PLYMOUTH | The Boulevard and Millbay developments. - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > South West England > Plymouth Developments

Plymouth Developments Proposals, Construction and Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 11th, 2019, 02:12 PM   #21
messyp

Likes (Received): 24

Nice to see those pics. It's good that the Abbeyfield building is raising the height up a bit too.

Millbay is really starting to form into a nice little area with its own distinct identity. It's great to see the council planning team pushing for each new development's finish to fit in with the overall identity. The design & access statement of the hotel block that sits behind Abbeyfield on the waterfront (hopefully starting soon) is worth a read on the planning portal.

Overall I quite like the 'cargo/container' inspired look, particularly on the 'Red House' School building.

I've been thinking a lot about how a shipping container retail/food park would work really well in that area (even if just temporary while we await more development)

See boxpark in shoreditch for an example - think trendy hipster street food and retail. Great for Plymouths independents, great for 2020 and overall something more to draw people to the area.

RickLW liked this post

Last edited by messyp; March 11th, 2019 at 10:26 PM.
messyp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 11th, 2019, 09:34 PM   #22
RickLW

Likes (Received): 611

There is one at Bristol as well, along by the harbour near Brunel's Gt Britain. THere are many containers & it is popular. One recomended for burgers is 'Juiced' very good it is too!

messyp liked this post
RickLW está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2019, 10:06 PM   #23
RickLW

They've knocked a hole through from Colin Campbell Court to Western Approach. I don't know if anyone knows when they plan to demolish the other shops on the corner, including Costless? There ius also a derelict looking restaurant opp. the Market Way entrance as well.
Old March 14th, 2019, 02:18 PM   #24
PGTV

Likes (Received): 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLW View Post
They've knocked a hole through from Colin Campbell Court to Western Approach. I don't know if anyone knows when they plan to demolish the other shops on the corner, including Costless? There ius also a derelict looking restaurant opp. the Market Way entrance as well.
Not sure on exact timing. But through a Polish friend of mine, the shops have been told that they are planning to demolish the buildings.
PGTV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2019, 06:48 PM   #25
RickLW

They said you can see the line of 'The Boulevard. (Alliance Pol Drone).

Alliance Pol Drones by Richard James, on Flickr

cyril sneer, AbidM liked this post
Old March 24th, 2019, 08:51 PM   #26
cyril sneer

Likes (Received): 1409

Love that photo. Beckley Court looking good. I'm still clinging onto hope Mayflower House and Good Companions will see light of day to create a nice little cluster in that corner. The city centre is beginning to look very city-like now though. Really need some taller buildings lining Cornwall Street and New George Street. Even some four/five storey buildings would help it.
cyril sneer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2019, 10:26 PM   #27
RickLW

Young people are certainly getting involved in the new building projects -

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/new...inding-2766002
Old April 24th, 2019, 07:06 PM   #28
RickLW

New cafe/ restaurant going in at Abbeyfield. Plus further building information:-

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/wha...aurant-2787693
Old May 17th, 2019, 11:19 PM   #29
RickLW

Well along with the work at Abbeyfield now. I wonder what's next?. I know they were preparing to remove the Pavilions ramp. I would'nt think they will build a hotel there yet...not the best place to stay until it gets going...

Abbeyfield 1. by Richard James, on Flickr

Abbeyfield construction. by Richard James, on Flickr

cyril sneer, PGTV, RalphGuy liked this post
Old May 18th, 2019, 09:00 AM   #30
cyril sneer

A hotel next to Brittany Ferries might do good business though especially if it has a car park.
Old May 19th, 2019, 05:57 PM   #31
PGTV

It’s bloody embarrassing. Not the building, but the area.

Came off the ferry a few weeks back at around 11pm. All traffic is guided to the roundabout in union street (where KFC is).

Stuck in queue with other cars which just unloaded from the boat, couldn’t move.

Drunk or druggies scum decided to sit in the middle of the road to stop all the traffic, swearing and shouting. Some fat janners outside the kebab place, hardly dressed - looking rough as rats.

There was a coach from France full of school kids on the ship. Christ knows what their first impression of Plymouth, or even England for that matter

I was so embarrassed by this, an email was sent to PCC telling them what shame it brought, and do bloody something with union street. Yet to get a reply.

It needs urgent regeneration. No more talk. Just knock it down.

RickLW liked this post
Old May 19th, 2019, 07:06 PM   #32
RickLW

Well done. It is good to be pro - active & make a point.

One of the things I am on to the Council about is the levelling of Armada Way (& yes I would volunteer to drive the bulldozer). As the 'Better Places project is scrapped (goodness knows what that cost). I am insistent this is done before 2020. Have you seen the weed garden at the North Cross end? It's a disgrace - also, particularly for people coming off the train...complete with broken paving & a big dollop of tar-mac outside of Beckley Point.

The trees could be inspected, pruned & removed by tree surgeons. The trenches can be levelled and most of the pesky walls removed - tar-mac with stone edging could run down the centre. As Cyril says, some could be laid to lawn. This could be done Q3 2019 and completed by the Spring 2020.
Old May 19th, 2019, 11:34 PM   #33
PGTV

I don’t know what is wrong with Plymouth. Everywhere just looks unkept.

Litter all over the place. Weeds everywhere. Overgrown grass, shrubs, green areas etc. Paving uneven or broken. General shabby and dirty look

The bottom end of town looks like the blitz. One shop standing, the next demolished.

Kids/teens gathering on corners causing a nuisance. Druggies and drunks on every corner. Although Plymouth is still a “safe city” - it is looking seedy and dirty.
Old May 20th, 2019, 12:16 AM   #34
cyril sneer

Has the better places public realm project been scrapped??? That's disappointing if so. With the public realm works at the top near Drakes Circus the unbalance of the city centre is going to get wider.
Old May 20th, 2019, 12:51 AM   #35
RickLW

I was told by someone in the City Council who is involved with the project that - to quote 'Funding has been pulled', but they are applying to the future High Street Fund to get some money to do part of it. I hope this is not an excuse to procrastinate. My proposed ideas are simple and would not cost much to implement in comparison. Often 'Less is more'

The Old Town Street development is, of course British Land. I believe their idea, according to the article is to link the whole area together -DC Leisure through to the mall. I expect I will use the Primark door often anyway.
Old May 20th, 2019, 10:43 AM   #36
cyril sneer

Well that is disappointing. I was looking forward to Armada Way being sorted out. I wouldn't be surprised if they get Urban Splash to do the public realm outside the civic centre as part of the planning conditions. Whenever that'll be....
Old May 20th, 2019, 01:29 PM   #37
messyp

Likes (Received): 24

i thought the council had put back 27m for the city centre renovations, wonder where its gone...
messyp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2019, 12:01 AM   #38
PGTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by messyp View Post
i thought the council had put back 27m for the city centre renovations, wonder where its gone...
Hopefully on someone who answers the bloody phone when you try and phone the council
Old June 12th, 2019, 08:55 AM   #39
thinkbigleeds

Likes (Received): 4

I think Plymouth has enormous potential but like most councils in the country they are inefficiently run and lacking in ambition .It wouldn’t cost a lot to spruce up the city centre and make it look clean and tidy ...Just need someone to take the bull by the horns and do it A lot of the city centre buildings look tired and outdated but with a bit of creativity they could solve that overnight

RickLW liked this post
thinkbigleeds no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2019, 12:42 PM   #40
cyril sneer

Yes, PCC is most probably inefficiently run (which council isn't though?), but I don't think the city is lacking in ambition. Plymouth would probably be one of the greatest cities in the country if all the renders of tall buildings and public realm masterplans over the decades had come about. The thing is only about 25% (if that even) really come to fruitation, or at best are watered down. The city's ambitions are often too ambitious for what the city really is; a city with poor average wages, a sizable population in social housing, and an overly reliance upon public sector employment. Is it really any wonder that they can't get enough take up's on the proposed 1620 flats? Poor wages means no one can afford them. Simple as that.

Its no secret the root of the city's problems are its incredibly poor transport links. Until that is looked at and Plymouth at least has the opportunity to be on a level playing field as other similar sized UK cities with attracting high end employment then Plymouth will always be a poor city unattractive to speculative developers.

Millbay is a good example of how developments go in Plymouth. It has been some 20-30 years in the planning and its only now really getting off the ground but its still going to take another 10+ years for it all to be complete. In most other cities of the same size as Plymouth, then Millbay probably would have been complete by now. People getting excited about Colin Campbell Gate; I would suggest you'll probably have a 20 year wait for that to get off the ground as well.

The potential in the city is huge though. The Hoe, The Barbican, and The Royal William Yard are as nice as you will find anywhere in the UK. Large chunks of the city inbetween those three quarters are ripe for development. Its just that there is no money down here to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement