Antoni Gaudí
4. Donato Bramante
RokasLT está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2019, 04:58 AM   #3
ThatOneGuy
Real Horrorshow

I love what Ricardo Bofill does. He basically lived out my dream, buy a historic factory and convert it into your mansion and architectural studio.

I also like John Lautner for his timeless houses connected to the natural surrounding. In fact, any architect who focuses on environmental connection.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 16th, 2019, 09:26 PM   #4
citysquared

Likes (Received): 97

There's a beautiful factory-to-home conversion on Boston avenue in Leslieville Toronto. Small but charming, kept many of the fittings.

For residential architecture I adore Richard Neutra for simplicity, massive vertical glass planes and linkages with the outdoors.

Rem Koolhaas is up there for his pioneering gravity defying and jarring forms, an innovator who inspired a few baby Rems such as Zaha Hadid.

Truth and Love Must Prevail, Václav Havel
citysquared no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement